Matt Flynn to Raiders.

BurnleyJet

i just read the scouting report for geno smith. i admit i'm not a draftnik at all and i dont watch college football. the scouting report sounds promissing though. i dislike running qb's and i'll admit my first reaction seeing a black qb is "no not another running qb". appears he is more of apocket passer and the report said very good accuracy downfield, elite arm strength, good size, quick over the top release (but able to adjust arm angles), although doesnt have the speed to be a running qb has the athleticism to avoid rush and take the first downs when they are there, has pretty good pocket presence also. i would be just fine with taking him if this report is accurate.

i just read the scouting report for geno smith. i admit i'm not a draftnik at all and i dont watch college football. the scouting report sounds promissing though. i dislike running qb's and i'll admit my first reaction seeing a black qb is "no not another running qb". appears he is more of apocket passer and the report said very good accuracy downfield, elite arm strength, good size, quick over the top release (but able to adjust arm angles), although doesnt have the speed to be a running qb has the athleticism to avoid rush and take the first downs when they are there, has pretty good pocket presence also. i would be just fine with taking him if this report is accurate.

there's a little devil on my shoulder maybe the Raiders trade is them believing Geno goes 2 to Jac. 

the prob with Geno is Jets would be taking sloppy 7ths on this player. 7 QB needy teams are in front of the Jets. Why would they take this gem that wasn't good enough for 7 other QB teams? It's a chicken egg thing in the unlikely situation he makes it there, why do they want him? 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21965093/geno-smith-has-potential-but-not-the-overall-game-to-be-a-top10-pick

there's a little devil on my shoulder maybe the Raiders trade is them believing Geno goes 2 to Jac. 

the prob with Geno is Jets would be taking sloppy 7ths on this player. 7 QB needy teams are in front of the Jets. Why would they take this gem that wasn't good enough for 7 other QB teams? It's a chicken egg thing in the unlikely situation he makes it there, why do they want him? 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21965093/geno-smith-has-potential-but-not-the-overall-game-to-be-a-top10-pickyeah

yeah looking at the draft order i highly doubt he makes it to us. my bet is we take a pass rusher.

So what is the issue with Geno? Sounds good from the prospect profiles.

No body of work taking the ball from under center and questionable footwork are the two biggies that come up as potential negatives.  Lack of touch on deep balls has also come up.

No body of work taking the ball from under center and questionable footwork are the two biggies that come up as potential negatives.  Lack of touch on deep balls has also come up.

My biggest concern is his mental makeup. Reports that he sulks when things go bad, and has difficulty getting himself out of it sound way too Sanchezesque to me.

My biggest concern is his mental makeup. Reports that he sulks when things go bad, and has difficulty getting himself out of it sound way too Sanchezesque to me.

Thanks for the input. From what I hear he has a nice release and a strong arm, making him better than Sanchez already just based on those two things...

Somebody posted a highlight film of Geno Smith and from what I can see he didn't have the real strong arm.  I know he tested well on those ball speed tests, but in two sideline passes early in the film the ball was not thrown particularly hard.  I don't know if he purposely took something off the ball or what.

He's very mobile, so arm strength is much less important if you're good at buying time.  But for the record, on the basis of that film, he seems to have about average arm strength.

If Geno is there, the Jets have to take him.  More and more experts are finally beginning to say that people are underestimating this qb class becuase eveyone is comparing them to RG3, Luck, and Wilson.  Well that type of QB class is a once in 30 year class. Geno, Barkley, and Nassib are being compared to some good NFL QB's.  If Geno is there at 9, Jets have to take him, if he i gone which in my guess he will be, the Jets should consider Nassib in the 2nd.

I don't buy into the thought that "if he was good, the QB needy teams in front of us would take him". Look at the teams we are talking about. It is hardly the Steelers, Ravens, or 49'ers...these are the teams that are constantly making bad moves making judgements on what is best for their QB situations. Any team that thinks Matt Flynn, Carson Paler or Kevin Kolb are the answer are just plain dumb.

I still don't think they would draft Geno.

This is alarming to me.

Last time I looked, we need a LG, RG, a pair of OLBs, a CB (to replace Revis?), a pair of Safeties, help at WR, help at TE and help at RB. So... meanwhile, if we didn't have bad money tied up in Sanchez, Tebow and Holmes, we could have re-signed Revis already. All this money to pay for non-starting QBs, and now we're going to pick another QB and bow a 1st rounder on him?

No thanks.

We need starters with that #9 pick. We need starters from basically every pick we make this year, with as anemic as this roster is.

I'd much prefer we address the rest of the team, go get Ryan Fitzpatrick and bring him into camp with Garrard, Sanchez, Tebow and McElroy and let the best guy start this year. Then get ourselves a QB next year, when all our youth is in their 2nd-3rd year campaigns.

Too many holes to swing and miss on Geno, JUST because nobody else took him early. IMO, it's an indicator that we should pass on him since every other QB-needy team ahead of us has opted for veterans on the trash heap.

This is assuming of course that none of those teams signed veterans to give Geno a year to acclimate without pressure. If the Jets take Geno, they should be prepared to do the same. Sit him for a year, until the O-line is fixed.

Geno Smith isn't better than Mark Barkely. I'm disappointed that Geno couldn't get his team out of that 5 game losing streak. Can't blame him for the Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. loses as the defense has to show up but those loses against Texas Tech. and Kansas St. were awful. As for Barkley, why does he suck so much against Sanford? Also how can you dominate against Oregon and Arizona but not Washington. 

I don't buy into the thought that "if he was good, the QB needy teams in front of us would take him". Look at the teams we are talking about. It is hardly the Steelers, Ravens, or 49'ers...these are the teams that are constantly making bad moves making judgements on what is best for their QB situations. Any team that thinks Matt Flynn, Carson Paler or Kevin Kolb are the answer are just plain dumb.

I was thinking the same thing. These teams aren't picking ahead of the worst franchise in sports because they pile up the good decisions.

Not to say that I want to draft Smith, but I like him more as a prospect than I did earlier in the year. 

rg3 is a runner......

does anybody ever compare a black QB to a white QB?  All the sports shows make comparisons of QBs.  Black QBs are always compared to black QBs.  Don't they realize that this is explicit racism?

Bit and I have been having this back and forth for a while now and it's just a line of thinking that doesn't sit well with me.  Firstly, none of the teams drafting ahead of us really have that stellar of a draft record this past decade, so why we'd be following their draft decisions is beyond me.  Secondly, you don't make moves based off of what the teams ahead of you do; this isn't an argument for Smith, it's just an argument that you don't take someone off your board because teams ahead of you passed on him or teams behind you want him.  If Geno is the highest rated player on our board, you take him and don't look back.  I'm not saying he is that high on our board, just that the moves made by the teams ahead of us should not alter our plan.   Also, I'm tired of people saying they want to grab some impact starter with this pick and just try to land a developmental QB with our later selections to compete with the asshats we currently have on our roster.  That's just not how it works, there's a reason the vast majority of elite QBs were picked in the first.  If geno is there and he's rated highly, you make the move and don't look back.

hes not rly mobile. Hes mobile enough to avoid a pass rush but hes no scrambling qb. Rodgers and alex smith are more like a mobile qb then geno hes as much as a pocket passer as anyone

I'd say he's not a scrambling QB, but he is certainly mobile.  It's funny you mentioned Rodgers, because that's who I think he compares a lot to.  Not saying he's that good, but he has a good arm, accurate and is capable of using his legs to get a first down, but doesn't look to do so that often.  Dude ran a 4.6 and shocked everyone with his athleticism at the combine.

He worked a lot from under center during his sophomore year and didn't have any problems with it.

His footwork and pocket presence can be a little erratic, but those are really the only negatives that I've noticed and I've followed the kid extensively for the past 3 years.

Does he have some flaws? Sure, but so does every QB prospect not named Andrew Luck. And those guys only come around every 15-20 years and when they do, you better hope like hell that you have the #1 overall pick if you want to obtain them.

Personally, I don't think Geno will ever be some "super elite" QB in the mold of Brady or Peyton. But I could absolutely see him developing into a respectable Top 15 guy for a number of years. He actually reminds me a lot of Matt Hasselbeck when he was in Seattle.

And for a team with arguably the worst QB situation in the league, you don't pass on that for some passrusher with a ton of red flags like Mingo, Jones, Ansah, etc.

It's not like we're guaranteed to be in position to take Bridgewater next year anyway. If he isn't the #1 overall pick, then rest assured he'll be the second player off the board after Clowney. I don't see us being in that position. I don't think we'll be good this season, but I don't think we'll be 2-14 or 3-13 either.

I'd say he's not a scrambling QB, but he is certainly mobile.  It's funny you mentioned Rodgers, because that's who I think he compares a lot to.  Not saying he's that good, but he has a good arm, accurate and is capable of using his legs to get a first down, but doesn't look to do so that often.  Dude ran a 4.6 and shocked everyone with his athleticism at the combine.

yea i completly agree the best of both worlds imo cause u dont get hurt but can make plays. Thats why id dig if they got him at 9 if they had to trade up no way but 9 for a what i think is gonna be a solid just not world breaking starter for years to come

Archived