Revis trade official - No. 13 overall pick in 2013 and conditional 4th (can upgrade to a 3rd) in 2014

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is his fault. If he wasn't horrendous we wouldn't be rebuilding right now, we would be trying to win it all during the window that would exist if he was even Trent dilferesque. So it is his fault. Completely and utterly. His final victim will be Rex Ryan.

So Mark Sanchez makes personnel decisions? He chose to consistently draft defense and ignore the offense? He decided to keep Holmes on a deal he didn't earn and let Braylon walk? He decided to not bring any competition in to have a legitimate backup in place? He decided to draft himself and start himself day 1 without actually trying to see if he was any good after only one full season as a starter in college?

Right.

I am just a mere fan so no i am not a GM. But as an individual consultant i have been part of several negotiations.

You can believe all you want and that ok if helps you sleep thinking the JETS got the best deal. But they did not.

One thing i have seen in negotiations is whenever someone draws a line in sand and sets a deadline and ends up getting the deal done they have won and paid less that they intended to. This posturing is a usually a bluff and Idzik fell for it. Period.

How on earth did the Bucs pay less than they intended to? They were refusing to part with this year's 1st rounder and they did. Do you understand what words mean?

Or, Tampa gets the CB they wanted in the draft, and there are exactly zero teams interested in trading for Revis. The Jets keep him for 2013, lose him in free agency, he counts $9M against the cap in 2014 (instead of the $0 he'll count now), and the Jets get the 100th pick in the 2015 draft. 

Pretty big gamble to get -what?- something better than the #13 overall this year? 

good point, slats......i wana hate this trade as much as possible but its getting harder n harder too. We really had no other option it seems

The Bucs, Browns, Bengals, Jags, and Eagles are the ONLY teams in the league who could carry a 16M player right now, and that's before the draft.

Granted, other teams are close and could probably make it work, but the field is not so big for a 16M contract, regardless of the player.

tru tru

Francesa is just sad right now. Some caller brought up the fact that only one team wanted Revis and Mike launched into some weird bullsh*t about how Revis is a unique player whose value can't be understood, and Keyshawn got you two firsts blah blah blah. Total jabberwocky.

The Bucs, Browns, Bengals, Jags, and Eagles are the ONLY teams in the league who could carry a 16M player right now, and that's before the draft.

Granted, other teams are close and could probably make it work, but the field is not so big for a 16M contract, regardless of the player.

The fact that the Eagles didn't even make a phone call is the red flag for me. They have a legitimate chance to compete for a title in the next two years and have zero cornerbacks on the roster.

Francesa is just sad right now. Some caller brought up the fact that only one team wanted Revis and Mike launched into some weird bullsh*t about how Revis is a unique player whose value can't be understood, and Keyshawn got you two firsts blah blah blah. Total jabberwocky.

The string theory of player evaluation, Revis swatting down passes in the 11th dimension, that sort of thing. 

The fact that the Eagles didn't even make a phone call is the red flag for me. They have a legitimate chance to compete for a title in the next two years and have zero cornerbacks on the roster.

Francesa's show is entertaining but he is beyond out of touch and really provides zero analysis. He still thinks baseball is the number one draw in this town and nothing will ever change that.

If the Jets would have gave Revis that deal, he would be going all Bizarro right now.

The Jets wanted a 1/3/5, the Bucs wanted to give a 2/4, the Jets got a 1/3.  Would seem in this crazy little thing called negotiations, the final outcome fell waaaaaaaaay closer to the Jets price than the Bucs.  Not to mention the Bucs wanted the deal done weeks ago (back when they were offering a 2/4) but it only happened the week of the draft and for one reason, so the Jets could hold out for the best possible deal.  Again, you've got nothing here.

How can you say the Jets didn't get the "best" deal, when it was the only one being offered?

The Jets got the Best, Worst, and Only deal on the table.

They viewed that deal as better than 1) Paying Revis 16M a year in cash, and 2) Retaining Revis and losing him for no compensation the following year.

Those were the 3 options.  There were no other.  I like the one they picked, as do many others, it seems.

Just because somebody lowballs you to begin with and you get something better than that does not make it a good deal.

I was not happy yesterday but reading Peter King's account of what happened on the Bucs end makes me more sure that the JETS did not get the best deal. First of all The Bucs drew a line in sand with two picks and gave the deadline to the JETS to get a deal done. These are high pressure tactics used in negotiations from car salesman to billion dollar deals. Usually these pressure tactics are used to bluff to see if the other sides bites the bait and caves in. And the compensation offered in such situations by the entity that is using the high pressure tactics is lot less to less than they have internally agreed to offer.

Why the deadline ? There are deals made even right before or around the start of a draft. Given that this deal happened from start to finsih in less than 8 hours starting with Revis hoping to Tampa till him signing the deal with the physical included this deal could have been done on Thursday morning and still signed before the draft.  So why the artificial deadline ? It was just pressure from the Bucs. When you use this tactic you know what you are offering is a bargain to you and there is more room to give beyond that. AND the fact that this the deal got done within exactly those parameters means the JETS blinked and did not get the best deal the Bucs could offer.

Now i will not explain beyond this so if you still want to delude yourself into thinking that this the best deal the JETS got and Idzik is the master negotiator go ahead. I am not going argue it any further.

Bigger picture this also sends a message to the rest of the league and  agents.That message is "Meet the new GM, same as the old GM". Now the league knows Idzik will blink. So it will make it that much difficult for Idzik to get optimal value of anything in any trade. And then we wonder why the JETS can never catch a break or ever get the upper hand. This is why because you cave and you do not have great negotiators. Its absolutely disgusting to see this happen as a JETS fan!

This article is such sh*t.  This is the same Revis who during his holdout/lockup hiding in his uncle's house said he wanted no part of negotiations and that he was trusting his uncle and agents to handle all the talking, now all of a sudden wants to be in on every detail?  Besides that, why would the Jets divulge all their details to him, so he can run and tell his jagoff agents who can then leak it to the press? Righttt. 

He then goes on to say that he didn't make the system up and it's not what type of money he feels he wants, but a  player should be compensated for their work. But then goes onto say, you should be compensated for what you want.  Now it's probably more to do with his loose grasp on the english language than what he actually mean to say, but I would really like to hear his answer for, "so you feel your play is 40%+ better than the second best CB in the league?"  

He can say whatever he wants, but at least we have the peace of mind knowing that finally our GM won't be leaking or talking about any past/present/future negotiations or conversations that occurred in private.

What's your source for the bold? The Peter King article with no sources from the Jets' side of the negotiations? Lol!

You're a very small, vocal minority on this one. The Jets got the #13 pick in the draft for a player they weren't going to resign after this season, in a trade market that only had one interested team. The Jets'choices were to take that pick (plus the 3rd or 4th in 2014), or lose him in free agency to the Bucs next year and get the 100th pick in 2015 - because no matter how you want to gloss over that contract, the Jets were never going to pay Revis anywhere close to $16M/year. 

The JETS side does not matter. I do not ever care of Peter King's opinions. But this is his reporting of the situation from the end that was dictating the trade. The fact that no one has disputed it shows you he reported right.

What's your source for the bold? The Peter King article with no sources from the Jets' side of the negotiations? Lol!

You're a very small, vocal minority on this one. The Jets got the #13 pick in the draft for a player they weren't going to resign after this season, in a trade market that only had one interested team. The Jets'choices were to take that pick (plus the 3rd or 4th in 2014), or lose him in free agency to the Bucs next year and get the 100th pick in 2015 - because no matter how you want to gloss over that contract, the Jets were never going to pay Revis anywhere close to $16M/year. 

I have views that are independent on what everyone else is saying. :)

But i have not always been wrong.

I don't think Idzik did a bad job.  He got what he could considering nobody else wanted to trade picks or give Revis that money.   But nobody is saying Idzik did a good or great job.   So at this point, the Jets GM did what he had to do and got the minimal for their only star potential HOF player.   His hands were tied considering how much Revis wanted and the contract he inherited.   All is forgotten if the Jets go out and have a great draft.   It's not forgotten if the Jets trade down and wind up with little value or they pick a bust at 13. 

Nobody will care about the Revis trade if they go out and pick good players.  Thats where Idzik needs to shine.  Revis was gone. He wasn't resigning. The Jets weren't resigning him.  So Idzik got what he could and it's over. Not sure what most people expected.   

I just hope they pick someone good. But this being at the short end of a trade most of the times has gone too effing long!

The JETS side does not matter. I do not ever care of Peter King's opinions. But this is his reporting of the situation from the end that was dictating the trade. The fact that no one has disputed it shows you he reported right.

The only thing that shows me is that the new GM doesn't give a crap about what Peter King reports. That alone is a refreshing change. 

And if we're to believe the article word for word (and I don't), the only thing the Jets missed out on was a 5th round pick. The fact that you're going on and on about how they got fleeced over a 5th round pick is pretty silly. 

And I'm still waiting for the stories about all the teams that were in more difficult situations than the Jets were with Revis, his ACL, his contract demands, and their single suitor, and how they managed to do so much better. I expect that to be good reading. 

There is this fantasy mindset that teams will give up loads of draft choices for a player in a trade- do you know how hard it is to make any trade much less get a first round pick for  a player

There is this fantasy mindset that teams will give up loads of draft choices for a player in a trade- do you know how hard it is to make any trade much less get a first round pick for  a player

Yep.  If it weren't for the fact that Tampa Bay is run by a legally insane front office/HC combo Revis would still be a Jet, and he'd walk for a back end 3rd rounder.  

Now, we get that 3rd rounder in 2014 anyways, PLUS a 2013 1st rounder for our trouble.  All because the Bucs didn't want to simply wait a year to outbid themselves for Revis, because they feel this year, with Josh Freeman as their QB and in the same division as a pissed off Drew Brees and a pissed off Matt Ryan, is Tampa's year.  Tampa is stupid.

The only thing that shows me is that the new GM doesn't give a crap about what Peter King reports. That alone is a refreshing change. 

And if we're to believe the article word for word (and I don't), the only thing the Jets missed out on was a 5th round pick. The fact that you're going on and on about how they got fleeced over a 5th round pick is pretty silly. 

And I'm still waiting for the stories about all the teams that were in more difficult situations than the Jets were with Revis, his ACL, his contract demands, and their single suitor, and how they managed to do so much better. I expect that to be good reading. 

Who knows with a smart, ballsy negotiator we might have got better than a 5th round pick. To me and a lot of people the 1st, 34d and 5th was not enough compensation to begin with.

I missed the last part. Where did you ask. Top of my head, look at the Chargers trade with Giants where Rivers and Manning were exchanged. Mannig did not want to play in San Diego. And yet the Chargers never blinked and extracted good compensation for that deal. This deal happened after the draft had started. Chargers still picked Manning and Giants picked Rivers. At that point the Giants caved and gave up a quite a few picks, Its another thing they could not get a coach who could get that team to the promised land inspite of having loaded teams that were dominant in the regular season.

The Giants won the Super Bowl a few years after but they paid the price for getting Manning!

And at that point Manning had not even steeped on the field. And he sure as hell was not labeled as a potential HOFer!

That should not be an excuse for a poor trade. There are always reasons why teams want to make a trade. Many teams have been in worse situations and got better deals. These excuses are not sufficient to justify a poor trade.

All we  have is one starter less and have one pick to pick up a potential starter(at any position) if we get it right. All we got was 3rd or 4th rounder next draft which if the Bucs improve will  be in lower  part of the draft round.

I would like to hear some examples of the many teams that have been in worse situations and got better deals. Should be pretty easy for you to come up with if there are so many of them. 

For the record, the situation the Jets were in was having a HoF caliber CB coming off an ACL tear, with a history of holdouts, who wanted to be paid $16M/year, and only one team being willing to trade for him.

There you go, let's see that list. 

Who knows with a smart, ballsy negotiator we might have got better than a 5th round pick. To me and a lot of people the 1st, 34d and 5th was not enough compensation to begin with.

I missed the last part. Where did you ask. Top of my head, look at the Chargers trade with Giants where Rivers and Manning were exchanged. Mannig did not want to play in San Diego. And yet the Chargers never blinked and extracted good compensation for that deal. This deal happened after the draft had started. Chargers still picked Manning and Giants picked Rivers. At that point the Giants caved and gave up a quite a few picks, Its another thing they could not get a coach who could get that team to the promised land inspite of having loaded teams that were dominant in the regular season.

The Giants won the Super Bowl a few years after but they paid the price for getting Manning!

And at that point Manning had not even steeped on the field. And he sure as hell was not labeled as a potential HOFer!

In the quotes above. You said that many teams have been in worse situations and done better, so far you've named zero. 

I would like to hear some examples of the many teams that have been in worse situations and got better deals. Should be pretty easy for you to come up with if there are so many of them. 

For the record, the situation the Jets were in was having a HoF caliber CB coming off an ACL tear, with a history of holdouts, who wanted to be paid $16M/year, and only one team being willing to trade for him.

There you go, let's see that list. 

In the quotes above. You said that many teams have been in worse situations and done better, so far you've named zero. 

It a worse situation that Revis trade when the player says he is not even going to come to your team.

Archived