Stephen Hill Ready to Make Second-Year Jump

flgreen

Jets WR Hill ready to make second-year jump
By BRIAN COSTELLO
Posted: 3:52 PM, May 2, 2013

Jets wide receiver Stephen Hill says he already feels more comfortable in his second year in the NFL.

"It's a lot different," he said Thursday. " Last year, you really didn't know anything. You're just coming in blind. Just learning a lot from how the year went last year. It really gives you a lot more of a step than other guys coming in."

Hill had surgery on his left knee in December to repair a meniscus tear. Hill missed the final three games of the season due to knee problems. He said he was fully recovered by February.

"I concentrated on getting my knee right," Hill said of his offseason. "That is all. I actually stayed up here for the offseason. I didn't go home or anything. I just wanted to be focused so I could make sure I stay out of the training room next year."

Hill, who had several big dropped passes last year, said he doesn’t feel any pressure. He also sounds excited about new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg's system.

"I love it," he said. "Of course it's different from coach [Tony] Sparano's but coach Mornhinweg is definitely trying to put the ball in the air and let us receivers go get it. He's definitely preached to us make sure we run routes correct and make sure we catch the ball right. That is all."

Read more: Jets WR Hill ready to make second-year jump http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_wr_hill_ready_to_make_second_8L3lb4jXWcmxtWOhegIsjM#ixzz2SAXbKlXn

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets WR Hill ready to make second-year jump

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Posted: 3:52 PM, May 2, 2013

Jets wide receiver Stephen Hill says he already feels more comfortable in his second year in the NFL.

"It's a lot different," he said Thursday. " Last year, you really didn't know anything. You're just coming in blind. Just learning a lot from how the year went last year. It really gives you a lot more of a step than other guys coming in."

Hill had surgery on his left knee in December to repair a meniscus tear. Hill missed the final three games of the season due to knee problems. He said he was fully recovered by February.

"I concentrated on getting my knee right," Hill said of his offseason. "That is all. I actually stayed up here for the offseason. I didn't go home or anything. I just wanted to be focused so I could make sure I stay out of the training room next year."

Hill, who had several big dropped passes last year, said he doesn’t feel any pressure. He also sounds excited about new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg's system.

"I love it," he said. "Of course it's different from coach [Tony] Sparano's but coach Mornhinweg is definitely trying to put the ball in the air and let us receivers go get it. He's definitely preached to us make sure we run routes correct and make sure we catch the ball right. That is all."

Read more: Jets WR Hill ready to make second-year jump http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_wr_hill_ready_to_make_second_8L3lb4jXWcmxtWOhegIsjM#ixzz2SAXbKlXn

Bold.

+ Sanchez

= outrage!!!!! 

That is the problem , Hill has bad hands , I could see the Jets cutting him too , a wideout with bad hands does not last long NFL

Yup.

No point in paying that 2nd round rookie deal, get rid of him.

collinsworth said he was one of the most raw rookie WR's he'd ever seen last year

so he really has no where to go but up

James Lofton said Hill didn't even know how to run like a wide receiver, meaning his footwork and pacing was awful.

That said, he's a real X-factor this year and moving forward. I expect Idzik to draft or sign at least two receivers this offseason, so if Hill is going to be a player, he has to show it this year. Garrard really needs to start, if only to give Hill a chance.

That is the problem , Hill has bad hands , I could see the Jets cutting him too , a wideout with bad hands does not last long NFL

It's not his hands per say, I believe it was more him being overwhelmed and trying to do too much instead of just focus on looking the ball in and then making a move.  He destroyed the combine drills and caught everything with his hands; yea he had a case of the drops, but I will attribute that much more to being overwhelmed as a rookie as opposed to just poor hands. Either way, it's one of the more correctable traits of a receiver and one need look no further then Braylon's history of dropped passes to his all of a sudden sure hands once he focused on it.  I dunno if Hill makes the jump this year or next, but when it all comes together for him it'll be absolute night and day.  Usually receivers make the leap their third year, but hopefully we see marked improvement this year as well. 

It's not his hands per say, I believe it was more him being overwhelmed and trying to do too much instead of just focus on looking the ball in and then making a move.  He destroyed the combine drills and caught everything with his hands; yea he had a case of the drops, but I will attribute that much more to being overwhelmed as a rookie as opposed to just poor hands. Either way, it's one of the more correctable traits of a receiver and one need look no further then Braylon's history of dropped passes to his all of a sudden sure hands once he focused on it.  I dunno if Hill makes the jump this year or next, but when it all comes together for him it'll be absolute night and day.  Usually receivers make the leap their third year, but hopefully we see marked improvement this year as well. 

The difference between Braylon and Hill with the game on the line Braylon makes the big catch as for Hill look at the Pat game last year a very easy catch and a big drop probably cost the Jets the season it was down hill after that game and the Jets are not going to wait 3 to 4 years for this guy , wideout are very easy to find in the draft 

The difference between Braylon and Hill with the game on the line Braylon makes the big catch as for Hill look at the Pat game last year a very easy catch and a big drop probably cost the Jets the season it was down hill after that game and the Jets are not going to wait 3 to 4 years for this guy , wideout are very easy to find in the draft 

Go ask Browns fans how they feel about him.  You probably haven't followed Braylon's career for that long, but it wasn't too long ago that he was the red-headed step-child of Cleveland, where all the fans ripped on for leading the league or being close to it in dropped passes every year (most of those fans hated him for being a michigan man, but that's a totally different story).  Yes, Anderson was putrid, but there was a time when Bray dropped something like a dozen passes through only four or so games; sure he was making some circus catches, but often would drop the ones that hit him right in the hands.  

I'm not trying to disparage the guy as I would certainly welcome him back and was always a big fan of his while he was here.  Just trying to point out that Hill is very young, extremely raw and if he puts in the work you could see a breakout season like Bray had in his 3rd? year.

Feel the same way. He was brought along poorly in his first year. He was drafted to be an instant starter - stupid even with many first round WRs - despite being way less experienced than most. I would take a deep threat out of him for a 2 and 5 in the draft, and he's got the upside for much more. 

but I will attribute that much more to being overwhelmed as a rookie as opposed to just poor hands.  

Didn't help that Sanchez was his QB.  Even Cotchery, one of the more sure-handed receivers in Jet history, ended up with a case of the drops his last year here.

collinsworth said he was one of the most raw rookie WR's he'd ever seen last year

so he really has no where to go but up

collinsworth is a douche. did we really need his "expert" opinion to come to that conclusion?;)

What? He was a 21 year old rookie. He dropped a couple passes. Sucks, but oh well.

He'll be 22 all of this season. He made his raw talent clear when he was healthy. He's a potential game-changer. You don't let guys like this go after a rookie season in which a) Sanchez was their QB, 2) they were hurt half of the season. We knew Hill was going to be raw, no surprise there. But again he has the raw talent, and no one on this roster right now can challenge him for the #2 role besides Kerley (who probably isn't the best outside the #'s so the point is moot).

I'm really hoping he steps it up this season. He has all the physical tools to be a great WR but he couldn't catch a COLD in a whore house. Hopefully he worked on it this off season.

Cold? really? I think Crabs, Herps, or warts fits there better. lol what kinda ho comes to work with a cold! I mean what good is she if she can't breath out of her nose?

What? He was a 21 year old rookie. He dropped a couple passes. Sucks, but oh well.

He'll be 22 all of this season. He made his raw talent clear when he was healthy. He's a potential game-changer. You don't let guys like this go after a rookie season in which a) Sanchez was their QB, 2) they were hurt half of the season. We knew Hill was going to be raw, no surprise there. But again he has the raw talent, and no one on this roster right now can challenge him for the #2 role besides Kerley (who probably isn't the best outside the #'s so the point is moot).

+1

We'll see, though. He looked pretty bad at times, but he doesn't yet have the experience to rely on instinct the way veterans do.  Over-thinking about his routes and how to make a move may cause decreased concentration on the catch itself.

Hope he picks it up, and sooner rather than later. Guy's huge, has a 40" vertical to go with his long arms, and is stupid-fast.  Yeah, the 2012 combine's long over but that's supposed to help gauge his potential/ceiling, not his likely rookie performance.

He's a great kid and a freakish athlete. If the Jets don't screw him up too much, he'll be better than fine. Unfortunately, changing offensive systems will probably set him back a little bit again this year. The QB situation doesn't help him, either.

I remember reading somewhere how somebody broke down some of his biggest drops that had they been caught could have won us 4-6 games. Does anybody else remember that thread? He was THE WORST WR prospect drafted that high by the Jets that I have seen since Johnny Lam Jones. And THAT is saying a lot. I have little hope that this guy will ever amount to anything but unfortunately he will be a Jet for another 3-4 years regardless of what he does or doesn't do. the Jets just don't give up on high draft picks for at least 4 years. Could be one of the reasons why we never can get over the hump. That is the one thing that I like about the way NE and Beli run their business up there, if a guy sucks, they cut him, it doesn't matter if he's a first rounder 6 months before or not. If he ain't good, he is as good as GONE.

I'm really hoping he steps it up this season. He has all the physical tools to be a great WR but he couldn't catch a cold in a whore house. Hopefully he worked on it this off season.

i didnt realize rhinovirus was runnign rampant in whore houses. i'd have thought std's were the concern there

I really hope what Tommy says happens: David Garrard is named starter. We've all seen that guy play and win games. He has something that Sanchez doesn't possess-self confidence and better accuracy especially on those 20-30 yard throws across the middle. I fear that Sanchez is already a broken toy. I mean 1 thing you have to give Sanchez is that he is tough, so tough that I would be sitting here HOPING he gets banged up enough to be sent to the bench. Strangely though, that never seems to happen when you WANT it to happen.

I remember reading somewhere how somebody broke down some of his biggest drops that had they been caught could have won us 4-6 games. Does anybody else remember that thread? He was THE WORST WR prospect drafted that high by the Jets that I have seen since Johnny Lam Jones. And THAT is saying a lot. I have little hope that this guy will ever amount to anything but unfortunately he will be a Jet for another 3-4 years regardless of what he does or doesn't do. the Jets just don't give up on high draft picks for at least 4 years. Could be one of the reasons why we never can get over the hump. That is the one thing that I like about the way NE and Beli run their business up there, if a guy sucks, they cut him, it doesn't matter if he's a first rounder 6 months before or not. If he ain't good, he is as good as GONE.

Yeah idk about that dude. The Jets have had a ton of bad WR picks since Lam Jones. Reggie Rembert anyone? Ryan Yarborough? It's true Hill dropped some passes - but he also caught some that were not thrown that great either. Look at his TD verse the Bills, it was badly underthrown. If there is one position you can not judge by rookie year - it's WR. Hill needs to catch with his hands better and he needs a year in an NFL weight program to get stronger. Both of those things are teachable. His raw athletic ability is genetic and impressive. Reggie Wayne (27) and Santana Moss (2) had about the same or less catches as rookies and played with much better QB's. 

Yea Yarborough was a 2nd rounder and so was Rembert-good work RSJ, yea I'd put Hill right up there with those scrubs. Also, a big difference was when the Hess' owned the team they ran things a lot different than Woody. Woody holds onto draft picks MUCH longer than our previous owner ever did. Rembert never even played for the Jets, he sat out the entire 1990 season b/c of a contract dispute so they jettisoned him over to Cincy

Archived