David Nelson- Signs Extension

BurnleyJet

Jets signed WR David Nelson to a two-year contract extension through 2015.

The financials are unknown, but it's a deserved deal for a 27-year-old wideout who has bounced back nicely from a torn ACL this season. Nelson has caught 31 passes for 357 yards and two touchdowns across 11 games (five starts). Ideally, Nelson will be the Jets' No. 4 receiver for 2014, but he could serve as the No. 3. Dec 26 - 5:26 PM

Source: Kristian Dyer on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6048/david-nelson

No extension the initial deal was for 2 years

Well even if that's the case, then it's still a 1-year extension, as the deal is now apparently through 2015.

Either way it's a smart move as, while the Jets most certainly do not want him anywhere near the starting lineup and he's not going to take Kerley's role in the slot, he still brings a benefit to this team at one of their very worst positions.  While there could obviously very easily be changes both with the coaching and players, there's still a certain degree of familiarity there which can always help, and after Kerley, he's still probably the best the Jets had this year.  Even if we assume the Jets are really going to manage to go out there and get themselves 2 starting caliber WRs this offseason, a quick look around the league will tell you how much the rest of your depth chart at a position like WR still has plenty of value.

Which in the long run make excellent GM's

Im really liking Idzik. I cant wait to see what his scouting crew will do for the Draft.

Buy the sporting news draft preview magazine, and you will see what Idzik has in mind for the draft.

I thought the Jets and Geno and this offense had no weapons, BUT apparently they thought that Nelson is a weapon making sure they signed him to an extension?

How many other weapons that we keep hearing the Jets dont have, will be signed to extensions?

over the course of the year, David Nelson became Geno's security blanket. We talk alot of crap about how next year's team is gonna be so much different but chances are Geno will be the QB and David Nelson will be his favorite target.

I thought the Jets and Geno and this offense had no weapons, BUT apparently they thought that Nelson is a weapon making sure they signed him to an extension?

How many other weapons that we keep hearing the Jets dont have, will be signed to extensions?

The problem with Nelson isn't that he's on the roster. It's that he's our #2 (you could argue #1) receiver.

He is a good third or fourth receiver to have around.

Not at all.

There is a lack of top-end talent, as there's not a #1 or #2 type WR on the roster at this point.

Also, there were far too many injuries. Let's say that Holmes, Kerley and Hill began the season as our top 3 WRs. Well, each one of them missed 2 or more games this season. Gates probably would have been #4-ish if I recall correctly and he missed half of the season. Then at tight end, you've got Winslow and Cumberland. Each of those guys missed 2 or more games as well. Geno pretty much had a new WR/TE group every week, guys rotating in and out. Some injuries are to be expected but not this many.

So lack of top-end talent + excessive injuries = what you saw.

He'll have to make the team...no free rides in year 3 with zero production under your belt.

I'd imagine Hill is back as the #5 (if we keep 6 WRs), or else he gets cut in favor of a guy who plays STs.

1. Watkins / Evans / Lee

2. <<Insert veteran WR here (Austin, S. Johnson, whomever)>>

3. Kerley

4. Nelson

5. HIll

I'd imagine Hill is back as the #5 (if we keep 6 WRs), or else he gets cut in favor of a guy who plays STs.

1. Watkins / Evans / Lee

2. <<Insert veteran WR here (Austin, S. Johnson, whomever)>>

3. Kerley

4. Nelson

5. HIll

Rookie WR are almost never #1's out of the gate. Sammy Watkins isn't Calvin Johnson. Look at Tavon AUstin's year for example. and btw I don't see a huge difference between Evans and Nelson. they are both bigger guys almost TEs with above average hands but not game breakers What really might happen is they develop the draft pick and Nelson/Hill/Kerley is the main corp. Maybe they add a Maclin or Britt to the mix. 

Archived