Rex Ryan: "Can't Really Say" Whether Geno Smith Will Start Next Season

flgreen

Rex Ryan ‘can’t really say’ whether Geno Smith will start at QB for NY Jets next season

Ryan wouldn't even confirm that Smith will take the first snap in offseason workouts, saying 'we'll see who's on our roster before we make that decision.'

BY MANISH MEHTA / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

FRIDAY, JANUARY 31, 2014, 3:36 PM

Rex Ryan may be pleased with Geno Smith's progress, but he stopped short of making a concrete commitment to him. Ryan praised Smith because "he had to come a million miles" to adapt to a pro-style offense, but he didn't definitively call him the Jets starter entering training camp.

"We could say it, but with us, you can't really say with any certainties on anything right now because you're just starting the offseason," Ryan said during a promotional event for New Era caps that included handing out ice cream to fans on Super Bowl Boulevard on Friday. "You don't know what your roster is going to be. It's probably not the best thing to say, 'Hey, this guy is going to be a starter.' Let's let it play out."

Ryan didn't even say whether Smith will take the first snap in offseason workouts. The Jets will almost certainly sign a veteran free agent quarterback. "We'll see who's on our roster before we make that decision," Ryan said.

Ryan told the News that he also spoke to Smith about a pair of unflattering offseason episodes. A woman claiming to have an affair with Smith posted a picture of what she claimed was the quarterback's private parts. Smith also de-boarded a Virgin America plane this month after a dispute with a flight attendant. The Airline later issued a written apology.

"Nobody's perfect," Ryan said. "So I think I'd be very careful about passing judgment on the young man…. I absolutely spoke to him. You are going to be in the spotlight. People are going to look at you differently than maybe they look at anybody else. Whether you want the attention or not, you are the quarterback of the New York Jets and with that comes a lot of attention."

Ryan disagreed with Hall of Famer Warren Sapp's assessment to the Daily News earlier this week that Sheldon Richardson is "not that highly skilled of a pass rusher."

"I believe he can rush the passer," Ryan told the News. "Maybe Sheldon doesn't rush the passer like Warren Sapp did. Very few in this league have ever rushed the passer the way Warren Sapp has... but this is a young man now. This guy is just now scratching the surface."

Ryan didn't definitively say whether cornerback Antonio Cromartie, who revealed this week that he won't need hip surgery, will be back with the Jets in 2014. Cromartie is due a $5 million roster bonus in March and carries a $15 million salary cap charge. "Hopefully when he gets healthy, he can re-again his form," Ryan said. "We'll let it play out and see what happens."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/rex-geno-start-qb-season-article-1.1598209#ixzz2s0urbI56

The Jets weren't supposed to be able to get Geno, but he fell to them in the draft.  Twice.

Maybe they're looking at who else might fall to them in the draft before they commit to Geno.  At the very least, it continues to remind Geno that at best, he's got the job only if continues to show improvement.

The Jets weren't supposed to be able to get Geno, but he fell to them in the draft.  Twice.

Maybe they're looking at who else might fall to them in the draft before they commit to Geno.  At the very least, it continues to remind Geno that at best, he's got the job only if continues to show improvement.

Geno has the arm strength, if not the touch, and he can do things with his feet.  The jury is still out on common sense and instincts.

Enough with the Mike Vick crap. He is good for 8 games a season and the other 8 on IR. Geno has no heart or the brains to play the position. He got popped in the Buffalo game and put his tail between his legs for the rest of the season. The Jets biggest problem is the QB position. The need to draft a QB that has the physical tools but has the heart and desire to win at all cost. To play every game like it is his last. Only the greats have that determination in their eyes. Geno does not have it.

It used to be "Mark is our guy, gives us the best chance to win." Maybe Rex is growing wise in his coaching tenure after all?

You aren't reading between the lines, what Rex means by NOT calling Geno the starter is that Sanchez IS our guy once again.

Because he's the Head Coach, who John Idzik opted to bring back.

Or possibly who  Idzik was unable to persuade Woody to change.

When Idzik was hired, it was publicly stated that Rex would be the coach at least one year.  It was not publicly stated that after that year, Idzik could get rid of Rex at will.

Or possibly who  Idzik was unable to persuade Woody to change.

When Idzik was hired, it was publicly stated that Rex would be the coach at least one year.  It was not publicly stated that after that year, Idzik could get rid of Rex at will.

It's true none of us know exactly what is going on behind the scenes, but from the interaction between all the people involved, it clearly indicates that this is not something that is being forced down Idzik's throat.

He just doesn't seem to be a guy who is going to play a convincing  puppet roll.  He and Rex genuinely appear to like one another.   That is the only evidence we have of personal intentions, anything else is pure hope on the part of people who dislike Rex 

It's true none of us know exactly what is going on behind the scenes, but from the interaction between all the people involved, it clearly indicates that this is not something that is being forced down Idzik's throat.

He just doesn't seem to be a guy who is going to play a convincing  puppet roll.  He and Rex genuinely appear to like one another.   That is the only evidence we have of personal intentions, anything else is pure hope on the part of people who dislike Rex 

Idzik came from an environment where Pete Carroll, a defensive minded players coach who built his offense around the running game, is in the Super Bowl. Before that, wasn't Idzik part of the Tampa organization that saw Dungy, another defensive minded players coach, build his offense the same way, around the run game?

I agree with you, it's time for Jets fans to stop pushing the fairy tale of some deep seeded conspiracy. Rex's philosophy isn't exactly a far-fetched take on the game that a GM would run away from.

Yup.

Really, if the way the Seahawks are build is reflective of Idzik's philosophy, then Rex makes a lot of sense for him as the head coach. Seattle is a defense-first team, heavy on the rushing attack. Similar to the Tony Dungy Bucs, where he also held a couple front office jobs.

The other thing the Seahawks did was be very aggressive at the QB position. Trading for Whitehurst and Flynn before finding and deciding on Wilson. I doubt they're content with Geno at this point. With up to 12 draft picks to play with this year, it wouldn't be surprising at all if he was eyeing potential trades. Way too early to say who's gonna be starting for the Jets next season.

Enough with the Mike Vick crap. He is good for 8 games a season and the other 8 on IR. Geno has no heart or the brains to play the position. He got popped in the Buffalo game and put his tail between his legs for the rest of the season. The Jets biggest problem is the QB position. The need to draft a QB that has the physical tools but has the heart and desire to win at all cost. To play every game like it is his last. Only the greats have that determination in their eyes. Geno does not have it.

Wow! You got all that from his rookie season?

Great 12th post!

Geno got pummeled this season( mostly due to his own bad decisions in the pocket), but I give him credit for never making excuses and blaming the line.

He had some very bad games but in the end led us down the field for the win, or to seal a win(TB,NE,Miami) That shows heart.

Let's see what he can learn over a full off season studying the playbook, tape and hitting the weight room.

I'm pulling for him!

Just a guess of course, but it kind of sounds to me like they have someone targeted, either a FA or a trade.  If they can't pull it off, Smith will be the starter

The last time they did this exact thing as you are suggesting is the reason this franchise began to spiral out of control. They targeted PEYTON MANNING, and when he blew off the Jets like they were a CFL team, REX and TANNY were so worried about the Psychy of their historically awful QB, that they offered him one of the all-time worst contract extensions in NFL history.

Lets hope that if you are correct and they are "targeting someone", that if they don't get him, that they learned from the last time, and not care if the QB with the lowest QBR in the league, had his poor feelings hurt, and try to rectify that with some ridiculous, "feel good" package.

Ryan disagreed with Hall of Famer Warren Sapp's assessment to the Daily News earlier this week that Sheldon Richardson is "not that highly skilled of a pass rusher."

"I believe he can rush the passer," Ryan told the News. "Maybe Sheldon doesn't rush the passer like Warren Sapp did. Very few in this league have ever rushed the passer the way Warren Sapp has... but this is a young man now. This guy is just now scratching the surface."

This statement shows incredible growth as a HC.  A couple years ago he would have challenged Warren Sapp to a fist fight.  Our little rex is all grows up. :D

Yes Eboozer!  I got that and then some.  He does not have the it factor.  He is a backup at best and you have to hope to God the starter does not get hurt.  He will be out of the league in 3 years.

I agree, and though I know some people are not in favor, I certainly am of trading up to get either MANZIEL (My top choice) or Bridgewater. Also, if they do go FA, I am completely on board with MIKE VICK.

Your assessment of "GENO is a backup at best", is 100% on the money. Lets hope IDZIK realizes this and does the right thing for this franchise.

Archived