Holmes and a paycut = good idea

itsJETStime

If I were john idizk I would try to get Holmes to take a paycut for next year and put a team option ... So I would he restructuring the contract to give him a paycut and put in a team option that would keep him at a fair (low) salary for 2 additional years ... Either Holmes agrees or gets cut ... I think that would be a win

The only reason I would consider doing this is because while Holmes isn't a true #1 neither is anybody in free agency and those would demand much heftier salaries

It's time he leaves I think. I agree, when healthy, he's the best WR out of all FAs including him. But he carries baggage with him and that baggage isn't worth it for a young QB. Unless he's willing to stay for a couple mil, Jets need to move on n forget about him. I really want the Jets to draft Watkins. Just figure out a way to possibly trade with Jags. As long as we're not giving up two 1sts, for him, I think this is a real deal here. If he slips past Raiders, the Jets may very we'll pull the trigger.

I don't think they'd keep him for the vet minimum. I can put up with a lot of nonsense from these guys, but I was done with Holmes when he threw the ball to the 49ers when he hurt his foot. Take the ball to the ground, then cry like your prom date left with another guy.

I don't think they'd keep him for the vet minimum. I can put up with a lot of nonsense from these guys, but I was done with Holmes when he threw the ball to the 49ers when he hurt his foot. Take the ball to the ground, then cry like your prom date left with another guy.

Agreed. He is a turd and acts as poison for the team. I'm sure he still has a lot left in the tank and will probably make some exciting plays for a team this coming season, but his plays on the field are outweighed by his give up and bitch attitude. The sooner he is gone the better. I would LOOOOOOVE if we could get a pick for him in a trade but doubt it.

They cant afford to keep this guy if they are trying to build a contending team.

He is part of the losing culture the Jets have developed and must go.

Oh forgot .....Geno is very insecure after seeing Holmes dick pic

Part of the losing culture? Really?!?

Holmes played 3 season for us (was on the team 5 but was hurt 2/5) ... None were losing season, made it to the AFCC twice (we only made in to the playoffs in 09 thanks to Holmes) then was 8-8 once

I'm on board with completely letting Holmes go. I do not think he's anywhere near the player he once was and definitely doesn't deserve that contract he got. One thing that scares me is Holmes going to New England. Brady will rejuvenate his career.

Holmes played 3 season for us (was on the team 5 but was hurt 2/5) ... None were losing season, made it to the AFCC twice (we only made in to the playoffs in 09 thanks to Holmes) then was 8-8 once

When I think of Holmes the first word that comes to mind is obviously Captain, but winner is a close second

yeah thanks 'tone for eekin us into the playoffs in '09 playoffs while wearing black and gold. he really is far better than we give him credit for:/

Don't want it to happen, but it is sure possible.   If they don't want to over pay a guy like Golden Tate, and the draft just falls that they have to take players other then a WR in the 1st 2 rounds, Holmes is a short term fall back option if no body else in interested in him.

They might not be.  I suspect his value has fallen through the trap door in a receiver rich draft 

Another Rocket Scientist here. The guy has quit on the team numerous times and can't get open. Do you really want him back? Some of you guys must be content with mediocrity.

Listen you can disagree with the post, but there is no reason to attack the poster.

We won't tolerate that here.

yeah thanks 'tone for eekin us into the playoffs in '09 playoffs while wearing black and gold. he really is far better than we give him credit for:/

sorry you are correct I meant '10 I screwed up the timeline he's only been on the jets for 4 seasons, played for 2 with an AFCC run and 8-8 my point remains though

It is possible I guess, but as was mentioned earlier in this thread I think this is more than money. They would probably walk from him at the vet minimum.

I do agree that maybe walking away from Holmes is the best plan especially due to his baggage however Im having a hard time finding somebody in free agency worth letting going of Holmes (who took a paycut and is playing for a lot more reasonable salary) and replacing with an overpriced free agent (Decker, Nicks or Tate)... If the prices were equal or slightly then yes I would take them over Holmes but at a much greater price Id rather stick to a cheaper Holmes and draft 2 WRs to hopefully replace him and if not try free agency next year

I do agree that maybe walking away from Holmes is the best plan especially due to his baggage however Im having a hard time finding somebody in free agency worth letting going of Holmes (who took a paycut and is playing for a lot more reasonable salary) and replacing with an overpriced free agent (Decker, Nicks or Tate)... If the prices were equal or slightly then yes I would take them over Holmes but at a much greater price Id rather stick to a cheaper Holmes and draft 2 WRs to hopefully replace him and if not try free agency next year

This is one of those deals where on paper you will never be able to justify not bringing Holmes back if the price was low.  But seeing his actions the past few years just tells another story.  The Jets are a .500 team that celebrates after a first down in the 2nd quarter.  That ball dropping act of his, well that should go with him.  :)

If I were john idizk I would try to get Holmes to take a paycut for next year and put a team option ... So I would he restructuring the contract to give him a paycut and put in a team option that would keep him at a fair (low) salary for 2 additional years ... Either Holmes agrees or gets cut ... I think that would be a win

Cut him. We can spend a portion of that money on a sure hands Golden Tate. Atleast Tate doesnt need high definition eye contacts to drop the ball. Go in the draft, pick up Matthews and another wideout. Call it a day. Solidify both OG positions in free agency. They should cut Ducasse too.

When Holmes plays, Geno forces the ball to him despite him not being open, or catching the ball.  The team is better without him chirping in the QBs ear, begging for the biscuit. 

Absolutely, happened on a handful of Geno's interceptions this year.  Not absolving Geno for the poor throw, but it's never a good thing when you force a ball to a receiver.  Unless of course that QB is Stafford and it's double or triple coverage to CJ.

Archived