The proper perspective on Revis

Integrity28

Analysis: Jets won’t live to regret passing on Darrelle Revis
178405481-614x491.jpg

It isn’t a nightmare, it isn’t the worst-case scenario and Darrelle Revis signing with the Patriots doesn’t change a single thing for the Jets.

There was a brief time when Jets fans flirted with the idea of a Revis return to the green and white, and why not? Traded away last season to the Buccaneers, Revis was set to be released in what looked to be one of the most lopsided trades in NFL history. The Jets used the first-round pick acquired in the trade on Sheldon Richardson, a player who looks like a franchise cornerstone.

To be able to sign Revis as a free agent just a year later at less money than before seemed too good to be true. Turns out it was.

But Jets fans don’t need to worry. They have emerged from this just fine and all that talk about a Patriots upgrade is overwrought. All that hand wringing about having to face Revis twice in a season is all fluff. It ignores the fact the Patriots did not get substantially better with this deal.

RELATED ARTICLES

And the Jets still have plenty of room to get better.

With limited funds heading into free agency, New England spent a good chunk of their available money to sign Revis, a player they had to bring in after Aqib Talib went to the Broncos. But the Patriots made a lateral move in bringing in Revis, a player older and more injury prone than Talib. Revis isn’t substantially better than Talib — at best they’re even.

On the flip side, the Jets will still be players in free agency and be able to improve across the board. The same can’t be said about the Patriots.

The Jets have emerged as clear-cut winners from last spring’s trade with Tampa Bay. They have Richardson, who is young and talented and comes at a very good value. There is also that fourth-round pick they are owed from the Buccaneers, a pick which might give them flexibility to move up in this May’s draft. They also opened up salary cap flexibility by not having Revis on their roster. In short, they’ve added pieces bigger than Revis.

The Jets are adding balance and depth to their roster and won’t be as top heavy as years past. Adding Revis at the right price would have been nice — but getting him at a price that would have limited their ability to add other pieces would have been a return to the failed policies that led them to needing to rebuild.

This is not a doom and gloom scenario. It is smart NFL thinking by general manager John Idzik.

In the past, the Jets would have jumped at the opportunity to add Revis. After all, here is a player with mystique and swagger, a big name that could grab the headlines with his contract. But that philosophy kept them in salary cap hell and forced them last year to cut most of their big names and bring in stop-gaps. The ghost of Santonio Holmes haunts the Jets.

Now, with one of the biggest bankrolls heading into free agency, Idzik and the Jets were unwilling to mortgage their future, even for one year, with the signing of a Revis-type player. It might sting for Jets fans to see Revis, a player who rose to prominence in green and white, playing with their rivals in New England.

But it would have hurt fans more to see Revis tying up so much of their cap space and hindering their future.

The Jets will continue to get better, and they will do so without Revis on their roster.

- See more at: http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/nfl/2014/03/13/analysis-jets-wont-live-regret-passing-darrelle-revis/#sthash.NlHYeJkW.eXQmMV2p.dpuf

http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/nfl/2014/03/13/analysis-jets-wont-live-regret-passing-darrelle-revis/

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely agree. Unless Revis was willing to sign on for 8-9MM, it made no sense to have him eat so much cap space. From a long term perspective, we are better off continuing to improve in each one of our open positions. We want the Jets to be competitive each year...it wasn't as if Revis is the missing piece from the team winning the SB. The Pats just dealt their ace card, they have very little to acquire players. If Edelman leaves, they will be relying on Amedola who is often referred to as a "china doll"...aka fragile. So look at the Pats..yes they have Gronk but he has become a walking injury, they have Amendola but he also is a walking injury...who else do they have on the O side except for Brady?

We are good and I have all the confidence in the world in Idzik and Ryan, we will get better and better...watch it this year!

LL

"But the Patriots made a lateral move in bringing in Revis, a player older and more injury prone than Talib. Revis isn’t substantially better than Talib — at best they’re even."

So the proper perspective on Revis includes deluding ourselves into thinking Talib is better then Revis?

"But the Patriots made a lateral move in bringing in Revis, a player older and more injury prone than Talib. Revis isn’t substantially better than Talib — at best they’re even."

So the proper perspective on Revis includes deluding ourselves into thinking Talib is better then Revis?

Yeah, seriously.  I'm cool with the idea that we shouldn't put too much weight on NOT getting Revis as a factor for our offseason's success or failure. 

But acting like the Patriots didn't just get substantially better on defense is not something we need to tell ourselves.  It's OK to admit it; the Pats won big here.  They now have at least one future/potential Hall of Famer on either side of the ball.  In 24 hours they went from despair at losing their top corner to joy at getting the # 1 player on the market, period.  There's no reason to downplay that side of things.

yeah i was about to make this point exactly, These players are not even close to even. 

the thing that makes me the most angry is the Jets sign Decker while the Pats sign Revis. How many catches will Decker get against the Patriots? It's like the Decker signing is only gonna pay off when they aren't paying the Pats. 

yeah i was about to make this point exactly, These players are not even close to even.

the thing that makes me the most angry is the Jets sign Decker while the Pats sign Revis. How many catches will Decker get against the Patriots? It's like the Decker signing is only gonna pay off when they aren't paying the Pats.

Didn't you used to be a good poster? What happened?

Their defense absolutely did get better, I don't think it's a bad thing to admit that. 

But, Revis can only cover one man.  If the Jets sit pat at WR and do nothing else, then we're in big trouble against the Patriots, as they can load the box to stop the run while Revis takes Decker out of the equation.  Idzik needs to continue addressing the WR position, both through FA and the draft.  If we can get James Jones or Emmanuel Sanders and then a good WR in the draft, that would significantly level the playing field, leaving the two receiver not covered by Revis to go up against an otherwise poor group of corners and leaving the box open for the running game.

I'm just waiting for the moment Brady retires and this whole team will totally falls apart. They're totally f****ed. No Franchise QB, bad group of WR's, injury prone TE (what is the cap hit for Hernandez by the way?) , aging/injured Tackles like Vollmer and Wilfork, nearly ZERO available cap space, one of the badest teams in drafting player/starters. Of course that all can change in the next few years till Brady retires, but let him retire in a year like that and they will never see the top of the AFC East for at least a decade. Curios what "genius" BB will do then..

wow - the hysteria continues. individually you can claim Revis is better. However from a team effectiveness Talib brought enough to do the job and the Pat did a very good job at stopping the other teams primary receiver - ie Talib was good enough effective enough. Not seeing much of an overall upgrade. Decker is a much bigger upgrade relatively speaking for the Jets. This is just one part of the puzzle.

Their defense absolutely did get better, I don't think it's a bad thing to admit that. 

But, Revis can only cover one man.  If the Jets sit pat at WR and do nothing else, then we're in big trouble against the Patriots, as they can load the box to stop the run while Revis takes Decker out of the equation.  Idzik needs to continue addressing the WR position, both through FA and the draft.  If we can get James Jones or Emmanuel Sanders and then a good WR in the draft, that would significantly level the playing field, leaving the two receiver not covered by Revis to go up against an otherwise poor group of corners and leaving the box open for the running game.

if pats can clear additional space somehow they will also make a move for sanders

The proper perspective is not acting like a bunch of ninnies and flipping out. It was never realistic that Revis would come back, the split wasn't exactly a friendly one. Revis did nothing spit hate for the Jets after he got to TB, until that is he started undermining Schiano. 

Dude was never coming back here.

The proper perspective is not acting like a bunch of ninnies and flipping out. It was never realistic that Revis would come back, the split wasn't exactly a friendly one. Revis did nothing spit hate for the Jets after he got to TB, until that is he started undermining Schiano. 

Dude was never coming back here.

many thought the pats leak by revis camp was to put pressure on the jets (i thought it was a possibility), seems the opposite was true and the reunion leak was to put pressure on the pats

This “proper perspective” would have been laughed at here if the Jets had signed him. I agree with not signing a player for the sake of keeping him from another team, no matter who they are. But it does sicken me a little to think he’ll be playing for the Pats, and sickens me even more to think he might be back to his best.

If we’d have signed him we’d have all been lauding the genius of the move, how we got him for cheaper than we would have before, and acquired the best player in the previous draft as a result. The only way to assure that it doesn’t come back to bite us is to actually spend the remaining cap space wisely and bring in the right players. I’ll take us improving along with the Patriots over us stagnating along with the Patriots every day of the week. 

Revis signed a 1-year deal with the Patriots.  Eric Decker signed a 5-year deal with the Jets.

I could see a situation where the Pats try to get Revis to sign to a team-friendly, long-term deal after 2014; Revis balks, and departs for his 4th team. 

Not sure why this even matters or is in the equation?

The Jets shouldn't make moves based on what makes NE better or worse. The Jets should make moves on what makes them better. Short and long term.

They are mutually exclusive

I suspect the Jets will be adding other receiving talent; Revis can only cover one guy.

Meanwhile, the Pats have Revis for one year, and will have to either franchise him or compete for his services beyond this season, and the Jets have Decker locked up in a very attractive five year contract.

But continue with your hard-headed faux anger. It's your thing.

I read the first 2 posts and it was refreshing to see cooler heads prevail then I scrolled down and it was back to form.

Nobody knows Revis is the same player from 2009. Bucs found out they were paying him 16 mill for his rehab.

The Pats were sucker punched by the departure of Talib so they had to make a move. When you commit a majority of your cap space to one player who has not done anything to write home the past two seasons its nothing but a desperation move.  This is a high cost, high risk move which although it may pay out the probability of this blowing in their face is a lot more. I am glad JETS did not shell out 12 mill for Revis.

This article states Revis is Injury prone which is Ridiculous. If Anything Talib is Injury Prone dealing with multiple injuries compared to Revis 1 Injury.

Its comparing Talib to Revis which is Ridiculous.

They make no mention of Talib's off the field issues.

Revis on the Pats is a big thing for them, a very big thing.

LL talks about a 9 million offer by the Jets ...Yet 12 mil would have been out of the question ? So with 47 mil under the cap when we dump Sanchez 3 mil makes or breaks our free agent signings ? For a guy who can shut down every teams number one WR

I certainly do not think not signing Revis makes or breaks the Jets but the reasons given are pretty weak.

I would be willing to bet if the Jets signed Revis they would have still been able to easily sign all the FA's they have signed to this point plus a bunch more at reasonable salaries. My bet is the Jets leave plenty of money unspent ....Then lets see how that makes fans feel. 

IMO the Jets will be fine without Revis they will still play good solid defense and if we continue to add above average Offensive players and Draft Above average offensive players we will have done exactly what we needed to do to become a possible playoff contender if our QB does not sh*t the bed .

Personally I would like to know if the Jets and Revis even spoke and what was offered if anything. because I would think if Revis rolled the dice on a one year deal the Jets probably could have had him in the 10 to 11 mil per year range with a good amount of Guaranteed money in the range of 18 to 20 mil

I read the first 2 posts and it was refreshing to see cooler heads prevail then I scrolled down and it was back to form.

Nobody knows Revis is the same player from 2009. Bucs found out they were paying him 16 mill for his rehab.

The Pats were sucker punched by the departure of Talib so they had to make a move. When you commit a majority of your cap space to one player who has not done anything to write home the past two seasons its nothing but a desperation move.  This is a high cost, high risk move which although it may pay out the probability of this blowing in their face is a lot more. I am glad JETS did not shell out 12 mill for Revis.

how is your hangover?

many thought the pats leak by revis camp was to put pressure on the jets (i thought it was a possibility), seems the opposite was true and the reunion leak was to put pressure on the pats

Exactly.

Dude wanted nothing to do with us. He called Idzik a liar publicly. Whatever, he's not worth worrying about unless he regains pre-ACL form.

All I know that is fact about Revis is that he signed yesterday, and today they are already talking about re-negotiating his deal for a longer term... and that in the past 3 seasons, by the end of each season, the teams he played for had all been lost by the team leadership. Twice with Rex and once with Schiano.

Revis may not be 100% to blame, but as far as I can see, he is the common denominator. It'll be interesting to see if New England can be impervious to the effects of his me-first presence. 

I'm just waiting for the moment Brady retires and this whole team will totally falls apart. They're totally f****ed. No Franchise QB, bad group of WR's, injury prone TE (what is the cap hit for Hernandez by the way?) , aging/injured Tackles like Vollmer and Wilfork, nearly ZERO available cap space, one of the badest teams in drafting player/starters. Of course that all can change in the next few years till Brady retires, but let him retire in a year like that and they will never see the top of the AFC East for at least a decade. Curios what "genius" BB will do then..

They've already got that figure out.  Mallett will continue the Pats dynasty for the next 15+ years, just as soon as Brady retires.

I suspect the Jets will be adding other receiving talent; Revis can only cover one guy.

Meanwhile, the Pats have Revis for one year, and will have to either franchise him or compete for his services beyond this season, and the Jets have Decker locked up in a very attractive five year contract.

Franchising him will cost like $14.5 mil from what I heard on the radio this morning... crazy.

Exactly.

Dude wanted nothing to do with us. He called Idzik a liar publicly. Whatever, he's not worth worrying about unless he regains pre-ACL form.

All I know that is fact about Revis is that he signed yesterday, and today they are already talking about re-negotiating his deal for a longer term... and that in the past 3 seasons, by the end of each season, the teams he played for had all been lost by the team leadership. Twice with Rex and once with Schiano.

Revis may not be 100% to blame, but as far as I can see, he is the common denominator. It'll be interesting to see if New England can be impervious to the effects of his me-first presence. 

i wonder if pats will insist on the same draconion hold out protection that tanny did when he signed him to that extension.

I mentioned this back when it was just a rumor, but I don't see how this move changes their SB chances all that much. Revis is without a doubt the better player, there's no questioning that, but is that incremental increase worth $2+ million for one year?  Talib had a phenomenal season for the Pats last year and his play is not what kept them from making the super bowl.  I'm not entirely sure Revis' improvement over Talib is what's going to push them over the top.  Their defense got ravaged by injuries, yet it was their offense that was completely stagnant when Gronk and Amendola went down, if it weren't for Edelman, who they're losing, they would have been fairly pedestrian. I think they would have been better off signing Talib and retaining Edelman, that getting Revis and potentially whiffing on another one of Brady's favorite targets. 

Now, it could be the Pats didn't like giving Talib, with that injury history, all that money, but I think retaining edelman and improving their offense in case Gronk doesn't return should have been a bigger priority.

I still think three starters that 13 million gets us is better for the team than Revis. Revis is a newspaper, madden gm move that doesn't help us win a superbowl. We aren't good enough for only revis to make a difference.

I still think three starters that 13 million gets us is better for the team than Revis. Revis is a newspaper, madden gm move that doesn't help us win a superbowl. We aren't good enough for only revis to make a difference.

100% agree.

Revis would be a bargain at the franchise number.  Of course he would never play for it though, and that's where the fun might be lurking. 

Archived