This board

Jetfanincanada

Is the assumption that we're not going to win games next year or compete for a playoff spot? Is this something I shouldn't expect but be pleasantly surprised if it happens?

The only thing that frustrates me is the hole at CB. Literally, the only thing, so I'm not in the sky is falling camp but I'm curious to know what the plan is at that position.

I don't think the hole at CB is as big of a deal as most do. Walls played well when asked last year. There are others on the roster that could get better. Also there is the draft. There was a great article on how Earl Thomas has changed defense. Given this, I think the Jets will get a safety high in this draft and a CB in the mid rounds, or vice versa.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the assumption that we're not going to win games next year or compete for a playoff spot? Is this something I shouldn't expect but be pleasantly surprised if it happens?

The only thing that frustrates me is the hole at CB. Literally, the only thing, so I'm not in the sky is falling camp but I'm curious to know what the plan is at that position. I don't think it's unreasonable to be a little bit concerned.

I think the plan is to bring in a 2nd corner.  Bring in another so-called #1 corner if the price is right but the Jets aren't spending $12M/year on a corner after taking one #9 in the country. 

At this point I think the team sees Cromartie as a stop-gap player.  If they sign him for $7M+/year then I'm wrong. But it's how I would see him at this stage.

I don't think the hole at CB is as big of a deal as most do. Walls played well when asked last year. There are others on the roster that could get better. Also there is the draft. There was a great article on how Earl Thomas has changed defense. Given this, I think the Jets will get a safety high in this draft and a CB in the mid rounds, or vice versa.

Walls is serviceable. The thing that worries me is that we are now taking Milliner as a given as if he's proven himself to be reliable. He had a great last month, so that's encouraging, but he's still a question mark to me.

Middle round CB's should not be relied upon. Middle round anythings should not be relied  upon, in my opinion.

You do know that your posts are visible when someone else quotes them, even if you are on "ignore".  So, the system does have that flaw.  Moreover, I can turn you on and off like a light switch.  On, off. On, off. On, off.  Now, go get your shine box.

What are you Joe Pesci now? Fitting, you strike me as a little 5'1" punk with a big mouth.... The internet is the perfect place for tough guys like you. What's next, you gonna tell me how lucky I am that we don't meet in person? LOL.

For someone who likes to cry like a little b&$ch about all the nonsense on the board, you sure like to contribute to it. You and integrity are like two little trained dogs, you come calling every time I tell you to. Then you both go and lick your ass and your balls when shoved away.

I don't have it in for Geno. I'm cautiously optimistic he could be good. But I wouldn't be going all-in on him because the way the ball bounced one year, our 5-6 win roster won 8 games.  It's been said many times that getting to 8-9 wins is easy from a bottom-3 team.  Getting to 12+ wins is hard even for a 9-10 win team.

We got lucky with Sanchez.  The first of those 2 years it took our final 2 opponents literally letting us win by benching their starters. A year later it took having Caldwell give us an extra time out, when we were desperate for one, at the end; otherwise we put up 14 points against a very mediocre defense because our supposedly-good playoff QB sucked horribly. I don't figure to get that lucky again, let alone twice, so building a team that way isn't something I'd bet on reaping the same dividends (that still ended up coming up short both times).

I'd like to see the team build through the draft. We have too many draft picks in too good of a draft to lock ourselves out of a prospect because we already filled that position in free agency.

And Revis is not a long-term solution IMO. The only way to get him into that is to threaten him with losing money, like Tannenbaum did with his poison pill term in the last deal. Don't figure Revis to sign with that type of clause again.  At those dollars, in the short term, he was a good move - theoretically - for a team who is a sure-thing SB contender in March.  That is not the 2014 Jets.

I don't disagree that we had plenty of luck, but those were still quality teams that could hide a bad QB. I don't think Geno will be bad, he may not be great, but I don't think he will be bad. I think with a middle tier QB you can win big with that type of team. I think everyone wants to build through the draft, it's the best way by far, but we don't really have a great track record with drafting, and especially not on offense.

And once again, I am not complaining about Idzik, I am just not anointing him yet either. He has played things very safe so far, which makes sense for all the reasons you say. At some point it is going to take more than being safe however, and when he does that we will get a truer sense for what he his. 

I don't disagree that we had plenty of luck, but those were still quality teams that could hide a bad QB. I don't think Geno will be bad, he may not be great, but I don't think he will be bad. I think with a middle tier QB you can win big with that type of team. I think everyone wants to build through the draft, it's the best way by far, but we don't really have a great track record with drafting, and especially not on offense.

And once again, I am not complaining about Idzik, I am just not anointing him yet either. He has played things very safe so far, which makes sense for all the reasons you say. At some point it is going to take more than being safe however, and when he does that we will get a truer sense for what he his.

You're looking at Sanchez differently than Geno by using the benefit of hindsight.

Back then I'm sure Tannenbaum - and I KNOW lots of fans - thpught Sanchez would be at least a middle of the road QB at worst, and therefore was worth building a team around.

Horse then cart. Until Geno is known rather than "I have a feeling" sentiments of even being mid-tier, the cart is still being put first in my opinion.

You're looking at Sanchez differently than Geno by using the benefit of hindsight.

Back then I'm sure Tannenbaum - and I KNOW lots of fans - thpught Sanchez would be at least a middle of the road QB at worst, and therefore was worth building a team around.

Horse then cart. Until Geno is known rather than "I have a feeling" sentiments of even being mid-tier, the cart is still being put first in my opinion.

Fair enough, but I still think building a good foundation around him, either through the draft and/or FA can only improve the team short term and long term, and improve his chances. Even if he is not the guy, a solid cast around him will make it easier/better for the next guy to step in. 

Fair enough, but I still think building a good foundation around him, either through the draft and/or FA can only improve the team short term and long term, and improve his chances. Even if he is not the guy, a solid cast around him will make it easier/better for the next guy to step in. 

Well they did sign the top free agent WR available. Plus, given their leaked interest in James Jones, if no other veteran WRs are brought in I think it's pretty likely they'll draft at least one WR.  But with signing Decker they won't be forced into taking one with their first pick.  We can take advantage of the depth of the position in this draft by waiting (if WR isn't nearly the top value selection when it's our pick).  We can take a WR in round 1 or not.  

The team does have some building blocks of a good foundation.  I just have seen the biggest screams being one of 3 things: failing to badly overpay Austin Howard to a contract he isn't worth; failing to overpay Brandon Pettigrew to a contract he isn't worth; signing a 5-star DB whose skills may be diminished some by the time our QB position has question marks erased. 

Say Geno improves some (I mean, he has to) but ultimately he's still not the answer at the position.  Enough $ is invested all around that we are ready for a serious push right now but for the QB position which will ultimately keep us from being a winner anyway.  So this heavily-invested team has 2 choices: start all over again with another rookie, while the rest of the team is ready, or extend Geno because he seems to be the best option as of that week in March.  This is precisely what happened with Sanchez.

I'm not even saying Idzik is 100% playing this right.  But the hysteria seems to be that he isn't, as though cap space unspent is cap space lost. I want to see Geno show something more than hopefully before the team goes all-in on building around him.

Walls is serviceable. The thing that worries me is that we are now taking Milliner as a given as if he's proven himself to be reliable. He had a great last month, so that's encouraging, but he's still a question mark to me.

Middle round CB's should not be relied upon. Middle round anythings should not be relied  upon, in my opinion.

Well the hope is they can find a middle round guy who can compete. Hopefully someone rises to the top. Rex ran a lot of man coverage because he had a lack of pure pass rush. He doesn't need to do that as much now that he has so many good lineman.

It's amazing how there are about 10 or so people on this board who are convinced that they are God's gift to knowing football. They spew their opinions as undeniable facts and bash, ignore and brag, mock, everyone who does not agree with them. When proven wrong, or questioned they turn hostile, or go on the attack. Are all Jets boards like this?  

You should do what ILL NOSTRO, does, he puts all new posters, all posters he disagree's  with, all posters that don't kiss his butt, on ignore.

This leaves him with family members and about 4 other posters who circle jerk each other all day, thus allowing himself to believe he has some self worth.

Remember,

Geno Sucks

Rex Ryan couldn't coach a womans softball team

Go big Red

UCLA and Wisconsin will meat in the final, with UCLA your national champ.

You should do what ILL NOSTRO, does, he puts all new posters, all posters he disagree's  with, all posters that don't kiss his butt, on ignore.

This leaves him with family members and about 4 other posters who circle jerk each other all day, thus allowing himself to believe he has some self worth.

Remember,

Geno Sucks

Go big Red

JOEWILLIE78 IS BACK!!!!!

HAVE A TALLBOY OF THAT HORRIFIC SWILL YOU DRINK, BUDDY!

Like I said in the Jackson thread, I am going to go ******* ban crazy if you knuckleheads don't cut it out. I don't care who started what, you're all going to go.

Old posters and new.

Not for nothing, but considering the intention of this thread and the abject lack Jets football content, you may want to just close it.  Far easier to kill it than cure it.

Not for nothing, but considering the intention of this thread and the abject lack Jets football content, you may want to just close it.  Far easier to kill it than cure it.

We've tried that, and it doesn't work.

There is a small percentage of posters who are absolutely ruining this place, there's no need for us to put up with it.

Remember,

Geno Sucks

Go big Red

I always knew you were a bit light in the loafers ;)

I'm riding the Wichita State bandwagon until they let me down, love the shockers. 

I haven't banned anyone in a while. It's time for that to change.

Do something. If you want to include me in the site wide enema, be my guest. I dont consider myself a very valuable poster and am a ban away from done anyway, but I'd rather lurk and have the board readable than this cluster****. I come here and have mainly been reading the basketball forum the last 3 days. I dont think I've ever complained about anything here but it's becoming a disaster.

Remember,

Geno Sucks

Go big Red

3500 posts in 4 months? how da hell did you pull that off?

What are you Joe Pesci now? Fitting, you strike me as a little 5'1" punk with a big mouth.... The internet is the perfect place for tough guys like you. What's next, you gonna tell me how lucky I am that we don't meet in person? LOL.

For someone who likes to cry like a little b&$ch about all the nonsense on the board, you sure like to contribute to it. You and integrity are like two little trained dogs, you come calling every time I tell you to. Then you both go and lick your ass and your balls when shoved away.

Lol... These are the words of the guy who starts the "everybody's mean" thread?

Wait, EY you can actually do that? No wonder you're always so damned happy.

Lol... These are the words of the guy who starts the "everybody's mean" thread?

yeah, not following you here, once again. This was not an everybody's mean thread, it's more like a high school girl click. Anyone new who comes in is an outcast and not accepted unless they basically kiss everyones ass and agree with everything the "cool girls" say.

Im not sure what that has to do with what I said to Joe Pesci in return of him telling me to go get my shine box, but then again, you are one of the "cool girls", I am clearly not.

We've tried that, and it doesn't work.

There is a small percentage of posters who are absolutely ruining this place, there's no need for us to put up with it.

Actually, this place is pretty much shot anyway. The "cool girls" who won't let anyone else in have this place pretty bad. It's OK for the cool girls to attack anyone and everyone that they disagree with, or states an opinion that differs from theirs.

Then the sentiment is, hey, the new guy put his opinion in too many places.....

Meanwhile, it was OK to have 9 out of 10 threads being how bad Sanchez sux, because the cool girls said that was OK.

The threat to ban is not really surprising, it seems as though that is what this place wants to be.

yeah, not following you here, once again. This was not an everybody's mean thread, it's more like a high school girl click. Anyone new who comes in is an outcast and not accepted unless they basically kiss everyones ass and agree with everything the "cool girls" say.

Im not sure what that has to do with what I said to Joe Pesci in return of him telling me to go get my shine box, but then again, you are one of the "cool girls", I am clearly not.

Yawn.

Your rage filled with estrogen and hypocrisy obviously fails to notice the not so subtle distinction between "new poster" and "obnoxious poster." There are a few guys right now who are making the board unreadable by posting the same thing over and over again in not only every existing thread, but also in thier own new threads too. You have to be Magellan to find anything worth reading thanks to a few people right now.

And again, if you have such a problem with the culture of the board, there is nothing forcing you to stay.

Actually, this place is pretty much shot anyway. The "cool girls" who won't let anyone else in have this place pretty bad. It's OK for the cool girls to attack anyone and everyone that they disagree with, or states an opinion that differs from theirs.

Meanwhile, it was OK to have 9 out of 10 threads being how bad Sanchez sux, because the cool girls said that was OK.

The threat to ban is not really surprising, it seems as though that is what this place wants to be.

Seriously? 

Need cranberry juice?

I'll be your friend.

It's amazing how there are about 10 or so people on this board who are convinced that they are God's gift to knowing football. They spew their opinions as undeniable facts and bash, ignore and brag, mock, everyone who does not agree with them. When proven wrong, or questioned they turn hostile, or go on the attack. Are all Jets boards like this?  

Come to my board, you young canuck. I have a need to get my buttocks smooched by a never ending list of sycophants

Archived