The Official Draft Thread (1st Round)

Maxman

I'm hoping it follows the history of the Richardson pick. First player taken at that position, ahead of a guy or two that the "experts" had rated ahead of him. Turned out okay. 

i fully expected to be disappointed tonight. i am extremely happy with this pick. secondary was a concern and we were just able to snag our number 1 safety at pick 18. this dude is a day one starter and is going to be hurting people.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks. as we've discussed, any player who directly and significantly impacts passer rating differential is a valuable player.

given that geno is likely to post a QBR in the low 70's, I'm not sure a SS is going to help move that stat positive

Seriously not worried about Pryor, more pissed that the first round is all that happens tonight. That is some bullsh*t.

The Browns are being fun. Great script for them by the writers. They couldn't do #1 overall because that would be too much like the movie. 

If they're great they do. If they're lousy, and taken in the top 20, they change franchises because the FO are all out of jobs, hahaha.

Seriously, though. If a draft is 3 rounds deep at a position, you don't burn a round 1 pick on the position unless you're getting the top one who is a unique/rare prospect. Plus the purpose of signing a high-priced WR in free agency is so you don't have to force the position in round 1 in the draft and can get (what the scouts deem to be) the best player you can get your hands on.

So that's my feeling on not grabbing a WR. Also at QB one must consider the team may actually like Smith. But in the event they're not sure, every QB except one is still on the board. There will be more available later. Unless they hate Smith - and clearly they don't - but do have SOME doubts (understandable enough), then a theoretical good time is round 4 where we have 3 picks. Maybe even our 3rd rounder if someone is too good to pass on; our first round 4 pick is pretty high.

But if Allen improves upon last year, our safety duo could go from being a liability to being an asset pretty quickly. And getting a stud S in free agency costs an arm and a leg now ($9M per).

Exactly how I look at it too.

Big hitters help put the ball on the ground. One thing people never point out about Rex's defense is that it doesn't create turnovers. Creating turnovers will help off-set the turnovers we make, which have been the wont of this franchise for about 6 years.

Yes let's give the defensive genius MORE DRAFT PICKS. Heck, in the unlikely event Wilson plays we will have 3 #1s in the secondary. 13-10 wins as far as the eye can see. 

At least with another 1st round defensive player, if Rex doesn't deliver this year he can finally be canned. That's another way to view it. I like the pick, but have to go offense next two rounds, minimum.

WRONG. Flash forward to January, 2015, when slats posts, "how was Rex supposed to win with that offensive talent?"

Yes let's give the defensive genius MORE DRAFT PICKS. Heck, in the unlikely event Wilson plays we will have 3 #1s in the secondary. 13-10 wins as far as the eye can see. 

I bet you cried about our secondary giving up too many plays like all of last year.

That's exactly why he'll be a better head coach than Rex.

He won't kiss the players asses and will hold them accountable.

I want my head coach to be a douche bag.

Didn't we have that with Mangini?

Archived