Cimini's take: Trade Hill for a corner. Pryor the real deal.

pointman

So when Idzik was pursuing Davis, you don't think he was aware that he'd have to go over $7-8M/year? I think even he might disagree with you there. 

Munnerlyn signed a three year, $11.25M deal. Outrageous. 

I think he was looking for the most bang for the buck he could get.  Davis was the best fit for our scheme and wasn't an imposter like a lot of the other guys that got signed.  It's not JUST about throwing money at A corner, it's throwing money at the right guy, or no one at all.

Munnerlyn sucks. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he was looking for the most bang for the buck he could get.  Davis was the best fit for our scheme and wasn't an imposter like a lot of the other guys that got signed.  It's not JUST about throwing money at A corner, it's throwing money at the right guy, or no one at all.

Munnerlyn sucks. 

If nothing else, Munnerlyn is a better slot guy than Wilson. It'd've been nice if he could've stepped in as the #2 given where the Jets are right now at the position, but at the very least he would've been a cheap, in-house upgrade for when they let Wilson go next year. 

If nothing else, Munnerlyn is a better slot guy than Wilson. It'd've been nice if he could've stepped in as the #2 given where the Jets are right now at the position, but at the very least he would've been a cheap, in-house upgrade for when they let Wilson go next year. 

Is $4-$5M a fair price for a slot corner?  And I thought we were only talking about the top guys.

You know what, it would make more sense to play Hill as a CB instead of trading him for one.

For one at this point no team would let go of a starting caliber CB.

Secondly Hill has speed, size and lately he is showing the ability to track the ball. Given we play so many great offenses and also the recent depth at WR position this move makes sense. Just don't expect him to get too many interceptions.

Is $4-$5M a fair price for a slot corner?  And I thought we were only talking about the top guys.

He signed for <$4M/year, not a bad price for what's essentially become a full time role in today's NFL. A great price if he works out on the outside.  

Without bothering to open that link, I'm gonna go ahead and assume he makes more money if he plays really good, or the team wins a Super Bowl, or something like that. 

Also, this post is reflective of the strength of your argument. Honestly, it's okay if Idzik didn't do everything perfectly this off-season. He didn't do the CB position perfectly. It's okay. 

I think he was looking for the most bang for the buck he could get. Davis was the best fit for our scheme and wasn't an imposter like a lot of the other guys that got signed. It's not JUST about throwing money at A corner, it's throwing money at the right guy, or no one at all.

Munnerlyn sucks.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2011/11/dolphins-believe-davis-was-drunk-night-before-practice.html

"But the reason most responsible and most alarming about Davis missing Sunday's game against the Chiefs is that the Dolphins believe Davis was drunk the night before the Saturday practice to which he was late. And when he showed up at the Miami facility, a source said Davis had the smell of alcohol and was suffering from an apparent hangover."

This actually happened...I think Davis is better suited for the lifestyle of Indianapolis vs New York City.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2011/11/dolphins-believe-davis-was-drunk-night-before-practice.html#storylink=cpy

probably a great idea, but also most likely won't get a starting calibre CB for Hill.

i think the Cowboys were looking to get rid of Claiborne back before the draft but with their lack of CBs, especially with Scandrick getting suspended, I doubt that they'll deal him.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2011/11/dolphins-believe-davis-was-drunk-night-before-practice.html

"But the reason most responsible and most alarming about Davis missing Sunday's game against the Chiefs is that the Dolphins believe Davis was drunk the night before the Saturday practice to which he was late. And when he showed up at the Miami facility, a source said Davis had the smell of alcohol and was suffering from an apparent hangover."

This actually happened...I think Davis is better suited for the lifestyle of Indianapolis vs New York City.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2011/11/dolphins-believe-davis-was-drunk-night-before-practice.html#storylink=cpy

Some people are more likely to get drunk when they are in a town that doesn't have much going on.  

Some people are more likely to get drunk when they are in a town that doesn't have much going on.

Ok...granted.

Im sure any GM worth anything is going to do his due diligence and investigate these red flags.

My point was Vontae is/was a big risk, not quite worthy of 10mil per...I think its easy to say he was an option, but his checkered past is as much a concern as DRC's commitment questions, Munnerlyns inability to cover big wideouts, Pattersons injury history, and Cro's hip.

Ok...granted.

Im sure any GM worth anything is going to do his due diligence and investigate these red flags.

My point was Vontae is/was a big risk, not quite worthy of 10mil per...I think its easy to say he was an option, but his checkered past is as much a concern as DRC's commitment questions, Munnerlyns inability to cover big wideouts, Pattersons injury history, and Cro's hip.

It is obvious that Idzik wanted Vontae Davis, Munnerlyn and DRC on this team.  What is not as obvious is how much he was willing to spend for each.  He showed no interest in Revis, Cromartie, Verner or Flowers. 

It is obvious that Idzik wanted Vontae Davis, Munnerlyn and DRC on this team. What is not as obvious is how much he was willing to spend for each. He showed no interest in Revis, Cromartie, Verner or Flowers.

Exactly.

He was like..."Vontae is good #1 cb @ 6-7 per, but cracked out Vontae is no bueno @ 10 per."

And..."Captain is a great slot guy @ 1.75...but hes to damn short @ 3.75."

And..."DRC would make a great #2 guy @ 5-6 mil...but hes to damn lazy @ 8."

WHAT IS WRONG IN THINKING LIKE THIS?!

This is how I want my GM to think!

gut check

hill winds up with brees or manning or brady

you nervous ?

I would be

everybody needs to chillax.  what a bunch of nellies

It's never been the QB delivering the ball to him. It's him actually catching the ball. He's still making the same mistakes in year 3. Simple correctable mistakes.

gut check

hill winds up with brees or manning or brady

you nervous ?

I would be

everybody needs to chillax.  what a bunch of nellies

I'm nervous about another 8-8.   

then what?   do we start over with a new QB or does Geno get a 3rd year?   

8-8, draft a CB in rd 1, sign Chad Henne to compete with Geno next year, repeat....  

Exactly.

He was like..."Vontae is good #1 cb @ 6-7 per, but cracked out Vontae is no bueno @ 10 per."

And..."Captain is a great slot guy @ 1.75...but hes to damn short @ 3.75."

And..."DRC would make a great #2 guy @ 5-6 mil...but hes to damn lazy @ 8."

WHAT IS WRONG IN THINKING LIKE THIS?!

This is how I want my GM to think!

I don't mind the line of thinking, but the guy obviously wanted another corner.  It appears they wanted a short term vet and did not want much guarantee. That left us with Patterson.  So far it looks like a failure.

I don't mind the line of thinking, but the guy obviously wanted another corner.  It appears they wanted a short term vet and did not want much guarantee. That left us with Patterson.  So far it looks like a failure.

I imagine Rex Ryan nodded and stated that the challenge has been accepted. 

I'm nervous about another 8-8.   

then what?   do we start over with a new QB or does Geno get a 3rd year?   

8-8, draft a CB in rd 1, sign Chad Henne to compete with Geno next year, repeat....  

If they go 8-8, and Geno has a >85 passer rating, they keep him and fire Rex. 

If they go 8-8, and Geno has a <65 passer rating, they keep Rex and look for a new QB. 

There's some gray area in between. 

If they go 8-8, and Geno has a >85 passer rating, they keep him and fire Rex. 

If they go 8-8, and Geno has a <65 passer rating, they keep Rex and look for a new QB. 

There's some gray area in between. 

You think passer rating will really be something they factor? And you think another season without a playoff berth will get Rex another year here? 

You think passer rating will really be something they factor? And you think another season without a playoff berth will get Rex another year here? 

Not specifically, no. But I think the level of QB play Rex gets will be a determining factor in his job status, especially if he's getting orders from above to play Geno regardless. If Geno plays poorly, 8-8 is overachieving. If he plays well. it's underachieving. People were tying Rex's job status to the playoffs last year, but it obviously wasn't that cut and dried. I don't necessarily think it will be this year, either. 

Not specifically, no. But I think the level of QB play Rex gets will be a determining factor in his job status, especially if he's getting orders from above to play Geno regardless. If Geno plays poorly, 8-8 is overachieving. If he plays well. it's underachieving. People were tying Rex's job status to the playoffs last year, but it obviously wasn't that cut and dried. I don't necessarily think it will be this year, either.

Or, they look for the common denominator in why the QB position has been a wasteland for 6 years and rightly conclude that Rex is incapable of fixing that one fatal issue. If Geno implodes, and Woody decides he just can't part with Rex for some unknown reason, you can't give him another rookie QB. You'd be better off throwing dollars and draft picks into an incinerator, given the history.

Or, they look for the common denominator in why the QB position has been a wasteland for 6 years and rightly conclude that Rex is incapable of fixing that one fatal issue. If Geno implodes, and Woody decides he just can't part with Rex for some unknown reason, you can't give him another rookie QB. You'd be better off throwing dollars and draft picks into an incinerator, given the history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSCQ3PxdN5s

I don't mind the line of thinking, but the guy obviously wanted another corner. It appears they wanted a short term vet and did not want much guarantee. That left us with Patterson. So far it looks like a failure.

Not saying it won't be... But it's a little soon sir.

I thought Cortland Finnegan would've been a better risk than Patterson, but what do I know.

I think IdZiks gained a little freedom to put his team together...I'm being patient.

Archived