Jets vs. Lions - state your observations

faba

Observations:

Both of these teams have a top-three defense. Both excel at stopping the run. Both teams have a top-ten pass defense.

But of the two, only the Jets have a top-ten offense, and they have scored more points per game than Detroit has.

Yet, every Jets fan is up in arms over how defeated we are.

weak.

The Jets have a top 3 defense AND a top 10 offense?

Do you watch the games or just read meaningless stat lines after 3 games?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 3-0 thus far on my Preseason predictions.

This week, I sadly go 3-1.

I predicted we would beat the Lions.

But we won't.

Same story as last two weeks.....our O can't score (enough) and our D (backs) simply cannot stop the pass. 

D-line will continue to do their best, it won't be enough.

Jets fall, 31-16, Geno with two INT and a fumble, and the calls for Vick (which won't happen) start in earnest.

I'm making a rare appearance at Giants Stadium II. Pretty much a guaranteed loss. 

I don't know how much faith you want to put in it but fivethirtyeight's ELO article has this game as a pick em. 

Vegas has the Jets getting 2 points.

Whatever's gonna happen, it will probably be close. Have fun Slats

I watch the games, AND read stat lines.

and, go **** yourself.

Top 3 defensive teams do not blow 21-3 leads.

Top 10 offensive teams do not go 1-6 in the red zone nor choke an opportunity from inside the 10 yard line to send a game into overtime.

Those rankings are nothing more than smoke and mirrors.

Stafford can be as turnover prone as our QB's - can we win that battle.

That's true but the Jet's CB's have stone hands.  They can't catch crap.

You can say it every week, but winning the turnover battle usually means winning the game.  Since Rex took over, Jets are 30-4 when winning the turnover battle; 8-33 when losing it and 9-5 when TOs are the same.  Problem is that we have only won the turnover battle 13 times since the end of 2010.  13 times in 51 games (we are 12-1 in those 13 games).

Force turnovers; don't turn the ball over ourselves and we should win.  Its that simple, but it why does it always seem so hard to do?

On Defense, Rex doesn't emphasize creating turnovers as much as he should.  When multiple tacklers are going after a ball carrier (RB, WR, Returner, QB, whatever), the 2nd defender should almost always be aggressively trying to strip the ball (if coming from the front or side) or punch the ball out (if coming from behind or the side) .  I didn't see it happen once during the Chicago game.  

Top 3 defensive teams do not blow 21-3 leads.

Top 10 offensive teams do not go 1-6 in the red zone nor choke an opportunity from inside the 10 yard line to send a game into overtime.

Those rankings are nothing more than smoke and mirrors.

Yes they do. 

Yes they did. 

Maybe*, maybe not.  

*The rankings are based on yardage (allowed and gained) and are cumulative.  At the end of the day 1-2 is all that matters, but it certainly helps to know that with some cleaned up penalties and improvements in our turnover ratio we can be competitive in any game we play. 

Lions play good defense and will probably play great defense against our offense . We do not mathc up well vs this team they simply have way to many skill players and will exploit the hell out of us. This game has total blowout written all over it. Total and complete blowout

Stafford can be as turnover prone as our QB's - can we win that battle.

Fact - 

We can pressure this guy into doing some real stupid stuff and he's very capable of it.

Geno and his band of pass catchers need to have their act together as running on these guys is like running on us.

Lions play good defense and will probably play great defense against our offense . We do not mathc up well vs this team they simply have way to many skill players and will exploit the hell out of us. This game has total blowout written all over it. Total and complete blowout

Line has already moved from Jets -3 to Jets +1

I think the real question is how will the Jets lose.  My guess is that this week, Saalim Hakim will have a kick return for a TD that will then be brought back because it turns out the play was whistled dead because one of the referees thought a tissue blew onto the field 50 yards behind Hakim (even though it didn't).

This is too good not to share and sums up my feeling exactly -

"Lions at Jets: You ever go to some hotel restaurant and the menu has 5,000 items, including lots of exotic sh*t that you know the chef probably can't pull off, but you still order the half-wagyu Korean taco slider anyway because it sounds different and good, and then it comes and it SUCKS and you're like, "sh*t. I should have just had a burger"? That is what Marty Mornhinweg's play-calling is like."

- Drew Magary on Deadspin http://deadspin.com/why-football-players-crave-contact-1638649411

I think the real question is how will the Jets lose.  My guess is that this week, Saalim Hakim will have a kick return for a TD that will then be brought back because it turns out the play was whistled dead because one of the referees thought a tissue blew onto the field 50 yards behind Hakim (even though it didn't).

What a fn p\/s$y, blaming the refs before the game even starts....

What a fn p\/s$y, blaming the refs before the game even starts....

Yeah, because there's nothing better than someone who is not only too stupid to comprehend a rather simple joke, but also thinks it makes him cool to try to play the tough guy card on an internet message board.

I've learned so much from you, thanks.

Yeah, because there's nothing better than someone who is not only too stupid to comprehend a rather simple joke, but also thinks it makes him cool to try to play the tough guy card on an internet message board.

I've learned so much from you, thanks.

You cry like a little girl over things you have no control over. I have never seen anyone cry so much about the refs before. Let me guess, when you got a bad grade in school, it was the teachers fault, amirite?

It's a pretty bad matchup and these injuries could really hurt us.

Will be interesting to see how we cover Johnson, I imagine we'll just absolutely load up on him and he'll still probably have a huge game. Really awful game for Milliner to come back into after his horror-show against Green Bay. I think he'll sit.

If Mangold doesn't play Geno wont last the first half.

The game will be on Geno and Rex. We're not going to run on them and we're going to give up some points in the passing game and the inevitable bizzare mistakes/penalties (I almost look forward to see how creative they'll be this week). Geno will have to keep up. If Decker's not ready I don't see us winning. 

You cry like a little girl over things you have no control over. I have never seen anyone cry so much about the refs before. Let me guess, when you got a bad grade in school, it was the teachers fault, amirite?

You know, perhaps you should cry some more about it.  After all, it does such a great job of driving home your point.

Archived