Your Vision of a Future Jets Winner

Warfish

Not asking for specific players, coaches, GM's, or the like.

What I'd like to discuss is your vision of what to rebuild, when, and what priorities should come first in our rebuild ON the field.

For purposes of this thread, lets presume two things (for the sake or argument) and not linger on them:

1. Rex Ryan is fired at the end of 2014.

2. John Idzik is NOT fired at the end of 2014.  he hires whomever "his guy" is for 2015 and beyond (presume a more balanced Head Coach than Rex, who cares about both O and D).

Consider those two things unchangeable for this discussion.

So, going forward from there (starting in offseason 2015), what is your Vision in how to rebuild the Jets?

My own is very, very simple. 

Step #1:  Rebuild the O-line and get us a top-10 O-line in the NFL.  Even before a QB, this needs addressed via BAP FA and/or High Draft Picks.

Step #2:  The QB position.  I cut all three QB's currently on the roster.  I sign a mid-level Journeyman QB (we all know the types).  I then draft two QB's in the next draft, one as high as humanly possible, one mid-round.

Step #3:  Cut the deadwood.  Chris Johnson, Mike Vick (addressed above) and a number of "Rex's Guys" veterans on D, especially in the D-backfield.

Step #4:  Bolster the D-Backfield via Free Agency.  We will have Milliner and McDougal back in 2015, but they need help.   We have the cap space to bring in a BAP FA CB to help this spot. 

Step #5:  Unpopular, but IMO it's vital......stand pat of "skill position talent" for 2015.  Decker, Harvin, Kerley, Amaro, Ivory, Powell is good enough, IF we fix the O-line and IF we get a decent QB in place.

Step #6:  Depth in the LB Corp.  We have some old slow can't-cover-a-TE guys back there who are not long for the NFL, we need to have developing talent behind them.

Possible Draft:

1. Quarterback

2. O-Lineman

3. O-Lineman

4. Quarterback

5. Linebacker

6. O-Lineman

7. Linebacker

Possible FA:

1. BAP Cornerback

2. BAP O-Lineman

3. Journeyman Veteran QB

3. Mid-Tier Durable Veteran Linebacker

I leave out names because I simply lack the breadth of knowledge as to the draft or whom will/will not be free agents in 2015.  But I believe these priorities, if carried out, is the fastest route back to competitive football, and a longer term aim for success.

Thoughts?  And how would YOU rebuild the Jets, what are YOUR priorities?

Presumption #2 won't allow me to participate in this discussion. 

if it makes you feel better, then presume Idzik is fired too, I just don't want this thread to devolve into "who should be the GM/who should be the Head Coach" stuff.

I want to talk position areas of need, and how best to prioritize them, as laid out in the OP.

Hire a Director of Football Operations that looms over the team, give him final say on who the GM is, our organizational scouting philosophies, scouting department staffing, and building the coaching staff. Let this person define the culture of the organization. Make Woody the fan with the best seat in the house, and nothing more.

- Ideally we'd hire an established head coach, like: Harbaugh, Cowher, Shanahan

- If not, then hire one of the following college coaches or coordinators as head coach: Shanny Jr., Bevell, Shaw

- Let the head coach assemble his own complete staff, no holdovers, no "you have to keep..." conditions for the new guys coming in.

Trim the fat from the roster:

- Keep Geno, plan on adding 2 new QBs for the upcoming season. Geno shouldn't be "given up on", but we also shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket. We need to draft a QB early, and sign a veteran that can win now.

- Harvin isn't playing for a new contract, he can be kept for the 4th rounder. Decker is one of the most fundamentally sound players I've seen in green and white on offense in years. Bolster the WR corps around them and Kerley. There's literally nobody else on our roster that makes me think they need to be retained. I do however, want to seen Shaq Evans, given that WRs from 4 rounds deep of this draft class are blowing up all over the league right now.

- Keep Powell and Ivory. Johnson sucks. Draft a RB, they represent tremendous value in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Take a guy that you plan on using as the bellcow the following year: see Carlos Hyde, San Fran

- Rebuild the secondary by whatever means necessary.

- Add speed and athleticism to the LB corps.

I dunno, that's all I've got. Damn this team for making me care enough to take the time to do this... 

- Put a personnel man at the head of this organization.  President of Football Operations, General Manager, whatever you want to call it.  The guy has to be a football guy, not a glorified bean counter.

- Hire a head coach with experience as a head coach. I'm tired of our coach being a first timer who learns on the job. I want a guy who has been a head coach at the pro or college level.  Someone who understands the value of every facet of the game, not just one side of the ball. A disciplinarian who doesn't care about being besties with his players.

- Address the QB position. Sign a veteran, and draft one early. We can't continue to have the most important position on the field be the anchor that sinks us.

- Beef up the O-Line. Skill positions don't matter if you can't control the line of scrimmage. Use the middle rounds and free agency to solidify up front.

- Solidify the secondary. Move Allen back to safety next to Pryor.  Build up depth at CB.

- Get faster LBs. Our LB corps consists of Demario Davis, and a bunch of really slow guys.

My vision? Mark Cuban pays Woody $2 billion, we all rejoice. Unfortunately to recoup that money, pricing on everything goes up 20%....but we win in five years. Fair trade?

Honestly, no, it's not a "fair answer", it's a total non-answer.

Which is fine, if that's all you got.  But we all know Woody isn't selling. 

I prefer constructive discussion.  /shrug.

- Ideally we'd hire an established head coach, like: Harbaugh, Cowher, Shanahan

OK, I stopped reading right about here.  The Shanahan legend is that he is a great coach.  The reality is that he never won a thing without Elway under center.  He completely sh*t the bed in Washington and this is the man we need to have coaching the Jets?  No thanks. 

Idzik must go or nothing else works.  He has had 20 draft picks the last 2 drafts, could have rebuilt the the team.  Came up with one good player, and I suspect that was luck.  Replace Idzik with a guy who is an expert personnel guy.   Hire a new cap guy to help him with contracts.  Let the new GM rretool the entire FO, and CS any way he wants.

As far as the draft goes.

1) QUARTERBACK as you said

2-3)  In what ever order the BAP at position fits OL, WR

After that BPA at all positions.  There are lots of holes.

FA's are tricky because you never know who is going to be available.

pretty much agree with all the positions OP suggested

All in all I agree with OP plan

Warfish, what do you think about a non-football exec coming in to run the show?  Some top honcho from Silicon Valley as an example.  These are successful guys/gals who hire the best people in the field (in our case the NFL), then get out of the way and let them manage.

The guy/gal revamps our organization head to toe based on what works in business not just the NFL.  

Step 1- fire rex

Step 2- fire MM

Step 3- hire best possible candidate for HC and OC

Step 4- Let harris go to FA, restructure contracts of Brick and maybe extend mangold, but lower yearly salary. Restructure Harvin's contract (some of his runs after the catch yesterday made me really love the move)

Step 5- Add depth to CB. Before this past injury to milliner I wouldn't have said this, but it's clear he can't stay on the field. need a starter. Mcdougle comes back as the #2

Step 6- Need a QB. Whether it's in the draft or FA. Need one to start. Someone brought up bradford a few weeks ago. Wouldn't be opposed to it, just needs to be able to stay on the field which doesn't seem too likely. But I'd be okay with it for a year to delay the drafting of Connor Cook. Love that mofo. Want him on this team. 

Step 7- Need some help on the OL. Whether through the draft or not, need some improvement there.

Step 8- let Vick and CJ walk. 8 mil in cap right there, both not worth it. Extend Powell 2 years for a small amount. 

My hope for the draft

r1- Connor Cook (if he enters), if not MLB or WR

r2- MLB, WR, FS (pretty sure Dawan will not be on the squad in 2015)

r3- MLB, FS, OL

r4- traded to Seattle for Harvin still being on the roster

r5- OL

r6- CB

r7- CB

I assume at least two of these upgrades will be addressed in FA^^

Top needs entering 2015 if this is the scenario

1. QB

2. CB

3. MLB

4. FS

5. OL

OK, I stopped reading right about here.  The Shanahan legend is that he is a great coach.  The reality is that he never won a thing without Elway under center.  He completely sh*t the bed in Washington and this is the man we need to have coaching the Jets?  No thanks. 

Yeah, yeah... beggars can't be choosers. We're talking about a team that hasn't had an actual HEAD football coach for 6 years.

He's not my top choice, consider it an example.

Honestly, no, it's not a "fair answer", it's a total non-answer.

Which is fine, if that's all you got.  But we all know Woody isn't selling. 

I prefer constructive discussion.  /shrug.

He didn't say "fair answer", he said "fair trade".

lighten-up-francis-o-s.gif

I didn't include it in my write-up, but fixing the OL is paramount. I've talked about it a ton over the years as it has been neglected since the Woody and Faneca retired. That is a given, as important as finding a decent QB to be honest.

I didn't include it in my write-up, but fixing the OL is paramount. I've talked about it a ton over the years as it has been neglected since the Woody and Faneca retired. That is a given, as important as finding a decent QB to be honest.

Yup.  Look how much better Romo looks this year with that killer OL.

I was thinking about this a lot yesterday War, and was doing some research.

I will go by your assumption that Idzik does not go, however, I think he will.  But for argument sake....

1) It might be time to look at drafting D'brick's replacement.  He would count too much in dead money this year, but 2016, his dead money is $5m compared to a $9m savings. 

2) Mangold has about 1 year left.  In 2016, he is set to make $8.6m and he won't see it because it is a pure cap savings.  So we need to be on the lookout for a centre over the next two years.

3) I agree, the whole lines need revamping.  Between all the options we have for guard, I would be happy, but LT, RT, and C will need replacing over the next two years.

4) There is not much in the lines of WR next year as of now for FA.  With a decent QB, Decker, Harvin, and Kerley is a good start.  I think they should draft one in the mid rounds next year who is a deep threat to go with Harvin.

5) Our secondary is going to have to be a priority.  Sure, we have Millner and McDougle.  A 3rd rounder with high hopes who hasn't played a down, and a HIGH 1st who has barely played at all.  We need 2 starting CB's, and at least another solid safety.  That way, Pryor can play up in the box where he should be.  Antonio Allen needs to be moved back to safety where he belongs.

6) QB.  This team has started 12 QB's in the past 15 years.  It is time for this team to invest in the best QB coach in the market, and draft one next year.  Get a vet who can hold the ship, and let this said QB SIT for a year.  Then, in 2016, we draft another one.  Then, in 2017, we draft another one.  We keep drafting QB's until this team has a guy who can start for the next 10 years.  PERIOD!

7) We have over-invested in the D-Line, and something is going to have to give.  We have Coples playing OLB, and two first rounders in Richardson and Wilkerson.  With Suh stating he wants to probably come to NY next year, this could get ridiculous fast.

The Jets may want to look at trading Snacks.  Ellis has been solid when he plays, and T.J. Barnes has showed promise.  We cannot give Snacks millions.  Coples could be used for trade bait.

8) Its time to draft a pass-rusher.  Rex has tried for years without having a true pass rusher, and the reality is we just don't get enough pressure.  We need to draft 1-2 in the next couple of years.

That's a start, I think,

I'd like Idzik gone. With him here, we won't be big players in FA. He's going to stick with his sh*t philosophy of picking up injury prone players at a discount. Which is fine, but it can't be your primary philosophy. 

With Idzik still here, I'd like this to happen in its order:

1. 2014 FA: Let Harvin and CJ0K walk and sign one of the Maclin, DeMaryius or Crabtree. Whoever becomes available. If neither becomes available, then keep Harvin.

2. 2014 FA: Sign BPA CB to be #1 while Milliner is #2 and McDougal is #3. Also sign another solid CB capable of starting since McDougal and Milliner are injury prone.

3. Draft a QB early. Then draft two OLs and two LBs. No more RB drafts please. Powell is getting wasted on the bench. 

4. Pick up or trade for a veteran 'game managing' QB unless a true QB becomes available. Let the rookie learn and still hang on to Geno (Always wanted us to keep Sanchez, but lets not make that same mistake with Geno) Let him learn another year behind the vet. Same for the rookie QB. 

5. In 2015, Draft Bricks replacement and draft a couple of pass rushing LBs with speed, not David Harris esque. Also draft a WR in mid rounds. Need to infuse youth in hopes of them becoming starters so we can let go of one of the current starters to reduce salary in the position.

Warfish, what do you think about a non-football exec coming in to run the show?  Some top honcho from Silicon Valley as an example.  These are successful guys/gals who hire the best people in the field (in our case the NFL), then get out of the way and let them manage.

The guy/gal revamps our organization head to toe based on what works in business not just the NFL.  

I like a clearly delineated hierarchy.

Having a Team President that's a Business/Management guy is perfectly fine, from the NFL or not.

That person simply cannot be permitted to have a say, any say, in player personnel.

Having that guy lead a GM search is fine, but the GM should manage the scouts/coaching staff hiring.

and that GM should be a Player Talent Guy, not a math/accountant guy, but he should HIRE a math/accountant guy as his Asst. Gm. 

That's my view.  Owner (no say over GM/players/coaches) ---> Team (Business) President  (no say over players/coaches) --> General Manager (hires all player personnel and coaching staff) --> Head Coach (coaches, and helps hire Asst. Coaches).

I don't agree with your second assumption because if we go 1-15 or 3-13, the worst record in over 20 years, Idzik is packing his bags before game 16 is over. Why do we wait two more years for him to hire his own guy? Sometimes you just need to cut bait and move on. Idzik is in way over his head. All he does right is trade with other teams and makes a good move once in awhile in free agency. This is his historical experience and he's good at it. He cannot draft worth a damn and his judgement of personnel and those whom he entrusts to evaluate them is atrocious. He is the architect of one of the most busted drafts, probably in team history.

However, I'll comment on the rest. Line needs a rebuild, agreed. QB's gone except Simms who may be the only one on the roster with a decent shot of making it because he's had 4 years to sit back and get ready. Chris Johnson should stay because it's not his fault Mornhinweg only figured out what to do with him in week 9. McCoy had the same magical breakout as soon as Mornhinweg left Philly.

The receivers in general would be fine if they had a guy who could complete passes to them and a running game that commanded respect.

The other day, Fatcessa made a good point: Calvin Pryor would probably be a little more ratable if he wasn't playing 4 positions at once while learning on the fly. If we consistently audition dback's as you recommend, our defense will get better.

I like a clearly delineated hierarchy.

Having a Team President that's a Business/Management guy is perfectly fine, from the NFL or not.

That person simply cannot be permitted to have a say, any say, in player personnel.

Having that guy lead a GM search is fine, but the GM should manage the scouts/coaching staff hiring.

and that GM should be a Player Talent Guy, not a math/accountant guy, but he should HIRE a math/accountant guy as his Asst. Gm. 

That's my view.  Owner (no say over GM/players/coaches) ---> Team (Business) President  (no say over players/coaches) --> General Manager (hires all player personnel and coaching staff) --> Head Coach (coaches, and helps hire Asst. Coaches).

Exactly what I'm thinking.  Again, this business management/industry leader makes it a point to look under every rock  and think outside the box when hiring the football GM.  Just identify the best, and pay them what they deserve, and get out of this persons way.

In a nutshell:

Address all offensive skill positions; even at the expense of defensive depth, if need be - and build a team that is capable of averaging 24 points a game.

I agree. QB, WR, O line... if we can get talent and depth here we can work on the defense afterwards we have spent way to much time on defense.

If Idzik returns this team is doomed.  But since thats what we have to operate on for the purpose of this thread, here's my take:

First and foremost, nothing matters if he cant find a QB.  Literally, nothing else matters.

Let him hand select his Head Coach.  Hopefully, its not someone terrible at their current position but he has ties to him, like Bevell.  I'm sick of ground and pound and his offense sucks and its because he calls a terrible game.  I'd like to throw the ball, like the rest of the league since basically the NFL has turned into the Arena League.  I'd prefer someone with Head Coaching experience, but we know thats not happening.  Whoever he picks will be a disaster and we'll be starting all over in 2 years anyway...but whatever, let him have at it.

Go into the offseason like you dont have a single corner or safety on the team because they all suck.  I'd aggressively attack the CB FA market.  Dont know who is set to hit FA next year, I'd imagine its underwhelming considering the names the Jets missed out on this season, but whatever, attack it like you dont a single corner on the team because well, you dont.  The dudes the Jets rolled out this week in the secondary was the biggest joke I've ever seen. They literally are fielding the worst secondary ever assembled.  Its pathetic and relying on Milliner and McDougle to return is the stupidest ******* thing I can think of, so I fully expect Idzik to hold out for hope.

Beef up the OL.  Restructure Brick, maybe Mangold will be a team player and restructure as well, even though he's playing great.  Get 2 legit Guards, not penalty prone ass bags. Breno sucks but whatever.  One thing at time, rebuild the interior.  The leagues changing and winning the battle at the LOS doesnt equate to as many victories at it has historically but you need to be able to protect in the league.

Cut Harris and find some speed.  Cut Pace and find some speed.  Cut CJ and find someone who wants to play Football or just roll with Ivory and Powell.  Cut Vick. Cut Babin. Cut Barnes.  Cut cut cut and cut some more.

I dont care what they do on offense otherwise because all that matters is QB.

Well, who your coordinators are matters. If you are going 3-4 or 4-3, if you are going man or Cover-something, it changes the personnel requirements.  Having said that:

we definitely have to beef up our secondary and our O line.  BY draft and FA.

I agree on QB.  We do not want mediocre but we must have average.  

Dump CJ0K.  I do not see the burst.  Look for a HB in the draft. Oh, and I like Powell a  lot

Get rid of Cumberland, who is a punk receiver.  Get a real solid blocking TE with some talent in the red zone.  FA, preferably.

Depending on the type of D, upgrade LB.  They are different in 3-4 and 4-3 sets, though.  You probably need 1 less in the 4-3.  And in a 4-3 they all have to cover.

Wideout?  Let's see if Evans is any good.  Would like someone better than Salas also.

Want a disciplinarian as coach.   Oh, and make sure you fire Jeff Weeks.  He might just slip through the cracks

I've been the guy pounding my fist and ranting about drafting OL as a priority for years. Since the Kyle Wilson draft and every year since. Been saying that the reason we went to 2 AFCCGs was because of d.woody, mangold, ferguson, faneca, and Moore. I look at the cowboys and see a team that has become competitive due mainly to a heavy OL investment and it burns my ass. Yet every April I mention OL and it's a string of posts saying "you can get lineman later...it's playmakers we need" or "our line is fine...you don't draft guards in first round" or "we already drafted OL(ducasse, winters) and look how that turned out". Seriously grinds my gears. Our line has gotten worse and worse since the Mangini era ended and that's a fact. Yet we draft corners and DL In the first three rounds every year of Rex's tenure. Coples, Wilson, milliner and mcdougle...at least two of those guys could have been a guard and a tackle.

Step 1- fire rex

Step 2- fire MM

Step 3- hire best possible candidate for HC and OC

Step 4- Let harris go to FA, restructure contracts of Brick and maybe extend mangold, but lower yearly salary. Restructure Harvin's contract (some of his runs after the catch yesterday made me really love the move)

Step 5- Add depth to CB. Before this past injury to milliner I wouldn't have said this, but it's clear he can't stay on the field. need a starter. Mcdougle comes back as the #2

Step 6- Need a QB. Whether it's in the draft or FA. Need one to start. Someone brought up bradford a few weeks ago. Wouldn't be opposed to it, just needs to be able to stay on the field which doesn't seem too likely. But I'd be okay with it for a year to delay the drafting of Connor Cook. Love that mofo. Want him on this team. 

Step 7- Need some help on the OL. Whether through the draft or not, need some improvement there.

Step 8- let Vick and CJ walk. 8 mil in cap right there, both not worth it. Extend Powell 2 years for a small amount. 

My hope for the draft

r1- Connor Cook (if he enters), if not MLB or WR

r2- MLB, WR, FS (pretty sure Dawan will not be on the squad in 2015)

r3- MLB, FS, OL

r4- traded to Seattle for Harvin still being on the roster

r5- OL

r6- CB

r7- CB

I assume at least two of these upgrades will be addressed in FA^^

Top needs entering 2015 if this is the scenario

1. QB

2. CB

3. MLB

4. FS

5. OL

At least this addresses the fact that this will not be a 1 year rebuild  - I think it will take almost 3 years to right the ship...

At least this addresses the fact that this will not be a 1 year rebuild  - I think it will take almost 3 years to right the ship...

Nah, we've been in 6 of the 8 games this year. Can't finish because we have 3 turnovers on the year, we have a QB giving away the ball, and that same QB can't get the ball in the endzone. If we have a QB we can be pretty damn good next year. We should have some solid depth at corner if he address it this offseason. Need to make defensive turnovers a priority. Rex has been saying that since day 1, and look where we are, worst than last year, if that's even possible. Get rid of rex and get a QB and we're not in that terrible of shape. Things will go right when we have the QB.

Coaching

1) The coaching staff needs an entire overhaul.

2) The only one who stays is Dunbar.

3) Get as many good ex OCs and DCs to coach positions on this team as humanly possible.

Personnel

QB - Cut Vick, draft a QB in round one. Trade back if the value is not there. Too many holes to screw up this draft by overdrafting anything. Geno and Simms stay for hopefully real competition and not make believe.

RB - cut Johnson, draft a RB in rounds 3-5. When the value comes to you. Need a 3rd down type RB although if the right every down guy comes available take him.

WR - trade Harvin. I know he is good - but this is a 2-3 year plan, and if we draft right we can find a gadget guy someplace in this draft. Draft a speedy WR relatively high, and sign a solid veteran. Not a freakin David Nelson or Jacobs Ford. A real NFL WR.

TE - find the best blocking TE out there and get him. Get rid of Cumberland. Sudfeld and Amaro are fine.

OL - sign a good free agent guard. Two if the opportunity presents itself. Perhaps even a tacke that can slide inside. Renegotiate DBrick if possible.

Defense - switch to a 4-3

DL - need an edge rusher. Perhaps Babin and IK can fill that role if no one of value presents himself this offseason.

LB - find a WLB. Should not be that difficult to do. Keep Harris in the middle and play D Davis at SLB next year. Try to find depth late in the draft. I'm in the minority but I think Harris could do ok in this defense if he sheds a few pounds.

CB - depend on Millner and McDougle as back ups only. Get two starters.

S - I feel like Pryor is more of a FS. I would get a big strong in the box Safety like. Kam Chancelor.

1. Fire idziot tonight
  2. Put an interim gm in place.
  3. Instruct interim gm to do following
  • Hire local scouts and coaches to begin local tryouts at team facilities
  • Bring in last summer final cuts, udfa...hint Tyler Wilson...
  • Number 1 goal is to find number 3 or better at each position to be signed at end of season or sooner
  • Mandate to coaches that all players on roster get x% of time on field for rest of season.  X% should not be too high as to tank season.  Should be reasonable.
  • Evaluate the leagues practice squads and improve roster from other team PS.
  • Fire mm immediately and promote within as temp OC for remainder of season
  • Fire terry Broadway immediately and promote within on temp basis
  • Make Rex show his lap surgery scars on TV but let him coach out season and let new incoming gm decide his future.

Find new gm asap before season ends but allow him full control and time to build a staff before announcing he has been hired

Let him hire scouting, couching, whomever..

Candidate gm must not be 1st time gm, experienced football guy! Not coming in to use someone else's script for success.

1. Woody Sells team to British Billionaire.

2. Team Aircraft carrying the entire organization from top down plunges into the Atlantic and is never found.

3. British Billionaire owner renames Jets.

4. British Billionaire owner stocks the entire organization with new personnel never once connected to the previous Jets brand.

Presumption #2 won't allow me to participate in this discussion. 

If number 2 isn't a false statement - this team will be worse next year than this year -  a preposterous as that thought is.

I'm sure I'll be in the occasionally watching and not discussing much category if that's the case. 

Archived