Michael Kay: Rex and Idzik fired Monday

IPBanBadPosters

If Rex is fired monday and Idzik isn't, I make MM the HC for the remainder of the season, create an offense that is as explosive as possible. At least that'll let Idzik really see who can contribute to such an offense. Can't go with a coach who wants to run the team like we're still in the 80s

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was more of a neighborhood thing.  There are still strike zones painted on the schools in my neighborhood.  Stoop ball is the one that seems completely gone. 

Man, I loved that game. Started playing as soon as it got even a little warm out.  And they started getting the bats and "spaldeens" at the candy store.

You had a pitcher and one fielder.  Any caught grounder or pop was an out.  Over the first school yard fence was a single, hitting the next fence was a double, and over this persons house was a homer.  We must have made those people insane always going into their yard trying to find the ball.  

Yeah, stoop ball is all but gone.  Folks don't hang out in front too much anymore.

lol  I'm showing my age.  And I'm talking about the stickball where you pitched to a wall with a strike zone painted on it.  Street stickball even predates me if that's even possible.

I played both growing up, I'm only in my late 30's ... street stickball was tougher to play, you had to find the perfect 'hood for it.

I think it was more of a neighborhood thing.  There are still strike zones painted on the schools in my neighborhood.  Stoop ball is the one that seems completely gone. 

This.

And yes, I used to play stoop ball, but it's a long gone thing I believe... putting that ball on that sweet spot at the corner of the brick and watching it fly would make your day as a kid. Those were the days!

I played both growing up, I'm only in my late 30's ... street stickball was tougher to play, you had to find the perfect 'hood for it.

This.

And yes, I used to play stoop ball, but it's a long gone thing I believe... putting that ball on that sweet spot at the corner of the brick and watching it fly would make your day as a kid. Those were the days!

I'm 60.  Good God that stings writing it. 

We played touch football in the street, but I always thought street stickball must have been difficult with all the cars and the chance of losing the ball in a sewer.

You nailed it on the "home run" stoop ball sweet spot.  As kids we could make a game out of anything and compete all day having the time of your life.  Sad that most kids today don't know that feeling.

agree 100%.  wouldn't mind seeing Idzik get a chance with his own coach, but he has botched year 2 so bad that if things go slightly rough at the beginning of next year he will be a lame duck.

What quality coach wants to sign with a GM in his position?

That being said, if Rex and Idzik go Monday who the hell is in charge???? Seriously. There's a big chunk of games left. I have seen coaches fired mid season but the coach and GM?

Can you imagine if Woody pulls Parcells out of his ass as team president and he begins the search for the GM and HC next week????

This would also be a great F You to these billboard morons. I'd fire him the day before it gets put up if I'm Woody just to be a dick LOL

Agreed. Even if Idzik does somehow survive this, he would be hanging by a proverbial thread. What HC worth his salt would want to risk him getting canned and then having another GM - one that did not bring him in - over his head? That is why Woody needs to axe Idzik and let the new GM make all the other decisions on Rex and his staff.

Unless you have at least the GM in place and ready to go, ,makes no sense.Only way it makes any sense is if Richie Rich has a GM candidate who has a grasp of scouting or at least a head scout also and both available and ready to go Monday afternoon. And that level of preparedness would be totally out of character for Robert Wood Johnson III.

No point to firing RYan now. You could get the dead cat bounce with MM, that he wins a few games, gets some decent performances out of some players, they rally around him, and you're stuck firing another caoch whom players have come to like.

Firing both same day mid-season would highlight once again the bush league stewardship of Woody. I guess Bradway will be interim GM (again) if this report is true.

Hilarious.

If that happens I'm mailing Woody every friggin piece of Jet gear I own, hats, jerseys, keychains, everything.  After I get a coupla bums to piss on it.  No, I'll piss on it, would mean more that way.

agree 100%.  wouldn't mind seeing Idzik get a chance with his own coach, but he has botched year 2 so bad that if things go slightly rough at the beginning of next year he will be a lame duck.

What quality coach wants to sign with a GM in his position?

That being said, if Rex and Idzik go Monday who the hell is in charge???? Seriously. There's a big chunk of games left. I have seen coaches fired mid season but the coach and GM?

Can you imagine if Woody pulls Parcells out of his ass as team president and he begins the search for the GM and HC next week????

This would also be a great F You to these billboard morons. I'd fire him the day before it gets put up if I'm Woody just to be a dick LOL

GMs can go in mid-season.  After the trade deadline they are trimming their nails for a month or two.  The coach thing is dicey.  You want players to still try.

If that happens I'm mailing Woody every friggin piece of Jet gear I own, hats, jerseys, keychains, everything.  After I get a coupla bums to piss on it.  No, I'll piss on it, would mean more that way.

let me buy you lunch first

Creamy-Asparagus-Soup-with-Morel-Mushroo

There's nothing really to gain by firing Rex & Idzik during the season. It would also be very out of character for Woody to make that move. I think there's a real downside, too, as since Woody's been here, he's always kept people from the previous staff as he shuffled people out - and that's a big part of the problem with the Jets. Allowing Graves and Morhinweg to serve in interim roles may persuade Woody to keep them on next year rather than do the housecleaning many of us are looking for.

And you can't fire the whole front office and coaching staff. The next GM will probably be forced to rely on the scouting department in place for his first draft - he can install his own people immediately after that. And the next coach may want to keep some of the coaches you have under contract - like Dunbar, for instance. So you let the new head coach pick and choose who he wants to keep, and he can fire the rest.

How did that work out for us these past couple of drafts? Frankly, I'd feel more comfortable going into this next draft if we replaced our scouting department with 10 JN posters randomly picked out of a hat. At the very least, I'd want Bauer and Bradway gone ASAP just to ensure they won't be held over into a new regime.

Also, having Graves serve as interim satisfies the Rooney rule, so we can get that out of the way now and get right down to interviewing the guys we really want.

How did that work out for us these past couple of drafts? Frankly, I'd feel more comfortable going into this next draft if we replaced our scouting department with 10 JN posters randomly picked out of a hat. At the very least, I'd want Bauer and Bradway gone ASAP just to ensure they won't be held over into a new regime.

Also, having Graves serve as interim satisfies the Rooney rule, so we can get that out of the way now and get right down to interviewing the guys we really want.

Just being practical here, living in the real world and all. The scouts in place have worked the whole college season. There's no way to stock an entire front office in January, and even if you could, there's no way they could prepare for an NFL draft after the college season is over. You make those moves after the draft. The next guy is kinda stuck, but that's how it works everywhere. 

They can interview Graves after the season. I want no part of an interim anything. Just clouds the issue. Team needs a clean sweep. 

Man, I loved that game. Started playing as soon as it got even a little warm out.  And they started getting the bats and "spaldeens" at the candy store.

You had a pitcher and one fielder.  Any caught grounder or pop was an out.  Over the first school yard fence was a single, hitting the next fence was a double, and over this persons house was a homer.  We must have made those people insane always going into their yard trying to find the ball.  

Yeah, stoop ball is all but gone.  Folks don't hang out in front too much anymore.

We called that game strike box, but it was just a pitcher and a batter with no fielder. 

Stoop ball was great, but we also used the spaldeen to play slap and punch ball in an intersection with each corner being a base and the pitcher one-bouncing (I think) the ball to the batter.

Off the wall was good too, a variation of stoop ball. 

Yes, I would rather talk about old Brooklyn street games than the Jets. 

I'll guarantee we lose to the Steelers. I promise right now I'll never post again if we win. Michael Kay is a tard though, as much as I wish this was true it's not happening

Quoting for future reference 

He's actually doubling down on it right now, saying the rumors he's been hearing are getting stronger...

He's ankle-biting Francesa, trying to push Kobe to the Knicks, and saying that he knows what the Jets are going to do on Monday? Yep, it's a ratings period.

We called that game strike box, but it was just a pitcher and a batter with no fielder. 

Stoop ball was great, but we also used the spaldeen to play slap and punch ball in an intersection with each corner being a base and the pitcher one-bouncing (I think) the ball to the batter.

Off the wall was good too, a variation of stoop ball. 

Yes, I would rather talk about old Brooklyn street games than the Jets. 

Yeah, we played the one on one version too.  But still called it stickball.   Never heard it called strike box. Cool.

Punch ball was awesome.  Forgot about that one.   And now that I'm thinking about it, what the heck was box ball?  Did you hit it back and forth to each other.  My memory fails me here.

Just being practical here, living in the real world and all. The scouts in place have worked the whole college season. There's no way to stock an entire front office in January, and even if you could, there's no way they could prepare for an NFL draft after the college season is over. You make those moves after the draft. The next guy is kinda stuck, but that's how it works everywhere. 

They can interview Graves after the season. I want no part of an interim anything. Just clouds the issue. Team needs a clean sweep. 

Considering a lay-person like me who just watches college games on TV could've done a better job drafting than said scouts who have worked the whole college season, I really don't see how a new set of scouts can do any worse, even absent adequate preparation. The sooner every remnant of this regime is purged, the better.

The scouting department that needs to be relieved of their duties... They have been abysmal... The Jets have serious problems with evaluating talent....

Maybe. But don't discount a lack of proper coaching and development, which includes instilling discipline & accountability. Something sorely lacking during Rex's regime.

Carolina fired their GM mid-season back in 2012. As to who'd be in charge, I'd make Graves the interim GM and Mornhinweg the interim HC to finish out the season, then on Black Monday fire the entire front office/scouting department and coaching staff.

I just hope there's legitimacy to this rumor, because now I have my hopes up.

Me too

Watched Rex's pressed from yesterday. He's still making jokes. He doesn't realize that those reporters are laughing at him, not with him. He made a joke about the next billboard being about him and then flashed that smirk. I want to slap that smirk off his face as bad as I wanted to slap the gum out of mangini's fat mouth.

Archived