Doug Marrone Opts Out - MERGED

JetsFanatic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Psychology of a Jets Fan:

1. Thing happens

2. Mehta writes something spectacularly stupid about it.

3. Jets fan screams about Mehta.

4. 37 minutes pass.

5. Jets fan regurgitates Mehta's opinion verbatim as gospel truth.

6. Repeat.

Yep.  A  month ago the majority of us would have signed off immediately on the Black Monday we experienced as well as having Wolf and Cass aiding in the search for our new HC and GM.  We have everything that  we could have asked for other than Woody selling the team.

Let's see things play out and trust in the guys who do this for a living rather than overreacting to every blog rumor.  

Felt the same way. At first, I couidnt understand the Marrone fascination, then I got a few texts from a Bills/SU fan saying he's the anti-Rex (which I was pumped about). His teams butchered Rex, they play the Pats close (which, according to Rex fans, is the true mark of greatness), and he's all business. He'd come here and humiliate Mehta on a daily basis. There will be no tattoos of bad QBs, no Santonio Holmes mutinies, he'll destroy malcontents, and he might put Woody in his place. All good things, imo, especially if he comes in a package deal with one of the big GM prospects who are rumored to like Marrone.

Also, as an aside, as perfect as that Buffalo situation would be for Rex (he could bring his whole posse of enablers!) he hasn't even been rumored to get a sniff of that job yet.

my issue is that he's supposedly a conservative coach who "coaches not to lose" ... hoping for someone aggressive with a killer instinct

Yep.  A  month ago the majority of us would have signed off immediately on the Black Monday we experienced as well as having Wolf and Cass aiding in the search for our new HC and GM.  We have everything that  we could have asked for other than Woody selling the team.

Let's see things play out and trust in the guys who do this for a living rather than overreacting to every blog rumor.  

+1, Well said. 

He killed Rex three straight times.

who gives a sh*t... I am not even sure why you keep quoting that stat.... The talent here has been bad last 2 years and beating Rex is not some noteworthy accomplishment even if it wasn't

@viccarucci: Bill Polian on why he decided not to join the #Bills: Role change became 'heavy lift.' Read more: http://t.co/2gfHofMYPJ

Former Buffalo Bills general manager Bill Polian told The Buffalo News today that he has turned down a chance to return to the team to oversee its football operations.

Polian said he had spoken with Bills owner Terry Pegula during the holidays about returning to the club in a "mentoring/advisory" role on the assumption that Doug Marrone would still be the head coach and quarterback Kyle Orton would still be on the roster.

"Then, the quarterback goes away and the coach disappears," Polian said, referring to Orton's decision to retire on Dec. 29 and Marrone's decision on Wednesday to exercise a clause that allowed him to vacate his contract with one year left.

"So the job, from my perspective, changed," Polian said. "It went from a mentoring and advising role, which would have been fun, to a real heavy lift -- hire a new coach, hire a staff, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

"The bottom line is the job description changed pretty dramatically and the most important thing is that it would have required a really long commitment to a new coach, who deserved a long commitment that I wasn't prepared to make. And that wouldn't have been fair to the organization or to whomever their new coach was. The coach is going to want to know that you're going to be there for a reasonably long time."

In Polian's view, that meant something longer than three years, which was the extent that he would have been willing to commit.

Polian also cited "family considerations," saying that the new role would have required time and effort that he didn't want to invest "at my age." Polian is 72.

In response to a media report that his decision not to join the Bills was over money, Polian said, "That is absolutely untrue. Terry Pegula treated me with the utmost respect throughout this process. My sole reasons for turning down this offer had to do with family and a commitment that the changed circumstances with the organization required."

1. Thing happens

4. 37 minutes pass.

6. Repeat.

LMAO!

I was thinking the same thing. We have fans that every name that gets mentioned..."OMG!, look what Buffalos beat writers are saying!"

Buffalo Bills beat writers....writing about a prickly guy from the Coughlin tree...really? Are they slightly upset he left them in the lurch without a goodbye?

1- Media doesn't like him

2- benched his QB for playing like a twit

3- improved the college team & the NFL team he took over

4- stickler for details

5- isn't afraid to fight for what he wants

6- From the Bronx

7- let's bring him on home to where he belongs

8- I hope he read the sh*t Mehta tweeted about him (will make Mehtas job so much easier)

For all the fans that keep complaining about every damn coaches name mentioned who do you want to coach the team?

who gives a sh*t... I am not even sure why you keep quoting that stat.... The talent here has been bad last 2 years and beating Rex is not some noteworthy accomplishment even if it wasn't

You really think EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton beat the Jets by three scores because of talent?

I am going to go with the party line and hate him. You all feel the same way because you know what you're talking. Marrone shouldn't dare be interviewed because _______. There are better candidates who have never had a head coaching job in there life. Pick one of them.

Sorry. I accidentally gave my thread a thumbs up

Former Bills coach Doug Marrone will meet with Jets
January, 1, 2015
JAN 1
4:35
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
The New York Jets and former Buffalo Bills coach Doug Marrone will meet in the coming days to discuss the team's head-coaching vacancy, it was confirmed Thursday. 

This, of course, comes as no surprise, considering the Jets expressed immediate interest in Marrone as soon as he decided Wednesday to exercise his opt-out from the Bills, making him the free agent. Marrone spoke Thursday by phone with Jets owner Woody Johnson, according to theMMQB.com. 

Truth be told, the Jets had been monitoring Marrone's situation with the Bills for days. New consultant Charley Casserly is known to be enamored of Marrone and is pushing his candidacy, according to sources. 

Marrone is prepared to interview with other teams, but there's a growing sense among industry insiders that he's the Jets' top candidate -- and he has mutual interest in the Jets. The Bronx native was the Jets' offensive line coach from 2002 to 2005. 

Sources confirmed that Marrone will interview with the Chicago Bears and Atlanta Falcons, as first reported by the New York Post. 

Meanwhile, the Jets are continuing their search for Rex Ryan's replacement, as they should. 

On Friday, the Jets' delegation -- which includes Johnson, Casserly and consultant Ron Wolf -- will be in Seattle to interview Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn. Like Marrone, he's a former Jets assistant with ties to the New York/New Jersey area. He grew up in Morristown, N.J., a few miles from the Jets' facility. Quinn is a hot candidate, drawing interest from the Falcons and San Francisco 49ers. 

While in Seattle, the Jets will meet with Seahawks offensive-line coach Tom Cable, a former Oakland Raiders head coach. 

San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Frank Reich also has agreed to interview with the Jets. That meeting likely will occur next week, but the Bills have emerged as a strong possibility for Reich, a former Buffalo quarterback. 

Two other confirmed candidates for the Jets' job are involved in playoff games this weekend -- Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles and Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak. They already have interviewed an in-house candidate, running backs coach Anthony Lynn. 

As for the Jets general-manager search, the candidate gaining traction is Mike Maccagnan, the Houston Texans' director of college scouting. He has ties to Casserly and Marrone. There is mutual interest and an interview will happen in the coming days.

You really think EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton beat the Jets by three scores because of talent?

good point.. if Rex takes over the HC job of every other nfl team so he'll never have to face another coach we'll be SB bound for sure

LMAO!

I was thinking the same thing. We have fans that every name that gets mentioned..."OMG!, look what Buffalos beat writers are saying!"

Buffalo Bills beat writers....writing about a prickly guy from the Coughlin tree...really? Are they slightly upset he left them in the lurch without a goodbye?

1- Media doesn't like him

2- benched his QB for playing like a twit

3- improved the college team & the NFL team he took over

4- stickler for details

5- isn't afraid to fight for what he wants

6- From the Bronx

7- let's bring him on home to where he belongs

8- I hope he read the sh*t Mehta tweeted about him (will make Mehtas job so much easier)

For all the fans that keep complaining about every damn coaches name mentioned who do you want to coach the team?

The fan base won't be pleased with anyone. 

1. Thing happens

4. 37 minutes pass.

6. Repeat.

I'm sitting here LMAO.

Marrone is awful.  He took EJ Manuel in the middle of the first round when Manuel was graded as a third rounder by most teams.  Even Jimbo FIsher told teams that Manuel didn't have the tools to be an NFL starter.

Marrone was the GM? Where did you get that? 

That is nice and dandy when you win. Look at the history of coaches with that kind style.  If you don’t win under that system, it will be painful to watch, players will be encouraged to quit (Perfect example recently was Gregg Schiano) You become a prick when you are not winning and treating players like sh*t.  When Coughlin was not winning at the beginning of his term with Giants they were rumor of players quitting on him and he had to change his style becoming more lenient with his players.

Is that you, Manish? As opposed to them not showing up at all for players' coach rex Ryan, like in Detroit vs. Marrone's Bills. This team needs a coach who pays attention to detail and holds players responsible. Ryan's happy talk no consequences style will fail. 

The fan base won't be pleased with anyone.

You got it!

There is absolutely no one good enough for this fan base.

I just want a guy that is more detail oriented. I don't want a guy that runs fake punts in meaningless games (have some balls & call one when it matters), or plays his (maybe starting QB) in a meaningless preseason game in the 4th quarter.

Hey, maybe, just maybe we can get a coach that has a team that rushes to lineup on a call that might be reviewed, or gets up to the line quickly on a 3rd & short to force the opposition into using a TO, or doesn't have their QB taking 5 step drops when in field goal range & getting sacked all the time.

With better coaching the Jets would have won BOTH of the Patriot games.

I a game when their kicker is hurting they play for FGs. BRILLIANT!

Archived