Dolphins to hand control of football operations to Mike Tannenbaum

dbatesman

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You all strike me as 10 math guys, doc.

Math has never been my friend. I used to think I was awesome at it too, until differential equations and Calc 2 freshman year made me realize I was pretty f*cking terrible at it and decided to remove the engineering from my biochemical engineering major. F*ck you numbers. 

Solid score. I hear they're revamping the entire thing in response to a lot of these expensive programs that have been designed to artificially enhance student's scores without actually teaching them anything but different tricks and patterns.

Thanks. It paved the way for me to become the great success that I am today.

I don't find this funny at all. He was light years better than idZik. Hell Id rather we kept Mike T and never hired the ninja

He was good early on and was central with Mangini in building a team that got us to two AFCCGs.  After the 2nd however he started making stupid move after stupid move squandering money and picks.  By the time he was fired the offense was a mere shell of itself.  

Thanks. It paved the way for me to become the great success that I am today.

If you didn't shoot so high and lowered those numbers a bit more, you could have had a shot at being the new Czar of Football operations for the Miami Dolphins. Shows you not to be such an overachiever next time. 

Tannenbaum did build the foundation for the teams that made the playoff runs, drafting guys like Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Brad Smith, Leon Washington, swapping 2nds to get Thomas Jones, Eric Smith (for a 4th rounder I believe? At least he played good special teams and some spot safety, better than cutting your 4th rounder a month into the season). Traded a 3rd, 5th and some jags for Braylon, a 5th for Holmes was a great move for 2010, just the extension was bad. A 2nd for Cro, etc.

He missed on Gholston and Sanchez bigtime......the Sanchez pick along with the extension was the main reason he got fired.....but at the time when he went all in for 2010 I liked the move.....he saw how 2009 went and took his shot while he had it......if we had the Quarterback we probably win a SB and he's still here.

So long story short....wasn't terrible and wasn't great. Did some good and bad.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

He wasn't hired as GM, if they let the GM being the GM and Tanny's job is just to keep the owner out of the football business, while making the owner feel valued as an influence on the football side of things, he'll do that job well. 

Read on PFT that the GM will report to Tannenbaum, while the coach reports directly to the owner. Looks like they're highly interested in dysfunction.

Report: Joe Philbin will report directly to Stephen Ross
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 6, 2015, 3:16 PM EST
philbin1.jpg?w=230Getty Images

Give the Dolphins credit for one thing: They have created the most convoluted organizational chart in the NFL.

After hiring former Jets General Manager to become their new poobah of football — the exact title is executive vice president of football operations — the Dolphins have created a tangled web of responsibility.

According to Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald, coach Joe Philbin will report directly to owner Stephen Ross. Current Dolphins G.M. Dennis Hickey will report to Tannenbaum.

What could possibly go wrong?

While Hickey has been effectively neutered after one season with the Dolphins, Philbin is clearly the guy left hanging in this deal.

Ross has allowed Philbin to coach out the final year of his contract, but that’s not a very stable place to be, with a new guy at the top of the football business.

Philbin may be wishing he had a Doug Marrone clause right about now, because he doesn’t have much of what you’d refer to as job security.

Last time the Sardines tried to hire a Grand Poobah of Football, they hired Marino.

He showed up, looked things over and QUIT after about a week.

And now Ross-o the Clown is running such a dysfunctional circus and has added the Boob who traded picks for Tebow as his ringmaster

Read on PFT that the GM will report to Tannenbaum, while the coach reports directly to the owner. Looks like they're highly interested in dysfunction.

Give the Dolphins credit for one thing: They have created the most convoluted organizational chart in the NFL.

After hiring former Jets General Manager to become their new poobah of football — the exact title is executive vice president of football operations — the Dolphins have created a tangled web of responsibility.

According to Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald, coach Joe Philbin will report directly to owner Stephen Ross. Current Dolphins G.M. Dennis Hickey will report to Tannenbaum.

While Hickey has been effectively neutered after one season with the Dolphins, Philbin is clearly the guy left hanging in this deal.

Ross has allowed Philbin to coach out the final year of his contract, but that’s not a very stable place to be, with a new guy at the top of the football business.

Philbin may be wishing he had a Doug Marrone clause right about now, because he doesn’t have much of what you’d refer to as job security.

Tannenbaum hire in Miami creates awkward situation for the Jets
Posted by Mike Florio on January 6, 2015, 5:50 PM EST
450x313-alg_mike-tannenbaum-smiles.jpg?wAP

The Dolphins have now announced that Mike Tannenbaum will become the executive V.P. of football operations.  The employment relationship, as expected begins on February 1.

So what does that mean in the interim?  It means that things could get awkward soon for Tannenbaum, his former employer, his future employer, and his current top coaching client.

Tannenbaum represents Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, with whom the Jets reportedly are smitten.  So what if the Jets decide to hire Quinn?

On the surface, it’s awkward.  In multiple ways.  For starters, Tannenbaum would be negotiating with the team that fired him.  At a deeper level, he’d be helping to place a client with a team that will play Tannenbaum’s next employer twice per year.

The awkwardness will be reduced by Tannenbaum taking a back seat.  Per a league source, Rick Smith of Priority Sports will take the lead in the negotiations.  Which is a smart move.  If Tannenbaum believes Quinn is destined to become a great coach, he may be inclined to steer Quinn to a place other than the Jets.

Further reducing the awkwardness (and potential conflict of interest) is the fact that the situation has been disclosed to all parties involved.  Of course, the announcement that Tannenbaum will be joining the Dolphins in a high-level capacity now places everyone on notice of an unusual set of dynamics in the AFC East.

I find it hard to believe that the NFL wouldn't have some sort of ethics committee that prevents conflicts of interest like this from effecting employment opportunities for the coaches in the league, not to mention the viability of million-dollar franchises.

Oh wait, it's the NFL. 

Tannenbaum did build the foundation for the teams that made the playoff runs, drafting guys like Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Brad Smith, Leon Washington, swapping 2nds to get Thomas Jones, Eric Smith (for a 4th rounder I believe? At least he played good special teams and some spot safety, better than cutting your 4th rounder a month into the season). Traded a 3rd, 5th and some jags for Braylon, a 5th for Holmes was a great move for 2010, just the extension was bad. A 2nd for Cro, etc.

He missed on Gholston and Sanchez bigtime......the Sanchez pick along with the extension was the main reason he got fired.....but at the time when he went all in for 2010 I liked the move.....he saw how 2009 went and took his shot while he had it......if we had the Quarterback we probably win a SB and he's still here.

So long story short....wasn't terrible and wasn't great. Did some good and bad.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

He was the best GM we've probably ever had. He built a roster that was filled with Talent, just couldn't get the QB.

He was excellent with the cap, and had some really good drafts. His biggest problem was trying to reload too many years, instead of starting to rebuild earlier. That only works when you have a great QB.

I liked Tanny, his biggest blinder was giving the contract to Holmes over Edwards, and the tebow move. But overall a pretty damn good GM.

He was the best GM we've probably ever had. He built a roster that was filled with Talent, just couldn't get the QB.

He was excellent with the cap, and had some really good drafts. His biggest problem was trying to reload too many years, instead of starting to rebuild earlier. That only works when you have a great QB.

I liked Tanny, his biggest blinder was giving the contract to Holmes over Edwards, and the tebow move. But overall a pretty damn good GM.

If you believe Tebow was his Idea there is a bridge close bye that is for sale. He fell on the sword for the owner on that one. Something you must be willing to do if you ever want to be the boss again. If he would have painted Woody as a "tampering" owner, All the other owners would know that he would do it to them also.

If you believe Tebow was his Idea there is a bridge close bye that is for sale. He fell on the sword for the owner on that one. Something you must be willing to do if you ever want to be the boss again. If he would have painted Woody as a "tampering" owner, All the other owners would know that he would do it to them also.

Tannenbaum, Ryan, Bradway, Elway, everybody involved said it was Tannenbaum's idea and Tannenbaum's final decision. It even got Tannenbaum fired (along with extending Sanchez and Holmes, blowing the cap to smithereens, trading away additional picks to draft Greene, Sanchez, Hill others)

Figures a noted Pats troll knows otherwise based on what he heard on WEEI and NESN. Of course

Almost not a word of that is true. He was pretty mediocre. 

Whaddaya know? A circus with Mikey T. smack in the middle of it!

Tannenbaum, Ryan, Bradway, Elway, everybody involved said it was Tannenbaum's idea and Tannenbaum's final decision. It even got Tannenbaum fired (along with extending Sanchez and Holmes, blowing the cap to smithereens, trading away additional picks to draft Greene, Sanchez, Hill others)

Figures a noted Pats troll knows otherwise based on what he heard on WEEI and NESN. Of course

Yes, I understand and I still believe Tanny took the fall, the move just smacked of PR. Rex and Tanny had a good working relationship. The only time that I remember Rex criticizing Tanny was with the Hill pick. "that was his guy" He never said anything about Tebow even though he never used him in the role they spoke of during the press conference. If it wasn't woody's choice I think Rex would have criticized Tanny publicly for getting him a player that he did not want and one who created such a distraction.

And you know nothing of the media up here if you think any patriot talk is on weei ( except for a monday qb segment) or on Nesn=absolutely nothing.

Knowing nothing about putrid Boston sports media is something I am quite proud of.

In fact, I have NESN on my comcast cable in condo in Vermont (where I am heading to the slopes next week) however that channel has yet to be clicked since I purchased in 1989

Knowing nothing about putrid Boston sports media is something I am quite proud of.

In fact, I have NESN on my comcast cable in condo in Vermont (where I am heading to the slopes next week) however that channel has yet to be clicked since I purchased in 1989

NESN is for Red Sox, Bruins & College Hockey games. No one watches it unless there is a live game on.

So, Tannebaum's gig with us ended after he gave out a few bad extensions... and now:

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins will soon approach head coach Joe Philbin about a contract extension.

2015 would be Philbin's contract year. Owner Stephen Ross is committed to Philbin despite consistent underachievement in three years as head coach. The extension would also address the notion of Philbin entering next season as a lame duck. If the Dolphins are going to keep Philbin -- and by all appearances, they will -- they need an upgrade at defensive coordinator. For all the talent Miami has in the front seven, there is no way they should be a mediocre, descending defense year in and year out.

He's picking up, right where he left off.

Miami Dolphins WR Mike Wallace has reportedly quit on the team multiple times this season. He told his position coach before halftime of the season finale, and later repeated it to his head coach, that if he wasn't getting the football thrown to him, there was no need for him to play. He allegedly did the same thing in Week 15 against the New England Patriots.

lol

Archived