First HC Hired - Rex to Bills

JetsFanatic

Your entire consortium has been exposed as the fraud many of us knew it was.

The very 1st coach hired by the team that interviewed the most candidates? Ouch babe.

Shane is definitely reeling a bit, but I think the fact that the Bills hired Rex gives his fans little to thump their chests about.  Instead of an ideal spot like Chicago or Atlanta who wouldn't give him the time of day, he gets a low-rate franchise with no QB and he may have to deal with a LOT of tension with a known a$$hole in Jim Schwartz.  The Bills have no intention of letting their incumbent Defensive Coordinator go.

This isn't going to end up a win for Rex or Buffalo. 

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weeks shouldn't come as a surprise. He's the new Pettine for Rex.

Hahaha.  Come on man.  This is Jeff Weeks, from "Collision Low Crossers".  Yeah, next Pettine for sure.

But much of the job of coaching in the NFL took place within offices and classrooms, in meetings and on computers. Modern football coaches couldn’t have done their jobs without constant reliance on computers, which analyzed every aspect of the game for them and also served as their means for exchanging information. They used computers to break down and dissect the game film of opponents; on computers they built the game plans, and on computers they drew the opponent’s best plays after choosing them from the film breakdowns. These drawings were then printed out on cards and run live by the players in practice. Jeff Weeks did not fully understand the new programs that allowed football coaches to do all this. Perhaps he didn’t want to. He said he considered computers the “inefficient” tools of “desk coaches,” making Weeks at this point similar to a nineteenth-century textile worker railing against automated looms. Nor did he have much regard for the single-mindedness of those around him. “Football’s football,” he would say. “They’re putting people on the moon who work less than us. Guys who operate on brains work less.” More than the other coaches, Weeks explored New Jersey; he ventured into the ethnic neighborhoods of Newark and Brooklyn and even started to learn Portuguese. There were those in the organization who thought Weeks was plenty smart and more clever than most people gave him credit for. Others sympathized with him, saying that Ryan had placed Weeks in “a horrible position.” But they also said that, given the opportunity Ryan had presented to such an inexperienced professional coach, Weeks ought to be the hardest-working man in the building.
Weeks reported to Pettine. Pettine was all about winning. He thought that since so many uncontrollable variables decided whether or not a football team would be successful, it was vital to control what variables you could. Pettine believed Jeff Weeks was impeding the Jets’ chances to be successful. In midseason of 2010, Pettine wrote and distributed a ten-point memo entitled “Coach like a Jet” that detailed his expectations for defensive coaches. These included “Can grade their players bluntly and honestly based on detailed knowledge of each defensive call” and “Completes their weekly scouting report assignment and practice cards professionally and on time.” He did this because Weeks was falling short in many areas, and Pettine wanted Weeks to understand what was expected of him; he also wanted to spare Ryan what he knew would be a painful confrontation. Mostly, Weeks concentrated on keeping out of Pettine’s way, and in the daily defensive meetings led by Pettine, he refrained from saying a word.

If nothing else, this puts a little heat back into the Jets/Bills rivalry, at least for me.  Maybe it's because I've had friends in the past who were Bills fans whereas I really haven't had any Dolphins or Pats fans that I've really known, but I've never hated the Bills in the way that I've despised Miami and New England. 

I think ellis is out.  snacks is a guy you find room on the roster for.  I think they can tender him at a 1st/2nd pretty easily but I'm not sure of the details

Ellis is possibly out but he's not the "odd man out", he's irrelevant.  The problem is that Wilkerson and Richardson would both slide inside in a 4-3 for the most part.  Meaning that we'd need a new RE in this scheme.  Snacks is still the odd man out when you remove Ellis from the equation.  

Hahaha.  Come on man.  This is Jeff Weeks, from "Collision Low Crossers":

A coach in any competitive sport ast any level who refuses to use very common and accepted technology is a failure. This is Rex Ryan's best buddy, and he basically choose this doing nothing happytalk drinking buddy over Pettine.

If nothing else, this puts a little heat back into the Jets/Bills rivalry, at least for me.  Maybe it's because I've had friends in the past who were Bills fans whereas I really haven't had any Dolphins or Pats fans that I've really known, but I've never hated the Bills in the way that I've despised Miami and New England. 

That's probably how 90% of Jet fans have seen felt.. Until now they can take out their Rex hatred on the Bills.

And this is soooo awesome he's in the division. So awesome.

Really couldn't have worked out worse for the Jets. 

Where are all the Jet Fans on this site that guaranteed Rex would never get a HC job again? He got the first one, and just got a guaranteed 5 year/28m deal. Those people that made those predictions know absolutely nothing. 

So Where are those people that had no idea what they were talking about? They are filling this thread with statements like "Buffalo is doomed now" or " The Jets got so lucky Rex is in Buffalo" etc etc. 

The Bottom line is it is never good to have your coaches go to a division rival. I think Rex should have been fired but this certainly is terrible news for the Jets. People act like coaches never improve or do poorly on their second head coaching job. Tell that to Pete Carrol/Bill Belicheck. Both Former Jet coaches with Super bowl rings that will likely play each other in this years big game.  

Our Team is currently the worst in our division - We have alot of work to do. 

Ellis is possibly out but he's not the "odd man out", he's irrelevant.  The problem is that Wilkerson and Richardson would both slide inside in a 4-3 for the most part.  Meaning that we'd need a new RE in this scheme.  Snacks is still the odd man out when you remove Ellis from the equation.  

coples ?

most teams run multiple fronts, they will find a way to keep snacks imho

You are the king of living in the past. It is all you do.

I'm not happy Rex ended up in buffalo. I'm not convinced the jets will beat them 10 times in a row over the next 5 years like you are.

Rex's MO has been beating the Patriots sometimes when it's unexpected, and losing divisional games he shouldn't.  I think its actually perfect that he ended up in the division.  We're not going to dominate the Bills but ultimately I fail to see how this ends well for them.  

Maybe they have a successful year or 2 while we continue to rebuild, but unless Rex somehow learns how to work with young QB's, delegate properly and avoid making poor clock and game management decisions, his luster will fade very quickly.

A coach in any competitive sport ast any level who refuses to use very common and accepted technology is a failure. This is Rex Ryan's best buddy, and he basically choose this doing nothing happytalk drinking buddy over Pettine.

Once Weeks was asked to make some simple player cards for an upcoming opponent.  Weeks forgot so Rex did it for him.  Next Pettine!!!

The fact that he's even considering bringing Weeks over means he's learned nothing.

Ole Rex will certainly want to run the Jets noses in sh*t for letting him guy. Same way that that he did with the Ravens, and how much he go the teams up for those games.

Oh yeah, Rex was 0-3 against the Ravens.

This has a Pete Carroll feel to it, as he went to NE

Pete Carroll never had a losing season in NE and made the playoffs 2 of the 3 years he was there.. The BB replaced him and went 5-11 until Brady in year 2..

Really couldn't have worked out worse for the Jets.

Where are all the Jet Fans on this site that guaranteed Rex would never get a HC job again? He got the first one, and just got a guaranteed 5 year/28m deal. Those people that made those predictions know absolutely nothing.

So Where are those people that had no idea what they were talking about? They are filling this thread with statements like "Buffalo is doomed now" or " The Jets got so lucky Rex is in Buffalo" etc etc.

The Bottom line is it is never good to have your coaches go to a division rival. I think Rex should have been fired but this certainly is terrible news for the Jets. People act like coaches never improve or do poorly on their second head coaching job. Tell that to Pete Carrol/Bill Belicheck. Both Former Jet coaches with Super bowl rings that will likely play each other in this years big game.

Our Team is currently the worst in our division - We have alot of work to do.

Yes. Sheer terror has overtaken all of us.

Once Weeks was asked to make some simple player cards for an upcoming opponent.  Weeks forgot so Rex did it for him.  Next Pettine!!!

The fact that he's even considering bringing Weeks over means he's learned nothing.

is this the guy on hard knocks that didn't know how many feet are in a yard ?

Per reports Schwartz will be staying on as DC. Thurman screwed.

Yeah, good start for Rex's tenure.  Already denied his Defensive Coordinator.  And now he has to oversee an egomaniac who once had his players carry him off the field after a regular season win (not even as a Head Coach, as a DC).  

This is a great day, Jets fans.  Embrace it.

good old harry already has the fever, lol

I also think the talent around Rex deteriorated over the years, bad gm and ownership, it will b better in buffalo, the key to his success, is selecting the right asst coaches. He doesn't have a proven qb but lets c how ej comes into next year

coples ?

most teams run multiple fronts, they will find a way to keep snacks imho

Nothing against Harrison but he's an eminently replaceable DL guy, not a Pro Bowler. He isn't as good as Pouha or Devito were in the same or similar spots,and he benefits from the talent around him being the focus of OCs facing the Jets.

Pete Carroll never had a losing season in NE and made the playoffs 2 of the 3 years he was there.. The BB replaced him and went 5-11 until Brady in year 2..

Not sure if I remember this correctly, but was AL Groh the HC of the Jets the year Brady won his 1st Super Bowl ? Didn't the Jets with Vinny at QB had the Patriots on the ropes with their season on the line before the Jets blew the Game ? Didn't Groh make a comment about Vinny giving the game away with his INTs ?

Am I all wet old friend ?

I think Rex deserves his own message board!

Had roughly the same thing going on after Herman Edwards decamped for KC. WHich didn't work out too good for the Chiefs, and Edwards made his way to TV. This figures to play out the same.

By contrast even with a 9-7 record nobody was sorry to see Al Groh or Eric Mangini make for the exit sign.

Nothing against Harrison but he's an eminently replaceable DL guy, not a Pro Bowler. He isn't as good as Pouha or Devito were in the same or similar spots,and he benefits from the talent around him being the focus of OCs facing the Jets.

Disagree. Snacks has made a ton of stops behind LOS. He's been a beast. Top 5 in the league IMO.

2nd round tender... is a fair tender.

They are keeping Schwartz, so maybe they actually won't change schemes on D, but instead will incorporate some of Rex's pass-rush philosophies to what Schwartz already has in place. I'm also seeing that they'll hire Greg Roman. 

I wonder if Rex had any say in the coaches being put around him, or if he's deferring already to what other people give him, so that he's well-positioned to finger-point in a year from now.

So Roman runs the O, Schwartz runs the D.  What exactly will Rex do?  Stare at the clock and ask Jeff Weeks if it's too early to call a timeout?

I'll take our D-Line over theirs, thank you. All their guys are signed to huge contracts, they're much older, they have red flags. Pace & Landry would fit right in. No red flags, but they suck, they're old and overpaid.

Almost forgot Pace's 2.4 mil salary along with Landrys 1.5. And Mo n Snacks will need to be resigned too, but I guess they wouldn't ask for than couple mil each, right?

Give me a break.

All this while having the #1 or #2 D over the last 6 yrs.

really? the jets had ther number 1 defense in 2009. after that its become progressively worse under ryan.

total yards: 1st

total point: 1st

total yards: 3rd

total points: 6th

total yards: 5th

total points: 20th

run: 13th

total yards: 8th

total points: 20th

run: 26th

total yards: 11th

total points: 19th

pass: 22nd

total; yards: 6th

total points: 24th

pass: 14th

lets not forget the defenses propensity to fail when it matters. rex's defense was great for one year and pretty good the year after. the last 4 years we have watched the defense get worse and worse, giving up more and more yards and points. now i'd classify it as mediocre at best and actually sort of bad.  24th in points allowed. that's dreadful. the only thing we do well is stop the run. which works out really well in the new nfl's pass friendly league now doesn't it? idk where people come up with the idea that rex has had one of the top defenses in the league recently because it couldn't be more wrong. rex's vaunted defense has been mia for 4 years. what we've had here is kinda crap.

Archived