Jaguars to hire John Idzik

Morrissey

Idzik got a raw deal here. Started out in cap hell, left us with one of the richest caps in the league. Had a plan he wasn't able to institute because he was cut short. Never got to hire his own coach. His plan was to save money to put the team in a positive financial state which could lead to long-term success. he also managed FA's to maximize comp picks and build through the draft to the tune of 12 draft picks. Idzik got Rex'd. Nobody wanted to blame the true culprit. Three Offensive coordinators, two defensive coordinators and two General Managers all got canned under Rex's tenure and the team still ended up with three wins. Idzik will make an excellent consultant.

How can we build through the draft if he doesnt know how to draft? Evaluate players?

Name me one good player he drafted besides Rich.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love patting Idzik on the back for fixing our cap situation.  So for two years you sign nobody and that is a plus?  Johnson could have done that on his one.  Been the alter-Jerry Jones.  He maximized comp picks?  That is nice.  Which one of them doesn't suck? 

He set the team up well for this year.  Overall a better FA crop, tons of caps space, a new and better coach.  Would this team be better off going 7-9 with a few more long term big dollar contracts to guys like DRC, they might still have Rex if the cobbled together another abberation of an 8-8 record.

His big fail was last years draft, especially at WR for that he deserves full abuse.  As far as some of the other players?  Tough to tell how they are with Rex as the coach, he simply refused to play them, even at the end of the year.  You know that Rex loves his vets even ones that have lost it.

We will find out this year if all of those picks were terrible or not.

He set the team up well for this year.  Overall a better FA crop, tons of caps space, a new and better coach.  Would this team be better off going 7-9 with a few more long term big dollar contracts to guys like DRC, they might still have Rex if the cobbled together another abberation of an 8-8 record.

His big fail was last years draft, especially at WR for that he deserves full abuse.  As far as some of the other players?  Tough to tell how they are with Rex as the coach, he simply refused to play them, even at the end of the year.  You know that Rex loves his vets even ones that have lost it.

We will find out this year if all of those picks were terrible or not.

I don't totally hate on the guy, or think they should have kept Rex.  I am probably firmly on the Rex side of the fence as far as Rex v. Idzik though.  Most of those comp picks are not even on the team.  On a talent bereft team that is pretty weak.  There are roster spots for Chris Owusu, Greg Salas, David Nelson and TJ Graham - burn three picks on WRs and fail?  There was a roster spot for about 73 sh*tty CBs and they still cut the 6th rounder. Basically, you have hope for Dozier and Enemkpali.  Reilly is as old as guys getting their second contracts as it is. 

More importantly, the FAs that he did sign were old guys that made it look like he wasn't looking to the future.  Harvin may have been a desperation move where he realized he could not keep his job at 2-14, but what about Vick, Johnson and Babin?  I will give you a push on Colon, but those 3 guys provide nothing for the future, but wasted a ton of money for yesterday guys.

I don't totally hate on the guy, or think they should have kept Rex.  I am probably firmly on the Rex side of the fence as far as Rex v. Idzik though.  Most of those comp picks are not even on the team.  On a talent bereft team that is pretty weak.  There are roster spots for Chris Owusu, Greg Salas, David Nelson and TJ Graham - burn three picks on WRs and fail?  There was a roster spot for about 73 sh*tty CBs and they still cut the 6th rounder. Basically, you have hope for Dozier and Enemkpali.  Reilly is as old as guys getting their second contracts as it is. 

More importantly, the FAs that he did sign were old guys that made it look like he wasn't looking to the future.  Harvin may have been a desperation move where he realized he could not keep his job at 2-14, but what about Vick, Johnson and Babin?  I will give you a push on Colon, but those 3 guys provide nothing for the future, but wasted a ton of money for yesterday guys.

Boyd is the only comp pick that is not on the team out of the 4 we got.  Dozier, Enunwa, enkampali, Boyd.  (And it could easily be argued that Boyd was a rex pick)

FA's for the future?  Like who?  Most FAs' are not young good players because they are not available, the guys available all have question marks and want big contracts or term.  They could have backed up the truck for Desean jackson but they would have had to significantly outbid the skins.  The only guy I look at and say they could have gotten with an over pay or over term is DRC and he didn't help the giants to anything better than an 18th ranked pass defense.

It's easy to list the stop gap guys he did sign, list all of the young promising guys he did not sign.  His big fault was the disastrous 4th round with Saunders and Evans, horrible picks.

He didn't pay a 'ton of money' for Vick,johnson or babin. Better yet he arranged it so we could get out from under any of those players if they did not work out.  Even the Harvin deal which was a gamble we can get ut from under easily or keep him if we wish.

Boyd is the only comp pick that is not on the team out of the 4 we got.  Dozier, Enunwa, enkampali, Boyd.  (And it could easily be argued that Boyd was a rex pick)

FA's for the future?  Like who?  Most FAs' are not young good players because they are not available, the guys available all have question marks and want big contracts or term.  They could have backed up the truck for Desean jackson but they would have had to significantly outbid the skins.  The only guy I look at and say they could have gotten with an over pay or over term is DRC and he didn't help the giants to anything better than an 18th ranked pass defense.

It's easy to list the stop gap guys he did sign, list all of the young promising guys he did not sign.  His big fault was the disastrous 4th round with Saunders and Evans, horrible picks.

Fair enough, particularly on Boyd.  I guess if those are the comp picks, he just completely bombed all our mid-late regular picks. I am not talking about missing out on guys like Jackson, I am talking about the fact that he cut corners to a fault and then wasted $12+M on those three.  Throw in Dmitri Patterson and you are basically talking Revis money for garbage. Giacomini has pretty much sucked too. 

Me too. Especially Dmitri Patterson, the Harvin trade (after not getting one in the most loaded WR draft in history), his entire 2013 other than Sheldon Richardson, and saving all that money for Macagnan to work with. But yeah hated the 2014 draft and the Kerley deal.

Also thought Our American Cousin was an incredible play.

Patterson cost us nothing, he knew it was a terrible team. If he signed Revis instead we win 5 games instead of 4.

13 draft was ok.

Wasn't happy about Harvin, but it wasn't a terrible idea.

In the end if this team has schlepped to a 7 win season and looked as bad doing it as we did winning 4 with more FA's, less cap space and commitments of a longer term nature this team would perhaps not be picking top 10, would have less cap space and problaby have players the new regime don't care for.

There was no real viable option at QB as far as a big upgrade is concerned, Idzik went and got decker buy most accounts the top available WR.  His draft was lousy although the jury is still out but he left the team in great shape for a new regime to come in and look like heros.

Idzik was setting up for a year he wasn't getting...period.

Better FAs in 2015 than 2014 & more of them.

The contracts he did sign were cheap & flexible, allowing us to get out of them easily.

Idzik didn't play Sanchez in a meaningless preseason game in the 4th quarter behind warehouse workers & UPS drivers.

Idzik certainly didn't build the draft board they used for the 2014 draft either.

You guys talk like when cameras scanned the Jets war room Idzik was in there alone with his hand on his chin thinking when our picks came up, lmao. Hmmm, this Evans kid looks pretty good, but I like Saunders 3 cone a lot.

Do you know how many people are involved in setting up a draft board?

Nothing but GREAT things will come out of the Idzik hiring!!!!

Salary cap: 50 Million!

Best FA under contract: Eric Decker at a reasonable 7.5 million

Top 5 player from the draft: Sheldon Richardson

Rex: FIRED!

Bradway: FIRED

New Coach: Todd Bowles. You don't hear a bad thing. Arians LOVES HIM! You didn't hear sh*t from the Ravens regarding Rex after they chose Harbaugh instead of him.

New GM: Nothing but praise from anyone that comments. Plus he & Bowles have an actual PLAN!

New OC: Chan has had success in so many forums. Wants balanced spread offense. Can adapt scheme to players. Has head coaching experience. Known as a great TEACHER.

We all finally got the complete reset we were all looking for. It's absolutely crazy that It took a martyr like Idzik to change the fortunes of our NY Jets. We'll all look back at this as the biggest turning point in the history of the New York Jets.

Bigger than the arrival of Parcells because this group will be here long enough to change the culture.

Parcells was looking for short term success & left us in cap hell.

Tannenbaum did the same.

It's a new era of Jets football. I'm really excited about. Finally, football people are running the show at every level underneath Woody.

Idzik did some nice things for the Jets, but cleaning house and starting over was the right move for the team.  I think he'll be able to move forward and succeed in a financial role with any NFL front office.

He took the team from one of the worst cap situations in the league to one of the best in two short years.  He added some nice players like Richardson, Decker, and Amaro.  What effectively did him in was Geno flopping his first two seasons and poor drafting in the secondary (high investment of 2 first rounders and 1 third rounder, all of whom are busts to date).

The draft board is not his fault? What the **** did we hire him for? I can see last season when he just came on board, but for 2014? Those picks are on him. FWIW, I think this week there were stories that people in the Jets war room were clamoring for Martavis Bryant but Izik hung firm with Saunders and Evans

Idzik died for our sins.

The draft board is not his fault? What the **** did we hire him for? I can see last season when he just came on board, but for 2014? Those picks are on him. FWIW, I think this week there were stories that people in the Jets war room were clamoring for Martavis Bryant but Izik hung firm with Saunders and Evans

Of course there are such stories. Those guys are looking for work. As it would seem Idzik is not. In any event, it's a fair point that his own capacity for talent evaluation never played nearly the role in decision making as people think. It's not like we win or lose wars on the president's personal aptitude for military strategy. He's a manager. Managers manage.

Of course there are such stories. Those guys are looking for work. As it would seem Idzik is not. In any event, it's a fair point that his own capacity for talent evaluation never played nearly the role in decision making as people think. It's not like we win or lose wars on the president's personal aptitude for military strategy. He's a manager. Managers manage.

All true.  Managers manage and bad managers manage badly.

He took the team from one of the worst cap situations in the league to one of the best in two short years. ).

you realize a trained monkey could do that and win 4 games. A "good" job would be improving the cap position while remaining competitive.

And this notion that he was setting up for this year is criminal, there's no such thing as burning a year before it starts. I'm sure the Vets loved having 20M on the sideline and no CB's or WR's

and this one managed to win 4 games and earn his pink slip.. Not sure why he has defenders

A lot of revisionist history going on here.

Idzik did a good job keeping the cap in shape, but that's about it.

Save for Willie Colon, his free agent acquisitions were horrendous. Mike Goodson, David Garrard, Dmitri Patterson, Antwan Barnes, Antonio Garay, Mike Vick, and Chris Johnson.....that's a whole lot of fail right there. Eric Decker has been OK, and Breno is serviceable. Colon has been good at times, but his penalties negate a lot of the positives.

And then there's his drafting. In a nutshell: a whole lot of garbage, and Sheldon Richardson.

Yes he was saddled with Rex his first year. But he could have fought to fire the guy if he didn't want him. By agreeing to keep him another year, Rex became HIS coach.

The guy was unqualified to be a GM, and it showed in his performance. Thankfully Woody moved on quickly from that disaster.

Decker and Winslow were the only good FA acquisitions and they were both obvious moves. It's like crediting Brian Cashman with signing CC Sabathia and Mark Texeira in 2009. Really?

His draft record was horrific and not signing Desean Jackson when he was on a silver platter and fit our offense because he might be a bad influence on Calvin Pryor and Jalen Saunders was pure idiocy. Vick was years past being done and bringing his clown ass here manufactured a qb controversy. Who needs Cromartie back at a discount when you can get D'Mitri Patterson.

A 5 year old girl could have made better draft picks the last 2 years.

It's fine to say that Idzik should have been fired for the results on the field, but it needs to be acknowledged that he was doomed from the start. The team, with the existing coaching staff, was well on its way to an inevitable implosion. Idzik did well to ensure that the future prospects of the organization weren't trapped in the wreckage. There are no sh*tty contracts on this team right now, there's a ton of cap space, there's young talent on the roster, and solid personalities across the board. The alternative was to go throw tons of cap space at DRC and Mike Wallace while Rex chases 8 wins every year. Awesome.

Idzik apologist.

Patterson cost us nothing, he knew it was a terrible team. If he signed Revis instead we win 5 games instead of 4.

13 draft was ok.

Wasn't happy about Harvin, but it wasn't a terrible idea.

did you watch the secondary being shredded to death last year? a competent corner position nets you more than 1 game. oline,qb,and corner postions cost the jets plenty of games last year and john idzik was responsible for all of them.

bad managers become non managers. what is idzik managing in jax? food, beverage, and travel manager?

you realize a trained monkey could do that and win 4 games. A "good" job would be improving the cap position while remaining competitive.

And this notion that he was setting up for this year is criminal, there's no such thing as burning a year before it starts. I'm sure the Vets loved having 20M on the sideline and no CB's or WR's

cutting sanchez, cromartie, and holmes was such a stroke of genius. nobody in the nfl world saw that one coming. the real trick is to just not sign any quality players and bingo! you become a cap guru

cutting sanchez, cromartie, and holmes was such a stroke of genius. nobody in the nfl world saw that one coming. the real trick is to just not sign any quality players and bingo! you become a cap guru

exactly, lol

I have said it before.. it sucks how last season played out for us Jets.. 4 wins is as bad as its been in the Ryan era.. but i'm glad it happened because I really feel we found the long term option in Mac and Bowles... these guys will not get everything they do right but they have a plan and know to execute correctly because they KNOW FOOTBALL. I mean think about the 2009,2010,2012,2013 and 2014 drafts. Name a first round pick besides Sheldon and MO that has had the impact a first rounder should have. You cant. So it can't get much worse then it's been.

Archived