Jets re-sign David Harris (3 years, $21.5M, $15M guaranteed) [MERGED]

Morrissey

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not a fan

Got to wait to see the structure before you opine

Why the $15m guaranteed? Who the **** was going to pay Harris half of that, much less guarantee it?

Probably because the third year, and 6.5M in cash, is likely a mirage.  For example, if this was a 2 year, 12M deal, would you be upset?  Because a 9M signing bonus and 3M in salary this year and next makes that the deal (with 3M in dead money if Harris is cut year 3).  If these are 7.5M cap hits the next 2 years, I'll be pissed.  But if not, and the real downside is a livable dead money number from prorated signing bonus year 3, I'm ok with that (especially since the Jets are incentivized to pay more cash than cap the next 2 years thanks to the cap floor provisions)

Please tell me what you are basing market value on?  How do we know what market value is with the new cap figures until the market is tested and comparable players are signed.  You are speculating on that being lower than what we just agreed with Harris. 

Not hard to figure out.  Identify comparable players and then adjust for cap inflation since the date they signed their deals.

Got to wait to see the structure before you opine

Probably because the third year, and 6.5M in cash, is likely a mirage.  For example, if this was a 2 year, 12M deal, would you be upset?  Because a 9M signing bonus and 3M in salary this year and next makes that the deal (with 3M in dead money if Harris is cut year 3).  If these are 7.5M cap hits the next 2 years, I'll be pissed.  But if not, and the real downside is a livable dead money number from prorated signing bonus year 3, I'm ok with that (especially since the Jets are incentivized to pay more cash than cap the next 2 years thanks to the cap floor provisions)

Well, i was hoping he'd got to buffalo, think Harris is a liability..

That being said, the reports are 15M guaranteed.. that's the number people are wincing at and structure doesn't matter 

People gotta stop crying about the money.  NO ONE knows what the market is going to look like with actual FA starts.  Cap figures have gone up $10 million in each of the last 2 yrs and teams have been dumping salary to create even more room to spend.  Saying this was an overpay at this stage is just guess work.  If players of similar age/skill get signed for alot less Maccags will look dumb.  For now, I'm ok giving him the benefit of the doubt that Harris's value in calling the defense and in run support was worth the money to tie him up vs. letting him test the market

In my opinion we overpaid him by about 3 million a year over the life of the

contract.  But at least we have the cap space to absorb it.  With free agency

about to start I refuse to obsess over it we just picked up Marshall and

we are well positioned to improve the team

Well they must still like him a lot.  And we have the dollars to sign our own guys.  I think he is in decline but we'll see.  Getting good ilbs is not easy, has been rather poor drafts over the last few years imo.

Well things are happening fast and furious now that is for sure.

In my opinion we overpaid him by about 3 million a year over the life of the

contract. But at least we have the cap space to absorb it. With free agency

about to start I refuse to obsess over it we just picked up Marshall and

we are well positioned to improve the team

Good post.

Well, i was hoping he'd got to buffalo, think Harris is a liability..

That being said, the reports are 15M guaranteed.. that's the number people are wincing at and structure doesn't matter 

Of course it does.  If it's 15M guaranteed salary, that's the suck, because that's a 7.5M cap hit in each of the first two seasons, which is about 1-2M more than Harris is worth.

But if it's, say, 10M in signing bonus and 5M in guaranteed salary between yr 1 and yr 2, the only real downside to the guarantee is that it will be a 3.3M dead money hit (from the remaining signing bonus proration) when they cut him year 3, and we actually have him for below his worth in cap value during those two years.

I was a bit surprised at the dollar value, but I really think this is his true market value. Several teams were ready to pounce and there was going to be a bidding war for Harris believe it or not.

He's underapprexiated by fans but not by GM's and league scouts.

Also think of the enormous hole at ILB had he left.

What ILBs can cover who were also available on the free agent market? 

Draft you say? How long would it take a ILB to adjust to the NFL?

Harris knows the team and is a leader. Let him retire a Jet. We don't even know the full structure of the deal....

You know Rex cried a little after seeing this. He probably let Kiko go thinking Harris was going to be available. 

lol...silly Bills..

LL

I was a bit surprised at the dollar value, but I really think this is his true market value. Several teams were ready to pounce and there was going to be a bidding war for Harris believe it or not.

He's underapprexiated by fans but not by GM's and league scouts.

Also think of the enormous hole at ILB had he left.

Filling a hole at ILB isn't remotely like filling a hole at CB or QB or even WR, no matter how deep a draft is supposed to be.

ILB? When we employ 2 of them as it is? Draft a kid and stick him in there. Harris is too slow. If we wanted to switch around from 3 to 4 man fronts now and then, Harris can't come anywhere close to covering enough ground to use as a lone MLB.

Like the Marshall trade because he was an upgrade. This is dumb because we needed an upgrade. And where the hell did they get $15M guaranteed from? If someone else was going to pay that for Harris, then let them and keep us on the path to recouping a compensatory pick for him next season. Good Lord.

Archived