Steven A Smith: Eagles/Chip Kelly racist?

Blackout

Stephen A. Smith is too smart to come right out and call Chip Kelly a racist. Smith knows that an accusation like that would require evidence, and Smith has none.

So what Smith did on ESPN First Take today is he merely implied that Kelly is a racist, going over a selection of Kelly’s recent roster moves and then hinting that Kelly might not want black players in his locker room.

“Chip Kelly makes decisions over the last couple of years that, dare I say, leave a few brothers feeling uncomfortable,” Smith said. “I think that’s fair to say. I mean, we’re sitting here looking at some of the decisions that Chip Kelly makes and I’m like what is up? What’s up with that? I mean, it’s like you’ve got to be his kind of guy, you know? And I’m like, well, Riley Cooper’s your kind of guy?”

By mentioning Cooper, Smith was implying that Kelly is OK with the fact that Cooper used the N-word in a much-publicized video in 2013. The truth is Kelly was not OK with that; the Eagles fined Cooper and sent him home from training camp. But

Cooper’s continued presence on the team — combined with the release of a few high-profile black players — makes Smith question Kelly’s motives. According to Smith, Kelly isn’t only looking for players who fit into his system on the field. Kelly is also looking for players who fit into the culture that Kelly wants in his locker room, and Smith questions what kind of culture that is.

“Let’s get beyond the system, the operative word is ‘culture,'” Smith said. “The culture is what resonates with me more profoundly because I’m looking at a Chip Kelly and I’m like, really? Now, you’ve got to remember, where did I work for 16 years? I mean, this is Philadelphia. You understand what I’m saying? I’m always in Philly, and I’m telling you right now you’ve got people walking the streets and, hell with it, you’ve got brothers walking the streets going like ‘What’s up with Chip? I don’t understand this. I really don’t understand what you’re doing.’ Now I’m not saying I know, I’m just saying that it does strike me as a tad bit odd. I’m going to repeat this. Gone: LeSean McCoyJeremy Maclin, you know,DeSean Jackson. Staying: Riley Cooper. Really? Really? OK.”

Kelly has made dozens of personnel decisions with the Eagles, but Smith seems to see sinister motives in three of them: trading McCoy, letting Maclin walk away in free agency, and releasing Jackson. Smith, of course, failed to mention some of the white veterans Kelly has released, like James Casey and Todd Herremans, because that would undermine Smith’s thesis.

Smith also failed to mention that the player Kelly acquired in the McCoy trade,Kiko Alonso, is Latino. And Smith fails to mention that the quarterback Kelly just signed to a new contract, Mark Sanchez, is of Mexican-American heritage. And Smith fails to mention that the quarterback Kelly desperately wants to draft,Marcus Mariota, is of Samoan heritage. And Smith fails to mention that the cornerback Kelly is expected to sign when free agency opens tomorrow, Byron Maxwell, is black. And

Smith fails to mention that the running back Kelly is expected to sign when free agency opens tomorrow, Frank Gore, is black.

If Kelly is a racist who wants to build a roster full of white guys, he’s doing a spectacularly bad job of it.

But, again, Smith didn’t say Kelly is a racist. Smith knows that a serious accusation like that would require serious evidence. And Smith has none.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/09/espns-stephen-a-smith-suggests-racism-in-chip-kellys-roster-moves/

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kelly has made dozens of personnel decisions with the Eagles, but Smith seems to see sinister motives in three of them: trading McCoy, letting Maclin walk away in free agency, and releasing Jackson. Smith, of course, failed to mention some of the white veterans Kelly has released, like James Casey and Todd Herremans, because that would undermine Smith’s thesis.

Smith also failed to mention that the player Kelly acquired in the McCoy trade,Kiko Alonso, is Latino. And Smith fails to mention that the quarterback Kelly just signed to a new contract, Mark Sanchez, is of Mexican-American heritage. And Smith fails to mention that the quarterback Kelly desperately wants to draft,Marcus Mariota, is of Samoan heritage. And Smith fails to mention that the cornerback Kelly is expected to sign when free agency opens tomorrow, Byron Maxwell, is black. And

Smith fails to mention that the running back Kelly is expected to sign when free agency opens tomorrow, Frank Gore, is black.

If Kelly is a racist who wants to build a roster full of white guys, he’s doing a spectacularly bad job of it.

/end thread   what a douche

Stephen A. Smith is a fool...and it's not stupid.

Should be fired.  Things like this are entirely unfounded and wrong - causes more harm than good - there are real racist in this world when things really happen they get diluted with this type of nonsense.

what a joke. I have no idea why anyone watches ESPN. Do you really need 24 hours of nonsense sports? I get my Jets talk done here and follow twitter. That's all I need. Why are you adding to their share of voice? Ignore.

what a joke. I have no idea why anyone watches ESPN. Do you really need 24 hours of nonsense sports? I get my Jets talk done here and follow twitter. That's all I need. Why are you adding to their share of voice? Ignore.

i haven't watched ESPN for anything besides NBA/NFL/MLB games in a good 5 years now

can't believe they have no real competition yet  (although Fox and NBC are slowly rising up)

Lol, the guy has a job because of this.  There were countless reports out there today on what each team was doing in free agency, but this gets a thread here, because he made controversy out of nothing.  By talking about this idiot, and defending against him, gives him and ESPN exactly what they want.  Exposure and ratings.  

First Take is probably one of the dumbest things to hit TV in regards to sports.  It's nothing but a controversy factory based on the success of PTI, yet they needed two clowns that could actually make controversies out of nothing.  

that can't be real.

reads like something you find in TheOnion.

haha - it really does - but if you've ever listened to Stephen A. or his idiot side Skip...you know this is absultely real.

I don't watch ESPN either but do listen to Mike and Mike - they have him on once in a while - I need to stop listenting to them too.

Lol, the guy has a job because of this.  There were countless reports out there today on what each team was doing in free agency, but this gets a thread here, because he made controversy out of nothing.  By talking about this idiot, and defending against him, gives him and ESPN exactly what they want.  Exposure and ratings.  

First Take is probably one of the dumbest things to hit TV in regards to sports.  It's nothing but a controversy factory based on the success of PTI, yet they needed two clowns that could actually make controversies out of nothing.  

Yeah but I'm bored and tired of refreshing the Revis thread every three minutes...

Yeah but I'm bored and tired of refreshing the Revis thread every three minutes...

I suggest going to other boards and see people freak out even more than the people here on the moves.   Probably one of my favorite things to do this time of the year, is to go to a team board that just lost a player they were favored to get, and then see the reactions turn from "He'll be a Pro Bowl caliber guy on our team, with him we have X, Y, Z, K lineup that will be unstoppable, I can really feel the excitement" to "If he was so good, why did his team let him go?  I think the coaching staff saw something and backed out guys, and that's a lot of money for position X, when three years ago, Player 2 made x amount of money, so this is ridiculous".   

I don't really like refreshing threads to much, because if the information leaks, you are going to know anyway.  Not like knowing 2 mins earlier than everyone else really makes a difference with nothing going on right now, lol.   

/end thread   what a douche

C'mon, they are like the 80's Celtics!

Crazy how the first time I've watched ESPN since the Super Bowl I see this stupid accusation by Stephen A Smith. I mean really what a moron, are we just going to pretend like McCoy wasn't due 11 million against the cap and that philly didn't sign Frank Gore to replace him. Also, I don't think Bayless defended Smith at all, he said let's not make this about black or white. Smith tried to put Ryan Clark on the spot as well by asking that question, and Clark somewhat shied away from what Smith was trying to get him to say. It was very strange and unprofessional, dude is an clown.

ESPN has been like this for a while now. It's sad too because the 30 for 30's and Outside The Lines are pretty good sometimes. 

Oh the 30X30's are fantastic. That's b/c they are outsourced to real Film Makers! It has nothing to do with those talking heads.

Archived