Jets, Cromartie still talking despite Revis deal

jetscrazey

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on board with it.  He knows Bowles' system, and if Bowles himself wants him, go get him.  Reuniting Cro and Revis is kind of a dream come true.

Think maybe we try to convert someone into a FS if this happens?  

Nobody knows the Cro of now better than Bowles.  I have to trust his judgment on this one.

Cro at safety should never happen. He does not tackle head on. Take a look at the Cardinals playoff loss last year and he did the same thing that he did against Shonne Greene back in the day and let the runner go by and gain large chunks of yardage/score. Great press corner with deficiency, I'll take him all day, every day to cover #2 receivers.

Charles Robinson ‏@CharlesRobinson 16m16 minutes ago

The #Jets believe they are going to land cornerback Antonio Cromartie. Working out final details, but it's going to get done.

NICE!!!!

Now I'm pumped!!! This defense can be very good.  We know Fitz has done well with Gaily...If Fitz can be in the top half of the league I like our chances to be a team that can scare anyone.

NICE!!!!

Now I'm pumped!!! This defense can be very good.  We know Fitz has done well with Gaily...If Fitz can be in the top half of the league I like our chances to be a team that can scare anyone.

This defense can be more than very good, I think.  This defense could, potentially, top that #1 defense Rex had back in 2009.  Heck, if we'd had Cromartie instead of Lito Shepard in 2009, we probably reach the Super Bowl.  Now we have him and Skrine, and Milliner to go along with Revis.  Now we have quite possibly the best defensive backfield in the NFL to go along with one of the top defensive lines in the game. 

Now, if we can just score a few points.

If the Jets sign Cro is there any market for Miliner? I know he's a former first round pick and you won't come close to that, but I don't know if he's worth keeping around either if he can fetch anything. He wasn't all that good when healthy.

Not coming off the injury..at least not worth anything giving him...Would be my thought anyway.

I haven't completely given up on the kid...If he gets hurt this year again - that's another story.

Cro will be on a 1 year deal, in all likelihood.  So we shouldn't view him as a replacement for Milliner.  More like a placeholder because achilles injuries take a while to recover from, if ever.  If Milliner doesn't return to form and McDougal isn't the answer either, then they'll re-sign Cro after this year.

Even with the unknown of whether or not he could rebound from that bad season, Cromartie was a better option than anything Idzik was planning to put on the field last year, with the exception of Milliner. Cromartie should have been brought back at a reduced rate to at least compete for the #2 job with the scrubs that Idzik put out there.

Agreed. It was well known Cro was playing with an injured hip that affected him for the majority of the season. Instead we replace with someone that gets injured and doesn't play at all. At least Cro played through his injury and you could project once healed there was a good chance of a bounce back season......and at the money he was going to (and eventually get from AZ) it was a no-brainer IMO. This was my feeling at the time too, not just in retrospect.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

NICE!!!!

Now I'm pumped!!! This defense can be very good. We know Fitz has done well with Gaily...If Fitz can be in the top half of the league I like our chances to be a team that can scare anyone.

Hell yeah!!! I'm confident in our defense once again with Revis and Cro (potentially) manning down the corner spots along with the new guy we got from Cleveland......and Milliner and/or McDougal are house money!

If Fitz (or whoever ends up starting at QB for us) can rank in the top half of the league I'll love our chances of getting into the playoffs and making some noise.

Cro will be on a 1 year deal, in all likelihood.  So we shouldn't view him as a replacement for Milliner.  More like a placeholder because achilles injuries take a while to recover from, if ever.  If Milliner doesn't return to form and McDougal isn't the answer either, then they'll re-sign Cro after this year.

We can't rely on on Milliner for anything at this point. Not much of a form to return to either. He was hurt, played terribly, had a few good games, and suffered a major injury. Anything we get from him going forward is gravy. 

Yup. Really surprised NE hasn't gone after him yet.

Yeah, they already declined to keep Browner's option which I believe was around $5mil this year (which is a fair price IMO especially in this market).

If I'm NE I'd be all over trying to get both Cro and Browner in there asap. As a Jets fan I'm glad they're not, especially Cro as I want him back in green and white! Make it happen Mac!!!

Yeah, they already declined to keep Browner's option which I believe was around $5mil this year (which is a fair price IMO especially in this market).

If I'm NE I'd be all over trying to get both Cro and Browner in there asap. As a Jets fan I'm glad they're not, especially Cro as I want him back in green and white! Make it happen Mac!!!

The only thing I can figure as to why they're not chasing Cro and have let Browner go is that they've decided they have to go back to a soft (bend but don't break) zone scheme.  In which case don't think Cro or Browner are good fits for that. 

Ha, I love it!  That defense is decimated.  Losing their CBs and big Wilfork.  All AFC East matchups this season should be fun to watch.

If the Jets sign Cro is there any market for Miliner? I know he's a former first round pick and you won't come close to that, but I don't know if he's worth keeping around either if he can fetch anything. He wasn't all that good when healthy.

It costs more to cut or trade him than keep him I believe.  In his rookie year, his first 7 games he had good coverage metrics, but his coverage grade was poor, but then completely rebounded the second half of the season to have a combined positive grade in coverage.  He also registered positive grade against the run over the entire season.  Despite what this board wants to believe, the kid has a boatload of talent and if healthy, he will challenge to be the #2 CB without a doubt.  There's a couple podcasts on PFF breaking down his rookie season and moving forward and as a Jets' fan, we should pray the kid gets healthy, because that would give us the best CB in football and a true #1 opposite him. 

As for Cro, he had a great few games to begin last season, but then once again, his play fell off the cliff. He didn't have this miraculous season everyone thinks he had in Arizona, he had a pretty poor second half.  The best scenario for the Jets is for Milliner to come back healthy and play opposite Revis, because he'd instantly be the second most talented CB on the roster. 

It costs more to cut or trade him than keep him I believe.  In his rookie year, his first 7 games he had good coverage metrics, but his coverage grade was poor, but then completely rebounded the second half of the season to have a combined positive grade in coverage.  He also registered positive grade against the run over the entire season.  Despite what this board wants to believe, the kid has a boatload of talent and if healthy, he will challenge to be the #2 CB without a doubt.  There's a couple podcasts on PFF breaking down his rookie season and moving forward and as a Jets' fan, we should pray the kid gets healthy, because that would give us the best CB in football and a true #1 opposite him. 

As for Cro, he had a great few games to begin last season, but then once again, his play fell off the cliff. He didn't have this miraculous season everyone thinks he had in Arizona, he had a pretty poor second half.  The best scenario for the Jets is for Milliner to come back healthy and play opposite Revis, because he'd instantly be the second most talented CB on the roster. 

Gotta think there's no one better to judge Cro's last season performance and how he'll perform in Bowels' system than Bowels himself.  The fact that the Jets are going after him leads me to believe Bowels is confident Cro could be the #2.

With that said, I agree completely with you that if the dude can stay healthy, Milliner does have solid #1 potential.

The only thing I can figure as to why they're not chasing Cro and have let Browner go is that they've decided they have to go back to a soft (bend but don't break) zone scheme. In which case don't think Cro or Browner are good fits for that.

Ha, I love it! That defense is decimated. Losing their CBs and big Wilfork. All AFC East matchups this season should be fun to watch.

Ah that makes sense. Lol back to soft as baby shlt coverages for the Pats secondary......and I agree all AFC East match ups will be fun to watch.

New England went from having one of the better overall defenses in the NFL to possibly being the weakest defense in the division alone this coming year. Still have a way to go with free agency and the draft, but Buffalo and Miami look to be putting together/retaining very physical defensive units, and with our upgrades in the secondary and Bowles aggressive play calling and style I expect big things from that side of the ball in 2015.

We can't rely on on Milliner for anything at this point. Not much of a form to return to either. He was hurt, played terribly, had a few good games, and suffered a major injury. Anything we get from him going forward is gravy. 

He was a first round pick for a reason.  He was a rookie, went through rookie growing pains, and then played very well by the final stretch of the season when you want rookie players to ascend.  Last year was a wash because he was hurt in camp, was never fully  healthy when he did come back, and then got hurt again.  None of this changes his potential and the fact that he does have #1/#2 CB ability and has displayed that.

Once and if healthy, there is no reason Milliner should not be a big part of the plan.

Once we signed Revis, Cro's market changed for the Jets as it should have.

I don't even think we should be trying to re-sign him, lock up Gilchrist because of the hybrid role he will play in the secondary, the Jest have not only Milliner, but also McDougle who also has some good ability.  Without Cro, the Jets CB position is stacked.

You're in med school, correct?

If so do you know anything about the recovery prospects for a superior athlete who suffers an achilles injury?  Have there been big advances in recovery time and ability to get back to near 100% like there have been with ACL's?

He was a first round pick for a reason.  He was a rookie, went through rookie growing pains, and then played very well by the final stretch of the season when you want rookie players to ascend.  Last year was a wash because he was hurt in camp, was never fully  healthy when he did come back, and then got hurt again.  None of this changes his potential and the fact that he does have #1/#2 CB ability and has displayed that.

Once and if healthy, there is no reason Milliner should not be a big part of the plan.

I don't even think we should be trying to re-sign him, lock up Gilchrist because of the hybrid role he will play in the secondary, the Jest have not only Milliner, but also McDougle who also has some good ability.  Without Cro, the Jets CB position is stacked.

You can't bank on potential and on someone that is always hurt. When you do, you end up in last season's situation and boy did we get burned.

Cimini just tweeted that Revis is lobbying Cro to rejoin the old batman and robin tandem. The feeling is that Cro will sign by tomorrow.

Sounds good.....it's going to be nice to see the secondary return to a position of strength.....and this time they have a very, very good DLine to compliment their play.

You can't bank on potential and on someone that is always hurt. When you do, you end up in last season's situation and boy did we get burned.

By signing Revis, and then Skrine, they are doing exactly that.

Milliner was hurt for the first time as a Jet last year, the ankle injury never healed, probably came back too soon, wasn't in football shape, and then the achillies...

I wanted Cro more than Revis.  Yes Revis is better but Cro genuinely wants to be here.  He matured when he came here. 

With Milliner and McDougle's injury issues we cannot count on them or at least not yet.  Both had serious injuries and this may be the year they both need to rehab a bit and cannot be every down CBs.

Millner sucks. Overrated Bama hot garbage.

You're in med school, correct?

If so do you know anything about the recovery prospects for a superior athlete who suffers an achilles injury?  Have there been big advances in recovery time and ability to get back to near 100% like there have been with ACL's?

I am, but I'm by no means an orthopedic surgeon, so take it all with a large grain of salt. I'd usually like to hang my hat on more actual studies, but the best that I have is some decent papers (not a ton of published stuff to date) and anecdotal evidence. The latter is what Dom has been saying for a while: Leon Hall returned from tearing his left achilles in 2011 to play 14 games in 2012 (not sure his grade), he subsequently tore his opposite achilles the following year in 2013 and return to play 15 games that very next season. If I recall correctly, Hall played pretty well both seasons he returned, but I suppose PFF or someone else knows the specifics better.  

From a surgical standpoint, there's much more research going into orthopedic injuries the last decade, which is a direct result of the drastic increases we're seeing in those types of injuries.  This can largely be attributed to the aging generation of men and women who are remaining as active as 20 year olds, despite their bodies having 60 or 70+ on em.  There was a paper published a couple of years ago out of Drexel I believe, which talked about the PER and Achilles injuries in basketball players, but it doesn't correlate too well. It seemed that the athletic stats remained static, but it was more of a usage issue and lack of FG%, which can be attributed to many things besides athleticism. Additionally, the players were on average 6-7 years older than Milliner, so that also plays a part.  If I'm to be completely objective, I see no reason why we shouldn't expect Dee to reach his pre-injury form within a year's time.  

Dee Milliner apologists are the new Vernon Gholston apologists.  Bet we even have a few of those still hanging around here.

Except Gholston never progressed, dude was just a bad football player. The second half of Dee's rookie season he posted net positive grades in overall performance, coverage and against the run, which is an upward trend.  

Archived