missing out on a franchise QB

kmnj

been a fan for a long long time-remember being at the draft live to see the Jets pass on Marino, just missing out on farve, peyton deciding to say in college one more year-if we have the chance at chips fav qb at 6 I think we have to pull the trigger-I watched his bowl game was not really impressed but his other body of work and his skillset seem like it is worth the risk

Draft him and let him sit out the year behind fitz

Teams don't draft a QB at 6 and let him sit for the season. If Mariota is a Jet he will 100% start from game 1 and the Jets will live and die with his growing pains.

I wouldn't hate it if Mariota was the pick but I think that the best action to take is to not pick him.

Teams don't draft a QB at 6 and let him sit for the season. If Mariota is a Jet he will 100% start from game 1 and the Jets will live and die with his growing pains.

I wouldn't hate it if Mariota was the pick but I think that the best action to take is to not pick him.

Maybe they should?

I think if we take him you let him compete.   If he does a Russell Wilson you play him.  If  not you let Fitz start the year and see how  things workout. 

I really, really hope someone else takes both Winston and Mariota in the top 5.  Then we won't even have anything to complain about (other than Rex winning meaningless games late in the season last year).  Take a quality player at 6 or trade down, scoop up a mid-round QB.

Don't really care for MM.  He is highly impressive on the college level but I've seen too many impressive college level players who have no experience in a pro style offense be less than average.  I'd rather sit back and draft a developmental QB in the later rounds.  

I'm not so sure about this.  If he's as unpolished to the pro game like many have insisted, it would serve him well to ride the bench for at least a little while, if not the whole first year.  It would be a tough sell though to have the 6th pick not contribute much if at all in year one, but that might be the best move.  Time will tell....

I honestly think we are going to #2 and get him. The rest of tbe QBs in this draft dont have a ceili g any where near what Mariota's is. Kelly said last season that he thinks Mariota will be good enough to win multiple SBs.

Its now or never for this front office. If we are picking this high again anytime soon, they are probably fired. Plus, Conner Cook will most likely be a top 3 pick next year.

This is the one shot they have. They have put together a pretty decent team around the QB, we have the right offensive coaching staff in place.

We take him and let Fitz/Geno play with the chance to bring Mariota in late in the season like the Niners did Kaep.

Today I seen someone put Mariota in the same sentence as Peyton Manning, Brett Favre and Dan Marino.

All he need is a spygating HC and he'll have more rings than all three of those combined.

agreed, if he's there, we cannot pass at 6. unless Chip comes calling with a boatload for us, then we roll with the picks and Geno/Fitz. but this kid looks like he can play at the next level and he doesnt have the off-field baggage that Jameis does. 

goood read here http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/52722/349/2015s-quarterback-conundrum

Keep picking QBs until we find our gem! If he's there at 6 pick his azz & let him sit. Best case, Geno surprises the hell out of everybody & the light switch goes on under Gailey & we deal him to another team starved for a QB.

agreed, if he's there, we cannot pass at 6. unless Chip comes calling with a boatload for us, then we roll with the picks and Geno/Fitz. but this kid looks like he can play at the next level and he doesnt have the off-field baggage that Jameis does.

Been saying this for 2 months. The Jets absolutely have only two options if MM is available at 6. Draft him or trade down.

Passing on him is not an option. If it were me, I choose to take him. STL traded down with Washington for a King's Ransome, but honestly, how much better are they? Without a franchise QB, the ceiling for a team is severely limited unless you have a great defense and the floor without a real QB is annual cellar dwelling.

How about our #1 for Kaepernick. That would be the "all in" move. Ideally we could trade down and then send our (lower) #1 for Kaepernick and still have plenty of picks.

A different approach would be to trade down w Philly for future picks and send all the extra picks to someone next year for Connor Cook. Philly might stink anyway so next year's #1 and #2 might be high picks.

How about our #1 for Kaepernick. That would be the "all in" move. Ideally we could trade down and then send our (lower) #1 for Kaepernick and still have plenty of picks.

A different approach would be to trade down w Philly for future picks and send all the extra picks to someone next year for Connor Cook. Philly might stink anyway so next year's #1 and #2 might be high picks.

Keep our #1 and trade #2 this year and next.

no, imo if we do draft mariots he should sit and we only bring him in if smith and fitz bomb. otherwise he sits and learns the nfl game

Today I seen someone put Mariota in the same sentence as Peyton Manning, Brett Favre and Dan Marino.

He is not that by far. Watching him for three years he has gotten better every year. He is a better version of Colin Kaerpernick. He is way more accurate than Colin where Colin has better arm. They both are great in their scrambling ability but Colin last year tried not to do this and made way too many bad decisions trying to force. I don't see Mariota making those mistakes and him running for a first down I compare him to Luck or Wilson. Marcus will go number 2 in this draft either to Tennessee or a trade to New Orleans for Drew Brees and multiple picks.

Archived