2015 JN Mock Draft V.1 DISCUSSION Thread

T0mShane

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the 2nd pick of the 2nd round the Yucs take Laken Tomlinson Guard Duke

Mankins, Collins, Schreff, Tomlinson, .... Online went from a disaster to a major strength. Anyone think Glennon may look a bit better behind a a line that actually blocks? I read somewhere that even an average QB can excel if given time to go through his progressions.

But picking Winston and putting him out there behind that same garbage line from last year was the smart move... Right?

speechless mon

I know, I know... Building an o line isn't sexy, but if you belive in Glennon, which I happen to, it's good to spend picks on safe long term players. But, I know... Taking guys like Green-Beckham and Dorsett like a whole round earlier than they are projected is more fun.

I know, I know... Building an o line isn't sexy, but if you belive in Glennon, which I happen to, it's good to spend picks on safe long term players. But, I know... Taking guys like Green-Beckham and Dorsett like a whole round earlier than they are projected is more fun.

Nothing wrong with building the OL, but Lovie clearly hates Glennon.

With the 2nd pick of the 2nd round the Yucs take Laken Tomlinson Guard Duke

Mankins, Collins, Schreff, Tomlinson, .... Online went from a disaster to a major strength. Anyone think Glennon may look a bit better behind a a line that actually blocks? I read somewhere that even an average QB can excel if given time to go through his progressions.

But picking Winston and putting him out there behind that same garbage line from last year was the smart move... Right?

IF I had the Bucs I would sure up that offensive line as well.

It would be hard to pass on Winston, I personally think he's legit, but if they do then they need to rack up on picks for their first rounder and get two OT's and at least 1 OG before touching any other position. I would trade with Cleveland for their 2 first round picks, their 2nd and a couple picks next year. 

Either way I think that the Bucs will be happy. I think Winston will be a top 10 QB in this league within 3 years and top 5 before he's done, however that wont be the case if they dont begin getting quality offensive linemen. If they stick with Glennon I believe he can be a top 12-15 QB with a solid line this year. The Bucs aren't as far away from turning it around offensively, they just have to make the right moves. 

My fellow Cornhusker fans will hate me but I selected Duke Johnson for the Jets instead of Ameer Abdullah. Duke is a perfect piece for Gailey's offense and a good partner for Ivory. Passed some receivers like Devin Smith who could have been useful as a deep threat for us but he could be just a one trick pony. That's why Denarius was in the building yesterday.

My fellow Cornhusker fans will hate me but I selected Duke Johnson for the Jets instead of Ameer Abdullah. Duke is a perfect piece for Gailey's offense and a good partner for Ivory. Passed some receivers like Devin Smith who could have been useful as a deep threat for us but he could be just a one trick pony. That's why Denarius was in the building yesterday.

Obviously love Duke. Also had the pleasure of watching Abdulah torch us this year. Duke might be the best RB to ever come out of Miami.. but his size concerns me. I think I'd have gone with Ameer in this spot.

Duke is a good pick if RB was a need. I'd rather have OL at that spot.

I would not touch Abdullah in the 2nd.  He has a history of fumbling in college -- we have turned the ball over way too much in the past few years to add a guy who fumbles.  Duke is a solid pick -- I am not thrilled with the offensive linemen who are on the board right now.  WR could have been an option as well.

Duke is a good pick if RB was a need. I'd rather have OL at that spot.

Thought about Fisher from Oregon but I wanted Duke or Ameer and they wont be around in the 3rd.  I wanted a dynamic player on offense and Duke will be lovely in this system.  Powell is on a 1 year deal so I wanted to ensure we got someone good in the draft.  I can draft a lineman later if a good player presents themselves.

I would not touch Abdullah in the 2nd.  He has a history of fumbling in college -- we have turned the ball over way too much in the past few years to add a guy who fumbles.  Duke is a solid pick -- I am not thrilled with the offensive linemen who are on the board right now.  WR could have been an option as well.

True but Ameer for the last 3 years touched the ball more than any other player in the NCAA.  The more dishes you clean the more you break, lol  His fumble totals went down each year and I think that trend will continue as he wont have no where near the workload and touches in the NFL that he did at Nebraska.  

Any thoughts on my Jordan Phillips pick to the Bears.  Vic Fangio -- their new DC is thought of as a 3-4 guy but he also runs a lot of 4 man fronts.  I think Phillips is athletic enough to play in multiple spots -- I like his flexibility for the Bears and DL is a need since they lost Stephen Paea to free agency.  I know he is an injury risk -- having missed the 2013 season with a back injury, but he was healthy in 2014. 

Was thinking about Eric Kendricks instead.

Any comments???

True but Ameer for the last 3 years touched the ball more than any other player in the NCAA.  The more dishes you clean the more you break, lol  His fumble totals went down each year and I think that trend will continue as he wont have no where near the workload and touches in the NFL that he did at Nebraska.  

You may be right.  After all of the Jets turnovers for the last few years, I want to make sure that we have an offense with guys who can take care of the ball.  Both Geno and Fitz have had trouble doing that throughout their careers.  With the defense that we should be able to play next season, we should be in most every game as long as we can take care of the ball on the other side.  RB that I really like is the other D Johnson -- David Johnson from Northern Iowa-- possibly in the 3rd or 4th.

Any thoughts on my Jordan Phillips pick to the Bears.  Vic Fangio -- their new DC is thought of as a 3-4 guy but he also runs a lot of 4 man fronts.  I think Phillips is athletic enough to play in multiple spots -- I like his flexibility for the Bears and DL is a need since they lost Stephen Paea to free agency.  I know he is an injury risk -- having missed the 2013 season with a back injury, but he was healthy in 2014. 

Was thinking about Eric Kendricks instead.

Any comments???

Back injuries for a lineman are tough to trust.  He definitely has the talent to succeed and the flexibility he has is a plus but he needs to be worked on.  I think it's a good pick for the Bears.  Michael Bennett from Ohio State could have been the choice too.

Players Taken: through pick 39 in Round 2

QB: Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota 

RB: Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon, Duke Johnson

WR: Kevin White, Amari Cooper, LeVante Parker, Jaelen Strong, Dorial Green-Beckham, Phillip Dorsett,
TE: Jesse James

OL: Brandon Scherff, La'el Collins, Cam Erving, Andrus Peat, Ereck Flowers, DJ Humphries, TJ Clemmings, Laken Tomlinson, AJ Cann
DL: Leonard Williams, Shane Ray, Danny Shelton, Malcolm Brown, Arik Armstead, Eddie Goldman, Owamagbe Odighizuwa, Jordan Phillips 
LB: Randy Gregory, Vic Beasley, Dante Fowler Jr., Bud Dupree, Shaq Thompson, 

DB: Tray Waynes, Jalen Collins, Landon Collins, Marcus Peters, PJ Williams

Duke Johnson is not worth the 38th pick in the draft.... that's a homer pick and half prime. Telvin Coleman will circles around him - that's what a top of the 2nd RB looks like.... theres zero chance he goes before Coleman and Ayajaialia

Phillips is great value for the Bears there. 

Duke Johnson is not worth the 38th pick in the draft.... that's a homer pick and half prime. Telvin Coleman will circles around him - that's what a top of the 2nd RB looks like.... theres zero chance he goes before Coleman and Ayajaialia

Yeah, I considered taking Phillips with my pick in R1.

He will be an OLB. They have a strong need for a game changing pass rusher there.

Collins and Hightower are fine when the pats do want to pressure useing backers, and the pats don't blitz much at all.  The pick does not fit a need.

He would be great for the Jets too but i think Duke is a better fit for the Jets.  He's more elusive and better in soace.  Coleman is explosive but is a north and south runner and we already have two of those on the roster.

He would be great for the Jets too but i think Duke is a better fit for the Jets.  He's more elusive and better in soace.  Coleman is explosive but is a north and south runner and we already have two of those on the roster.

For whatever reason, Duke's stock is sky high with Jets fans... he's not that special IMO... above average change of pace back... a lesser J. Best... I don't burn a pick inside the top 40 on that guy. No chance. David johnson is better at the things that you draft a guy like Duke for, and you can get him a whole round later. 

For whatever reason, Duke's stock is sky high with Jets fans... he's not that special IMO... above average change of pace back... a lesser J. Best... I don't burn a pick inside the top 40 on that guy. No chance. David johnson is better at the things that you draft a guy like Duke for, and you can get him a whole round later.

Duke's a game changer. Great compliment to Ivory and Powell. He's not a bell cow guy, I agree but he's got special in him, no doubt.

Early 2nd round? Maybe not but he's a solid prospect who will make someone happy.

Duke's a game changer. Great compliment to Ivory and Powell. He's not a bell cow guy, I agree but he's got special in him, no doubt.

Early 2nd round? Maybe not but he's a solid prospect who will make someone happy.

That's just it, whether or not you think he's special, spending a top 40 pick on a role player is not smart.  I don't know where you get game changer from, i mean if he was, i'm pretty sure he'd talked as more than a consensus late 2nd, or 3rd round guy. He's a poor man's reggie bush. He'll break a 60 yarder off for the score once every 4 games in NFL, but does that win you the game in Foxborrow when you need it? Can you count on that happening when you need it the most?

Good work, gang. Pretty sound first round after some early hiccups. 

Anyone have any suggestions to make it run smoother? RobR PMed me some tips, such as cutting the time down to 3 hours max between picks, and some other stuff. I believe DCat said he was going to pull together a position-by-position ranking so we can cross off players as they're chosen. If he gets to that, cool. If not, I'll pull something together tomorrow afternoon.

Working on it now.  Should have it for us by mid afternoon.  Had no time yesterday and thought I could get it done by morning.  Sit tight.  It's a coming

That's just it, whether or not you think he's special, spending a top 40 pick on a role player is not smart.  I don't know where you get game changer from, i mean if he was, i'm pretty sure he'd talked as more than a consensus late 2nd, or 3rd round guy. He's a poor man's reggie bush. He'll break a 60 yarder off for the score once every 4 games in NFL, but does that win you the game in Foxborrow when you need it? Can you count on that happening when you need it the most?

So if he stays healthy then he will have four 60 yard td's in a season and not even be the primary back?   I'll take that in addition to some other scores under 60.

Duke will be selected in the 2nd round of this year's draft.  Iv'e read on multiple sites where he is closely compared to McCcoy and the Jets need that more than a north south runner like Coleman.  We are picking players based on what are team needs and Duke's play-making ability is what the Jets need more than Coleman's.  

I'm not trying to debate with you that that Coleman cannot be the pick. If the Jets selected him I would be fine with it but IMO Duke is the better fit.  I know over the years when I watched the Saints, Lions and Eagles play I always wished we had a Bush/Sproles type player on our squad.  These guys can change the game in an instant like with a 60 yard run you referenced.  If he ends up being like McCoy then that's even better. .

With the exception of a QB, this team is in need of a pass rusher which I addressed in the first round and and a running back. In a two back system as most teams utilize now, we will have a dynamic duo of power and speed.  This will help Geno/Fitz tremendously.

Coincidentally - Draftek.com has the Jets selecting Duke in round 3.

http://www.drafttek.com/2015-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round3.asp

Archived