TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Loved the HOTD finale, definitely better than the previous episode.

The tension in the build to the dragon fight was straight out of a horror film - The second you seen Vhagar parked outside you know sh*t was gonna go down and you could feel Luke's fear.  I like the contrast between Rhaenyra's impromptu coronation vs Aegon's overly performative one. They've set up the war well and I look forward to seeing all the different players getting involved next season. Opening episode will probably feature Winterfell!

On the whole the series was much better than I expected, dragged down by some weird creative choices to end episodes dramatically. 

Thought the finale was fantastic as well.   I actually liked the previous episode as well.  

On 10/22/2022 at 10:23 AM, munchmemory said:

After a bunch of glowing reviews/recoomedations, we are three episodes into Apple+'s Bad Sisters.  So far, I don't really get all the allure and effusive praise.  It's an okay series.   Nothing all that special about it (although JP is one of the most despicable pricks ever).   A tad silly and trite in spots.  I'm hoping the story gets better and more interesting.

WTF did I do this time?

• Haha 2

Has anyone tried The Peripheral yet?

Wife and I liked the pilot.  No idea why.  Don't raise your expectations...  we are going to give it a shot.

edit: and Chloe Grace Moretz is the spitting image of my first g/f (back in the 70's) in a serious relationship.  mouth, pointy nose, eyes, this particular hairstyle... it's uncanny and probably a reason for me continuing with the show.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Wife and I liked the pilot.  No idea why.  Don't raise your expectations...  we are going to give it a shot.

edit: and Chloe Grace Moretz is the spitting image of my first g/f (back in the 70's) in a serious relationship.  mouth, pointy nose, eyes, this particular hairstyle... it's uncanny and probably a reason for me continuing with the show.  

It's on our list, too.   The ads and trailer look cool.  

Loved Moretz in Hugo.   She grew up gorgeous.  Props for having a relationship with someone with her looks.

HotD was awesome. Extremely refreshing. Didn't want anything to do with the GoT universe after the final few episodes of the original series, but HotD pulled me way back in. Maybe I'm misremembering or allowing my previous distaste to cloud my memory, but I can't remember GoT ever being as good as season 1 was. Maybe a few episodes here or there, but as a full season, I think HotD tops the others.

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

HotD was awesome. Extremely refreshing. Didn't want anything to do with the GoT universe after the final few episodes of the original series, but HotD pulled me way back in. Maybe I'm misremembering or allowing my previous distaste to cloud my memory, but I can't remember GoT ever being as good as season 1 was. Maybe a few episodes here or there, but as a full season, I think HotD tops the others.

Maybe it's because I read most of the books before the show, but I have to completely disagree.  

Storm of Swords (part 3) is probably my favorite fantasy novel of all time. 

Season 1-3 of GoT was better than HoD. 

* I didn't watch the last few seasons of GoT once they passed the books.

• Upvote 1

On 10/25/2022 at 12:25 PM, Dcat said:

Watched the first episode Friday night.  Honestly, I wanted to turn it off.  Found it confusing and just not that good.  Not sure if I will go back for a second helping.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing not many of you are into anime here. I used to watch a lot in my teens and early 20s but not so much anymore. That said I've been watching Bleach The Thousand Year Blood War and Chainsaw Man lately with my friend and both have been pretty good. I probably wouldn't recommend Bleach unless you're someone who's already watched other seasons or at least a movie or something. Chainsaw Man is pretty good though and it's new so if you're someone who watches anime or maybe used to consider checking it out.

• Upvote 1

Having read the iconic Catch 22 when I was 12 and then having seen the 1970 Mike Nichols film, I have no idea why I never watched Clooney's Hulu miniseries (6 episodes) when it came out a couple of years ago.

Watched Episodes 1 & 2 last night.  Absolutely love Christopher Abbot's Yossarian and all the other acting.  Abbot's take is a bit more tragic than was Arkin's...  And Abbot's Yo Yo is more destructive to others than Arkins (you will see what I mean in the first episode).  So far, this is outstanding and a great adaptation (better than Nichol's notwithstanding that phenomenal cast).   Of course, Clooney preserved the most classic scenes and all the characters like major Major Major and Milo.

and here's the same scene from 1970 for reference (the Nichols version of this scene wins.  Arkin is just so great.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fv_SA8f2ls&ab_channel=NguyenNauHoang

• Upvote 1

Contains spoilers (kind of) for Walking Dead, but then again I have a feeling no one will care. 

Out of morbid curiosity, I continued to watch the Walking Dead.  The bar was not high for the series finale, but I had a bar.  It was knocked off in the first few minutes.  I was watching one of the previous episodes.  I thought who was the last major character to die?  It had been about 4 years.  First few minutes, a majorish character dies.  Then it devolved into doing the things had done in previous seasons.  Do the most predictable things possible.

All I can say it is over.  It was good entertainment, but the interesting were driven off and the cast of main characters grew to big and less interesting.

• Upvote 1

On 10/25/2022 at 12:25 PM, Dcat said:

I’m going to have to watch it again. It’s a little confusing to watch after waiting a week. I did some extras work on this show and man, they spent some seeeeeerious bread making it.

• Upvote 1