Brandon Marshall Re-Structures Contract

JetNation

Yeah. He's obviously disturbed. Best to ignore, but sometimes I can't resist. Especially when he distorts like "Marshall is injury prone". How utterly ridiculous. Have no idea why he always has a contrarian agenda. As I said... he's disturbed.

He's injury riddled. Too old, he's breaking down. He wasnt worth a 5, that was a bad deal by Mac and if you liked it you're a blind follower of a GM who did a mediocre job. He's only getting credit because he's not Idzik. Oh and taking Marshall from 24.3 mil to UP TO 26 mil is more than 1.7 additional. And of course a dumb move.

How can you not resist. He's too easy

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's injury riddled. Too old, he's breaking down. He wasnt worth a 5, that was a bad deal by Mac and if you liked it you're a blind follower of a GM who did a mediocre job. He's only getting credit because he's not Idzik. Oh and taking Marshall from 24.3 mil to UP TO 26 mil is more than 1.7 additional. And of course a dumb move.

How can you not resist. He's too easy

I guess it is easy... but he pissed me off in another thread today.  In a good natured thread wishing Joe Namath a happy birthday, he chimed in with some unwarranted nasty comments.  Who the hell does that?  If one doesn't appreciate or like Namath, then fine.  Either start a separate thread about it or keep your mouth shut, but a normal person doesn't piss all over a Happy Birthday thread.   This Denver dude has some very serious psychological issues.

This is why its impossible to take you seriously.

It is humorous that you think i care. If you think everyone is overpaid maybe the problem is your evaluation criteria. Again a player that is 10 percent better is worth a lot more than 10 percent more because there is not a linear relationship there between skill and quantity. It is an asymptote approaching zero with quantity on Y axis, and skill level on X. To obtain incremental additions of skills you have to pay a hefty premium. In addition, there is a high degree of inelasticity because the money has no value from a football context if not spent.

I guess it is easy... but he pissed me off in another thread today. In a good natured thread wishing Joe Namath a happy birthday, he chimed in with some unwarranted nasty comments. Who the hell does that? If one doesn't appreciate or like Namath, then fine. Either start a separate thread about it or keep your mouth shut, but a normal person doesn't piss all over a Happy Birthday thread. This Denver dude has some very serious psychological issues.

hes just a whiney SOJF, looks for something to complain about, argue about no matter the topic. Then won't just end it, keeps going off on tangents.

Find a thread he's in and he's doing the same thing every time, b1tching about the team, a player or FO person. Some people just enjoy being miserable. He's the poster boy.

It is humorous that you think i care. If you think everyone is overpaid maybe the problem is your evaluation criteria. Again a player that is 10 percent better is worth a lot more than 10 percent more because there is not a linear relationship there between skill and quantity. It is an asymptote approaching zero with quantity on Y axis, and skill level on X. To obtain incremental additions of skills you have to pay a hefty premium. In addition, there is a high degree of inelasticity because the money has no value from a football context if not spent.

It is humorous to me too that you i think i care.

You missed the entire point. Broken ribs and a punctured lung do not warrant an "injury prone" label as some in this thread are trying to do. It was a freak injury. Other than that, he has had the occasional ankle and hamstring during his career with very few missed games. You think Marshall is "injury prone"? Then you certainly need to review his injury history and see how few games he has missed.

As for the severity of the freak injury and your dumb comparison to Romo, Marshall had to be hospitalized because he couldn't breathe. Romo's rib/lung in 2011 was nowhere near as severe. Bad comparison. Drew Bledsoe was hospitalized and had to have surgery when Mo Lewis broke his ribs and punctured his lung.

My bad. I got the impression you were trying to call Marshall a washed up WR who just suffered a serious injury. It really wasn't as serious. N he's missed 5 games prior to that injury over 8 years. Hardly anything to worry about. We've got some dumb posters claiming him injury prone. They don't know football.

If you think Mo takes off half the plays and to not see it makes someone a homer you may need to get a pair of glasses. There isn't a chance in hell that anyone sees what you are claiming to see.

I'll never get so called fans who kill their own players, even the ones who are recognized as leaders at their positions

Half the plays is an exaggeration of course. But easily more than a 4th. Don't believe me? Watch any of the games. When he gets matched up against a guy he can't beat, he'll do it much more often than not.

I'm more homer than you think. But when a player wants to get paid elite money, he better be elite, not just good.

I guess it is easy... but he pissed me off in another thread today. In a good natured thread wishing Joe Namath a happy birthday, he chimed in with some unwarranted nasty comments. Who the hell does that? If one doesn't appreciate or like Namath, then fine. Either start a separate thread about it or keep your mouth shut, but a normal person doesn't piss all over a Happy Birthday thread. This Denver dude has some very serious psychological issues.

Dude, he's just 16. I'm not kidding. Relax.

No big deal a few extra mill seems like necessary step to get him here rather then somewhere else (#TheGenoFactor)

Always best to keep theses Diva WR happy even if it's for the short term

Agree. We are talking about a couple mil here and apparently it was a negotiated commitment that helped us fill a skill position with a major talent. Would people be happier if we did not sign him and saved a couple of million?

I understand where you're coming from, but really the present roster says Wilkerson is now a luxurious want rather than any real need (unless multiple others get injured and/or Williams somehow becomes a bust). They can't all be on the field at the same time every down as it is.

Wilkerson is an outstanding player, but he's got the fewest years remaining locked up - one - and is arguably the 4th most talented end on the team (though actual production certainly nudges him ahead of Coples, he's also less versatile than Q).

The only way we're not playing it right with Mo is perhaps our asking price for him (a pair of 1sts) was too steep to get any serious interest.

I feel for him in that it looks like he's going to risk career ending injury again without the mega deal he'd instantly get as a FA, but the numbers just worked out that way on the Jets after drafting 3 more players in the top half of round 1 that all play (or can play) his position.

Teams will not offer multiple draft picks for a player who will become a free agent in 9 months. Other GMs know for a fact Wilk is a goner.

Why extend Wilk now if they aren't comfortable with the amount that he wants? That makes no sense.

The Jets have leverage with Wilk. I believe they will get the contract done, but they can't just get it done if they aren't happy with the numbers.

Everyone mentions how Wilk wants "Watt Money." I haven't read anything along those lines. You don't think Wilk is worth 10-12 million per year?

Everyone mentions how Wilk wants "Watt Money." I haven't read anything along those lines. You don't think Wilk is worth 10-12 million per year?

The Franchise tag for defensive ends is almost 15 million per year.

If Wilk would accept anything close to 10 million per year, they would already have a deal done.

Not really. Not the way this team is currently constructed. He's a luxury piece and seems highly replaceable, see the draft this season. I think Mo is a very solid player, but also overrated by a lot of people here. He's a rich man's Shaun Ellis.

The Franchise tag for defensive ends is almost 15 million per year.

If Wilk would accept anything close to 10 million per year, they would already have a deal done.

Maybe 10 is a little cheap. I would offer him a deal around 5 years - 65 Million with 30 guaranteed. Unfortunately, Rich is going to want twice as much in a couple years.

Not really. Not the way this team is currently constructed. He's a luxury piece and seems highly replaceable, see the draft this season. I think Mo is a very solid player, but also overrated by a lot of people here. He's a rich man's Shaun Ellis.

Funny, because I think he's underrated on this board. He's not Quinn or Watt but he does stuff on the field that doesn't show up on the stat sheet.

Marshall was on a below market value deal when compared to guys like Mike Wallace, Randall Cobb, Jeremy Maclin, etc (all make more per year than Marshall). Giving him a couple million more to make him happy after agreeing to do so pre-trade is not a big deal and it makes sense. What Marshall can/will bring to this team is well worth his salary.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

What can you say about a poster who you have reduced to just a petty name caller. You are just not worth it anymore.

Says the guy who passive-aggressively trolls every thread and hates on the best player in franchise history.

You consistently pull the "I didn't attack you, you have the problem" routine when all you do is insert negativity and cynicism into every post you make. Don't act surprised when people call you out for it.

Jmo The Jets have two options sign him before the season , or trade him before the season. The Jets can't afford to let this contract situation fester much longer. Here is what I mean . M Wilkerson is going to be unrestricted Fa in 2016(Jets have the option of franchise tag).

Your Muhammad Wilkerson without a long term contract ( protection for your family) what incentive is it to go out there and risk getting injured and missing your big payday. What's the chance the Jets put the franchise tag on a player( about 14 million) when they have a cheaper option( Williams) , and that guy has missed games due to wink wink injury.( protecting himself from losing that big payday). Also if this contract situation isn't resolved you can expect him to sit out most of training camp. When a player misses most of training camp , the chances of getting injured increases .

The Jets have to decide what they want to do with Wilkerson . it's sign him before the season ,or trade him before the season. Outside of a major injury, once the season starts the price tag to acquire Wilkerson goes down.( last year of contract).

Why can't they trade him before next season?  A 2016 draft pick is not adding anything to the 2015 New York Jets.  They traded Revis and Abraham for first round picks when they needed to sign new contracts.  Wilkerson will have plenty of incentive to crush people since it is his contract year.  He isn't likely to sleepwalk through it.

LOL ok who would you put above Mo? I'd say he's tied with Suh and better than everyone else in the division.

If a season was only 8 games long Mo Wilk would be in the echelon you say he is.  He has faltered badly the 2nd half of the last two years.  Partly do to injury last year but the year before he was doing the pro bowl hula dance half way through the year then had a sack and a half the rest of the way or something along those lines.  He's very good with the chance to be dominant but he has to play his ass off for a full year.

The good news is we now have a coach that I think will keep on players to perform at a high level instead of praising them up 24 hours a day.

Says the guy who passive-aggressively trolls every thread and hates on the best player in franchise history.

You consistently pull the "I didn't attack you, you have the problem" routine when all you do is insert negativity and cynicism into every post you make. Don't act surprised when people call you out for it.

Ahhh..here come the guy who's opening gambit is a personal attack...now preaching what to do and what not to do. GFY!

Getting back to Marshall, I'll be pretty surprised if he doesn't produce at his average for the last 8 years -- 1182 yards, 14 yards ave/reception; 8 TD's. Besides the stellar Jay Cutler, the guy has had Kyle Orton, Chad Henne, and Matt Moore as his QB's. Despite the aberration of last year's rib injury, he has shown incremental increases over the three years prior in his numbers. Last year was the only year he went under 1000 yards as a receiver in the last eight. When was the last time the Jets had somebody putting up those numbers? He's a clear cut #1 receiver.

So Marshall gets like a 10% raise and this year's salary guaranteed (which I think he gets once he is on the roster first week of the season - correct me if i am wrong).

I bet if Wilk said give me a 10% raise and guarantee next year's salary and we would have a deal.  Wilks deal is more complicated; also, Jets have the leverage; also, we don't know what Wilk is asking for.

I will also say that Marshall dramatically improves our WR group and is our #1.  Not sure considering the depth you can say the same about Wilkerson.

I hope Wilkerson retires a Jet, but you have to run the CAP like a business; be patient and get value.  You want to treat your players fairly, but you have to have reasonable contracts; remember Sheldon is up in a year or 2; can't have the players thinking they can bully the GM (not saying this is what Wilk is doing).  I still expect a deal to be done. (at least I hope so).

Why can't they trade him before next season?  A 2016 draft pick is not adding anything to the 2015 New York Jets.  They traded Revis and Abraham for first round picks when they needed to sign new contracts.  Wilkerson will have plenty of incentive to crush people since it is his contract year.  He isn't likely to sleepwalk through it.

Muhammad Wilkerson is unrestricted Fa next season( have the franchise tag option) . If the Jets tag him with the franchise tag, and M Wilkerson signs that contract , than the Jets can't trade him. Are stuck paying that 14 million dollar it would cost . Do the Jets want to pay a defense lineman that much, when they have way cheaper player at that same position.

The Jets have to either sign him , or try and get the most they can get for him in a trade. Just because one team was dumb enough to give a first for Revis, doesn't mean another team will be that dumb.( how did that trade work out for Tampa Bay)

Muhammad Wilkerson is unrestricted Fa next season( have the franchise tag option) . If the Jets tag him with the franchise tag, and M Wilkerson signs that contract , than the Jets can't trade him. Are stuck paying that 14 million dollar it would cost . Do the Jets want to pay a defense lineman that much, when they have way cheaper player at that same position.

The Jets have to either sign him , or try and get the most they can get for him in a trade. Just because one team was dumb enough to give a first for Revis, doesn't mean another team will be that dumb.( how did that trade work out for Tampa Bay)

Trading him now is pretty moronic.  He is going to play for the Jets this season.

That trade not working out for the Bucs is irrelevant.  The last two big trades the Jets had were for guys in that position.  Revis and Abraham.  Cassel was traded after being tagged.

As for dumb a better comparison might be Seymour to the Raiders no?  The price point for Revis was a relative bargain, a 1st and a 3rd for the best Cb in the game at the time.  TB just was dreadful in all other areas.

Just because one team was dumb enough to give a first for Revis, doesn't mean another team will be that dumb.( how did that trade work out for Tampa Bay)

Revis for a 1st plus wasn't dumb. Not even close. 1st round picks in their prime who are the best at their position bring back more than they originally cost.

Mo was a first round pick who is a better player today than people thought he would be when he was drafted. He absolutely is worth a 1st plus.

Teams will not offer multiple draft picks for a player who will become a free agent in 9 months. Other GMs know for a fact Wilk is a goner.

This is simply untrue. It happens all the time.

There's a reason teams do this (to acquire such a player). They want the player and want the leverage the original team has, rather than the leverage the player has as a full UFA after the 9 months is up (and they will then be in a bidding war with any number of other teams). Not to mention, they get the player's services immediately rather than next year or later (when coach and/or GM might be out of a job anyway).

It often happens before the draft, but that would only mean there's even more incentive for another team to do this now (rather than 2 months ago) since they get the veteran player now and don't lose any draft picks until the following season and/or beyond.

Archived