Tim Tebow, 3 Years Later

keysersoze

It's been several years since the Tebow trade, a move that divided half a fanbase and created a media controversy we likely won't see again. Now that you've had time to reflect on the move.... what were your thoughts when the trade first happened? What did you predict for Tebow's performance with the Jets? Was his failure all his own or caused by the Jets coaching staff?

Just curious to see where the board stands on this issue, given that he's an extremely polarizing figure.

It's been several years since the Tebow trade, a move that divided half a fanbase and created a media controversy we likely won't see again. Now that you've had time to reflect on the move.... what were your thoughts when the trade first happened? What did you predict for Tebow's performance with the Jets? Was his failure all his own or caused by the Jets coaching staff?

Just curious to see where the board stands on this issue, given that he's an extremely polarizing figure.

He sucks

The Jets had a big idea that he was going to be the big wild cat extraordinaire.  The move made total sense when they were talking about it.

The fails were as follows.

- They guaranteed he would be the backup QB

- The joke of an OC Sparano never really had a package for him.

The amount of kerfuffle over the player by jets fans and the media was hilarious.

I hated the move at the time. I thought Tebow stunk and would stink. In retrospect I think he did stink. I don't blame the coaching staff. He just wasn't a QB.

Having said the above I won't count him out from becoming a good QB. I've seen his throwing more recently and am impressed. On top of that his work ethic is outstanding (from what I've read). I wish the jets would've acquired this version of Tebow back then. Doesn't mean he'll succeed as a QB but I give him a chance now that his throwing motion has been corrected.

I can not remember ever seing a bona fide backup QB get a press conference, like the one Tebow had.... Crazy...  I did not like it when it happened.  A back up qb needs to be able to play.  Jets went from Brunell as the back up who was to old to play QB, to Tebow who could not play QB...

I thought it would be a disaster then and I think it was a disaster now.  I was figuring that Drew Stanton would get some starting reps and prove just how bad Sanchez was.  I actually thought it might be a ploy to bump up the confidence of Sanchez.  Bring in a guy with good work habits who is a much worse QB.  Horrible all around.

I opened this thread expecting a doctored picture of him with a guy, a syringe sticking out of his arm, a crack pipe in his hand, etc.

Imagine my disappointment. 

There is still time!

I can not remember ever seing a bona fide backup QB get a press conference, like the one Tebow had.... Crazy...  I did not like it when it happened.  A back up qb needs to be able to play.  Jets went from Brunell as the back up who was to old to play QB, to Tebow who could not play QB...

I don't think he was even a bona fide backup QB.

Great person.  Great NCAA QB.  Just not an NFL QB.

CS had little to do with his failure, guy just couldn't throw the ball.  The FO turned it into a freak show.  It was worth a shot to sign him as the  "Wild Cat" QB  They should have just signed him and let it go as any other back up QB signing.

Wish the guy all the luck in the world.

There's nothing good about that trade then or now.

He's a very bad pro QB. And while the CS was terrible, there was no fixing Tebow anyway.

I watch a lot of sports. I don't want to come off as an a$$hole (too late), but the people who cannot differentiate between the 2 very different levels of football in the NFL and NCAA I have no time for. It's like saying Usain Bolt would be an awesome race car driver. I knew Tebow would be sh*t and I knew Manzeil would be too. How? Because I like...watch games n stuff.

He's a very bad pro QB. And while the CS was terrible, there was no fixing Tebow anyway.

I watch a lot of sports. I don't want to come off as an a$$hole (too late), but the people who cannot differentiate between the 2 very different levels of football in the NFL and NCAA I have no time for. It's like saying Usain Bolt would be an awesome race car driver. I knew Tebow would be sh*t and I knew Manzeil would be too. How? Because I like...watch games n stuff.

This

His own failure. Completing 2 out of 10 passes has nothing to do with coaching. I thought he was going to be an excellent gadget player. He's just not an NFL caliber player until he improves his passing game, which likely wont happen.

Oh wait, scouts don't watch games I guess. Only you do. Both of the players you mentioned, were pretty high picks. I'd love your opinion on what you though Tom Brady would become, or Sanchez, or RG3 or even Victor Cruz whom most said was going to be a pre-season wonder.

Oh wait, scouts don't watch games I guess. Only you do. Both of the players you mentioned, were pretty high picks. I'd love your opinion on what you though Tom Brady would become, or Sanchez, or RG3 or even Victor Cruz whom most said was going to be a pre-season wonder.

Scouts get fired all the time. Ron Jaworski said Manzeil should have been a 4th rounder prior tobthat draft and he was right. Even though he got sh*t on for it. Don't get on my ass simply because I'm smarter than whoever is making the calls in Cleveland. Also, most people thought Tebow was a huge reach in the 1st round. The pick was mocked then and it still is today. Josh McDaniels will never live that pick down.

I'm not going to pretend that I knew anything about Brady or Cruz. This is called honesty.

Sanchez I thought was a horrible pick being that he only started 12 or 13 games in college. AND we moved up to get him. Bad all around.

RGIII I thought would be better, a lot better. Guy is playing QB in the NFL with a sprinter's body is just a part of the problem though.

And BTW, it's called hype and everyone is susceptible to it.

I was upset when I first found out we got Tewbow, then I kinda jumped on board and figured he cant possibly make the team worse. I think his lack of success was from a number of things #1 being he couldn't throw the ball, aside from his lack of skills as a QB when we actually used him it was something like a 99% chance of him running the ball which would have given him some good opportunities later on in the season to throw as the one play we ran with him by that point was insanely predictable but instead they just ran him time and time again. I wish him all the best as I think he is a good role model for the children but I just cant see him making a roster as a starter or even a backup at this point. The shame of it is he might have made a decent RB.

I opened this thread expecting a doctored picture of him with a guy, a syringe sticking out of his arm, a crack pipe in his hand, etc.

Imagine my disappointment. 

I was about to waste 30 minutes of my life poorly photoshopping that for you.

What's your opinion on Mariota and Winston coming out? Are either of them NFL-caliber QBs?

What's your opinion on Mariota and Winston coming out? Are either of them NFL-caliber QBs?

Marriota: No. He's Madden Football personified.

Winston: Maybe. We all know the maturity thing. But as for actual football I think he pans out as a JAG. He's not terrible, he's also not worthy of the #1 overall pick either. JMO.

Marriota: No. He's Madden Football personified.

Winston: Maybe. We all know the maturity thing. But as for actual football I think he pans out as a JAG. He's not terrible, he's also not worthy of the #1 overall pick either. JMO.

Damn, if you're that bearish on Mariota and Winston, I can only imagine your thoughts on Geno coming out of college LOL.

Damn, if you're that bearish on Mariota and Winston, I can only imagine your thoughts on Geno coming out of college LOL.

Geno got screwed by having to start as a rookie. I don't hate the guy, and I don't think he's lazy or stupid. He really should have sat for a while.

Scouts get fired all the time. Ron Jaworski said Manzeil should have been a 4th rounder prior tobthat draft and he was right. Even though he got sh*t on for it. Don't get on my ass simply because I'm smarter than whoever is making the calls in Cleveland. Also, most people thought Tebow was a huge reach in the 1st round. The pick was mocked then and it still is today. Josh McDaniels will never live that pick down.

I'm not going to pretend that I knew anything about Brady or Cruz. This is called honesty.

Sanchez I thought was a horrible pick being that he only started 12 or 13 games in college. AND we moved up to get him. Bad all around.

RGIII I thought would be better, a lot better. Guy is playing QB in the NFL with a sprinter's body is just a part of the problem though.

And BTW, it's called hype and everyone is susceptible to it.

You are 100% correct..

Many of us said the same thing only to be told "Rex and Tanny" are getting "paid what do you know".....

So we shouldn't just trust the "so called" experts.

Divided a fanbase? 95% of Jets fans hated the move. The only reason a "fanbase" seemed divided was because we suddenly took on a giant bandwagon of Teblowers as "fans".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at work and went numb when I heard we traded for him,  then came the window where he possibly could go to the Jags and I got excited just to get kicked in the junk for the 2nd time in 24 hrs

A mismatch made in Heaven.  The match on the field was just completely wrong, didn't fit the team at all, and he fell on his face with Sporano at the helm.  The place was the right place, because it got the Jets a ton of publicity, national coverage, and it got him coverage as well.  If he was any good, this would've been an excellent trade, but he wasn't.   I think he looked decent in Denver because he had a trio of WRs that were good in Thomas, Decker. Royal each complimenting each other well, a good set of RBs, and a decent defense.   Once those luxuries were gone, he was going to be exposed.  

It's been several years since the Tebow trade, a move that divided half a fanbase 

What fanbase did it divide??  No one thought Tebow was a good QB - even compared to Sanchez - save for a few apostles.  

If you were to take a poll about who should be the starting QB - Tebow vs. Billal Powel - I'd guess Powel would win...

Great person.  Great NCAA QB.  Just not an NFL QB.

CS had little to do with his failure, guy just couldn't throw the ball.  The FO turned it into a freak show.  It was worth a shot to sign him as the  "Wild Cat" QB  They should have just signed him and let it go as any other back up QB signing.

Wish the guy all the luck in the world.

+1

You are 100% correct..

Many of us said the same thing only to be told "Rex and Tanny" are getting "paid what do you know".....

So we shouldn't just trust the "so called" experts.

We got jammed up with 2 GMs that were better bean counters than football guys.

Archived