Jets Source on Geno: He Deserved It

AFJF

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did.

Look, at the the end of the day, Geno has a broken jaw in two places, and most players had said that nobody saw the punch coming and that it happened so fast. That leads me to believe that IK just rocked him without thinking of the consequences because he was pissed off. He has a history of this. At 19 years old he got into a fight with a cop for God's sake. I highly, highly doubt that a guy who is a big nasty linebacker has 40 pounds on the other guy, threw a punch because he felt threatened. C'mon man.

According to eye witnesses'   Smith taunted IK, then crossed the locker room in an aggressive manor.  Put his hands up in IK's face.  One witnesses said he touched   IK's face.  That's assault and battery.  

I don't know how they couldn't have seen the punch coming, once he came across that large locker room in a threatening manner common sense would tell you what was coming next.  As this is playing out it is not the way Bowles portrayed it.  Seemingly the players/Witnesses don't actually want for IK to take the fall as a thug, and for Smith to be the victim.  

As far as the assault on a police officer goes, like you said he was 19.   He got in a fight in a bar.  He didn't know the guy was a cop, he was working off duty as a bouncer.

And if a guy comes across a room in a threatening manner , who is a 6'3" 215# professional athlete, I'm going to perceive that as an attack and defend myself. 

According to eye witnesses'   Smith taunted IK, then crossed the locker room in an aggressive manor.  Put his hands up in IK's face.  One witnesses said he touched   IK's face.  That's assault and battery.  

I don't know how they couldn't have seen the punch coming, once he came across that large locker room in a threatening manner common sense would tell you what was coming next.  As this is playing out it is not the way Bowles portrayed it.  Seemingly the players/Witnesses don't actually want for IK to take the fall as a thug, and for Smith to be the victim.  

As far as the assault on a police officer goes, like you said he was 19.   He got in a fight in a bar.  He didn't know the guy was a cop, he was working off duty as a bouncer.

And if a guy comes across a room in a threatening manner , who is a 6'3" 215# professional athlete, I'm going to perceive that as an attack and defend myself. 

Guys have got shot for less..

gotta say I've done a total 180 on this. is there anything worse in life than someone owing you something and then laughing in your face about it? I'm not quite as mad at IK now. a smart person/non-hot-head would have realized that you just cant knock out your teams QB but if he was provoked like these reports are saying, I can see how he snapped. it doesnt make it right, it just makes you realize there is two sides to this story. and now Rex with the cherry on top to pick IK up in buffalo.

only the Jets can produce a story like this. the buttfumble, a coach tripping a player in the middle of a play, Rex's weird tattoos, the Santonio Holmes fumble, the wildcat obsession, the Green Bay timeout, Tebow, etc. its just comical sometimes and us as fans get the worst of it. 

Geno it seems has not matured at all which is quite sad. now hes got no respect in the locker room and a veteran in front of him when he does come back. he'll have to play out of his mind and win games to even start to gain these guys trust back. then 1 more year on his contract and that might be it for him in a Jets uniform with our new regime.

onward we go with Fitz and Petty. 

Based on the apparent lack of respect for him in the locker room, if Fitz is even half decent he will be the qb and Smith will only play if he gets injured.  Smith's days are numbered, he won't be back next year.  You don't embarass your team like that.  Especially a new regime that is giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Time to move on.   

Based on the apparent lack of respect for him in the locker room, if Fitz is even half decent he will be the qb and Smith will only play if he gets injured.  Smith's days are numbered, he won't be back next year.  You don't embarass your team like that.  Especially a new regime that is giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Time to move on.   

Im a big Geno Smith supporter but I think you are right. I still see the Jets making a move for a QB this season if they can.

Im a big Geno Smith supporter but I think you are right. I still see the Jets making a move for a QB this season if they can.

So was I, but if the information is true about how this whole thing started, then I am done with him.  The Geno Era or Error, as some would prefer, is over as far as I'm concerned.  

So was I, but if the information is true about how this whole thing started, then I am done with him.  The Geno Era or Error, as some would prefer, is over as far as I'm concerned.  

This is the real problem with Smith coming back to the Jets.  Even fans who have been defending him, in view of the new evidence, now think he should be gone.

If he ever returns to the Jets, after his first bad throw, the place is going to explode with booing.  IMO he's done in NY

This is the real problem with Smith coming back to the Jets.  Even fans who have been defending him, in view of the new evidence, now think he should be gone.

If he ever returns to the Jets, after his first bad throw, the place is going to explode with booing.  IMO he's done in NY

Yes I agree.  Unless he came back and played like Namath, he is gone after this season.

Regardless of who the Jets QB is the first bad throw the place will explode with booing. 

It's not just Mehta. The Post is independently reporting that Geno was the instigator in the altercation:

The players said Smith and Enemkapli were having words over the $600 debt Smith owed the linebacker, but they were on separate sides of the locker room. One source described Smith as “taunting” Enemkpali over it. Enemkpali challenged Smith to say it to his face. Smith did and pointed his finger in Enemkpali’s face, which then led to Enemkpali punching Smith and breaking his jaw.

Sports Illustrated said a member of the Bills staff contacted a Jets player to find out the details of the fight before the team claimed him. The player described Smith as being the aggressor in the argument.

http://nypost.com/2015/08/13/geno-smith-said-to-need-wake-up-call-after-instigating-jaw-punch/

Well this is obviously tampering & I hope Woody filed

I don't suppose Geno is allowed to have a side in this?  He disappointed Enempkali's hometown kids, that's true, but Geno was dealing with the death of a friend.  Life and death matters trump disappointed kids.  And maybe Geno felt that Emempkali's pursuit of the money-remember the salaries these guys make-showed disrespect for the importance of Geno's friend dying. 

Just saying, there can be two sides to the story.

I don't suppose Geno is allowed to have a side in this?  He disappointed Enempkali's hometown kids, that's true, but Geno was dealing with the death of a friend.  Life and death matters trump disappointed kids.  And maybe Geno felt that Emempkali's pursuit of the money-remember the salaries these guys make-showed disrespect for the importance of Geno's friend dying. 

the death of a friend story sounded a bit fugazi tbh

It was his brothers friend so that gives Geno the right not to pay IK back a month after it happened??

It was his brothers friend so that gives Geno the right not to pay IK back a month after it happened??

So maybe Geno said when it happened  that I'll see you at training camp and take care of it, and at training camp Enempkali walks up to him and one thing leads to another and they end up having words, like IK says "Tough sh*t about your a$$hole friend, you stood up my kids and where the **** is the $600", and Geno says something, and they walk off not on good terms.  Then Geno starts in in the clubhouse to get back at Enempkali, and then it happens.  I think that is quite possible.

So maybe Geno said when it happened  that I'll see you at training camp and take care of it, and at training camp Enempkali walks up to him and one thing leads to another and they end up having words, like IK says "Tough sh*t about your a$$hole friend, you stood up my kids and where the **** is the $600", and Geno says something, and they walk off not on good terms.  Then Geno starts in in the clubhouse to get back at Enempkali, and then it happens.  I think that is quite possible.

that would be a reasonable scenario. although the hysterical geno haters are going to tell you what they want to believe 

Not that it matters much, but it is not like Geno borrowed the money.  He was doing the guy a favor going to his event and they spent some money to get him there.  This is why people pay extra for flights they can cancel and change at no cost.  The issue is Geno supposedly said he would pay him back.  Clark saying IK was "tight with money" makes him sound like a ballbusting bitch.

Geno didn't make it to the kids camp event he had committed to be at. (Various stories as to why and if/when he let IK know). A month into TC he still hasn't paid IK back the money that was spent on getting him there. Various stories as to if Geno was going to pay him back , if Geno was being aggressive in what he was saying doing in the locker-room ... Most stories at least agree that Geno came over to where IK was and they were arguing back & forth over the money.

The biggest issue to me is a leader of the team (what the starting QB is supposed to be) doesn't behave like this. A leader stands up as an example to his team-mates and does the right thing. A leader gets everyone together pulling for the same goals ... Geno did the opposite of this.

We honestly have no idea of any of this.  It is all conjecture.  A leader also might not stand around while some no name 6th round special teamer bitches and moans about how he is going to get his money.  We don't know who said what, when or why.  We don't even know where they were when the punch was thrown. I've heard various stories ranging from Geno was in his face to getting cold cocked.

Not that it matters much, but it is not like Geno borrowed the money.  He was doing the guy a favor going to his event and they spent some money to get him there.  This is why people pay extra for flights they can cancel and change at no cost.  The issue is Geno supposedly said he would pay him back.  Clark saying IK was "tight with money" makes him sound like a ballbusting bitch.

IK probably was everything you say. Whether Geno truly owed it or not, the answer to that became "yes" when he agreed to reimburse IK weeks ago. It was the right thing for him to do at the time; it showed maturity and just flat-out being a gentleman. To then turn around and not pay it? Weak.

And either way, as a pure business transaction it's worth Geno's $600 to be the bigger man (worth it all the more in hindsight lol). He would have gotten a lot of props in the locker room, as word of how he handled it would have worked its way around. I take for granted that I'm older and wiser (and just flat-out smarter) than Geno, but how could anyone be this myopic? Then to - yes, allegedly - rub it in IK's face in the alleged manner? Very un-leader-like.

We honestly have no idea of any of this.  It is all conjecture.  A leader also might not stand around while some no name 6th round special teamer bitches and moans about how he is going to get his money.  We don't know who said what, when or why.  We don't even know where they were when the punch was thrown. I've heard various stories ranging from Geno was in his face to getting cold cocked.

Well no, not exactly.  All of the versions with any detail of the incident seem to paint Geno in a pretty bad light.

Since the incident not ONE of Geno's teammates have come out and condemned Enemkpali's actions. Not only THAT but no one seems to have taken the trouble of trying to break up the situation. That is a damning statement of Smith's popularity in the locker room. I know that not everybody likes everybody else in ANY locker room, but the Jets players don't even seem to respect Geno very much. He will have a very hard time winning the locker room back if he continues his punk attitude. Players have had more praise for Fitzpatrick after one series than they have for Geno in three years. He better come back humble and apologetic if he even hopes to exist in the Jets locker room. 

People don't "break up the situation" for a leader.  The leader is the one they look to for resolution.  I will grant you that it does not seem that Geno handled this well, but we do not KNOW that.  There are a million little details in how this played out that could influence how we feel about it.

A million little details?

This wasn't Kasparov vs. Topalov.

;)

David J. Chao, MD
‏@ProFootballDoc
Good news for @nyjets fans. GENO SMITH plate/screws, jaw not wired shut. Anticipate less than 6-10 wks. Week 1 likely.

Geno possibly be back by week 1 with the method of surgery he decided on.  Of course he would still need to practice from week 1 forward, but looks like he will def be back earlier.

i wonder what to do with Geno honestly.  If his teammates have given up on him and ready to move on, what kind of distraction does he create in the locker rooM?

Archived