Jets Source on Geno: He Deserved It

AFJF

It's not just Mehta.  The Post is independently reporting that Geno was the instigator in the altercation:

The players said Smith and Enemkapli were having words over the $600 debt Smith owed the linebacker, but they were on separate sides of the locker room. One source described Smith as “taunting” Enemkpali over it. Enemkpali challenged Smith to say it to his face. Smith did and pointed his finger in Enemkpali’s face, which then led to Enemkpali punching Smith and breaking his jaw.

Sports Illustrated said a member of the Bills staff contacted a Jets player to find out the details of the fight before the team claimed him. The player described Smith as being the aggressor in the argument.

http://nypost.com/2015/08/13/geno-smith-said-to-need-wake-up-call-after-instigating-jaw-punch/

Wondered if this had happened when Buff signed him.  Thought Rex's staff would've still had a few player phone #'s to find out what really happened. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What IK did was wrong, but remember the context; they aren't in a meeting wearing suits; this is football and most of the players come from a background where you don't take the 'dis-respect'.  Again, IK never should have hit him.

But, I think what is more telling is what happened after the fight.

IK, was release and apologized for his actions.  Said he let the situation get out of control, but he should have walked away.  Clearly he has anger control issues he needs to deal with.

Geno tweeted a selfie about how he would be back.  No apology, no statement.  Cleary he is a punk.  Not sure you can get help for that.  I said it in another thread, slipping to the 2nd round didn't wake him up; sucking for 2 seasons didn't wake him up either.  It looks like getting punched in the face and having the locker room partly blame him for it didn't seem to wake him up either...

He needs to go back to Hampton, VA.

He can hang out with Iverson and Vick.

? The damning silence is obviously due to players not having Geno's back.. which is what I wrote. A locker room not liking a guy isn't a big deal if you perform on the field. Happens all the time. The problem has been Geno's performance on the field - which is something I had really hoped would improve with Gailey this season.

It's really weird. a lot of fans wanted to see Geno fail and are in their glory right now. i don't get it. His training camp had been solid, reports had been good, even Bowels said it was night and day since the spring. I was really looking forward to see how he looked in the preseason and if he could take that step. As long as the guy's not committing crimes I could care less if he's not likable... locker room problems are only an issue if you're losing.

And I get Geno sucked in years one and two. I saw the games. I thought he looked awful most of the time. But I was willing to give him year 3 with Gailey before blowing it up.  I guess after the years of false hope for Pennington and Sanchez has jaded the fan base with every young QB that comes along.  Bring on Fitz.. let's see what Gailey can get out of him again

My bad - thought you were saying the opposite, re: silence.

Geno's upside would never come to fruition, btw, not as long as underachievers with sh*te attitudes still flounder about in this world.

Call it addition by subtraction and pray he stays healthy.

gotta say I've done a total 180 on this. is there anything worse in life than someone owing you something and then laughing in your face about it? I'm not quite as mad at IK now. a smart person/non-hot-head would have realized that you just cant knock out your teams QB but if he was provoked like these reports are saying, I can see how he snapped. it doesnt make it right, it just makes you realize there is two sides to this story. and now Rex with the cherry on top to pick IK up in buffalo.

only a Rex Bitten Jets can produce a story like this. the buttfumble, a coach tripping a player in the middle of a play, Rex's weird tattoos, the Santonio Holmes fumble, the wildcat obsession, the Green Bay timeout, Tebow, etc. its just comical sometimes and us as fans get the worst of it. 

Geno it seems has not matured at all which is quite sad. now hes got no respect in the locker room and a veteran in front of him when he does come back. he'll have to play out of his mind and win games to even start to gain these guys trust back. then 1 more year on his contract and that might be it for him in a Jets uniform with our new regime.

onward we go with Fitz and Petty. 

Just wanted to fix that for you.  

edit: Oh and you forgot the foot fetish scandal as well.

If Geno put a finger in or on IK's face and verbally threatened him, IK could claim self defense and charges wouldn't amount to anything.

That said, this story is totally believable and it's not just Manish's sources. It's being said by many others as well.

Lmao. You have a very poor understanding of how assault works.

I can't back either one of them anymore. Both were wrong. I'm just very disappointed.

Starting to agree with this. Still f*cking hate IK and wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if he ripped both of his ACLs in the Bills game tomorrow.

What IK did was wrong, but remember the context; they aren't in a meeting wearing suits; this is football and most of the players come from a background where you don't take the 'dis-respect'.  Again, IK never should have hit him.

But, I think what is more telling is what happened after the fight.

IK, was release and apologized for his actions.  Said he let the situation get out of control, but he should have walked away.  Clearly he has anger control issues he needs to deal with.

Geno tweeted a selfie about how he would be back.  No apology, no statement.  Cleary he is a punk.  Not sure you can get help for that.  I said it in another thread, slipping to the 2nd round didn't wake him up; sucking for 2 seasons didn't wake him up either.  It looks like getting punched in the face and having the locker room partly blame him for it didn't seem to wake him up either...

Yup. I've done a 180 on the situation as well. Geno is just an immature loser and not meant to lead a franchise. Fitz is nothing special but at least we have someone the team respects in the huddle now. Maybe even better off Geno got cracked like the punk he is. 

Lmao. You have a very poor understanding of how assault works.

If the Post article is correct, that is classic assault.

He crossed a distance in an enraged manner, put his hands up to IK's face.  If IK perceives itas an attack, which I would, he has every right to defend himself 

Assault

Definition

1.  Intentionally putting another person in reasonable apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact.  No intent to cause physical injury needs to exist, and no physical injury needs to result.  So defined in tort law and the criminal statutes of some states.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/assault

And I'm supposed to take it that you, someone who uses LMAO, knows more about the law and criminal activity than I? Eh, Muggle?

Tell you what genius. Start an argument with someone, wait for them to get in your face, then crack them in the face breaking their jaw in two places, try using the "he wagged his finger" defense and tell me how that works out for you. LMAO.

If the Post article is correct, that is classic assault.

He crossed a distance in an enraged manner, put his hands up to IK's face. If IK perceives itas an attack, which I would, he has every right to defend himself

Assault

Definition

1. Intentionally putting another person in reasonable apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact. No intent to cause physical injury needs to exist, and no physical injury needs to result. So defined in tort law and the criminal statutes of some states.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/assault

There was no injury to IK. Geno never swung on him. There isn't a snowballs chance in hell he would be able to claim self defense.

Tell you what genius. Start an argument with someone, wait for them to get in your face, then crack them in the face breaking their jaw in two places, try using the "he wagged his finger" defense and tell me how that works out for you. LMAO.

If Geno touched him in any way and verbally threatened him, IK has recourse. You're so far off base here.

If Geno touched him in any way and verbally threatened him, IK has recourse. You're so far off base here.

Geno never threw a single punch. Geno has his jaw broken in two places. I don't give a flying f*ck how people feel about Geno, IK won't be getting away with this if Geno presses charges.

Geno never threw a single punch. Geno has his jaw broken in two places. I don't give a flying f*ck how people feel about Geno, IK won't be getting away with this if Geno presses charges.

Geno doesn't have to even throw a punch. That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works. If Geno placed his hands in any way on or in IK's personal space while verbally threatening him, Geno is liable. It's very simple.

Geno presses charges he comes out of this looking like a pussy.

Oh I agree. I'm pissed at both of them for escalating this by acting like f*cking children. My point was, there's no chance in hell IK could pull a "It was self defense" excuse.

Geno presses charges he comes out of this looking like a pussy.

this. if he was going to press charges, I believe he would have done so already. no cops seem to be involved. the damage is done. pressing charges would only serve to worsen the views of his peers about him

There was no injury to IK. Geno never swung on him. There isn't a snowballs chance in hell he would be able to claim self defense.

Did you read the definition of assault you quoted?

Definition 

1. Intentionally putting another person in reasonable apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact. No intent to cause physical injury needs to exist, and no physical injury needs to result. So defined in tort law and the criminal statutes of some states.

When you are assaulted, you have a right to defend yourself.   You don't have to be injured, or even touched.  Your assailant just has to give you cause to think you might be touched 

My point was, there's no chance in hell IK could pull a "It was self defense" excuse.

maybe, but courts usually take into consideration the dynamics of the case. yea, claiming self defense because someone pointed a finger at you might not yield a dismissal or a not guilty verdict if brought to trial, but claiming the other guy might have started it, and if the court sees it that way, would probably yield a lesser charge conviction and most likely, a small piece of probation and a fine. its a moot point anyways as geno will not press charges

Did you read the definition of assault you quoted?

Definition

1. Intentionally putting another person in reasonable apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact. No intent to cause physical injury needs to exist, and no physical injury needs to result. So defined in tort law and the criminal statutes of some states.

When you are assaulted, you have a right to defend yourself. You don't have to be injured, or even touched. Your assailant just has to give you cause to think you might be touched

I did.

Look, at the the end of the day, Geno has a broken jaw in two places, and most players had said that nobody saw the punch coming and that it happened so fast. That leads me to believe that IK just rocked him without thinking of the consequences because he was pissed off. He has a history of this. At 19 years old he got into a fight with a cop for God's sake. I highly, highly doubt that a guy who is a big nasty linebacker has 40 pounds on the other guy, threw a punch because he felt threatened. C'mon man.

I did.

Look, at the the end of the day, Geno has a broken jaw in two places, and most players had said that nobody saw the punch coming and that it happened so fast. That leads me to believe that IK just rocked him without thinking of the consequences because he was pissed off. He has a history of this. At 19 years old he got into a fight with a cop for God's sake. I highly, highly doubt that a guy who is a big nasty linebacker has 40 pounds on the other guy, threw a punch because he felt threatened. C'mon man.

Again with this?  as a teenager he got in a fight in a bar where the bouncer just happened to be an off-duty police officer....huge difference...HUGE.

I highly, highly doubt that a guy who is a big nasty linebacker has 40 pounds on the other guy, threw a punch because he felt threatened. C'mon man.

using your logic, if ik got up in, lets say, snacks face in a threatening manner, snacks should not feel threatened because he has 80 lbs on ik?

The sad part of this is that we lost a valuable player on this mess. And it ain't f-cking Geno!

IK is a JAG we have way better LBs on the roster who are hungry for a position IK has 1 highlight reel which plays over and over and who wants his character on this team anyway 

Archived