Quinton Coples Waived

Maxman

Wrong player to cut if their trying to send a message. He hardly got on the field. You want to send a message, you have to cut a veteran starter who thinks he is better than he is and shows no desire and never shows up consistently on game days. Did Wilkerson play yesterday? I would trade him at the end of the season. He wants JJ Watt money, yesterday he proved he will never be able to carry Watts jock. If we can get a high pick for him trade him. Also we have not one leader on this team someone who comes to play 60 minutes every week and plays with a fire in his belly. Both the O and D Lines need new blood. If this team folds and finishes under 500 after the 4 and 1 start Boles should be let go. I hope he turns this around because i am tired of our team treading water. I had high hopes for Bowles and Mac and would hate to have to start over.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does cutting a trash player=incompetence? 

Smart teams while hating a guy internally find a way to pawn him off on someone and get some value.  Belli does this sort of thing all the time.  Getting rid of him?  No big crime but going into the year doing the exact same thing as rex and putting an obvious 4 man dline guy at olb was on the coaches and the org.

Not happening. Cromartie is here because of Bowles, as opposed to Coples, who he inherited. 

But being truthful, if the true goal was to send a message, yeah I agree with you he should cut Cromartie. I think it's being painted as more of a message than it really was intended to be. This is a GM move not a HC move. Copies wasn't in on that many snaps as it is. If he's healthy, we're cutting him because he isn't worth $8M next year healthy. If he busts his ACL then we must retain him for that huge nut while not healthy. Basically I think this was a security move and is getting more play as a "message" even though that may be a distance 2nd reason why he was cut.

Washington is kind of doing the same thing with RGIII, but they can justify the "wasted" roster spot for a #3 QB who never sees the field because only 1 QB ever sees the field, and only 2 dress, even when 3 are on the roster. On defense, every player rotates in & out, and with Coples it was increasingly more out than in anyway.

Good insight Sperm thx - this makes mucho sense.

How does cutting a trash player=incompetence? 

How is it sending a message?   They're not playing him.

And you're telling me there was absolutely no better solution with Coples, then cutting him mid-season while Richardson is hurt?  You're joking right?   Never mind the injury and the fact he might miss half a season next year and a puff away from an entire year...but you dont explore a trade?  Or jeez, IDK, maybe trying him at his natural position since the DL sucks dick?  

How is it sending a message?   They're not playing him.

And you're telling me there was absolutely no better solution with Coples, then cutting him mid-season while Richardson is hurt?  You're joking right?   Never mind the injury and the fact he might miss half a season next year and a puff away from an entire year...but you dont explore a trade?  Or jeez, IDK, maybe trying him at his natural position since the DL sucks dick?  

should have been bowles first move as the coach. first time he met coples he should have told him to start putting on weight

should have been bowles first move as the coach. first time he met coples he should have told him to start putting on weight

And even if it's not his first move...now that you're 10 games deep and your DL is completey overrated and you cant get any pressure with any one player...why not just try to see if you can get something out of him on the DL?  I just dont get it.  What does it hurt at this point? 

The personnel usage by this regime is laughably pathetic. 

Why trade him to a divisional team?  Let him get picked up by the Lions or something.

Because clearly you think he sucks, so you shouldnt be afraid of him on another team, so why not getting something in return? 

He could very easily wind up in the division, for free.

Because clearly you think he sucks, so you shouldnt be afraid of him on another team, so why not getting something in return? 

He could very easily wind up in the division, for free.

The injury clause deal is a big factor.  No team is going to trade for that.  If Sperm is right about all this, Coples is unlikely be picked up off of waivers. 

Wouldn't the next team have to pick up that option as well? The contract calls for [the option amount, $7.8M] if the option is exercised. Well, the option has been exercised so that's now his effective contract going forward.

Maybe.

I think he'd just clear waivers and then someone would sign him to a new contract for the rest of the season.

question for ya. why would the jets pick up the 5th year option if they had no plans to keep him? at least for the rest of the season. I don't get it

Cheap, easy way to send a message to the team.  He was gonna be a free agent anyway and wasn't playing enough to justify a roster spot.  He'll find a job as a 4-3 backup somewhere, or Rex will pick him up

Thing is, if he signed somewhere else for any kind of money, we may have received a comp pic for him.

It's not a nice aside. It's a huge, big deal.

If Coples gets injured badly enough to activate his guaranteed $7.8M for next year it's a handicap this team can't absorb.

This is an accounting/actuarial type move. 6 more games of a healthy Coples getting a snap here or there isn't worth the risk of paying him $8M next year while injured.

Otherwise what's the message? Pre-Bowles guys need to watch their asses but players signed (or re-signed) this offseason can piss in his mouth? Some message.

Coples fell out of the rotation in October and wasn't contributing much prior to that. If they were concerned about him getting an injury, they could have cut him weeks, if not months, ago. 

how is it not incompetence to see that coples is not an olb? should have been bowles first move as a head coach to end the the olb experiment that rex created

If you'll recall, the book on Coples was written all the way back to his UNC days. There's no doubt that Bowles knew his reputation beforehand.

question for ya. why would the jets pick up the 5th year option if they had no plans to keep him? at least for the rest of the season. I don't get it

I think they were keeping their options open. If they turned him into the player he was once touted to be, getting him locked up at $7.8M is not expensive with this current salary cap limit. Also gives the team leverage on an extension. 

...then the season happened, and the team isn't so high on the potential of "Q" anymore. So why put off the inevitable, and in doing so they tempt fate. As it is they're locked in to Revis, who is merely good now, for $17M next season. Won't help things if Q adds another $8M to that while sitting out part, most, or all of the season with an injury. Hell, he isn't worth that - certainly not at his current position - when healthy.

It was an option for next year, not a guarantee for next year. Unless he gets hurt. Then it's guaranteed.

Coples fell out of the rotation in October and wasn't contributing much prior to that. If they were concerned about him getting an injury, they could have cut him weeks, if not months, ago. 

I'd argue tThe difference is the optimism of the team's chances in the post-season has changed dramatically over the past few weeks.

Before, there was hope. Now, reality has set in. The only hope left is blind hope. Also it's different when he's just starting to get his reps cut a little and after they've been cut dramatically and remained so for multiple consecutive weeks.

I think they were keeping their options open. If they turned him into the player he was once touted to be, getting him locked up at $7.8M is not expensive with this current salary cap limit. Also gives the team leverage on an extension. 

...then the season happened, and the team isn't so high on the potential of "Q" anymore. So why put off the inevitable, and in doing so they tempt fate. As it is they're locked in to Revis, who is merely good now, for $17M next season. Won't help things if Q adds another $8M to that while sitting out part, most, or all of the season with an injury. Hell, he isn't worth that - certainly not at his current position - when healthy.

It was an option for next year, not a guarantee for next year. Unless he gets hurt. Then it's guaranteed.

makes sense, but couldn't they hold off exercising the 5th year option? if they could, wouldn't that make more sense? were they on a timeline?

makes sense, but couldn't they hold off exercising the 5th year option? if they could, wouldn't that make more sense? were they on a timeline?

Nope, it had actually already been done.  The rules for the rookie contracts is that the 5th year option needs to be decided on during the offseason prior to their 4th year, and the Jets had picked it up back then.  They could still get rid of him, but it would be a matter of cutting him, which is where the risks Sperm mentioned come into play.

First of all, no one claiming him with his contract.    Why would he go to buffalo after Rex is the one that played him out of position?

something happened, this is a great example of no one here has any idea what goes on in the locker room.   There is something going on that maybe someday we will hear the true story. 

Nope, it had actually already been done.  The rules for the rookie contracts is that the 5th year option needs to be decided on during the offseason prior to their 4th year, and the Jets had picked it up back then.  They could still get rid of him, but it would be a matter of cutting him, which is where the risks Sperm mentioned come into play.

ok. got it. there was a timeline.thanx

Smart teams while hating a guy internally find a way to pawn him off on someone and get some value.  Belli does this sort of thing all the time.  Getting rid of him?  No big crime but going into the year doing the exact same thing as rex and putting an obvious 4 man dline guy at olb was on the coaches and the org.

Let's go very slowly here for you to understand-If a team traded for Coples and plays him this year, they are on the hook for an 8m guaranteed contract next year if he gets hurt.  Nobody, including us, will take on that responsibility for a guy who has shown nothing but underperformance.  He won't even get picked up on waivers for free under that contract.  He will clear waivers first, and a team will likely sign him to an incentive laden contract at best. 

The injury clause deal is a big factor.  No team is going to trade for that.  If Sperm is right about all this, Coples is unlikely be picked up off of waivers. 

Cut a player, you dont play because you're worried about injury.  Makes sense to me. 

Let's go very slowly here for you to understand-If a team traded for Coples and plays him this year, they are on the hook for an 8m guaranteed contract next year if he gets hurt.  Nobody, including us, will take on that responsibility for a guy who has shown nothing but underperformance.  He won't even get picked up on waivers for free under that contract.  He will clear waivers first, and a team will likely sign him to an incentive laden contract at best. 

Lets go slowly, I never suggested they start pressing the phone today of get rid of him.  Off season, when they should have done their homework and saw he was not a fit at all.  If you make a deal for picks or take on another teams contract or whatever you like.  Carting a guy around all season using a roster spot and exposing actual prospects to waivers due to injuries and such.  And yes this league has a good many suckers in it in management. 

just not true. but it keeps getting repeated as fact. when playing d-line, he has shown something. when playing olb, he shows nothing. who's fault is this?

Archived