And just like that, Rex Ryan is officially eliminated from playoff contention.

RutgersJetFan

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://mweb.cbssport...wing-in-buffalo

From the article (LOL):

Bills general manager Doug Whaley, who was nearly let go a year ago, is at odds with the coaching staff over several key issues, and a showdown between him and Rex Ryan's assistants is likely looming this offseason. League sources said Whaley has been unhappy with the ability of the staff to feature top receiver Sammy Watkins and has made that clear to other members of the organization. He would also prefer the team move on from offensive coordinator Greg Roman and others, though it is highly unlikely owner Terry Pegula would support such measures.

Whaley is complaining about a staff so loaded that it includes a once in a generation talent like Jeff Weeks?...what a joke, maybe this isn't Rex's fault after all.

Rex is washed up.  HC wise and i also believe coordinator wise also.  All the talent on the bills D and they are in the 20s in defensive rankings.  

Go to the bill boards and all they talk about is how Rex screwed up a defense in which Schwartz had top 5

LOL in fairness to Rex, I'm not sure anyone could win in Buffalo. They haven't even had a single playoff appearance this century.

Last season, The Bills were 9-7 with the 4th-ranked defense, and were looking to be on the rise.  Evidently Doug Marrone and Jim Schwartz could win in Buffalo.

This year, they're 6-8 with the 21st-ranked defense by yardage, 17th in points allowed per game.

lockroom discord? no way!

just wait until rex lobbies for rob to join next season. than buffalo will get Hard Knocks and descend into true disfunction. 

http://mweb.cbssport...wing-in-buffalo

From the article (LOL):

Bills general manager Doug Whaley, who was nearly let go a year ago, is at odds with the coaching staff over several key issues, and a showdown between him and Rex Ryan's assistants is likely looming this offseason. League sources said Whaley has been unhappy with the ability of the staff to feature top receiver Sammy Watkins and has made that clear to other members of the organization. He would also prefer the team move on from offensive coordinator Greg Roman and others, though it is highly unlikely owner Terry Pegula would support such measures.

ironically the offense hasn't been the problem

This is exactly how all of us expected this would go down.  Now Whaley will get fired and Rex will live on, leaving the Bills hiring a new GM who caters to Rex.  Poor Buffalo.

if i was on the bills' staff, i'd stand way off the sidewalk with rex around

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQi1t7Ay8cPombwAzpdvAO

In fairness to Buffalo, I'm not sure Rex can win anywhere.

From 2009-2011, the Jets GM put a winning team on the field. In 2 of those seasons, Rex won 4 playoff games. Then the whole thing fell apart, Idzik came in and did nothing and Rex, with his brilliance and iron will led the team to an 8-8 record. Then Idzik continued his destruction of the team by refusing to invest in it and wasting 10+ draft picks on a bunch of junk. Then we get a new GM who makes investments in the team, Todd Bowles does OK and all of the sudden Bowles is a better coach than Rex? LOL.

Rex is a winner. If he didn't have garbage for QBs and if Idzik didn't sabotage him, he'd still be here today and he'd be winning.

From 2009-2011, the Jets GM put a winning team on the field. In 2 of those seasons, Rex won 4 playoff games. Then the whole thing fell apart, Idzik came in and did nothing and Rex, with his brilliance and iron will led the team to an 8-8 record. Then Idzik continued his destruction of the team by refusing to invest in it and wasting 10+ draft picks on a bunch of junk. Then we get a new GM who makes investments in the team, Todd Bowles does OK and all of the sudden Bowles is a better coach than Rex? LOL.

Rex is a winner. If he didn't have garbage for QBs and if Idzik didn't sabotage him, he'd still be here today and he'd be winning.

Rex now has a young QB that has thrown 18 TDs and 5 INTs this season.

He took over a team in Buffalo that gave up 289 points in 2014 and scored 343.

This year the offense is much better, they have scored 341 points with two games to go. Oh but what's that the defense is worse? They have already given up 336 points.

Rex turned a very good defense into something that isn't very good.

Mmm, that's the good stuff. Tell me more about this iron will.

LOL, exceptionally funny post.

"Brilliance and iron will"?  Ha ha ha.  Some day you will wake up and realize that Rex made a fool of you.  The rest of us?  We got that back in 2012.

SAR I

http://nypost.com/2015/12/20/rex-ryan-could-be-out-in-buffalo-after-ominous-words/

Rex Ryan could be out in Buffalo after ominous words

LANDOVER, Md. — Rex Ryan has gone from the hot seat to the frying pan and it remains to be seen whether he’ll back to coach a second season in Buffalo. The vultures are starting to circle after a 35-25 loss to Washington on Sunday eliminated the Bills from playoff contention. They have lost four of their past five games to drop to 6-8.

After the game in which the Bills fell behind 28-3, Ryan warned changes were inevitable though he wasn’t specific about what those changes might be.

“If we don’t get better, the reality of it is this,” he said, “this is the National Football League and unless we get a heck of a lot better, there’s going to be changes. That’s what I told them, there’s going to be drastic changes.”

When pressed to elaborate what changes might be made, Ryan offered: “When you have a season like this, then you have to consider changes. I don’t think there’s any doubt about that.”

There have been reports in Buffalo that some players, including defensive end Mario Williams, are at odds with Ryan’s defensive scheme, and there are other reports of a rift between Ryan and Buffalo general manager Doug Whaley. Ryan made a point to deny the latter.

“That’s one thing that they’re dead wrong on,” Ryan said. “There’s no truth to that. I can promise you that.”

The Bills thought they were on the cusp of something good after going 9-7 last season under Doug Marrone, who unexpectedly resigned. Hiring Ryan after he was fired by the Jets figured to at least ensure the Bills would have a strong defense. But Buffalo came into Sunday’s game ranked 20th in the league on defense and they were porous in allowing the Redskins to take that 28-3 lead.

“I think any time you don’t reach your expectations or whatever, you’ve got to look deep into why things happen,” Ryan said. “It’s easy to point to injuries. A lot of teams go through it. It’s ridiculous the amount of injuries we’ve had. Is that a contributing factor? Of course, and it would be ridiculous if you don’t think it is. However, we’ve got to look at other things as well and everything has to be looked at. We have two games to prove that we belong here. That’s every coach, every player, everybody and that’s just the reality of the business.”

The Bills needed to win their final three games and hope for help to make the playoffs. Yet, they came out flat. Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins burned them for four touchdown passes and ran for another. The Bills also failed to score after getting a first down at the Washington 6 just before halftime.

“That was a big letdown,” Ryan said.

Whaley could be the fall guy, offering Ryan a chance to stay with a new GM in place. But that didn’t work with the Jets after Ryan remained once Mike Tannenbaum was fired after the 2012 season and replaced by John Idzik, who lasted two years.

Ryan seemed to plead his case after Sunday’s loss.

“There’s no question that it doesn’t get much worse than this,” he said. “It wasn’t the lack of effort. I’m telling you, there was no quit in anybody on that team.”

Later he added, “There’s a good nucleus here. There’s an excellent group here. Did it go according to plan? No, not this year. I thought in my heart of hearts that we would be good enough to make a playoff run. I understand the fans’ frustrations. I feel personally responsible. I don’t want to let our fans down. It just pains me that we couldn’t deliver it this year.”

Time will tell whether he’ll get a chance to redeem himself next season.

So what happens if the Jets kick the Pats ass next weekend and head to Buffalo needing a win to make the playoffs?

And the Bills beat the Jets.

All you guys would be jumping off the ledge.

Jump off a bridge? 

For turning a hopeless 4-12 into 10-6 and a near miss of playoffs?  Under a 1st year HC, staff

and FO?  Why would I jump off a bridge?  I'm happy

LOL in fairness to Rex, I'm not sure anyone could win in Buffalo. They haven't even had a single playoff appearance this century.

in fairness to Marone he won in Buffalo last season, with a less effective QB, had the leagues 3rd best defense, without McCoy and his players were happy and Buffalo fans thought they won the lottery when they hired Rex.  

Marone was a better coach than Rex this year.  Cut and dry. 

I'm very surprised by how bad things have gotten in Buffalo.  Mario Williams might be the first ever player to be unhappy with Rex Ryan's defensive scheme.  I think the scheme has evolved from what it used to be known as.  Rex had to become more zone-coverage happy these past few seasons and grew accustomed to not having an elite edge rusher.  Now he has one in Mario Williams and he's taking Williams away from his strength part of the time by having him drop into coverage.

Hopefully this year has humbled Rex.  He really needs to go back to the drawing board and revisit his philosophy.  Maybe he's overcomplicating things.  A defense like Buffalo should be good enough to rank top 10 with a straight 4 down lineman rush and man coverage on the outside.  Not to mention the tough environment their home field is.

I really expect the love affair between Buffalo and Rex is on the rocks right about now. I think, if the Bills owners have any intelligence they will fire him and bring Jim Schwartz in as the new HC. It was Schwartz - not Rex - that made the Bills defense formidable. The defensive players loved Schwartz and it would be a good move for the entire franchise to send Rex on to his next career. On TV. That way Rex can do what he does best...talk, talk, talk and not have to back it up.

The Pegula's are on the hook for $27.5 Million over a 5 year period.  No way they are going to hand over $22 Million for Rex to walk.  

I'm very surprised by how bad things have gotten in Buffalo.  Mario Williams might be the first ever player to be unhappy with Rex Ryan's defensive scheme.  I think the scheme has evolved from what it used to be known as.  Rex had to become more zone-coverage happy these past few seasons and grew accustomed to not having an elite edge rusher.  Now he has one in Mario Williams and he's taking Williams away from his strength part of the time by having him drop into coverage.

Hopefully this year has humbled Rex.  He really needs to go back to the drawing board and revisit his philosophy.  Maybe he's overcomplicating things.  A defense like Buffalo should be good enough to rank top 10 with a straight 4 down lineman rush and man coverage on the outside.  Not to mention the tough environment their home field is.

" He really needs to go back to the drawing board and revisit his philosophy.  Maybe he's over complicating things"

I'm a Bills Fan and this has been my thought all season.  

This is Rex's time to shine. 2 games left, they're out of the playoffs and he's fighting for his job.  I expect 2 wins followed by the "buffoon dance" after they announce he'll be back next year.  

He'll definitely get one more year.  Pegulas, who are on the hook for a contract that is still due over $20 Million Dollars,   are also very slow to fire anyone.

in fairness to Marone he won in Buffalo last season, with a less effective QB, had the leagues 3rd best defense, without McCoy and his players were happy and Buffalo fans thought they won the lottery when they hired Rex.  

Marone was a better coach than Rex this year.  Cut and dry. 

I have to agree with you Jet Nut on all but one point.  The players,  as a whole,  were no too happy with Marrone.  

http://nypost.com/2015/12/20/rex-ryan-could-be-out-in-buffalo-after-ominous-words/

Rex Ryan could be out in Buffalo after ominous words

LANDOVER, Md. — Rex Ryan has gone from the hot seat to the frying pan and it remains to be seen whether he’ll back to coach a second season in Buffalo. The vultures are starting to circle after a 35-25 loss to Washington on Sunday eliminated the Bills from playoff contention. They have lost four of their past five games to drop to 6-8.

After the game in which the Bills fell behind 28-3, Ryan warned changes were inevitable though he wasn’t specific about what those changes might be.

“If we don’t get better, the reality of it is this,” he said, “this is the National Football League and unless we get a heck of a lot better, there’s going to be changes. That’s what I told them, there’s going to be drastic changes.”

When pressed to elaborate what changes might be made, Ryan offered: “When you have a season like this, then you have to consider changes. I don’t think there’s any doubt about that.”

There have been reports in Buffalo that some players, including defensive end Mario Williams, are at odds with Ryan’s defensive scheme, and there are other reports of a rift between Ryan and Buffalo general manager Doug Whaley. Ryan made a point to deny the latter.

“That’s one thing that they’re dead wrong on,” Ryan said. “There’s no truth to that. I can promise you that.”

The Bills thought they were on the cusp of something good after going 9-7 last season under Doug Marrone, who unexpectedly resigned. Hiring Ryan after he was fired by the Jets figured to at least ensure the Bills would have a strong defense. But Buffalo came into Sunday’s game ranked 20th in the league on defense and they were porous in allowing the Redskins to take that 28-3 lead.

“I think any time you don’t reach your expectations or whatever, you’ve got to look deep into why things happen,” Ryan said. “It’s easy to point to injuries. A lot of teams go through it. It’s ridiculous the amount of injuries we’ve had. Is that a contributing factor? Of course, and it would be ridiculous if you don’t think it is. However, we’ve got to look at other things as well and everything has to be looked at. We have two games to prove that we belong here. That’s every coach, every player, everybody and that’s just the reality of the business.”

The Bills needed to win their final three games and hope for help to make the playoffs. Yet, they came out flat. Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins burned them for four touchdown passes and ran for another. The Bills also failed to score after getting a first down at the Washington 6 just before halftime.

“That was a big letdown,” Ryan said.

Whaley could be the fall guy, offering Ryan a chance to stay with a new GM in place. But that didn’t work with the Jets after Ryan remained once Mike Tannenbaum was fired after the 2012 season and replaced by John Idzik, who lasted two years.

Ryan seemed to plead his case after Sunday’s loss.

“There’s no question that it doesn’t get much worse than this,” he said. “It wasn’t the lack of effort. I’m telling you, there was no quit in anybody on that team.”

Later he added, “There’s a good nucleus here. There’s an excellent group here. Did it go according to plan? No, not this year. I thought in my heart of hearts that we would be good enough to make a playoff run. I understand the fans’ frustrations. I feel personally responsible. I don’t want to let our fans down. It just pains me that we couldn’t deliver it this year.”

Time will tell whether he’ll get a chance to redeem himself next season.

Not sure all players worked very hard.  I think Mario Williams,  who I believe has become a cancer in the locker room<  packed it in.  I doubt he'll be in Buffalo next year and that may not be of his own choice.

Last week Rex was mic'ed up for NFL.com, and he kept calling Tyrod Taylor - "kid". They said Babe Ruth didn't know the names of the guys on his team, and called everyone "kid"; so I figured Rex, as well, isn't too familiar with his offensive players, so he does the same.

The Bills wont fire Rex. Who is out there to replace him?

Somebody has to take the fall and it wont be Rex. Whaley is a dead man walking because he has already gone to ownership trying to throw Rex under the bus. Then, no real GM is going to want to be connected to Rex in what could be his last Bills season.

The only solution is to go all in and make Rex the Bills GM too. Double down and bet the mortgage.

Not sure all players worked very hard.  I think Mario Williams,  who I believe has become a cancer in the locker room<  packed it in.  I doubt he'll be in Buffalo next year and that may not be of his own choice.

Your coach brought in noted locker room cancers Lesean McCoy, Percy Harvin and Richie Incognito, but it's the All Pro DE who has been your best player from the second he walked in the door that sabotaged your entire team? 

Buffalo Bills Community

»

Twitter rumors about Bills new structure,...

YoloinOhio's PhotoYoloinOhioToday, 06:46 AM

This guy Joe Chenelly has a source somewhere at OBD. He's had some info in the past. Fwiw:

@jchenelly: Current GM Doug Whaley will need to accept a lesser role w/ the #Bills if he is to remain with the team at all. There will be a new chief.

@Nagle_23: @jchenelly where you getting this info from

@jchenelly: @Nagle_23 Personal friend who is in the know and OK with me sharing, as has been the case for about a year.

@nickellion79: @MikeSilver @RaiderBounty @Na_Na_Nesci @JeremyWGR Mike any chance you think they realize they made a mistake with Rex?

@jchenelly: @nickellion79 Yes. But the person who will decide Rex Ryan's fate is not yet working for the team. #Bills

index.php?app=core&module=task

Archived