Next test for Bowles; sifting out the trash in our Defense

Paradis

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm happy with our coach (though at the moment i want to rip someone in half with a rusty chainsaw) and the job he's done with a MESS of a team from 2015..

But a heavy task lies ahead -- one he'll surely be judged by; Todd & co need to eviscerate this band of underachieving a$$sholes and field a unit that WANTS to win. Players who play to the whistle and don't make BONEHEADED mistakes every bloody week. 

--How much did we spend on our vaunted secondary last year? 100+ million in contracts?... did you see 100 million worth of talent? 

--For a team that spent 4 of our last 5 first rounders on defensive lineman... WHAT THE FCK?? Did Mo, Williams and Richardson serious just get pushed around by Icognito?  

Whats the answer? Cutting Bait?.... phasing personnel out?... trading some people?.. I thought the idea of trading Richardson was insane up until that 4th down infraction. Now, I've had it.

Forget all that. We should draft a tight end. :)

No, they didn't get pushed around. Bills ran the ball 43 times, and netted only 113 yards (2.6 avg). Taylor accounted for 51 of those on 10 carries. 33 carries for 62 yards by the RBs. That's under 2 yards per carry. Against the #1 rushing offense in the league.

So I'd say the D line played very strongly - lots of lines would tire late with that amount of running plays, but ours didn't.

With the Bills' TOP, no mortal defense could be expected to be fresh to the end. The passing game murdered us and kept our defense on the field.

Forget all that. We should draft a tight end. :)

Jake Butt anyone? :P 

Seriously though - it might not show up on the stat sheet, but a 100$+ million dollar secondary and a front line featuring Mo, Rich and Leo "I'm worth way more than Gurley" Williams - should never never be excused to allow Tyrod and the Ryan bunch to have 2/3 time of possesion... Those 4 fcks up front couldn't get pressure. It's starts there. 

Seriously though - it might not show up on the stat sheet, but a 100$+ million dollar secondary and a front line featuring Mo, Rich and Leo "I'm worth way more than Gurley" Williams - should never never be excused to allow Tyrod and the Ryan bunch to have 2/3 time of possesion... Those 4 fcks up front couldn't get pressure. It's starts there. 

I couldn't agree more.. Give Taylor credit, he got the ball out quickly and accurately. And the secondary gave him a nice soft cushion. Recipe for disaster.

Defense

D.Davis - gone

A.Cromartie - gone

C.Pace - gone

Snacks - gone

Wilkerson - tagged and traded

Offense

Kerley - gone

Ridley - gone

Agree, except I don't think Snack and Will can both go. I think Snacks stays because Leonard Williams is very similar in skill set to Mo and thus they may be redundant - although I do love Mo as a player and team guy

I don't disagree. The Jets were hamstrung by injuries and lack of return talent. It will take more than one offseason to fix. This was a 4-12 team. The house has been gutted but there are still cracks in the foundation. This is more than just a paint job. This is a restoration because the last regime treated it like Animal House. 

When you trade off all those mid and late round picks like Tanny did you miss out on a lot of players that go from 6th round pick directly to STs players.  

We need time to get rid of the shlt that Tanny and Rex compiled

If Harrison is let go, the run defense will turn into mush. 

Oh stop. It will not. I'd like him brought back, because he's great. Will the run defense be as good without him? No. Is he irreplaceable? Absolutely not. He probably played himself out of the Jets price range. 

Can one of the cap gurus doing a quick estimate of where we'll be at when some of the obvious guys are gone? (ie. Cro, Kerley, etc)

Projecting that the cap goes to about $147 million, we would have about $11.2 million to start with. 

Cutting the following players and what it would save:

Cromartie: $8 million

Giacomini: $3.8

Cumberland: $1.9 million

Kerley might be cut, but he won't be cut until after June 1.  He saves $1.3 pre-June but $2.5 after June 1.

Gilchrist: $5 million

If Kerley is done after June 1, and all the above were cut, it would save roughly $21.2 million.  That would give us roughly $32.5 million.

Candidates for a re-structure

D'brick--He would cost too much to cut this year in dead money, but he could be completely gone next year.  If he doesn't restructure, he knows he will be shown the door.  Perhaps he offers a reduction with higher guaranteed money for two years?

Mangold--He can be cut this year and next with no dead money; problem is, unless you find a GOOD cheap replacement, how do you cut a HOF centre?  He is owed $8.6 and $9.0 in the next two years.

Marshall-- Same thing.  No dead money, and making $9.5 and $7.5 next two years.  Again, restructure with guaranteed money over next two years?

Decker--Cuttable with little dead money, but not really an option.

Buster Skrine and David Harris can be cut in 2017 with little to no dead money.

Big one is Revis.  He counts $17.0 and $15 respectively over the next two years.  There is NO way he can be cut next year, but could be in 2017 if we want a BIG cap hit of $6.6 million.  2018, he is gone for sure. $10 million saved with little money dead.

So there you have it.  I left off all the scrubs making less than a $1 million....that will sort itself out!

Can one of the cap gurus doing a quick estimate of where we'll be at when some of the obvious guys are gone? (ie. Cro, Kerley, etc)

In the position by position breakdown I posted earlier today, I estimated we could free up about $16-$18M with cuts of Cro ($8M) Kerley ($2.5M) Cumberland ($1.9M), Geno ($1.1M) and after restructuring Brick's deal. 

Oh stop. It will not. I'd like him brought back, because he's great. Will the run defense be as good without him? No. Is he irreplaceable? Absolutely not. He probably played himself out of the Jets price range. 

Took the Jets about 10 years to find a nose tackle. I think we should keep him.

I'm happy with our coach (though at the moment i want to rip someone in half with a rusty chainsaw) and the job he's done with a MESS of a team from 2015..

But a heavy task lies ahead -- one he'll surely be judged by; Todd & co need to eviscerate this band of underachieving a$$sholes and field a unit that WANTS to win. Players who play to the whistle and don't make BONEHEADED mistakes every bloody week. 

--How much did we spend on our vaunted secondary last year? 100+ million in contracts?... did you see 100 million worth of talent? 

--For a team that spent 4 of our last 5 first rounders on defensive lineman... WHAT THE FCK?? Did Mo, Williams and Richardson serious just get pushed around by Icognito?  

Whats the answer? Cutting Bait?.... phasing personnel out?... trading some people?.. I thought the idea of trading Richardson was insane up until that 4th down infraction. Now, I've had it.

So who's fault is that? Bowles? Yes. he probably signed off on all those DB's Mac signed.  Is it Mac's fault? Yes - he signed them.  100 million dollars. Sounds like a damn lottery ticket commercial.

Pace needs to be gone,

We need two olbs with some speed, maybe mauldin moves to a full time starter,

Demario Davis needs to be gone.

Harris needs to be limited.

Our lbs are shi*

Interior rushers get fing stiffed by the refs as they can't see or allow holding all the time.  Most of the holding calls in this league happened when an outisde guy gets grabbed.

Holding damn near happens on every DL every play. Unless its really blatant, it wont be called.  Totally with you on those moves you mentioned. Good job.

Mo, Snacks, Sheldon, Williams.......The Slack Exchange

With the Bills' TOP, no mortal defense could be expected to be fresh to the end. The passing game murdered us and kept our defense on the field.

Which is why it was impressive that even late in the 4th quarter, the Bills run game couldn't seal the deal and run out the clock. The D line held up pretty well, and gave us probably more chances than we deserved to pull that game out. We just couldn't take them.

Only Jets fans are sad when their players play well.

I think moving Cromartie to safety along with Pryor is something to look into. Cromartie was #1 in balls deflected this year he's just older and gets beat put him up top and let him ballhawk but he'd have to restructure his contract. idk its just a thought

I think moving Cromartie to safety along with Pryor is something to look into. Cromartie was #1 in balls deflected this year he's just older and gets beat put him up top and let him ballhawk but he'd have to restructure his contract. idk its just a thought

His contract is for $8M.  We already have Gilchrist who is probably also overpriced and Pryor who looked pretty good.  Cromartie's problem has generally been when playing off in coverage and he provides almost zero in run support.  Revis will be moved to safety before Cromartie. 

Watch out - I spoke about this early in the season and got jumped on for it.

Even if you want to try this it has to be at a reduced salary. If Cro won't restructure, he is out; can't pay him 8 million to try and be a safety IMO.

The never-expressive Bowles so much as said snacks was the key to the defense.  

Cuttingn cro sure, but more Marcus Williams? Love the kid, he's a playmaker, but he was getting beaten like a mule by Greg Salas and everyone else when he plays extended snaps. He's a good nickel or dime guy, but not cut out to start. 

Juat comes down to all three sides of the ball needing more playmakers, guys with actual speed. 

So who's fault is that? Bowles? Yes. he probably signed off on all those DB's Mac signed.  Is it Mac's fault? Yes - he signed them.  100 million dollars. Sounds like a damn lottery ticket commercial.

Imagine how much better the argument would be if we actually wound up spending 100 mil?

Most meaningless thing to worry about, contracts that will never see the light of day

The never-expressive Bowles so much as said snacks was the key to the defense.  

Cuttingn cro sure, but more Marcus Williams? Love the kid, he's a playmaker, but he was getting beaten like a mule by Greg Salas and everyone else when he plays extended snaps. He's a good nickel or dime guy, but not cut out to start. 

Juat comes down to all three sides of the ball needing more playmakers, guys with actual speed. 

Williams is the type of player everyone wants to see play all the time, every down.  

And when if he does everyone will be calling for his head.  

Archived