Cleveland Browns hire Mets VP of Scouting Paul Depodesta

Matt39

CLE never fails in screwing up!!!  They ALWAYS change coaches yet ownership won't go

to Casserly/Wolf to help them pick a new management team.  Do they really think a baseball

guy is going to straighten out a football team???  Fools!!!

The similarities of the success formula are remarkable. 

He is NOT the GM but he will help hire the GM.

Its probably the best move they could have made.

When a Fortune 500 company hire a CEO, Industry expertise is rarely a pre requisite.

Management skills are first and foremost important. You can hire the rest.

When a Fortune 500 company hire a CEO, Industry expertise is rarely a pre requisite.

Disagree, this smacks of an arrogant owner who won't go to pros (Casserly / Wolf) to straighten

out his team.  Haslam wants to show he's the "smartest guy in the room" but his past failings show he's

not.  He should've shown humility, asked for help and finally find the right people.  Because at this point

I'll be shocked if CLE isn't doing this again in another year or two

Disagree, this smacks of an arrogant owner who won't go to pros (Casserly / Wolf) to straighten

out his team.  Haslam wants to show he's the "smartest guy in the room" but his past failings show he's

not.  He should've shown humility, asked for help and finally find the right people.  Because at this point

I'll be shocked if CLE isn't doing this again in another year or two

You are assuming that a search team was not used, no outside consultation was used and he made the decision how?

My ONLY point is that management skills applied to baseball are absolutely transferable to football.  He is NOT a GM or coach.

Running a great organization whether it is GM, GE or Google requires management skill ti hire the right GM.

The ORG chart will filter down to the talent.  If DePodesta is as good as they say...  he wont be the problem.

In fact, if he is that good, he wouldn't take the job without feeling confident he can identify the right people.

Hell..90 percent of the posters here act like they could do better.

sarcasm? Do you really believe that?

sarcasm? Do you really believe that?

I do.  I have worked with MANY Fortune 500 companies and have seen 1st hand great businessmen.

If this so called "Baseball Guy" is solid, no reason he cant transfer those skills to Football, Hockey etc.

It is probably a much better decision than bringing in a lawyer like Tanny with no real football experience.

Keep in mind..he's not the GM.  What qualified a shipbuilder to run the NY Yankees?

I do.  I have worked with MANY Fortune 500 companies and have seen 1st hand great businessmen.

If this so called "Baseball Guy" is solid, no reason he cant transfer those skills to Football, Hockey etc.

It is probably a much better decision than bringing in a lawyer like Tanny with no real football experience.

Keep in mind..he's not the GM.  What qualified a shipbuilder to run the NY Yankees?

ok, well I think that owners,thinking of football teams as traditional corporations is what makes those teams suck. Managing hot dogs or parking or anything truly business like is fine, but is 100% wrong for the football part in my opinion.

I work in the restaurant industry. I just took a job in Alabama at a place thats more venue/restaurant. Lots of live music, etc...in the summer. I've dealt with bands before but not on this level. After I got here I saw that the owners have brought in quite a few new people from all different facets of the hospitality industry and it's really starting to come together. 

My point is, the fine dining guy can be just as good at dealing with a rock band as can the guy who's been dj'ing for 15 years. 

As long as this guy is doing the hiring, etc and not the actual scouting it's not a horrible idea. 

ok, well I think that owners,thinking of football teams as traditional corporations is what makes those teams suck. Managing hot dogs or parking or anything truly business like is fine, but is 100% wrong for the football part in my opinion.

I don't know; he is a VP, not the GM; maybe it is all about managing the finances, PR, hot dogs and parking, it may be basically the same.  Does it say what his responsibilities are?

Guess the Browns are going to try sabermetrics.

My thoughts exactly. Analytics haven't hit the NFL yet like in MLB and NBA, maybe they're trying some outside the box thinking since they've fail at pretty much everything lol. I'm curious how that will work if that is indeed what will happen

well... Teams like the Packers, Giants and Steelers are run like well oiled corporations.

not sure your background but I have irked with some remarkable leaders in business. 

They are more fit than Tanny and those like him, 

I work in the restaurant industry. I just took a job in Alabama at a place thats more venue/restaurant. Lots of live music, etc...in the summer. I've dealt with bands before but not on this level. After I got here I saw that the owners have brought in quite a few new people from all different facets of the hospitality industry and it's really starting to come together. 

My point is, the fine dining guy can be just as good at dealing with a rock band as can the guy who's been dj'ing for 15 years. 

As long as this guy is doing the hiring, etc and not the actual scouting it's not a horrible idea. 

what the Fukk????   I was gonna come visit your bar in NYC?

what the Fukk????   I was gonna come visit your bar in NYC?

Priced the hell out of there after 10 years. I had some regulars telling me a 1 bedroom in Bay Ridge was going for $2000/month. Blue collar neighborhood, my ass. 

Anyway, I make like $5k less per year,   but yet i have have thousands more dollars to spend each month. The south is funny like that. 

Anyway, youre welcome to come visit me on the beach in Alabama. It's pretty alright here. My folks house in NC is like 9 hours from here. 

I totally agree. Except Haslam is going to fire him 10 seconds after he walks in the door when he realizes he's not Jonah Hill.

My thoughts exactly. Analytics haven't hit the NFL yet like in MLB and NBA, maybe they're trying some outside the box thinking since they've fail at pretty much everything lol. I'm curious how that will work if that is indeed what will happen

Get ready for the new era of NFL football, no punter or kicker required...

This has Fail written all over it.

Who does this guy know in the NFL?

I totally agree. Except Haslam is going to fire him 10 seconds after he walks in the door when he realizes he's not Jonah Hill.

Get ready for the new era of NFL football, no punter or kicker required...

So...hiring a lawyer with absolutely NO NFL experience except cap stuff (Tanny) is a good move?

I dont know DePodesta BUT assume he is a smart businessman.  If so...probably a better choice than half the executive VP's and GM's the JETS have hired.

Gary Bettman, NHL, was a basketball guy.  

So...hiring a lawyer with absolutely NO NFL experience except cap stuff (Tanny) is a good move?

I dont know DePodesta BUT assume he is a smart businessman.  If so...probably a better choice than half the executive VP's and GM's the JETS have hired.

Just jokes...

It was more a jab at Haslam's bumbling and impatience, not DePodesta. I'm pissed that he left the Mets, was hoping he'd supplant Ricco as the next-in-line when Alderson leaves. I think DePodesta and Sashi Brown will make a good tandem, if they get the time and space to work at it and not have to be pointing fingers at each other under immediate pressure to succeed on the field. I'm not optimistic though, I think Haslam is a terrible owner.

Football has intangables.

How do you measure heart?

oh yeah...only football men can do that.  Please..have you ever worked for a large company and a TRUE leader comes in?

I have.  I google names of the guys I started at PWC in NYC with and its incredible. they run Hedge funds, Billion dollar Real Estate companies, a few are CEO's of public companies.  At one point..someone called them an accountant.

When you see guys like this...you see it, you sense it, and you follow it.  Its rare and is not industry specific.

The guy played football and baseball. He did have some minor league job with the Baltimore Stallions.  They were a CFL team, but had some significance because Baltimore used them as proof that they could support another team after the Colts left.  I assume they are going to use this guy based upon his ability to judge scouts and apply the gay math sh*t to sports.  I don't think he is going to be scouting, but being able to read through the scouting reports and knowing who is good at sifting through all the bullsh*t in them is a skill too.

Hey cpa, Tannenbaum was an accountant that went to law school.  You're not a lawyer because you went to law school and then interned for some NY-Penn League affiliate of the Mets. Actually, I guess he's not an accountant either, but he does have the degrees.  He has made a decent amount of money, so I guess that .he has done quite well for himself.  He can't field a punt, but I can't find that gif anymore.

Yep.  Being self employed for 25 years I could not agree more.  Do what you do best and hire the rest .  

Archived