Bleacher report says jets don't want to pay fitz starter money

Persiussa

Don't have a link, the app texted me.  Says the jets want to keep fitz but don't really want to pay market value.  It also says that team mates have expressed interest in the jets getting competition for fitz as well.  Apparently the players might not be 100% all in on him after all.

Hope they are able to pull off an under market value deal.

dont know if that is that announcer (Jason Cole?) being told bad info, passing along useless stuff, or making something up ... But it doesn't make sense saying that some team-mates want someone better at QB ... Do I want someone better ? sure! Let me go and get Aaron Rodgers! Ohh, there isn't anyone better available ... Ok, I guess I'll deal with what I have then

Nothing groundbreaking here.  The Jets are playing the negotiating game with Fitz and should always be looking to bring in competition at the position.  Fitz was good but the fact remains we didn't win the Super Bowl, we didn't even make the playoffs, we should always be trying to get better every year at every position.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This is a two way street. We need Fitz, but Fitz needs the Jets. it's not like teams will be looking to sign Fitz to be their starter next year. Odds are the only teams interest in Fitz want him as a backup or to mentor a rookie high draft pick. 

Good point.

What team will want to bring Fitz in to start? I don't think he's quite the splash the LA Rams are looking for. Cleveland as a one year starter?  I'm sure Houston would love to have him back, but would Fitz want to go? 

Where else could he step in and start? 

Same Old Jets (TM) would screw this up.

Step 1:  Decide Fitz isn't worth it.

Step 2:  Fitz signs elsewhere.

Step 3:  There were no other options, declare Geno Smith starter. 

Step 4:  Go 1-5.

Step 5:  Mid-Season desperation trade for Kepernick.

Step 6:  Kapernick utter failure/injury two weeks later.

Step 7:  Go 3-13

OP Story is Fiction IMO, but we'll see how Same Old Jets we are at this point.

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Same Old Jets (TM) would screw this up.

Step 1:  Decide Fitz isn't worth it.

Step 2:  Fitz signs elsewhere.

Step 3:  There were no other options, declare Geno Smith starter. 

Step 4:  Go 1-5.

Step 5:  Mid-Season desperation trade for Kepernick.

Step 6:  Kapernick utter failure/injury two weeks later.

Step 7:  Go 3-13

OP Story is Fiction IMO, but we'll see how Same Old Jets we are at this point.

Considering 3-13 would give us a good shot at getting the #1 pick in next year's draft and getting a potential QB of the future (DeShawn Watson) that doesn't sound like a bad idea to me

1 hour ago, Persiussa said:

Don't have a link, the app texted me.  Says the jets want to keep fitz but don't really want to pay market value.  It also says that team mates have expressed interest in the jets getting competition for fitz as well.  Apparently the players might not be 100% all in on him after all.

It's called knowing what you are doing.  

Only the most delusional of Jets fans think that Fitz is the "answer".  

The plain truth is it would be great to have Fitz back at a reasonable amount but let's not act like he was Johnny Unitas last year.  

If Denver or some other team thinks Fitz is worth 13 million dollars so be it but the Jets don't have to act like some teenager with a band crush cause a team or two might act insane.  

Fitz wasn't even slated to be the starter on the Jets last year and let's see how he does absent Chan designing plays for him to shine with. 

He wins anything here in the metropolitan area, even a playoff game and the dude is set for his post playing days as well.  

So let's see how this plays out. 

Not sure about any accuracy with Bleacher Report. But what they're saying  makes sense esp since they still haven't made a deal yet. It could be just a natural part in negotiating. But if true what it says is that the Jets would rather pay Wilk then their starting Qb. Now who in 2015 made a bigger contribution for the Jets: Fitz or Wilk?

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Not sure about any accuracy with Bleacher Report. But what they're saying  makes sense esp since they still haven't made a deal yet. It could be just a natural part in negotiating. But if true what it says is that the Jets would rather pay Wilk then their starting Qb. Now who in 2015 made a bigger contribution for the Jets: Fitz or Wilk?

When looking at this the front office should be looking at who will make a bigger contribution in 2016 and 2017.

Unless Your gonna sign Oswiler which I would agree with - You better sign Fitz. 

This Season was the first time it was fun to watch football in a long time. We havn't had a capable offense in a really long time. If theres a position to overpay by a few million it QB. Just get some type of deal done with one of the above. 

4 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Unless Your gonna sign Oswiler which I would agree with - You better sign Fitz. 

This Season was the first time it was fun to watch football in a long time. We havn't had a capable offense in a really long time. If theres a position to overpay by a few million it QB. Just get some type of deal done with one of the above. 

Fun isnt the same as making the playoffs. 

Oswiler would be a great QB signing or Kaepernick. 

1 hour ago, King P said:

Considering 3-13 would give us a good shot at getting the #1 pick in next year's draft and getting a potential QB of the future (DeShawn Watson) that doesn't sound like a bad idea to me

Same Old Jets Fan:  Always Rooting for Losses and Playing for Three Years From Now.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Fun isnt the same as making the playoffs. 

Your not making the playoffs with Geno Smith. You have zero shot of winning any playoff games without a QB. 

We will replace Mo. We will replace Snacks. We will NOT replace a 30 TD QB. Signing Osweiler would be cool be hes young with upside outside of those two we might as well dump this season if Geno is starting. 

3 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Good point.

What team will want to bring Fitz in to start? I don't think he's quite the splash the LA Rams are looking for. Cleveland as a one year starter?  I'm sure Houston would love to have him back, but would Fitz want to go? 

Where else could he step in and start? 

denver? they showed they can win a sb without a top qb. if peyton retires why not throw some cash at fitz. im sure fitz would be def interested in going to a team that just won a sb

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

The team not being all into paying Fitzpatrick I can understand, but the players  not being all in on Fitzpatrick I don't get . 

I do. They see what a lot of fans miss or ignore, like the way he never pretty much never surveys the field. His progressions go: (1) WR target 1 (2) RB (3) run. Which is why on 3rd & very short, if there's a play call to go deep if he can catch the D off-guard defending the underneath stuff, he throws it even if the receiver is covered. He just doesn't see the field, and a guy with his intelligence and experience, in a familiar offense, should be far better at that by now. With Fitz, investing in more targets is almost pointless; at best all it does is make it more difficult for the D to double up on Marshall or Decker. But from the time the ball is snapped, the primary target is the only target out of the backfield. 

He's tough, he's a good guy, a good and likable team leader, and that has more weight than just what he does (or doesn't do) on the field. He's worth bringing back at $8M (or less) because with the cap as high as it is and with how easily a starter can get injured, $8M isn't out of line for a guy you want to be the backup, but with whom the season's not over if he has to come in and mop up for a month or two. And they certainly don't want to go into mid-March - let alone the draft - with just Geno and Petty on the roster, forcing our hand in the draft for need today, which is how you end up drafting bust QBs. But more than $8M (or significantly more than that) creates pressure to start him based on compensation, and it's just too much to allot for him. He's just too limited. At $3.5M he was an incredible bargain. At "going starter money rate" ($15M plus) he's removing $7-10 million that the team needs to spend elsewhere to overcome the QB's limitations.

Unless the Broncos' 2015 defense magically manifests itself in green and white, the best option - really the only option - to get where we want is to find someone else better to QB the team. Fitz is a good temporary/bridge QB to have - a very good one to have - until that next QB presents himself (if Petty eventually develops into one, or it's a new one the team drafts or acquires through other means), but the team can't be financially tied to Fitzpatrick for a minute longer than absolutely necessary. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Same Old Jets Fan:  Always Rooting for Losses and Playing for Three Years From Now.

As opposed to looking forwards towards mediocrity. Same old Jets fan, acting like we're too good to tank

Archived