Gather your pitchforks, light your torches...

sirlancemehlot

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I think the opposite is the case. Maccagnan inherited an 4-12 embarrassment captained by two buffoons, so fielding anything remotely resembling a professional team last year would have been acceptable to most people. Instead he breaks the bank and wins 10 games, which sounds great, but actually shortens his leash. Part of this is the chokejob against the Bills, which means any residual good feelings about the season as a whole are shot through with anger and resentment. But the main problem is that our owner, media, and fans have a collective IQ in the mid-double digits, so they expect the arrow to constantly be pointing up, meaning that any patience that anyone may have had for a rebuild is now completely gone and if we don't make the playoffs next season, 2017 becomes do-or-die (leading to all sorts of delightful short-term fixes that the next guy will have to clean up, thus beginning the cycle anew). Right now, I'd say it's even money we have a new coach and GM in two years.

Disagree with you here, the 10 wins was a big thing and the team should have made the playoffs, they showed despite some faults that they could stay in the hunt with some deficiencies on the team.  You get more leash with wins than you do with slow growth.  It was not going to do much good to just sit on all the cap room to be honest.  As i've said before in the end Mac success or failure much like Idziks will be tied to the draft.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Beerfish said:

Disagree with you here, the 10 wins was a big thing and the team should have made the playoffs, they showed despite some faults that they could stay in the hunt with some deficiencies on the team.  You get more leash with wins than you do with slow growth.  It was not going to do much good to just sit on all the cap room to be honest.  As i've said before in the end Mac success or failure much like Idziks will be tied to the draft.

Marvin Lewis is the perfect example. No playoff wins yet he's still there

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I hope you're right, but if someone is making a pitchforks-and-torches thread now, I shudder to think what we'll see after we go 8-8 next year.

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I hope you're right, but if someone is making a pitchforks-and-torches thread now, I shudder to think what we'll see after we go 8-8 next year.

And then you look at New Englands cap situation....Collins, Brady, Gronk, Edelman, Hightower...all virtually make significantly lower than their market value. If Im Gronk or Jamie Collins there's no way I step foot on a field next year until that's resolved. But they're the Patriots and their guys would probably play for free.

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It did for a bit, but last couple of years, he's played well

This was the first year of his new contract at 31 years old making 7.5M. Next year/2016 it's essentially the same deal at age 32...guaranteed. I like David Harris too but he's overpaid.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Not to go all Integrity28 here, but I expressed some concerns last offseason about the logic behind signing older vets like Revis and Cromartie to expensive deals when he had a clean slate to work with, no QB, and (most importantly), could reasonably scapegoat a bad 2015 record on Rex and Idzik. Instead, he gave money to win-now guys when the team isn't ready to win, and now they're in purgatory. Maccagnan better have a few tricks up his sleeve--particularly with the QB position--or this regime is about to be on the hot seat as soon as next year.

You lack the je ne sais quoi of that other guy.... but solid points, and I'm not sure you were the only one concerned with it. I know one person was really high on extending some of the guys we're now faced with losing, so that we could spend to the cap, without totally taking on new player contracts.

People are forgetting that the structure of the free agent deals we HAD to do are very cap friendly in year 3, so neXT year's contract.

The more I look at it the more I think that some time,this week, we will either trade Mo or remove the franchise tag. No other options really.

1 hour ago, sirlancemehlot said:

But it's not about free agency. That was last year clearly. Not getting Mo under contract while throwing buckets of cash at guys like Buster Skrine when you already had a lot of cash tied up in CB...bad job.  Going from first to worst with the cap and not retaining Harrison, a home grown talent...bad job.  Losing your starting QB because you've only got 6mil in cap room after only one year.  Bad job.   Neg-me up fellas.  I can take it. Neg rep only ensures posters won't state an unpopular opinion.  Quickest route to a homers-only board if you ask me. 

You do make good points especially regarding Mo, but some of that seems to be Monday morning quarterbacking.  They signed Skrine first and then got Revis, if I recall.  We definitely could have passed on Cromartie, though.  Last year at this time the starting qb was already under contract (Smith) and no one NO ONE could have predicted that Fitz would have the year he did.  

Lets see how things play out.  It is only the first day of FA.

20 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

You do make good points especially regarding Mo, but some of that seems to be Monday morning quarterbacking.  They signed Skrine first and then got Revis, if I recall.  We definitely could have passed on Cromartie, though.  Last year at this time the starting qb was already under contract (Smith) and no one NO ONE could have predicted that Fitz would have the year he did.  

Lets see how things play out.  It is only the first day of FA.

Mo according to a FO snitch said from day 1 he wanted a Watt plus type contract and until Mo his agent and Mac deny it I believe that with 50 million available last year he wasn't signed.. 

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Just curious if mac still has the confidence of the board. Not calling out anyone. This was started pre free agency and now we've had some time and a draft to judge. 

Why do we need a referendum on our GM every 6 weeks? 

He turned a bad team into a 10-6 team in  year 1. There hasn't been a year 2. Can you twitter generation posters learn some patience? 

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He turned a bad team into a 10-6 team in  year 1. There hasn't been a year 2. Can you twitter generation posters learn some patience? 

Sorry.  It was a question for Jets fans on a Jets board regarding the General Manager of the Jets.  I thought it was a reasonable topic for discussion that might be revisited after free agency, off-season moves and the draft.  

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You're right. So how did everyone like Civil War?

He's not perfect (may have botched FA signings relative to comp picks for example), but overall doing a solid job.  I don't expect perfection.  I expect competence and by George, I believe we have that and more!

23 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Just curious if mac still has the confidence of the board. Not calling out anyone. This was started pre free agency and now we've had some time and a draft to judge. 

We went from 4-12 to 10-6 in one season...

He has my confidence until he proves otherwise....we have to be patient and let this materialize

One thing I will say is that the honeymoon period is over..

Have to admit, he won GM of the year because of Fitzpatrick and Brandon Marshall.  He inherited enough cap space to turn over the entire secondary and had the #6 pick in the draft.  But because Marshell was so good he elevated the play of Fitz, Macc was recognized.

But during his award winning innagrual season, he mishandled Wilkerson and in hindsight, our offensive line.  

This year he may be doing a better job but because of the Wilkerson/Fitzpatrick hold outs and D'Brick's retirement, the team is left desperate for Clady to stay healthy and Geno to be, well not Geno.  

It remains to be seen, but if everything doesn't go perfectly this season, GM of the year or not, he'll have no playoffs to show for it.

This is the last year of the four year cycle in the new CBA that allows teams to carry space or borrow from the future. There is no carry over into 2017 (as I understand it), so this is the right year to be strapped up against the cap. Next year is a clean slate, and the start of a new four year cycle. 

And the Jets have a lot of wiggle room in 2017. Revis has a $13M salary, only $6M is guaranteed. Clady has a $10M salary, Richardson $8M, Mangold $6M, Marshall $7.5M, David Harris $6.5M - none of which is guaranteed. The Jets could save close to $4M each by cutting Skrine and Breno. $2M each for Folk and Erin Henderson. 

The depths of their alleged cap hell are dramatically overstated here. 

38 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

I don't think he got us enough Fast twitch guys, I think we should hire the PFF guys as our GM and win some SB's!!

18 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Sorry.  It was a question for Jets fans on a Jets board regarding the General Manager of the Jets.  I thought it was a reasonable topic for discussion that might be revisited after free agency, off-season moves and the draft.  

You asked whether the board still has confidence in him. What could have transpired since you started this awful thread to render Mac less competent? He made some draft picks/signed free agents. None have played a down of football for the Jets. Can we at least see some of these guys play before we determine if Mac has done a good job or not.  

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:08 PM, Charlie Brown said:

Our guy wins GM of the year and now he is bum......

Come on.....

He didn't win GM of the year. He 'won' executive of the year.  For what that's worth, Jerry Jones won the same award the year before.  Not exactly something to brag about. 

24 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Sorry, you've been trying to get the board to agree with you, to turn on Macc for months. 

It wasn't reasonable a couple of months after he was voted GM of the year, isn't any more reasonable two months later.  

You liked Idzik and hate Macc.  That kind of says it all. 

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:04 PM, sirlancemehlot said:

Because I'm going to do the unthinkable.  Criticize Mike Macagnan.  I hated Tannenbaum because he pissed away money (read: cap space) like a drunken sailor.  Well.  Idzik, love him or hate him, he fixed the Tannenbaum problem.  He cut dead weight,  signed very few, and turned the Jets cap into one of the best situations in the league, from one of the worst.  One year removed and we're in the worst cap hell in the league.  And we're about to lose our starting running back, nose tackle, quarterback, and already cut our #2 corner.  This isn't Idzik vs. Mac.  It's Mac vs. 31 other GM's in the league.  Take a deep breath now, and give me running start...Mac did a bad job.  

Now after most of the offseason has concluded, I am in complete agreement with you. Mac was an idiot with the draft. The team lost two very good players and Mac did a piss poor job backfilling. It was a noble attempt at trying to sway the pendulum, but ultimately failure. This team is much worse now on paper than they were at any point last season. As I've said many times already, the GM's job is not to replace roster losses. The job is to replace roster losses and simultaneously make the team better year by year. The job is to win the SB not shoot for 10-6 every season. And actually he even failed miserably at that because this team is no better than about 6 wins as of right now.

2 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Now after most of the offseason has concluded, I am in complete agreement with you. Mac was an idiot with the draft. The team lost two very good players and Mac did a piss poor job backfilling. It was a noble attempt at trying to sway the pendulum, but ultimately failure. This team is much worse now on paper than they were at any point last season. As I've said many times already, the GM's job is not to replace roster losses. The job is to replace roster losses and simultaneously make the team better year by year. The job is to win the SB not shoot for 10-6 every season. And actually he even failed miserably at that because this team is no better than about 6 wins as of right now.

Can you share your thoughts on how Mac should have handled the draft to accomplish the goals you have set forth for him? 

29 minutes ago, slats said:

This is the last year of the four year cycle in the new CBA that allows teams to carry space or borrow from the future. There is no carry over into 2017 (as I understand it), so this is the right year to be strapped up against the cap. Next year is a clean slate, and the start of a new four year cycle. 

And the Jets have a lot of wiggle room in 2017. Revis has a $13M salary, only $6M is guaranteed. Clady has a $10M salary, Richardson $8M, Mangold $6M, Marshall $7.5M, David Harris $6.5M - none of which is guaranteed. The Jets could save close to $4M each by cutting Skrine and Breno. $2M each for Folk and Erin Henderson. 

The depths of their alleged cap hell are dramatically overstated here. 

They actually stand to be in pretty good cap shape next year.

I expect the team to be worse this year record wise, but possibly better positioned for the long term.  That's how the GM should be judged at this time...

Just now, BowlesMovement said:

Can you share your thoughts on how Mac should have handled the draft to accomplish the goals you have set forth for him? 

Well, first of all I do think he should have taken an OL. There were a lot of targets for the 2nd round. The Darron Lee pick makes no sense whatsoever. He's a small fry trying to play in a 3-4 alignment. The guy can fly around the field, but I think his best fit is as a Safety. I would have traded down out of the 1st round and gathered more picks rather than selecting a guy that is miscast in this defense

I would have also found a trade partner for Mo. The fact is now he's going to highjack our salary cap and leave after this season anyway. That's an automatic "F" for Mac IMO. Mo was/is the franchise and getting nothing for him is inexcuseable. If he had traded him we could have accumulated more picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I would have selected Jason Spriggs in the 2nd round or tried to trade up and grab Laremy Tunsil. Under any circumstances, I would have selected a TE. Like Tyler Higbee or Jerron Lee in the 4th round. That would have been for starts. 

I was a big Macc supporter last year, and think at this point nothing but an incomplete would be fair as far as the off season has gone, since it is not over.  Having said that...

On the plus side I like the Clady move since it was time for Ferguson to go, and IF he stays healthy, Clady should be an actual upgrade.

How good the draft was?  Too early to tell, but at least there were no major F'ups in it.  So that's good.  And id does look like the picks should bring youth and speed at linebacker, where both were needed.

But there are also reasons for concern.  Wilkerson is one of them, although here Wilkerson and his agent probably deserve most of the blame.  But despite that we can say that Macc has not been able to resolve the situation favorably, and the odds of it ending badly for the Jets I am afraid are fairly high.

I get cutting Cro after another injury-riddled season for him, but who the #2 Cb is at this point is a concern for me even if most are satisfied with the depth there.

I consider #3 wideout the most important bench player on O, and I don't know who that is as of now.

But highest on the concern list is the Qb situation.  This will go in Macc's favor if Fitz comes back at a reasonable number.  But even so I don't like the way the FO has handled this.  If Smith ends up starting I give them a big fat F for that alone.

3 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I was a big Macc supporter last year, and think at this point nothing but an incomplete would be fair as far as the off season has gone, since it is not over.  Having said that...

On the plus side I like the Clady move since it was time for Ferguson to go, and IF he stays healthy, Clady should be an actual upgrade.

How good the draft was?  Too early to tell, but at least there were no major F'ups in it.  So that's good.  And id does look like the picks should bring youth and speed at linebacker, where both were needed.

But there are also reasons for concern.  Wilkerson is one of them, although here Wilkerson and his agent probably deserve most of the blame.  But despite that we can say that Macc has not been able to resolve the situation favorably, and the odds of it ending badly for the Jets I am afraid are fairly high.

I get cutting Cro after another injury-riddled season for him, but who the #2 Cb is at this point is a concern for me even if most are satisfied with the depth there.

I consider #3 wideout the most important bench player on O, and I don't know who that is as of now.

But highest on the concern list is the Qb situation.  This will go in Macc's favor if Fitz comes back at a reasonable number.  But even so I don't like the way the FO has handled this.  If Smith ends up starting I give them a big fat F for that alone.

I don't get the Wilkerson issue.  Shouldn't we be happy that we kept our best player?  We're paying him a lot this year, but we still can potentially resign him and we also can still franchise and trade him again.

I guess I'm not all that disappointed we didn't lose a guy who's a top player (Yes, I know he's not JJ Watt) on the field for a draft pick that we could all complain about when he isn't the guy we wanted.

Archived