love me some forte

kmnj

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He won't be there by 20. His draft stock is rising as we speak.

Okay then we draft another top back within the the first 4 rounds and call it day. I am definitely not looking to break the bank on any over the hill running backs.... 

10 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Giving 30 year-old running backs their last big pay day always works out well......

What makes you think Forte is going to get a "big pay day"? If  he demands a 6 or 7 million dollar deal then we can't afford him anyway. If he is willing to settle for something in the 2-3 million a  year range, why not? He hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. His yards per carry/catch were along the lines of his career averages. And in 13 games, splitting time with Langford, he did what most Jets RBs couldn't do in a full season. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What makes you think Forte is going to get a "big pay day"? If  he demands a 6 or 7 million dollar deal then we can't afford him anyway. If he is willing to settle for something in the 2-3 million a  year range, why not? He hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. His yards per carry/catch were along the lines of his career averages. And in 13 games, splitting time with Langford, he did what most Jets RBs couldn't do in a full season. 

$2-3 million?  When the inferior Ivory gets $6.5?  Not going to happen.

16 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Giving 30 year-old running backs their last big pay day always works out well......

He's still a very valuable asset as a pass catcher, especially if we have to start a weak armed QB with accuracy issues

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Ivory got $6 million.  You're naive if you think Forte wants less than that.  

I agree that we have to draft a RB but that's risky, bringing in a guy like Forte could be a good insurance policy at the right price of course.  While RB is probably one of the easier positions for draft picks to make an immediate impact it's still risky and with Powell's injury history it would make sense to bring in a veteran guy at the right price.  Forte was having a good year until he got hurt.

58 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We do not need a 30 year old RB.

You have to look at Forte as more of a WR. He'll catch 60 balls in this offense, making us much, much better on 3rd down. Early-down work will go to a different RB. We're a 2 RB system, and I hope this year we have better fits in both roles.

27 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I am normally lock-step with this point of view... and could be horribly wrong this time... but I don't agree with Forte. I think he's got plenty left in  his receiving role.

6 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

forte is about done. waste of money. powell will give better production

While I don't disagree that I'd rather have Powell than Forte to match with a middle round draft pick, thinking Forte is "about done" is kind of silly. Still some tread on those tires and will likely latch on to a team that can use him effectively.

43 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

While I don't disagree that I'd rather have Powell than Forte to match with a middle round draft pick, thinking Forte is "about done" is kind of silly. Still some tread on those tires and will likely latch on to a team that can use him effectively.

idk. since we are signing him i guess i'll have to hope im wrong. no way he is an every down type anymore thats for sure

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

Ivory got $6 million.  You're naive if you think Forte wants less than that.  

Now who's naive?

Ed Werder ✔‎@Edwerderespn

Believe #Jets signed Matt Forte for approx $2M less than Chris Ivory leaving for in JAX and Todd Bowles gets better pass game contributor

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Forte is not a prototypical RB.  Being 30 for him does not mean the same thing as a prototypical RB.  IMO, he has 3-5 good years in him.

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

These old ass running backs are getting paid WAY too much!  E. Elliot is looking better and better.... 

We have done well with old running backs. Thomas Jones and LT. Forte brings something big to the table. Ivory could only run downhill and didn't have a second gear..until this season. Forte can run the ball and catch it. With Chan's system, Forte became a serious threat. Forte > Ivory > Bilal

3 hours ago, pointman said:

We have done well with old running backs. Thomas Jones and LT. Forte brings something big to the table. Ivory could only run downhill and didn't have a second gear..until this season. Forte can run the ball and catch it. With Chan's system, Forte became a serious threat. Forte > Ivory > Bilal

Fair enough as long as it was a reasonable sum... 

2 hours ago, pointman said:

It was less than one trick Ivory. Forte had a combined 7, 10, 12 td's last three seasons. Forte > Ivory. And cheaper. 

It's more than that. Now we can cross off another "we MUST draft the ___ position" in the first 2 rounds. If value is there, grab it. If not, it's not an emergency anymore.

12 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

Forte replaces Ivory and Powell in one fell swoop and cashes only one paycheck per month.  The time is right to draft a primo RB early and that's exactly what they will do. 

How early is early?  I would hate to draft a RB in the 1st round (prob not even in the 2nd round).

Archived