Jeremy Kerley’s Time With Jets Comes to Close

JetNation

IMG_0066

By Glenn Naughton

The New York Jets have cut ties with wide receiver Jeremy Kerley, a move that hardly comes as a surprise after the former TCU product was essentially phased out of Chan Gailey’s offense.

Kerley was a rarity for the Jets, a productive mid-round draft pick, something they haven’t had many of in recent years.  Chosen in the 5th round of the 2011 NFL draft, Kerley was one of the team’s most reliable receivers and a lone bright spot on some of the worst offenses the Jets have ever produced.

Kerley’s most impressive work came in 2012 when he became the team’s top pass catcher following a slew of injuries to the wide receiving corps.  Kerley would total 827 yards on 56 receptions that season, but he would never come close to those numbers again, needing the next three seasons to eclipse the 800 yard mark.

A man without a role in 2015, Kerley was relegated to punt return duties with a few reps at wide receiver sprinkled in, leading to just 16 catches for 152 yards and 2 touchdowns.  The move saves the Jets $1.3 million in cap room.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
TNIiO5EFTxk

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Something happened. He wasn't such a terrible receiver that he couldn't be on the field with the offense. 

Just weird that nothing leaked. All I can remember is he expressed some frustration at his role. I think any competitor would. Especially if it was as inexplicable to him as it was to us. If he pissed someone off or was a terrible teammate you would think someone like Mehta would've gotten a whiff of something and then just filled in the gaps using his imagination and a hit of LSD.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Just weird that nothing leaked. All I can remember is he expressed some frustration at his role. I think any competitor would. Especially if it was as inexplicable to him as it was to us. If he pissed someone off or was a terrible teammate you would think someone like Mehta would've gotten a whiff of something and then just filled in the gaps using his imagination and a hit of LSD.

It was strange, no doubt.

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

I still don't understand this one. He's a solid 3rd/4th receiver. Was he asking for too much money?

He was under contract. Problem is the team never used him as he was under Rex so objectively he wasn't worth his contract value. But the question is why didn't they use him? I think we're all confused maybe he knocked up Bowles' daughter or something.

14 minutes ago, jgb said:

Low level coaches have what is known as the dog house, they put players in their dog house to make

themselves feel important, only problem is it hurts the team by limiting the roster, there is no excuse for

what happened, I have no confidence in a sh*t head like Gaily and Bowles is also  an F hole.   Our coaches are

low level morons.

Low level coaches have what is known as the dog house, they put players in their dog house to make

themselves feel important, only problem is it hurts the team by limiting the roster, there is no excuse for

what happened, I have no confidence in a sh*t head like Gaily and Bowles is also  an F hole.   Our coaches are

low level morons.

You're obviously right about him being in the dog house. My theory for most of the year was that he just didn't gel with Fitzpatrick for some reason. But when he got his chances he produced so it's gotta be an issue with the coaches. As far as the low level morons opinion boy I hope not we have had enough of those litter our history. For the most part the coaching staff seems competent and deliberative so I hope this is just one of those things and an aberration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, 77DRAFT said:

low level morons.

Totes.

Chan Gailey? More like Chan Fagley. And Macc? He's such a C hole.

Kerley shoulda been Captain.

22 minutes ago, jgb said:

You're obviously right about him being in the dog house. My theory for most of the year was that he just didn't gel with Fitzpatrick for some reason. But when he got his chances he produced so it's gotta be an issue with the coaches. As far as the low level morons opinion boy I hope not we have had enough of those litter our history. For the most part the coaching staff seems competent and deliberative so I hope this is just one of those things and an aberration.

Last season Gaily did a horrible job with the game plans, use of persnnell and play calling, how many games did

we get shut out in the first half, did the play calling change ? NO.  Did he switch things up ? No.

MM was a much  better coordinator, when Rex wasn't calling the plays himself, Gaily is lazy, very lazy.

The Pats next slot receiver book it.

Would be a perfect fit in that dink and dunk attack. Come to think of it should've been a perfect fit in our dink and dunk attack :)

1 hour ago, 77DRAFT said:

low level morons.

Alrighty then. I will let Bill Parcells know you think he is a low level head coach.

Gailey is simply inflexible. He decided Kerley was a bad fit and limited his touches to prove it. He decided that Fitz should throw all day vs Buffalo and stuck to that plan even when the weather called for a ground attack. Then he limited Ivory's touches. Which none of us understood. The party line was "game plan".  But it was Gailey refusing to adapt.  Kerley suffered Gailey's stubbornness. And Bowles never stepped in. 

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Chan Gailey likes big receivers across the field.  With Decker handling the slot role, there wasn't much of a place for Kerley.  Not much more to it than that. 

that, and the fact that Kerley is a Jag who could never separate from defenders (including slower LBs).  

He was useless as a punt returner as well.  Addition by subtraction.

8 hours ago, Jets_Win said:

I never got why Kerley was underutilized by Gailey; the guy has sure hands. I also never understood why posters on here maligned him as just a JAG. I wish him the best and hope he catches on with a team that will use him.

JAG=Just Avg Guy, which is exactly what Kerley is.  He's not a bad player, he's not a great player.  He's a JAG.  I wish him the best as well, but let's not hold him in some undeserved reverence. 

16 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

JAG=Just Avg Guy, which is exactly what Kerley is.  He's not a bad player, he's not a great player.  He's a JAG.  I wish him the best as well, but let's not hold him in some undeserved reverence. 

Huh.  I thought it was just another guy.  Nonetheless Kerley is gone and I don't care .

No great loss.  Kerley was a JAG, but because he was OUR JAG, on a myriad of poor talented WR teams, he is valued by some far FAR higher than his actual skill-set or contribution.

He's a 33 Slot WR at best.  He's not better than Marshall.  He's not better than Decker.  He's got much less upside than our hurt rookie from last year.  And he costs too much.

This was a very predictable move, and a reasonable one.  He's the last regimes guy.  We're not that team, we're strong at WR, and likely to get stronger this coming draft (mid-late rounds).

We'll be fine.

I always liked Kerley the WR....Kerley the PR I can do without...I wish him well. 

It was clear early on that he was the odd man out in Gailey's offense. He's more of a slot guy, and Gailey likes to put the bigger WR there(Decker, BMarsh), and he really can't play on the outside....

8 hours ago, The Troll said:

Oh yeah, I'm sure he'll just waltz right in there and take Edelman's job.

Yeah ordinarily I'd think he was a good fit but they already have 2 slot WRs in Edelman and they other guy who's name I'm drawing a blank on. The guy who can't stay on the field, from the Rams, who was initially supposed to be the Welker replacement.

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Chan Gailey likes big receivers across the field.  With Decker handling the slot role, there wasn't much of a place for Kerley.  Not much more to it than that. 

End thread...

It was plain as day. Don't know why Jet fans were trying to make this into a reality TV show situation all year. Of course he was upset, he wanted to get on the field but that doesn't mean he was in any doghouse....

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meh, this is the same guy that drafted T.J. Graham while at Buffalo. 

This Kerley situation was weird. 

Archived