Hoyer Is Now A Free Agent

KRL

14 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

If you start a QB before he's ready you will ruin him. Haven't we learned that yet? Petty was working on taking the ball from center last year. Until he has mastered the mechanics, and can start thinking about reading defenses he should sit and learn. I like everything I've seen from him, but we still need a veteran at this point.

Bortles is by no means a done deal and he was the 3rd pick in the draft. We prematurely inducted RG3, Kaepernick, and Foles into the HOF and look at them now. Those are just 3 recent examples. 

Well foles was running chip Kelly's college system before anyone figured it out, kaepernicks skill position players became sh*t, and rg3 has injury problems.

im not saying we should start a  guy who can't read a defense, I'm talking about flaws like overthrowing, staring down receivers, decision making, instead of starting an old 34 year old journeyman who does it or a concussion prone sh*t show hoyer with a young QB with these receivers and running backs, it would be very helpful for them to grow

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Well foles was running chip Kelly's college system before anyone figured it out, kaepernicks skill position players became sh*t, and rg3 has injury problems.

im not saying we should start a  guy who can't read a defense, I'm talking about flaws like overthrowing, staring down receivers, decision making, instead of starting an old 34 year old journeyman who does it or a concussion prone sh*t show hoyer with a young QB with these receivers and running backs, it would be very helpful for them to grow

Listen I cannot wait to see how Petty has progressed in preseason. If he's ready to go then by all means, I'd love to have him as the face of the franchise. He is a project though, and chances are he will take another year to be ready to start reading defenses, and then may not be able to do it. He has all the tangibles, and intangibles, but if we go into the season with him as our #1 option then we are really unprepared. 

1 hour ago, LockeJET said:

One thing I know for a fact is this.. We offered more then Denver.. Denver doesn't want to pay Fitz whatever the Jets offer is...But if the Jets move on from Fitz and sign Hoyer, Fitz will be in Denver for around 7-8 mil per on a 3 year deal.

Fitz is potentially looking at unemployment if he doesn't agree to a contract with the Jets. Denver's first is still Kaepernick. If they get that trade done, and the Jets go with Hoyer, Fitz is looking at backup pay or retirement. 

And remember, the Jets preferred Hoyer last year. Hoyer picked the Texans, and the Jets only then traded for Fitz. If Hoyer is willing to sign to be the stopgap here for $5M, I don't see why they wouldn't do that. It's obvious (to everyone but Fitz and his agent) that the Jets want to get better than Fitz at QB ASAP. There's no reason to break the bank for Fitz given their lukewarm feelings for him. I honestly don't think that Gailey, Marshall, Decker, Forte, Powell will do all that much -if at all- worse with Hoyer over Fitz. Hoyer may even be able to get Devin Smith involved. 

Especially of these reports that the team is looking to trade up for a QB are true. They'll certainly want that guy starting by next year. 

58 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Hoyer isn't mediocre he's horrible

he's a cheaper Fitz and the man has a winning record in CLEVELAND.

we aren't winning SBs w/ either of these guys but if Fitz wants more money then the wise choice would be a cheap Hoyer.

53 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Listen I cannot wait to see how Petty has progressed in preseason. If he's ready to go then by all means, I'd love to have him as the face of the franchise. He is a project though, and chances are he will take another year to be ready to start reading defenses, and then may not be able to do it. He has all the tangibles, and intangibles, but if we go into the season with him as our #1 option then we are really unprepared. 

This is a big deal to the Jets and should be to any Jet fan

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Sounds about right. Draft a QB and sign Fitz, or Hoyer until he or Petty is ready. 

Hoyer has more potential, but Fitz is a much better role model. Smarter, and does all the little things a QB should do, like keep on his players off the field. Either one, I think will look pretty good in this offense, but always leave the feeling that we could do better. Hoyer still has a slim chance for the light to come on. Fitz is more likeable and knows the system.

I think it will end up 8mil for Fitz, or 6mil for Hoyer. We could defer some of that in a 2 year deal. If all goes well we will still need a quality veteran backup next year. 

This pov and others like it here are so on the money I can't see the logic of arguing against it.  On all counts.

Petty from all indications is not ready, but MAY be the answer at Qb.  Just not likely it is this year.  And it's too important a position not to draft a Qb this year assuming a candidate comes close to BPA when he falls to the Jets' pick.

As for Hoyer v. Fitzpatrick, I also prefer Fitz, but not at too great a spread on the contract price.  If the numbers end up as you refer to, then that will drive what the Jets do.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

And why do the haters care so much about how much he makes, anyways. It's not as if it's coming out of your pockets unless your name is Woodrow B. Johnson.

Hopefully you are not serious with this statement. Paying Fitz more money means less players in general, and certainly less developmental players on the Jets roster. If the Jets signed Fitz for say $12 million which is $5 million over what they offer, then we could wind up with significantly less depth at 5 or more positions which hurts depth, player development and special teams. Fitz is just not good enough to warrant paying him enough that it affects the overall makeup of the rest of the team on any level.

3 hours ago, LockeJET said:

COne thing I know for a fact is this.. We offered more then Denver.. Denver doesn't want to pay Fitz whatever the Jets offer is...But if the Jets move on from Fitz and sign Hoyer, Fitz will be in Denver for around 7-8 mil per on a 3 year deal.

Where did you see anywhere that Denver made fitz an offer? They werent interested

Just now, cant wait said:

Where did you see anywhere that Denver made fitz an offer? They werent interested

Elway knows what he is doing, it makes no sense for him to offer a decent size deal to Fitz when he can get similar(or better) play from others for less.  

Just now, The Crusher said:

Just shocking to me that everybody doesn;t see this.  For some reason it seem a QB is rated like 30% better than he is just because he is NOT on the Jets yet. 

His stats last year look very similar to Fitz's the year before we signed him. Plus he got his team to the postseason. Stunk in the game, but he got them there.

9 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

His stats last year look very similar to Fitz's the year before we signed him. Plus he got his team to the postseason. Stunk in the game, but he got them there.

You do realize he played in the AFC South right? And he lost his job to Mallett just to get it back and play sorry.

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

No but it's just plain stupid to diss the Qb who ran the best O we've had in years. If they don't sign him I'd sign Hoyer. But to me Fitz is worth the extra cash. And why do the haters care so much about how much he makes, anyways. It's not as if it's coming out of your pockets unless your name is Woodrow B. Johnson.

I actually think we could get Hoyer for 6 mil. No one else wants him as a starter.

If Fitz comes back for the right price then it's Fitz.  It's not Fitz v.s Hoyer!

W/o Fitz, it comes down to Hoyer vs Geno.  I'd save the 4-5M and give Geno his shot because of: weapons, knows OC/system, contract year/ready.  

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You do realize he played in the AFC South right? And he lost his job to Mallett just to get it back and play sorry.

So did Fitzpatrick the year before. All I'm saying is that Hoyer looks alot like Fitz the year before we signed him.

The poster above is right. If Fitz isnt coming back, would you rather see Geno or Hoyer?

12 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I really believe that Petty is the answer at QB. 

So I say relax Jets fans we have our franchise QB, we just have to get him on the field... :) 

As mentioned in your first video, it might take him an additional year to transition from the run-and-shoot offense he ran at Baylor to an NFL system.  We need another year of competition from a stop-gap guy (like Fitzy, Hoyer, or McCown), and should also be looking to the draft to find someone else, so that we go into 2017 as one of those teams with only two QBs on roster. 

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

So did Fitzpatrick the year before. All I'm saying is that Hoyer looks alot like Fitz the year before we signed him.

The poster above is right. If Fitz isnt coming back, would you rather see Geno or Hoyer?

I just think Fitz has always been the superior QB not that it is saying much. But I'd rather see a Rookie out there instead of either Geno and Hoyer.

14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

same as Fitz, put up similar #s but Hoyer had a winning record as a starter under C for Houston which Fitz did not.

I think everyone would prefer Fitz, he knows this system, he has the trust and respect of his teammates BUT the bottom line is w/ a creampuff sched last year and everything breaking perfect he still couldn't get us to the playoffs.  He has the right to ask for whatever amount of money he wants to ask for and we have the right tow ant him back at a certain #.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

I just think Fitz has always been the superior QB not that it is saying much. But I'd rather see a Rookie out there instead of either Geno and Hoyer.

Depends on the rookie. Goff would be the only QB I would feel comfortable starting Week 1, maybe Wentz too. Any of the others, I would be nervous.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

same as Fitz, put up similar #s but Hoyer had a winning record as a starter under C for Houston which Fitz did not.

I think everyone would prefer Fitz, he knows this system, he has the trust and respect of his teammates BUT the bottom line is w/ a creampuff sched last year and everything breaking perfect he still couldn't get us to the playoffs.  He has the right to ask for whatever amount of money he wants to ask for and we have the right tow ant him back at a certain #.

I'm tired of hearing #'s. Brian Hoyer isn't the guy. Not even stop gap material. Like I said I would rather throw a rookie in then have Hoyer under center.

25 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Depends on the rookie. Goff would be the only QB I would feel comfortable starting Week 1, maybe Wentz too. Any of the others, I would be nervous.

I have the same opinion of Goff. Really hope Rams go with Wentz and we trade up. Unlikely though.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I'm tired of hearing #'s. Brian Hoyer isn't the guy. Not even stop gap material. Like I said I would rather throw a rookie in then have Hoyer under center.

I don't care about #s either, I care about wins.  Hoyer had a winning record in CLEVELAND.  Both he and Fitz are nothing more than stop gaps.  we aren't winning anything w/ either.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I don't care about #s either, I care about wins.  Hoyer had a winning record in CLEVELAND.  Both he and Fitz are nothing more than stop gaps.  we aren't winning anything w/ either.

Exactly why it is Rookie or bust and I think Maccag knows that and that's why we tried to move up. Really going to be interesting on draft day.

13 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I really believe that Petty is the answer at QB. 

Why are so many down on this guy? The truth is IMO Petty was just as good Mariota when he came out.  The idea that he was a JAG isn't true and on draft night last year people were saying he was a steal. 

See here:

And this:

So I say relax Jets fans we have our franchise QB, we just have to get him on the field... :) 

Look, rarely does a 4th round or later QB pan out.  It's like 95% or worse that they don't become franchise guys.  You don't relax and wait for him to maybe have that ability someday.  You keep trying to find other options, and if one day the lump of coal became a diamond by some miracle then you give him the shot.  But teams more often than not know when they have one.  NE knew very early on that Brady was special.  SEA knew right away that Wilson was special.  Either Petty shows something that he's special soon or he's done. 

2 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Look, rarely does a 4th round or later QB pan out.  It's like 95% or worse that they don't become franchise guys.  You don't relax and wait for him to maybe have that ability someday.  You keep trying to find other options, and if one day the lump of coal became a diamond by some miracle then you give him the shot.  But teams more often than not know when they have one.  NE knew very early on that Brady was special.  SEA knew right away that Wilson was special.  Either Petty shows something that he's special soon or he's done. 

I think the fact that the jets are looking to move up to take a QB tells us they aren't high on Petty.  

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I have the same opinion of Goff. Really hope Rams go with Wentz and we trade up. Unlikely though.

I honestly don't think it is that unlikely considering the Jets apparently were trying to trade up with the Titans. I think Mac loves Goff (been all over him since last summer, per reports). No idea how he feels about Wentz but if its the same as Goff, I think Mac will have no problem giving up picks for a QB

5 hours ago, LockeJET said:

One thing I know for a fact is this.. We offered more then Denver.. Denver doesn't want to pay Fitz whatever the Jets offer is...But if the Jets move on from Fitz and sign Hoyer, Fitz will be in Denver for around 7-8 mil per on a 3 year deal.

The only fact is we are the only team that made Fitz an offer.  Denver didnt offer Fitz anything.

19 hours ago, KRL said:

Yes, Hoyer was awful in the playoff game against KC.  But
you could make the argument at least he got to the playoffs.
Fitzpatrick "wet the bed" in the game that would've qualified
us for the playoffs

I know Fitz had a bad game against Buffalo, but he always does against Rex Ryan coached teams. I guess I would take Hoyer if Fitzy continues to think he is worth more than the Jets are offering him already. Gotta have someone under center and I can't even contemplate that guy being Geno Smith.

Archived