Hoyer visiting the Jets today

BroadwayJets

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

geno is cheap and he'll be on the team this year.  then he'll be gone.

He isn't going to be any cheaper than a new draft pick or petty.  Jets vet starter, petty, new pick.  Since the new pick and petty are at least as cheap as geno, geno is gone.  (in my opinion of course)

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

He isn't going to be any cheaper than a new draft pick or petty.  Jets vet starter, petty, new pick.  Since the new pick and petty are at least as cheap as geno, geno is gone.  (in my opinion of course)

If Petty was close to ready to start, I would agree. But he's not. At least that is what the coaching staff seems to be saying. You want to have a legit backup. At least a guy that has played some snaps in the NFL for crist's sake. This is why teams like to sign veterans as backups. If our starter (whoever that may be) gets hurt, we can't rely on Petty to come in. The Jets will sign a vet (possibly Hoyer). They will probably draft a developmental QB. And at least THIS year, they will have the vet (Hoyer?) and Geno fight for the starting spot (FYI- Geno beat out Fitz for the starting gig last season until he got knocked out by IK). Manwhile, Petty and the rook will sit. 

It's not unheard of that a team goes into the season with 4 QBs on the roster- especially one with young QBs and no clear Franchise guy.

In the end, I predict the Jets will go into the season with Geno as starter, Hoyer as a vet backup, Petty and Lynch as 3rd and 4th string QBs. But that's just me. I might be very wrong.      

Boys, boys boys, Geno is dead man walking.  The jets don't like him and he will be dumped when the jets draft a qb and sign a vet.

I don't think so. Possible of course if they really don't like him - but by all accounts he's been trouble free since last summer - and why ditch a cheap backup who knows the offense.

Strategically it makes all the sense in the world for Geno to play out 2016 as a backup in the least.

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

If Petty was close to ready to start, I would agree. But he's not. At least that is what the coaching staff seems to be saying. You want to have a legit backup. At least a guy that has played some snaps in the NFL for crist's sake. This is why teams like to sign veterans as backups. If our starter (whoever that may be) gets hurt, we can't rely on Petty to come in. The Jets will sign a vet (possibly Hoyer). They will probably draft a developmental QB. And at least THIS year, they will have the vet (Hoyer?) and Geno fight for the starting spot (FYI- Geno beat out Fitz for the starting gig last season until he got knocked out by IK). Manwhile, Petty and the rook will sit. 

It's not unheard of that a team goes into the season with 4 QBs on the roster- especially one with young QBs and no clear Franchise guy.

In the end, I predict the Jets will go into the season with Geno as starter, Hoyer as a vet backup, Petty and Lynch as 3rd and 4th string QBs. But that's just me. I might be very wrong.      

If the jets sign hoyer he is the starter, If the jets felt Geno was starting material hoyer would not be a factor nor would Fitz or anyone else.  I could be wrong as well but I'd be very surprised if geno smith is on the team to start this coming year.

Just now, Paradis said:

I don't think so. Possible of course if they really don't like him - but by all accounts he's been trouble free since last summer - and why ditch a cheap backup who knows the offense.

Strategically it makes all the sense in the world for Geno to play out 2016 as a backup in the least.

Because I don't at all believe they like him as a leader of the team and a QB.  Cheap should be like #100 on the list of reasons to keep a Qb around if you don't believe in him and have other cheap players.  Geno had is big chance last year to change some minds in the oakland game and he was the same geno as previous years.  Throws a nice ball, makes some nice plays and then his brain falls out and he makes plays that cost the team badly.

The Jets are not cutting Petty imo. too early to toss out a 4th round developmental guy.  The Jets are drafting a QB, early or later, The jets are signing a vet to probably start. 

Because I don't at all believe they like him as a leader of the team and a QB.  Cheap should be like #100 on the list of reasons to keep a Qb around if you don't believe in him and have other cheap players.  Geno had is big chance last year to change some minds in the oakland game and he was the same geno as previous years.  Throws a nice ball, makes some nice plays and then his brain falls out and he makes plays that cost the team badly.

The Jets are not cutting Petty imo. too early to toss out a 4th round developmental guy.  The Jets are drafting a QB, early or later, The jets are signing a vet to probably start. 

I disagree. When you're as strapped for cash as we are; price does make a difference. They know he's not the long term answer, so there's not huge liability to keeping him around.

Also I think you're forgetting how bad backups can be. I'll take Geno any day of the week over the case keenums of the league.

I'm no fan of Hoyer, but he had 19 TD's and only 7 ints last year. He had an abysmal playoff game with 4 picks too. But Fitz also had a similar game against Buffalo, which was basically a playoff game for the Jets. Carson Palmer had his debacle against Carolina in the playoffs. 

Hoyer is better than Geno, just my opinion. I'm not looking at Hoyer for the future but as someone who is cheaper than Fitz and to keep the seat warm until Petty or a drafted or traded for QB comes into town to take over for us. 

just an fyi.. 

~ ~   At the moment, Brian Hoyer seems to be either an option for the Jets, or leverage in theRyan Fitzpatrick contract talks.But after being released by the Texans, the journeyman quarterback might have some other options of his own.According to Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Cowboys might beinterested in Hoyer “at the right price.”They clearly need a backup option for Tony Romo, and at the moment, the only other quarterbacks on the roster are Kellen Moore and Jameill Showers.

They sniffed around Chase Daniel and Colt McCoy, but didn’t want to pay market rates for top-level backups. Matt Moore also visited Dallas early in free agency before returning to the Dolphins.Of course, the bigger question for the Cowboys is whether to tread water with a veteran backup, or spend the draft currency for a guy to groom as Romo’s eventual replacement. If they use the fourth pick on a quarterback, they obviously wouldn’t need Hoyer or anyone of his ilk.

>       http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/19/cowboys-might-have-some-interest-in-brian-hoyer-at-the-right-price/

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I disagree. When you're as strapped for cash as we are; price does make a difference. They know he's not the long term answer, so there's not huge liability to keeping him around.

Also I think you're forgetting how bad backups can be. I'll take Geno any day of the week over the case keenums of the league.

Petty, cheap.  New draft pick, cheap.  no need for another cheap guy you have moved on from.

We will have to agree to disagree because you still feel that Geno offers something Qb wise.  I've seen enough and don't want him on the team to emotionally kill me and the offense by way of brain numbing bad plays at the worst time.

22 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Geno is safe as a cheap option. People forget Geno was beating out Fitz last offseason.

This isn't about replacing Geno. It's about replacing Fitz and Hoyer is a downgrade from both QBs. 

Dear jetrider,.. hi !... please be adv. that geno smith is an awful qb.  AWFUL   <_<

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer: 

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Our WR, Brandon Marshall, was LOVING Geno last year before camp. Then Geno got hurt and he LOVED Fitz. If the Jets sign Hoyer, he will LOVE Hoyer. You noticing a pattern here? These guys will always defend THEIR guy, until THEIR guy is no longer THE guy. 

I am no fan of Hoyer, but the same people saying Hoyer isn't the answer were saying the same about Fitz last year. The fact is that neither are the answer. Both are marginal players that could succeed with the talent the Jets have on offense. 

Brandon Marshall is all about love.

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Petty, cheap.  New draft pick, cheap.  no need for another cheap guy you have moved on from.

We will have to agree to disagree because you still feel that Geno offers something Qb wise.  I've seen enough and don't want him on the team to emotionally kill me and the offense by way of brain numbing bad plays at the worst time.

Petty, no game experience. New draft pick, no game experience. You ideally want an experienced backup.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Be prepared.  This is happening.  He's going to come in, fresh off playoff berth, with an above .500 winning percentage, he's going to ask for 6-8mil, he was the Jets preference over Fitz last season, the Jets clearly arent sold on Fitz, he gives them a veteran presence and he's going to get an offer and never leave NY. 

Brian Hoyer is going to be the starting QB of the NY Jets.

And he will bomb, horribly.

Same old Jets.

By the way, consider, Hoyer's market value is considered to be ~3-4 mil/year.

It's more than possible the Jets sign Hoyer AND Fitz.

Fitz/Hoyer/Petty.  No Geno.  No Draft Pick.  

Don't be overly shocked if thats actually what happens.  Jets realize they'd have to sell their entire draft and then some to get to pick #2 to the get the sloppy seconds after pick #1.  This isn't out year for the top QB in the draft.

Just now, Warfish said:

Don't be overly shocked if thats actually what happens.  Jets realize they'd have to sell their entire draft and then some to get to pick #2 to the get the sloppy seconds after pick #1.  This isn't out year for the top QB in the draft.

Agreed. I'm just tired of fans not seeng the forest for the trees when it comes to this roster

Just now, Warfish said:

+1

..and that's not the worst thing in the world. If we got our starting qb back at our price and replaced Geno with Hoyer I think that is a successful off-season for us at the qb position.

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And he will bomb, horribly.

Same old Jets.

If he bombs, who cares? That's what people are not getting. This team has no window. This is a rebuilding project disguised as a win now team to keep fans happy.

Already the general expectations are 7-8 wins for this unit.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If he bombs, who cares? That's what people are not getting. This team has no window. This is a rebuilding project disguised as a win now team to keep fans happy.

Already the general expectations are 7-8 wins for this unit.

First, no, it's not a "Rebuilding project" in any form.  We're a veteran heavy roster and are fully expected to compete.  Writing off the season is, as I've said, Fan Fantasy.

Second, there is no such thing as a "Rebuilding Year" in the modern NFL.  Sorry.

The General Expectations are generally ignorant and off-base most of the time.  They hold little relevance to the Team.

Giving up on 2016 won't make the Jets better in 2017.  NFL GM's must do both, build for the future, and build to win now as well.  That's what some fans continue to not get.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

First, no, it's not a "Rebuilding project" in any form.  We're a veteran heavy roster and are fully expected to compete.  Writing off the season is, as I've said, Fan Fantasy.

Second, there is no such thing as a "Rebuilding Year" in the modern NFL.  Sorry.

The General Expectations are generally ignorant and off-base most of the time.  They hold little relevance to the Team.

Giving up on 2016 won't make the Jets better in 2017.  NFL GM's must do both, build for the future, and build to win now as well.  That's what some fans continue to not get.

Most of the veterans signed are for short term deals. Which means in a couple of years we may have a nearly complete revamped roster of young talent. Idzik tried to do this but failed because he wouldn't spends one of the money upfront to keep the fans happy.

BTW, the Carolina Panthers and Jacksonville Jaguars would like a word with you regarding no such thing as rebuilding years. 

Most of the early predictions have them winning 8 games

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Until Hoyer threw 4 picks in a playoff game. 

Fitzpatrick on the other hand threw 3 picks in one quarter to keep us from getting into the playoffs,  and Hoyer was playing against a playoff team, Fitz wasn't. 

Look, I loved Fitzpatrick last year, but I'm not sure he doesn't want to retire unless some team meets his demands. 

Pursuing Hoyer for cheap $ and drafting a rookie seems a win win.  Not only to plug the hole, but to put pressure on Fitz to bring his demands in line. 

If Fitz doesn't re-sign it will free up cap space and allow us to spend the $ on someone else who can improve the team, or resign Mo.

I think folks are overreacting, when we signed Fitz, no one thought he was going to do anything, so I'm not convinced Hoyer would be a worse than Fitz.   

4 hours ago, gEYno said:

Yup.  I really don't get why people are upset about this.

Fitz wants a starting QB deal that will likely lock us into him for multiple seasons.  I totally get why people are upset Fitz might not be starting for us in 2016, but does anyone really want him starting for us in 2017?  Because, that's pretty much what you're signing up for if you give Fitz the kind of deal he seems to want.

As far as I'm concerned, get Hoyer on the same kind of deal you gave Fitz last year, and keep working on finding a guy you actually want to start in 2017.

Fitzpatrick is not going to be the Jets QB in 2017. And neither will Hoyer. As much as I can't stand Geno Smith, I agree with those who see him as a slight upgrade over Hoyer. Especially he has had a chance to get familiar with Gailey's offensive system. With Hoyer there would obviously be a learning curve in that respect. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Why would Hoyer take a back-up job to Tony Romo when he just took his team to the playoffs and can definitely start for the Jets who almost made the playoffs?  That doesnt make sense to me.

He's signing here.  Prepare yourselves. 

More money, less pressure.  He will go where the money is at this stage in his career.  He is close to that lovely cushy job of a vet #2 guy who wears a ball cap for 5 years and makes 4 mill a year to do so.

Archived