Hoyer visiting the Jets today

BroadwayJets

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

By the way, consider, Hoyer's market value is considered to be ~3-4 mil/year.

It's more than possible the Jets sign Hoyer AND Fitz.

Fitz/Hoyer/Petty.  No Geno.  No Draft Pick.  

Don't be overly shocked if thats actually what happens.  Jets realize they'd have to sell their entire draft and then some to get to pick #2 to the get the sloppy seconds after pick #1.  This isn't out year for the top QB in the draft.

Problem is you eventually have to make a deal to be in the position to grab a QB you believe can be your FQ.  Always will take a bold move, this year we have a top talent in Mo to add to picks to help us move up.  We either pay up or pray we get lucky.  Because picking middle of the draft or lower isn't going to make picking a QB easy.  

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

And he will bomb, horribly.

Same old Jets.

Probably.  But hey, Fitz gave us the best QB season we've ever seen for the Jets and had nothing to show for it. Hoyer got his team to the playoffs.  

Dont get me wrong, he sucks something awful.  But this guy was 10-6 in Cleveland of all places.

Disaster may be imminent...but we're used to that, no? 

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Probably.  But hey, Fitz gave us the best QB season we've ever seen for the Jets and had nothing to show for it. Hoyer got his team to the playoffs.  

Dont get me wrong, he sucks something awful.  But this guy was 10-6 in Cleveland of all places.

Disaster may be imminent...but we're used to that, no? 

he's an upgrade over geno..

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

5 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Well if we sign him at least we'll know if the Fitz haters are right. If Fitz is that terrible and such a choker, Hoyer should pass for at least 35 TD's and get us into the playoffs. He'd have Marshall, Decker, Amaro, Forte, plus whoever we draft.

You guys are smart, so I'm sure you'll be right. 

If Fitz threw 31 tds than hoyer should throw like 40

LOL I would love to hear from all these Fitz haters next year IF geno/hoyer both do terrible. I wonder if they would go and say we should've signed Fitz. 

4 minutes ago, jett said:

LOL I would love to hear from all these Fitz haters next year IF geno/hoyer both do terrible. I wonder if they would go and say we should've signed Fitz. 

You have it wrong though, the Fitz haters are in a 100% can't lose place. 

If Fitz comes back and has a great year they will spout that they are happy because they are jets fans and that the weaponzzzz dragged him along for the ride.

If Fitz comes back and does poorly they can crow that they knew he was garbage all along.

If Geno or Hoyer come in and do well of course they are vindicated for their views on the lowly Fitz, as a matter of fact they can do much worse and still get more credit.

If Geno or Hoyer do poorly then it is becasue of a tougher schedule, playoffs and weaponzzzz and all of that no longer matters.

None of them will have the guts to set out satisfactory parameters for any new or old Qb's before the season so as you can see they can't possibly lose due to the fact that they just pull out only factors that they think supports their argument and ignore all else.

12 minutes ago, jett said:

Hoyer is no worse than fitz so we're screwed either way. Might as well go with the guy who's not demanding to be the highest paid member of the team

2 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Fitzpatrick is not going to be the Jets QB in 2017. And neither will Hoyer. As much as I can't stand Geno Smith, I agree with those who see him as a slight upgrade over Hoyer. Especially he has had a chance to get familiar with Gailey's offensive system. With Hoyer there would obviously be a learning curve in that respect. 

So, you think Fitzpatrick is willing to take a one year deal?  Either literally or one that is easy for us to get away from after one year?

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Problem is you eventually have to make a deal to be in the position to grab a QB you believe can be your FQ.  Always will take a bold move, this year we have a top talent in Mo to add to picks to help us move up.  We either pay up or pray we get lucky.  Because picking middle of the draft or lower isn't going to make picking a QB easy.  

Implies the 2nd/3rd/4th best QB in this weak QB Draft is a near-sure-thing FQ.

They're not.  Not in my view, and not in the views of the scouts I've read thus far.

So no, we don;t "have" to be bold this year, nor do we "have" to trade Mo now just because Fans think he's worth a #1 pick (he's not, btw).

We lack the ammo, pick-wise, to get to pick #2.  The cost, our 31, Mo and a number of other picks, is simply not cost or development effective given the projection of teh available QB's in that spot.

As to being easy, well, that's why the GM wears the big boy pants.  It's a tough job, and nothing will get him fired faster than trading his whole draft for a reach at QB in a down year who is a declared bust two years later.

I have to have faoth that Mac won't overspend, and won't reach, to placate Fans who love the next thing no matter who that next thing may be or how they project out.

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If Fitz comes back and has a great year they will spout that they are happy because they are jets fans and that the weaponzzzz dragged him along for the ride.

If Fitz comes back and does poorly they can crow that they knew he was garbage all along.

If Geno or Hoyer come in and do well of course they are vindicated for their views on the lowly Fitz, as a matter of fact they can do much worse and still get more credit.

If Geno or Hoyer do poorly then it is becasue of a tougher schedule, playoffs and weaponzzzz and all of that no longer matters.

None of them will have the guts to set out satisfactory parameters for any new or old Qb's before the season so as you can see they can't possibly lose due to the fact that they just pull out only factors that they think supports their argument and ignore all else.

The internet, in a nutshell.

26 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Im not a Fitzpatrick hater just want to see the Jets do better and maybe see what Geno can do with Marshall,Decker and Gailey as OC. 

Or lets get a top rookie have the camp battle and may the best QB win. 

Fitzpatrick is a journeyman QB who has never made the playoffs we are a QB starved organization. 

I am a Jets fan I root for the team to do well and hopefully win a Super Bowl someday soon. 

1 hour ago, jett said:

Definitely not.  If Geno starts (which is obviously what I want), it's better than anything paying Fitz 7+mil would accomplish.  Regardless of how Geno does.

Best case paying Fitz:  7 to 9 wins and miss the playoffs.  Big money wasted and still haven't seen any younger guys play.  Back to square one in 2017.

Geno?  Either he sucks and we know to dump him.  We saved money and have a good draft pick.  Or... he excels, we save money and Geno is our savior.

Signing Hoyer for 3-4mil just accomplishes what we did last year with Fitz.  It gives us a solid backup.

There's no way paying Fitz 7mil+ ends up being a good thing.

Just as there's no way NOT paying Fitz ends up as a bad thing.

hoyer and fitz are pretty much the same guy although the irony is both the texans and jets wanted hoyer over fitz last  year-If the dollar was the same I would say okay fitz u got one more  year dont choke again in your biggest game but for the dollar diff Fitz FU

7 hours ago, maury77 said:

Houston fans also hated Fitz, calling him "sh*tzpatrick". 

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Until Hoyer threw 4 picks in a playoff game. 

I'm pretty sure Houston fans hate both players ... because they both suck

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Implies the 2nd/3rd/4th best QB in this weak QB Draft is a near-sure-thing FQ.

They're not.  Not in my view, and not in the views of the scouts I've read thus far.

So no, we don;t "have" to be bold this year, nor do we "have" to trade Mo now just because Fans think he's worth a #1 pick (he's not, btw).

We lack the ammo, pick-wise, to get to pick #2.  The cost, our 31, Mo and a number of other picks, is simply not cost or development effective given the projection of teh available QB's in that spot.

As to being easy, well, that's why the GM wears the big boy pants.  It's a tough job, and nothing will get him fired faster than trading his whole draft for a reach at QB in a down year who is a declared bust two years later.

I have to have faoth that Mac won't overspend, and won't reach, to placate Fans who love the next thing no matter who that next thing may be or how they project out.

Does not imply that were going for the 2nd or worse QB.  Its pretty much a toss up who likes Goff or Wentz.  If the reports are true, if the Rams pick Goff and Macc loves Wentz, its time to move up.  Nothing that the Rams have done recently convinces me that they will pick the number 1 guy.  

Its time War.  We need a QB.  Has nothing to do with fans.  The same scouts you quoted above all have Mo as 1st round talent.  Its not the whiney, dopey Jets fans who rip their own talent.  

You say we lack ammo to move up but thats totally wrong.  Of course we can move up.  Its if we want to pay the price, not if we have the ammo.  

Comes down to what the FO thinks of the QBs at the top of the list.  Not what fans think.  Not what either of us think.  So of course it depends on Macc and how he rates them.  You have to believe he's trying to do whats best for the long term development of the team, not just to create a buzz.  

Brian Hoyer - QB -  Free Agent

ESPN New York's Rich Cimini reports free agent Brian Hoyer's visit to the Jets is just "due diligence," and that free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick remains the team's priority at quarterback.

Hoyer is just a backup plan in case talks with Fitzpatrick completely fall apart. It could be argued Geno Smith is a better in-house option than Hoyer on the open market.

Apr 19 - 5:07 PM

Brian Hoyer - QB -  Free Agent

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Jets' interest in free agent Brian Hoyer is "very real," and that there could be a contract offer by Wednesday.

We're not so sure. ESPN New York has reported Hoyer's visit is little more than "due diligence," and even with the Ryan Fitzpatrick talks at an impasse, the Jets already have an in-house backup plan in Geno Smith. If Hoyer ends up as a Jet, it will probably be further down the road.

Source: CBS Sports 
Apr 19 - 5:30 PM

Hoyer will be a Jet and Fitzy was a 1 year aberration. :-( 

But hopefully in 3 weeks we'll have a promising young QB prospect (Lynch, Cook, Da'Hack, HOGAN!, Prescott, etc.) who can take over in 2017 with a healthier salary cap. 

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Definitely not.  If Geno starts (which is obviously what I want), it's better than anything paying Fitz 7+mil would accomplish.  Regardless of how Geno does.

Best case paying Fitz:  7 to 9 wins and miss the playoffs.  Big money wasted and still haven't seen any younger guys play.  Back to square one in 2017.

Geno?  Either he sucks and we know to dump him.  We saved money and have a good draft pick.  Or... he excels, we save money and Geno is our savior.

Signing Hoyer for 3-4mil just accomplishes what we did last year with Fitz.  It gives us a solid backup.

There's no way paying Fitz 7mil+ ends up being a good thing.

Just as there's no way NOT paying Fitz ends up as a bad thing.

And you know all of this because... What... It's your opinion which means it has to be a fact? Interesting. Ok what's the lottery numbers gonna be. I mean why even watch next season if you know what is going to happen. 

So whatever Fitz does next season isn't worth the money 

That makes sense. Let's say hypothetically he wins the super bowl with the Jets next year, it isn't worth it cuz they spent an extra whatever million for him. Ok makes sense. Don't be a Jets fan. 

Also I can play your game to, you want geno to start? Well you must love terrible qbs. He's worse than Sanchez. Didn't this guy throw 3 picks in like 5 throws? U want that? Lololoollllll Hahahahahaahahhahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha anything u say is now irrelevant. 

Why trade up? Are you taking about trading with the Browns for the Rams leftover guy? That price is too steep for a guy like wentz or gift, IMO. 

Trade up to upper mid round for a guy like lynch? If you want a good, young QB, look no further than Bryce Petty. Is lynch that much better than Petty that we would pay the price to move up? IMO, he is not. 

We need a pass rusher w that first round pick. If I had my druthers, I'd pay a small price to move up a grab Noah Spence, warts and all.

17 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

Why trade up? Are you taking about trading with the Browns for the Rams leftover guy? That price is too steep for a guy like wentz or gift, IMO. 

Trade up to upper mid round for a guy like lynch? If you want a good, young QB, look no further than Bryce Petty. Is lynch that much better than Petty that we would pay the price to move up? IMO, he is not. 

We need a pass rusher w that first round pick. If I had my druthers, I'd pay a small price to move up a grab Noah Spence, warts and all.

I feel the same way. At most I would jump over the Bills if he falls. 

Btw, what happened to your druthers?  

1 hour ago, jetfan39 said:

not a fan of any of the qb's in disscussion but i bet i could cherry pick 7 videos that make hoyer look like a super star

You probably could, but if someone decided to look at all of Hoyers games then was asked to decide which set of cherry picked GIF's most represents his career, I dont think your GIF's would be picked my friend. 

53 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I feel the same way. At most I would jump over the Bills if he falls. 

Btw, what happened to your druthers?  

Haha.. I gave up my druthers on my wedding day.

Yes, if mocks are any indication, we might have to leapfrog the Bills for Spence.

and since it's being brought up, I think a big trade up to #2, or top 5, I'd rather granb Ramsey or Myles Jack instead of the QB. 

if I had my druthers, of course.

Archived