Hackenberg is in the HOUSE!!!

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Positive Hackenberg news:

"There were reports that the New York Jets are all over North Carolina quarterback Mitch Trubisky. When I told this to Jets sources, they rolled their eyes and shook their head. They said that general manager Mike Maccagnan has them work more in depth on early entry players later in the process and not during the fall, so it is way too early to say that for almost any non-senior.

These sources also said that quarterback Christian Hackenberg developed well behind the scenes as a rookie. Citing Jared Goff with the Rams as an example of a quarterback playing before he was prepared, the Jets didn't want to force Hackenberg on the field before he was ready and end up doing damage to him. This analyst wouldn't be surprised if the Jets went the veteran quarterback route to compete and see how their young quarterbacks improve in 2017.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2017rumors2.php#lP7Qi25sQtuDKeff.99"

That's encouraging. I hope it's true.

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

"There were reports that the New York Jets are all over North Carolina quarterback Mitch Trubisky. When I told this to Jets sources, they rolled their eyes and shook their head. They said that general manager Mike Maccagnan has them work more in depth on early entry players later in the process and not during the fall, so it is way too early to say that for almost any non-senior.

These sources also said that quarterback Christian Hackenberg developed well behind the scenes as a rookie. Citing Jared Goff with the Rams as an example of a quarterback playing before he was prepared, the Jets didn't want to force Hackenberg on the field before he was ready and end up doing damage to him. This analyst wouldn't be surprised if the Jets went the veteran quarterback route to compete and see how their young quarterbacks improve in 2017.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2017rumors2.php#lP7Qi25sQtuDKeff.99"

Yeah!!!

He's the ONE!

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

Good! Mitch has the same amount of snaps at the college level as I do. So glad that was shot down. The perfect thing for NYJ to do is get a vet in there and host an open competition for the starter spot. See what these kids have. We scouted and drafted them for a reason...least we can do is take time to evaluate the progress and actual give them a shot. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2017 at 9:03 PM, Jet Nut said:

Try something different?  That's exactly what they've done with Hack.  Sanchez and Geno were thrown in without any develop.  Again, if you decide to give him a year to sit, if that's the plan and you carry QBs to handle it you don't change it up on the fly.  You most certainly don't decide, from the outside looking in, that Hack is psychologically damaged and needs therapy.  Don't know what's worse this ridiculous idea or comparing playing football with storming the beaches of. Normandy.  Thats stupid on so many levels.  

Its amazing how fans actually think

Yeah it is amazing how some fans think.  Sanchez got us deep into the playoff twice first 2 years. Namath didn't, Pennington didn't so that is a great reference point. Guess that blew up in your face.

2 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Yeah it is amazing how some fans think.  Sanchez got us deep into the playoff twice first 2 years. Namath didn't, Pennington didn't so that is a great reference point. Guess that blew up in your face.

No it didn't.  

Apples and oranges.  

• Upvote 1

We need an OC that has a system like Godsey. I was suprised when we drafted Hackenberg for the simple fact that his style of play is beat fit for the Belichick/O'Brien/Godsey system. Gaily's is closer to Franklin's at Penn State which is where Hacknberg declined. Hopefully, we can tailor an offense that fits Hackeneberg if the team still believes he can be the guy.

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Now we are going to tailor our offense around Hackenberg?  Sweet fancy Moses!

Forget hackenberg for a second but don't good coaches tailor there system to fit the players they have instead of forcing players that don't fit to play in a system they will fail in??

2 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Forget hackenberg for a second but don't good coaches tailor there system to fit the players they have instead of forcing players that don't fit to play in a system they will fail in??

Is Hackenberg a "player" they have? The system predated the player. The guy was the #4 QB in a league where teams usually carry 2.  

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

If they believe he is the guy, then yeah. If they dont, cut him. I could care less either way as long as they find players who can play and a system that works for them.

So cut him or tailor the offense around him?  Logical. 

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Is Hackenberg a "player" they have? The system predated the player. The guy was the #4 QB in a league where teams usually carry 2.  

So cut him or tailor the offense around him?  Logical. 

Yeah cut him if he doesnt do well in this system in a year or two. That is pretty logical. The point im making is how the team views Hackenberg. If they're convinced, then yeah you bring a coach in who runs a system that this player has proven to succeed in. If he still cant, you cut him. 

Its pretty much how every sports organization operates. Hence...Logical.

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Yeah cut him if he doesnt do well in this system in a year or two. That is pretty logical. The point im making is how the team views Hackenberg. If they're convinced, then yeah you bring a coach in who runs a system that this player has proven to succeed in. If he still cant, you cut him. 

Its pretty much how every sports organization operates. Hence...Logical.

Isn't it logical to assume that if he couldn't beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith or Bryce Petty that they aren't convinced?  He didn't just not beat out all of them, he didn't beat out any of them.  You want to give him a year or two?  That is how every sports organization operates?  Name one.  That is borderline insane and I am not particularly sure about the borderline. 

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Isn't it logical to assume that if he couldn't beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith or Bryce Petty that they aren't convinced?  He didn't just not beat out all of them, he didn't beat out any of them.  You want to give him a year or two?  That is how every sports organization operates?  Name one.  That is borderline insane and I am not particularly sure about the borderline. 

I said every team gets players to play in a system and if the player cant he's gone. I didnt say they sit a player for a whole year.

I'm not even saying Hackenberg will be any good. I'm saying, if he now plays in the same system that worked for him in college and still cant develop, he should be gone. He also has a much better chance at succeeding in this specific system. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

He was never asked or put up to the task of beating out any of the other 3..he was drafted with a firm plan in place to sit no matter what.  You are grasping at things that aren't there, in order to make your 'point'..

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You don't realize that is worse?

The jets did the right thing by not putting pressure on him to be the starter because he needs a lot of work, plain and simple. You can criticize the pick obviously, but they are doing the right thing by taking their time with his development and not putting him in a position to fail

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

You don't realize that is worse?

You are taking the idea of the plan wrong. This wasn't a normal QB prospect. He was a prospect with a very high ceiling and a very low floor but was shell shocked from the coaching and offensive line. He needed to be taken apart and put back together and the results can be very benefital. That means sitting him no matter what. NOT letting him see action no matter how good he looked or how bad he look on the surface. The idea of the plan was to give him confidence through film breakdown days, getting accustomed to NFL defenses in practice, sitting and watching during game day. He needs to be able to not think he is getting sacked .02 seconds after his drop back. He needed that year to erase the college memories out of his head in order to move past it and focus on the NFL. That does not happen the first year. Say what you want be he could of looked great and still sat until next season. Fitz had a good season the year before and nothing was going to change the staffs mind even when it went sour this year. If Hack doesn't claim the spot this year..I agree THEN something is up and he obviously isn't our guy, but until that day comes where he shows zero progression I'm not downing Hack or Macc. That's ridiculous.

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He was never asked or put up to the task of beating out any of the other 3..he was drafted with a firm plan in place to sit no matter what.  You are grasping at things that aren't there, in order to make your 'point'..

That is the plan?  You are sitting for a year.  No we are not changing your faulty mechanics no we do not have a plan to gradually move you up the 4 Qb depth chart, no we are not going to give you any reps other than scout team reps, no you are not going to suit up until we are forced by injury.

I am surprised at the number of people who are confusing 'sit for a year' with 'have a real plan and sit for a year'.  There is a MASSIVE difference.  They had no plan for this guy to get him better.

When we reach next off season workouts and then camp?  The Jes will have the same guy in most respects as they did this pat year.

Just now, Beerfish said:

That is the plan?  You are sitting for a year.  No we are not changing your faulty mechanics no we do not have a plan to gradually move you up the 4 Qb depth chart, no we are not going to give you any reps other than scout team reps, no you are not going to suit up until we are forced by injury.

I am surprised at the number of people who are confusing 'sit for a year' with 'have a real plan and sit for a year'.  There is a MASSIVE difference.  They had no plan for this guy to get him better.

When we reach next off season workouts and then camp?  The Jes will have the same guy in most respects as they did this pat year.

So you were at One Jets Drive every day and you seen exactly what Hack was doing every day? Look, we all have our opinions but none of us have that kind of information to make that type of claim. We get it Beer, you don't like the Hack pick but again, you people have to stop grasping at straws here. He could be working on mechanics with Palmer during the season. It's not like he was dressing. Not everything that happens gets reported. I repeat..not everything that happens..gets reported! I'm sure film breakdowns helped him learn how to diagnose NFL defenses. I'm sure scout team reps helped a lot more than you think. Next season he takes a huge jump obviously. We will see at that point. I just honestly feel like you are belittling the impact of just being on a NFL team for a year. I'm sure he progressed to some extent. We will see. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, cant wait said:

The jets did the right thing by not putting pressure on him to be the starter because he needs a lot of work, plain and simple. You can criticize the pick obviously, but they are doing the right thing by taking their time with his development and not putting him in a position to fail

Taking time with Hackenberg is fine.  My criticism isn't with Hackenberg or the pick, it is with the idea that he could possible have shown any reason to design an offense around him.  I am criticizing the idea that this staff hired a spread OC, drafted Hackenberg with the idea of sitting him for a year and then switching to a Pats/O'Brien-style offense designed around Hackenberg's strengths.  That idea is so preposterous I can't even begin to dissect the number of never happened befores that would have occur before it would work. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Taking time with Hackenberg is fine.  My criticism isn't with Hackenberg or the pick, it is with the idea that he could possible have shown any reason to design an offense around him.  I am criticizing the idea that this staff hired a spread OC, drafted Hackenberg with the idea of sitting him for a year and then switching to a Pats/O'Brien-style offense designed around Hackenberg's strengths.  That idea is so preposterous I can't even begin to dissect the number of never happened befores that would have occur before it would work. 

That's Adoni's claim. I'm just saying.. we don't know who the OC even winds up being. I just like the idea of someone zoning in on Hack and his development to a even higher level. It's obvious this Texans guy liked Hack. He may not even be the hire. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

That's Adoni's claim. I'm just saying.. we don't know who the OC even winds up being. I just like the idea of someone zoning in on Hack and his development to a even higher level. It's obvious this Texans guy liked Hack. He may not even be the hire. 

The Texans guy probably like hoyer, mallet and oswieler too.

17 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

So you were at One Jets Drive every day and you seen exactly what Hack was doing every day? Look, we all have our opinions but none of us have that kind of information to make that type of claim. We get it Beer, you don't like the Hack pick but again, you people have to stop grasping at straws here. He could be working on mechanics with Palmer during the season. It's not like he was dressing. Not everything that happens gets reported. I repeat..not everything that happens..gets reported! I'm sure film breakdowns helped him learn how to diagnose NFL defenses. I'm sure scout team reps helped a lot more than you think. Next season he takes a huge jump obviously. We will see at that point. I just honestly feel like you are belittling the impact of just being on a NFL team for a year. I'm sure he progressed to some extent. We will see. 

I guess we will see for ourselves in a number of months if he makes a big jump.  The big factor in all of this is what happens to Petty and if the Jets draft another QB. 

They'll be signing a vet somewhere I assume.  If we have a vet, petty and a new pick it will tell me everything I have to know about Hackenburg.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I guess we will see for ourselves in a number of months if he makes a big jump.  The big factor in all of this is what happens to Petty and if the Jets draft another QB. 

They'll be singing a vet somewhere I assume.  If we have a vet, petty and a new pick it will tell me everything I have to know about Hackenburg.

I agree with this. I don't think they go QB at all this draft though. It wouldn't be smart whether they like Hack anymore or not.. this QB class is just garbage especially compared to next year.

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The Texans guy probably like hoyer, mallet and oswieler too.

The only QB on that list that O'Brien and his coaching staff wanted was Hoyer and he had a respectable season as the Texans starter (until that playoff game of course).  The other two were pushed on them by the GM.  Rick Smith and that CS have a massive disconnect.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's not logical for more than a few reasons.  

Just an interesting thought.  Let's Say Hackenberg is the guy.  He did well as freshman when he had Allen Robinson as WR at Penn State.  If Mike Williams makes it past the Titans at 5, the Jets presumably would have already cut Marshall and Decker, could select Mike Williams WR from Clemson to team up with the young WR's on our roster.  Use our 2nd round pick on a left tackle unless found in FA.  Pairing a solid WR with a young QB helps them build that chemistry similar to Carr and Cooper with the Raiders.  I'm all for letting Hackenberg go in as our starter this year, see what we have:  Best case scenario is we found our franchise QB or 2 at least we find out that we need to draft one in 2018.

2 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

Just an interesting thought.  Let's Say Hackenberg is the guy.  He did well as freshman when he had Allen Robinson as WR at Penn State.  If Mike Williams makes it past the Titans at 5, the Jets presumably would have already cut Marshall and Decker, could select Mike Williams WR from Clemson to team up with the young WR's on our roster.  Use our 2nd round pick on a left tackle unless found in FA.  Pairing a solid WR with a young QB helps them build that chemistry similar to Carr and Cooper with the Raiders.  I'm all for letting Hackenberg go in as our starter this year, see what we have:  Best case scenario is we found our franchise QB or 2 at least we find out that we need to draft one in 2018.

And would probably have a high pick to boot 

• Upvote 1