PFF Ranks the Rosters

CrazyCarl40

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/15772400/nfl-ranking-rosters-all-32-teams-2016-depth-talent

I know there is a bunch of disagreement about Pro Football Focus, but they were featured on ESPN and ranked the rosters based on talent level. The Jets were middle-bottom tier. It's an Insider article, so you may not be able to see it. For reference, Patriots were #1, Bills are #14, Phins are #26. Niners were #32. The Jets were in between the Lions and the Chargers, both of whom have really solid QBs. Here is the Jets write up:

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

23. New York Jets

Top five players: DE Muhammad Wilkerson, DT Sheldon Richardson, DT Leonard Williams, WR Brandon Marshall, CB Darrelle Revis

Starters who should be upgraded: LB Erin Henderson, OT Breno Giacomini, OG Brian Winters, QB Geno Smith, LB Lorenzo Mauldin, CB Buster Skrine

The strength of this team is still up front, despite the departure of defensive tackle Damon Harrison in free agency. Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams give the Jets three versatile, talented disruptive players.There are some pieces around them, too, including Revis, who is still a fine player despite an inevitable decline.

The Jets' offense is held back by issues up front and at quarterback, which is not likely to be solved by the addition of rookie Christian Hackenberg, who had negative PFF grades in all three years at Penn State.

No real surprises on the top 5. I'd imagine Mangold would be #6. No real surprises on the starters who should be upgraded. The right side of the line is a massive black hole and Skrine is terrible. I'll give Henderson and Mauldin a pass, because one is a part time player (and the Jets brought in LBers in the 1st and 3rd round to improve that spot) and Mauldin got limited snaps and still caused a lot of havoc. He should take a leap forward in snaps and sacks this year. I'm not touching the QB spot in this, let's save that for other threads. Any disagreements?

The Mauldin listing is definitely a bit peculiar.  The guy is a second-year pro who saw an increasing amount of playing time over the course of his rookie year, and is now looking to step up into a bigger role after a full year of learning and training.  Of course that makes it far from being a guarantee that this will work out for the Jets, but there's no basis for considering him to be any sort of weak link at this point either.  By that kind of logic, every first-time starter should be listed as "should be upgraded".

7 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The Mauldin listing is definitely a bit peculiar.  The guy is a second-year pro who saw an increasing amount of playing time over the course of his rookie year, and is now looking to step up into a bigger role after a full year of learning and training.  Of course that makes it far from being a guarantee that this will work out for the Jets, but there's no basis for considering him to be any sort of weak link at this point either.  By that kind of logic, every first-time starter should be listed as "should be upgraded".

The Mauldin listing removes all credibility from this list..  Not sure what they're looking at but there's no way you should think he needs to be replaced.   If anything he's one of the most, if not the most exciting prospects on the team....

37 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I agree, but whom else would you replace? Not saying Mauldin should be on the list, but many of the 'holes' from last year have been either upgraded or replaced.

Other LBs? Pace is gone and we drafted 2 others.

Punt returner and #3 WR - Kerley gone, drafted/signed 3+ others

Punter? Drafted 1, signed another

Brick? Not sure he would make my top 5, but he retired.

RB? Ivory gone, Forte signed (not sure that is enough, but...)

TE? Probably, but Cumberland gone now (no real replacement)

CB? Cromartie is now gone - should Skrine be on the list? 

Clearly, the Jets aren't a complete roster, but if you were going to pick the top 5, I think QB (regardless of Fitz), Breno and Brian are clearly weak spots. But who would other people say (of the remaining team) the real culprits are? We have done a reasonable turnover in the past 2 years. Do we still need to get younger? Definitely, Do we need better depth, Definitely. But which starters should be replaced after the top 3 gets a little muddy IMO.

46 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/15772400/nfl-ranking-rosters-all-32-teams-2016-depth-talent

I know there is a bunch of disagreement about Pro Football Focus, but they were featured on ESPN and ranked the rosters based on talent level.

The main problem with PFF is that they do not allow subscribers or even "insiders" to review the breakdown of individual plays and grading, methodology, and ultimately the reproduction of similar results.

There are good commercial reasons not to do so, of course, but none of those reasons lend credit to the legitimacy of their results.  Without transparency, they are a "black box" organization, reporting unverifiable figures and statistics, with the explicit exclusion of independent peer review.  Morever, this is not the same as in-house analysis and "trade secrets".  They are not preparing analysis to a private company or interest, but publicly disclose their figures to what can only be described as a credulous (and paying) public who will consume their "data" at face-value.

And so, they are a media company - a public relations organization with a gimmick - not a serious data-driven outfit.  As you touched on, PFF is ESPN - one that sells its product with a "scientific, statistical" gimmick.

I do, however, agree with many Football fans that - while their algorithms and methodology are unverifiable, they do at least get fans thinking in the right direction about how Football should be judged, rather than the fantasy driven counting statistics.

54 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah. Even by their own ratings Mauldin was predicted to be a sleeper in the draft, and was graded very well in limited reps. 

I find that PFF often discounts their own ratings when they make these predictions. Should tell you how much confidence they have in their own system. 

Personally I think some of their ratings are very useful, such as rushing and pass rush, and some are useless such as coverage, and blocking. Anyone that is a poor blocker, or poor in coverage will be protected, or given simple assignments. Those that are better will be given more responsibilities. So the better players are inherently penalized by PFF. 

I agree the id on Mauldin is a head scratcher.  But so is if to a lesser extent the one on Henderson.  Henderson should be something significantly less than a full time player out there, but I expect him to be a real contributor.  Meanwhile the rookies should help in platooning at LB a great deal.

The analysis leaves out key bench positions 3rd wideout and nickel cb.  And as noted TE with the departure of Cumberland.  These are not positions and depth issues that as of now have been resolved, but there is good reason to expect improvement on all three as well as #2 cb.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The Mauldin listing removes all credibility from this list..  Not sure what they're looking at but there's no way you should think he needs to be replaced.   If anything he's one of the most, if not the most exciting prospects on the team....

Right doesn't make much sense.  Next year they'll say Lee has to be replaced because he he wasn't an all pro his rookie season.  I'm excited to see Mauldin this year.

On the plus side though, they listed Geno as out starter!  Great to see.

This list is just weird and doesn't nec. have anything to do with how good the team is. It's kinda like, why even make this list? Whats the point? It's based on 'talent' level? Ok...but then do they discount any of the rookies? Rookies have talent but its unclear if they will be any good in the NFL. L.Williams is obviously talented but hasn't really proven himself yet. Its just a weird list, gauging 'talent' and then ranking the team according to it...why? Everybody in the NFL is talented, and yes, some more than others, but not all of lose talented players are effective or, well, good at football. 

I just don't really get the point., but I guess the list makes sense. I thought the Jets would be higher.  

Skrine wasn't as bad as people say & he played hurt. Bowles played in the NFL & started his career coaching secondaries and he's penciled in Skrine at the #2 CB. He obviously thinks more highly of Skrine than PFF. 

I'm hoping Marcus Williams wins the #2 CB spot & Skrine stays at nickel/dime (Skrine is overpaid but he doesn't stink). We also didn't get enough pressure from the edges last year to help out the secondary. 

This year we've got some depth at pass rusher with Mauldin, Bishop, Catapano, to rotate. I think Breno is the #1 guy that needs to be upgraded. then punter (we have 2 to choose from). We need to find a RG out of like 5 guys. Jets will definitely be a top 5 defense. Also Decker is one of the best #2 WRs in the league, he thrives at the 2 spot.

33 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

On the plus side though, they listed Geno as out starter!  Great to see.

Are you for real?  They could not list Fitzpatrick since he's not YET under contract.  And they basically said Smith sucks.  Yet you think it a good thing how they referred to Smith.  Wow.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I know there is a bunch of disagreement about Pro Football Focus, but they were featured on ESPN and ranked the rosters based on talent level. The Jets were middle-bottom tier. It's an Insider article, so you may not be able to see it. For reference, Patriots were #1, Bills are #14, Phins are #26. Niners were #32. The Jets were in between the Lions and the Chargers, both of whom have really solid QBs. Here is the Jets write up:

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

23. New York Jets

Top five players: DE Muhammad Wilkerson, DT Sheldon Richardson, DT Leonard Williams, WR Brandon Marshall, CB Darrelle Revis

Starters who should be upgraded: LB Erin Henderson, OT Breno Giacomini, OG Brian Winters, QB Geno Smith, LB Lorenzo Mauldin, CB Buster Skrine

The strength of this team is still up front, despite the departure of defensive tackle Damon Harrison in free agency. Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams give the Jets three versatile, talented disruptive players.There are some pieces around them, too, including Revis, who is still a fine player despite an inevitable decline.

The Jets' offense is held back by issues up front and at quarterback, which is not likely to be solved by the addition of rookie Christian Hackenberg, who had negative PFF grades in all three years at Penn State.

No real surprises on the top 5. I'd imagine Mangold would be #6. No real surprises on the starters who should be upgraded. The right side of the line is a massive black hole and Skrine is terrible. I'll give Henderson and Mauldin a pass, because one is a part time player (and the Jets brought in LBers in the 1st and 3rd round to improve that spot) and Mauldin got limited snaps and still caused a lot of havoc. He should take a leap forward in snaps and sacks this year. I'm not touching the QB spot in this, let's save that for other threads. Any disagreements?

This is ridiculous.  He was far from terrible, he was great and very consistent for us. 

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

I love Leo but only 1 year under the belt and you're telling me he's better than Mangold, Forte and Decker? 

And how you going to put players that you know nothing about on the "need to upgrade" list?

Stupid article.  dumb list.  

I think they went strictly by their grades, for better or worse. And Leo was one of the best defensive lineman last season.

10 minutes ago, jett said:

This is ridiculous.  He was far from terrible, he was great and very consistent for us. 

No. It's not and the numbers bear it out. He's below average and has been for a number of years. Consistent? Sure. He was consistently beaten for first downs and scores. Remember that Giants game where he just let ODB go for a 72 yard TD pass? I understand the slot is a difficult position to defend, but he was one of the worst in the league. He's set to make nearly 8 million dollars this year.

the whack thing is the d-line will be in shambles after mo is gone and the jets will have to think about drafting d-line next year, lol

I think the jets are going to have yuge problems with sheldumbs contract and he will be a goner as well

16 hours ago, Colgateman said:

Let's be honest, the jets roster isn't all that talented. Yeah there is some talent, but most of them are 30+ and can regress at any second, where the Jets are ranked is right where they should be

This is a key point.  

So many out here tend to overvalue the Jets roster, so that when they critique say the Bills vs Jets they act as if the Jets should beat them based on talent when that has not been the case for years and certainly wasn't going to be rectified by one year's draft and off season acquisitions. 

Up and down talent is going to get you uneven games.  Coaching can only do so much and the Jets HC was a rookie and made rookie errors as well.

With all that said the truth is the Jets are way more talented then they were two years ago but the Jets were just awful talent wise two years ago so an upgrade was inevitable.  

What difference does it make where the roster ranks? All you need to know that the NYJ f*cking SUCK in 2016. They probably will not win a game until approximately week 8 or later. They will end up with a top ten 10 pick in the 2017 draft because this team as it is currently comprised SUCKS and will get bitch slapped by most anyone they play. What's worse is MAC does not know how to do his job, and our HC gets b*tch slapped by Rex Ryan twice a year. 

On 6/10/2016 at 9:06 AM, Mainejet said:

What difference does it make where the roster ranks? All you need to know that the NYJ f*cking SUCK in 2016. They probably will not win a game until approximately week 8 or later. They will end up with a top ten 10 pick in the 2017 draft because this team as it is currently comprised SUCKS and will get bitch slapped by most anyone they play. What's worse is MAC does not know how to do his job, and our HC gets b*tch slapped by Rex Ryan twice a year. 

Classic, agree there is reason for concern but it may be time for a Bloody Mary, LOL - please let me know when you post the passionate Jets fan youtube rant video, it should be an instant classic :)

Archived