JAC Observations

KRL

Great to have football back!!!  Only the first pre-season game but let's take a look
at what happened:

General

- Very clean game with only two penalties and no turnovers

- Good to see the rookies (Jordan Jenkins, Darron Lee, Jalin Marshall, Doug Middleton,
Juston Burris & Charone Peake) take their camp performances into a game

- Last year when the #1's went out you saw a noticeable dip in performance.  Good to see that
wasn't the case this year

- JAC has a lot of "name" talent, will be a sexy pick to make the playoffs and people
will love them in fantasy football.  But there's something about Bradley as a HC that
I just don't like.  He's never won more than five games and 15 penalties in your first
game is not a good start to the season

Special Teams

- Good debut for Brant Boyer's units all around.  Solid coverage, immediate tackles and good
blocking on the returns.  I guess the "trash can" drills worked

- Lachlan Edwards consistently "flipped" the field with his punts.  And it was good to
see him in an end of game situation where he had to get a good punt off to pin the offense
back

- Bye Ross Martin, it was nice having you in camp.  You can't shank a 39 yarder and come 
up 5 yards short on a 54 yarder

- Big returns from Jeremy Ross and Marshall, haven't seen that since the Leon Washington days

Defense

- Sloppy tackling that prevented big losses and led to big JAC gains

- Leaky run defense

- Nice to see the increase in our front seven speed on display.  Multiple times DL & LB were in
JAC backfield ready to make plays (even though some of them whiffed)

- JAC marched up & down the field but it was good to see the defense get stingy in the red zone

- Good job Shelby Harris (2 sacks).  Can you continue that performance?

- After years of watching Demario Davis, Calvin Pace and Quinton Coples "plod" around as LB's, what a
pleasure to see Darron Lee & Bruce Carter fly around.  Multiple TFL's and good coverage from both of
them and a near INT from Carter

Offense

- Run blocking wasn't powerful and needs work but the pass blocking was solid.  Ben Ijalana was totally
anonymous at the RT spot (which is what you want).  Can he unseat Giacomini?

- Crazy WR depth with guys like Enunwa, Marshall, Ross, Peake & Robby Anderson flashing.  Remember when
our big WR's were Holmes, Hill, Kerley & Nelson?

- Those passes to Enunwa have to get you excited.  Because twice we were in a 5 wide formation and Enunwa
was 1 on 1 against an LB and destroyed him.  If he can get more consistent with his hands we can get big
gains from him

- Surprised Smith started out so shaky (inaccurate passes, short hopping Marshall) with all the off-season 
reps he got.  He got better towards the end of his night with that nice TD to Peake

- Petty showed a nice command of the offense and moved the ball nicely.  It would be nice to have him and
Smith play well and force a tough decision at the end of camp

Thank you @KRL, we needed a front page recap. :)  Much appreciated as always.

Along these lines I felt like Milliner was in the loser column last night. He had a chance to step up and win the 2nd \ 3rd job but this definitely pushes him down, last night was a loss for Dee.

I felt like Geno's start made it close to being a battle for the # 2 job. That was before Petty even played. Then Geno settled down but the biggest concern is if he is the # 2, he can't be rusty. Yes you don't warm up all game and you will be called on cold. But that is the job, so he has to show he can avoid slow starts.

Petty was a big time winner last night, he was solid for the most part and even looked good in the pocket. He is going to make the roster cuts interesting. Petty \ Geno will be the most interesting battle in the next few preseason games.

24 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Positives: Geno, Enunwa

Negatives: Run D(we miss snacks), Milliner is a lost cause

Hard to judge the run D with McLendon and Wilkerson missing. Jarvis Jenkins at NT is not a look we want to use during the regular season, and if he's out and Wilkerson is healthy, I have to think we play more 4-3 looks (Jenkins-Wilkerson-Williams-Sheldon) when we want to stop the run.

5 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Hard to judge the run D with McLendon and Wilkerson missing. Jarvis Jenkins at NT is not a look we want to use during the regular season, and if he's out and Wilkerson is healthy, I have to think we play more 4-3 looks (Jenkins-Wilkerson-Williams-Sheldon) when we want to stop the run.

I agree. The run D was clearly leaky b/c McLendon and Wilk were not out there. Nonetheless, tackling was poor until the 2nd half. Bowles probably got in their ear about it. 

32 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Positives: Geno, Enunwa

Negatives: Run D(we miss snacks), Milliner is a lost cause

As a fan, you see how Milliner played and you are ready to give up on him. As a coach you see Milliner in position on every play and you tip your hat to the WR. A. Robinson is no slouch and made some spectacular catches. Milliner's spot on the roster is secure for now.  

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

As a fan, you see how Milliner played and you are ready to give up on him. As a coach you see Milliner in position on every play and you tip your hat to the WR. A. Robinson is no slouch and made some spectacular catches. Milliner's spot on the roster is secure for now.  

Milliner's ball skills concern me more than anything.  He loses the ball 

teams will be picking on him the entire season he might be worse than Kyle Wilson

4 minutes ago, peebag said:

I don't know what you saw but Geno did not look sharp...

Give Geno a pristine pocket he can deliver the ball down the field. The second things break down he panics. He looked awfully similar to the last time we saw him. 

41 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Thank you @KRL, we needed a front page recap. :)  Much appreciated as always.

Along these lines I felt like Milliner was in the loser column last night. He had a chance to step up and win the 2nd \ 3rd job but this definitely pushes him down, last night was a loss for Dee.

As I look at the depth chart at CB, Milliner has to play.

McDougle, Williams are not #2 CB's

Unless Burris, who flashed last night, can step up I don't see Skrine as anything other than our slot guy.

Unless we find a vet during cut downs, Milliner is the guy.... for good or for worse.

Personally, I think after more TC and preseason reps, he'll be solid even if unspectacular.

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Give Geno a pristine pocket he can deliver the ball down the field. The second things break down he panics. He looked awfully similar to the last time we saw him. 

Actually thought just the opposite last night.  Pocket collapsed after a bad snap and he turned left and hit the ground.  Something he never did and needed to do.  

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually thought just the opposite last night.  Pocket collapsed after a bad snap and he turned left and hit the ground.  Something he never did and needed to do.  

Im not talking about broken plays. You dont get brownie points for not doing something idiotic. The training wheels guys my god.

20 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Milliner's ball skills concern me more than anything.  He loses the ball 

teams will be picking on him the entire season he might be worse than Kyle Wilson

No.

No one is worse than Kyle "Finger Wag" Wilson.

Just re-watched game; I don't believe Milliner wasn't as bad as we thought; these JAX WR are great - he was in good position - ball swipe was terrible (revis likely makes that play) on the long ball; his biggest mistake up, IMO, was the poor tackle on that catch and run (cost us like 40 yards).

Geno looked pretty bad; this is disappointing considering how well he has looked in practice. His best pass was the TD and that was set up by the great return (Marshal); he still seems to be telegraphing his throws, but the bad choice (or poor throw) to go to the covered receiver instead of an open Amaro (who had enough yards for 1st) seems to sum up his career. I hope this was just a 'bad' performance. He did have a few nice throws to compensate for some really bad ones. Hopefully next week he will have a better day, but he did seem to get better as the game wore on.

Petty - looked much better than last year, but it is still hard to tell. Our OL is so thin that there was no real blocking in the end of the game - so it is hard to tell if he will do enough to save his spot - again next week should show more.

Geno looked better than prior years but still seemed to lack confidence and the skill I would expect out of a fourth year QB who took most of the offseason reps. It's just part of one preseason game but not a good start to changing minds. 

Petty looked better too but similarly I don't think he did enough in one game to nab the #2 spot. 

If both players stay on this trajectory we might find Petty in the #2 slot.

Geno looked like Geno. Games 3 and 4 need to be dedicated to solving the backup QB situation between Petty and Geno, because if Petty is anywhere near Geno's equal that's a big win if we can cut the latter; helps a lot with roster space, particularly with the WRs. Really would be nice to be able to hang on to all those guys because it looks like all of them may have something going on. The Jets are in desperate need of some young, cheap gems at WR for when Decker and Marshall are gone (which is going to be sooner than later) and for that you have to play the odds, and to play the odds you need roster space. Carrying 4 quarterbacks is one of the surest ways to waste that.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Geno looked like Geno. Games 3 and 4 need to be dedicated to solving the backup QB situation between Petty and Geno, because if Petty is anywhere near Geno's equal that's a big win if we can cut the latter; helps a lot with roster space, particularly with the WRs. Really would be nice to be able to hang on to all those guys because it looks like all of them may have something going on. The Jets are in desperate need of some young, cheap gems at WR for when Decker and Marshall are gone (which is going to be sooner than later) and for that you have to play the odds.

Petty put no TD on the board

26 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Im not talking about broken plays. You dont get brownie points for not doing something idiotic. The training wheels guys my god.

You said the second things break down.  I didn't see all that many breakdowns.  Especially considering It's the first preseason game and he played ok.  I didn't see him doing much if any of what you saw.  Didn't see panic, stupid plays or dumb sacks.  

Tackling is always sloppy the first couple games of preseason due to the new rules about offseason practices without pads.  not too worried about it. Petty impressed, looked like the guy we thought we drafted imo.  Def wont make it to the PS.  I thought Dee played well, just didnt execute, he was in position, you have to tip your hat to JAX WRs.

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

ninja'd

I actually thought from a skill standpoint Petty was the best looking QB on both sides. Still needs development, but as good as Marshall, Peake and Davis played it is not Decker B. Marshall and Enunwa. Fitz was terrible buy managed to to hit a wide open Enunwa twice. Geno looked indecisive and seemed to take just a split longer than he should for each pass.

7 minutes ago, jett said:

Early In the season I expect the jets to get run on a bit. The absence of D. Harrison will effect us greatly. However I think after 3-4 games this unit will find its groove and settle down. 

They had Leo as the NT with the starting defense last night since they kept McClendon out due to a toe injury I think.  So our main Run Defender wasn't on teh field as well.  But it was interesting putting Leo at NT, it was where he got his sack too.

22 minutes ago, jett said:

Early In the season I expect the jets to get run on a bit. The absence of D. Harrison will effect us greatly. However I think after 3-4 games this unit will find its groove and settle down. 

Honestly the D  Kinda played crappy last preseason.. Once the real schemes where in placed they played much better week 1 and on. So I'm not really concerned 

18 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If Fitz hits that pass  in stride ,Enumwa is gone for the TD. Bad pass to a wide open receiver.

I haven't watched the replay, maybe the case. Or, maybe if he doesn't put more air under it, it gets swatted by a DL. 

Regardless. People need to accept that imperfect plays can still be good plays... watch the rest of the NFL. Even the perfectionists aren't perfect.

Brady his Welker in stride, and those cheating ****s have another ring.

30 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Honestly the D  Kinda played crappy last preseason.. Once the real schemes where in placed they played much better week 1 and on. So I'm not really concerned 

I have ZERO concerns about the defense. If I were to have any concerns at all, it wouldn't be how they looked in preseason... it would be that we have a sophomore DC at the helm of one of the most talented defenses (on paper) in the league.

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

Tackling is always sloppy the first couple games of preseason due to the new rules about offseason practices without pads.  not too worried about it. Petty impressed, looked like the guy we thought we drafted imo.  Def wont make it to the PS.  I thought Dee played well, just didnt execute, he was in position, you have to tip your hat to JAX WRs.

This. 

Anyone that watched both Geno and petty play last night and think Geno was better are nuts.   Two more games like last night and we will be rid of Geno

Archived