Geno Smith Trade Speculation Rumors: MERGED

AFJF

2 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Better is a relative term.  Do I want another backup QB other than Petty and Hackenberg for the time being?  Yes. 

Particularly with a 29/32 chance (90%) of us needing to revert to a backup sometime this season. 

When did he send the pictures around?

i just don't see how anyone could watch preseason and think that geno is any better than petty.  you can say they're both erratic, both bad, both nothing special, etc.  but in year 4 of geno's career he's exactly the same qb.  at least with petty there's clear progress from last year, and by season's end i would imagine he'll definitely be better than geno.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'm done with Geno -- but I STILL think it's a mistake to trade him.

This team is TOO stacked to throw away the season - and if Ryan Fitzpatrick should meet an untimely injury as early as CIN, we're proper fcked. We would have been in rough shape with Geno me thinks, but Petty starting games against live NFL defenses? That's Jimmy Clausen and 2010 panthers kind of Bad. 

no thanks. 

I think that's sensible.  This more than any year is a year we need to keep 4 QBs and if we trade, or let go of Geno we still will need a vet backup.  Next year is a different story. 

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'm done with Geno -- but I STILL think it's a mistake to trade him.

This team is TOO stacked to throw away the season - and if Ryan Fitzpatrick should meet an untimely injury as early as CIN, we're proper fcked. We would have been in rough shape with Geno me thinks, but Petty starting games against live NFL defenses? That's Jimmy Clausen and 2010 panthers kind of Bad. 

no thanks. 

Your point is valid on principle, I just don't know if I can take another year of a 3 or 4year NFL vet making game killing bone headed moves to lose games anymore.  A 2nd year guy?  A raw rookie?  Those I can grimace and delude myself into thinking the guy will improve. I just can't take the kind of errors he and his predecessor made any more from a 3 4 year guy.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Your point is valid on principle, I just don't know if I can take another year of a 3 or 4year NFL vet making game killing bone headed moves to lose games anymore.  A 2nd year guy?  A raw rookie?  Those I can grimace and delude myself into thinking the guy will improve. I just can't take the kind of errors he and his predecessor made any more from a 3 4 year guy.

that intentional grounding vs washington is exactly why i can't watch.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

i just don't see how anyone could watch preseason and think that geno is any better than petty.  you can say they're both erratic, both bad, both nothing special, etc.  but in year 4 of geno's career he's exactly the same qb.  at least with petty there's clear progress from last year, and by season's end i would imagine he'll definitely be better than geno.

I agree, but that's exactly why we need to keep 4.  If not Geno, who else and for what money?  Plus don't underestimate that Geno has played with first stringers in real game situations, all we've seen of Petty is with 3rd stringers in preseason and he's been erratic and downright bad at times in that role. 

Calls but no offers ... knew it was too good to be true ... they're all asking for us to pay his salary too. 

Hang tough Mike .. 10 sideline blast heaters is good.

Cut your losses - see if they'll take and pay Milliner and throw in another 5 heaters.

Now's your chance to un Idsdik ourselves

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I can appreciate what you're saying... and honestly, if Fitz goes down for the whole season - then the bath water is going out the window regardless... what's more likely though, is that we need someone to step in and win a couple games. Personally, I think Geno is unwinding as QB. But he's still 100x more likely to pull out a W than a guy who's gonna need a whole heap of reps and practice time as the starter before he can start a game versus PIT for example. 

Again, no thanks. Personal agendas aside, it makes no sense.  

29 minutes ago, Magnum said:

Geno is toxic to the team. He needs a new start with a new team. Bryce hasn't looked bad so enuff already with this guy. And another reason why we took Hack with a 2.

He seems pretty passive to me and he will have a new team next year, but I still say we need a backup with game experience this year. 

The Broncos are going to start a 2015 UFA who has never played.  His backup is this year's 1st round draft pick.

The Cowboys are going to start this year's first round draft pick.

The Jets should be able have their 2015 4th round draft pick be a backup.

LMAO...alll this angst over Geno...SMDH.

If they go with Petty as #2 and Fitz goes down, then sign a vet backup if you want to keep Hack from the field.

But MAYBE, just MAYBE, Petty might be a QB that learns on the job and improves with the experience , doesn't have thin skin and doesn't mope and isolate himself, and doesn't need to be 'protected' until he's 'totally ready' in oh like 4 years.

I know this is a foreign concept for Jets fans because we've never had a QB (at least recently) that has improved with continued experience as a starter....but, these QB's do exist.  Or so I am told.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Broncos are going to start a 2015 UFA who has never played.  His backup is this year's 1st round draft pick.

Nothing I said disputes that, but if we have the luxury of a QB with actual game experience why not have him in the mix as well.

4 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

LMAO...alll this angst over Geno...SMDH.

If they go with Petty as #2 and Fitz goes down, then sign a vet backup if you want to keep Hack from the field.

But MAYBE, just MAYBE, Petty might be a QB that learns on the job and improves with the experience , doesn't have thin skin and doesn't mope and isolate himself, and doesn't need to be 'protected' until he's 'totally ready' in oh like 4 years.

I know this is a foreign concept for Jets fans because we've never had a QB (at least recently) that has improved with continued experience as a starter....but, these QB's do exist.  Or so I am told.

So why haven't we signed one and gotten rid of Geno?

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

what if those guys are just better than our back up?

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

Especially since he was the backup for a few games early last year. 

16 minutes ago, varjet said:

By the way, those are likely the teams that would be interested in Geno as well.

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

Maybe Vikings?  I read somewhere few weeks back they were rumor to be interested in Geno as backup

also I wonder if these rumors are coming from Geno .....he probably can't wait to leave

I don't blame him. Both sides are ready for a divorce.

What's the highest we are thinking for Geno - a 5th?

Brandon Marshall was traded for a 5th.

Brandon Marshall is the best player on the Jets.

Geno Smith is awful.

No one on Earth who would give up a 5th for Geno Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, varjet said:

Thank you for injecting some sanity to this conversion. As far as I can remember,  every single quarterback that ever played in the NFL had NO EXPERIANCE at some point. 

Its a totally stupid argument to say we NEED a qb with game experience. I f fitz goes down, Geno will not be the guy to take us anywhere. I say that based on his play last year, this pre season and the fact that Mac and Bowles made sure they paid Fitz $12 million to come back. 

We have a decent team and if Fitzpatrick goes down, I say take our chances and dont look back. 

4 minutes ago, jfmckenna said:

Geno Smith is awful.

A 6th or 7th that becomes a conditional 5th based on playing time.  I think Dallas bites 

50 minutes ago, varjet said:

Exactly... Which should say VOLUMES about Petty if indeed he's not said back up. 

Volumes people.

2 minutes ago, jfmckenna said:

Geno Smith is awful.

Its always wise to set the trade standards with the Marshall trade, cuz we all know Jets really had to persuade the Bears to trade him away. Geno can easily fetch a 5th. If not, Jets can simply keep him and take the compensatory pick for him.

Having said that, trading away Geno would be the single most idiotic move Mac would make. Why? Because of Fitz. First, his playing style is what I call "head first". He's going to get injured. Its just a matter of time. He's had two seasons where he played all 16 games (2011 n 2012) in 11 years. If Fitz goes down, you really want to roll with Petty, who hasn't passed once in his career against NFL starters? That too when you have a playoff caliber team around? Second, Fitz has looked every bit a journeyman he has been this preseason. 

Geno may not hold a lot of value outside of NY, but he holds plenty of value for the Jets due to circumstances around him. He's not going anywhere. Petty isn't ready to be the #2 this year. Hack is right where we expected him to be, #4. 

56 minutes ago, varjet said:

The only difference is, Dak and Semen have played against starting Ds and have shown plenty. Besides, Cowboys nation is very lucky to have Dak, who has performed admirably albeit the preseason. Their seasons have derailed very quickly when Romo went down in previous seasons. 

2 minutes ago, jfmckenna said:

No chance.

Jerry Jones is stupid, but not that stupid.

No one is giving up anything for Geno Smith. Geno Smith is awful. He's cancer wrapped in AIDS.

Remember, he has a low cap number... as crazy as it sounds there could be a few teams bidding if we cut him.  Mac can play a little poker with JJ and let him think he has a couple of offers. 

I remember a stupid GM once traded a first round pick for Doug Jolly. 

Remember, he has a low cap number... as crazy as it sounds there could be a few teams bidding if we cut him.  Mac can play a little poker with JJ and let him think he has a couple of offers. 

I remember a stupid GM once traded a first round pick for Doug Jolly. 

You just answered the question.

If a team wants Geno Smith, they will wait for him to be cut.

No one wants Geno Smith, just like no one wants cancer wrapped in AIDS.

Archived