Are we more dominant without Sheldon Richardson in the lineup?

CobraVerde

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We were playing a scrambling QB so the D line is more concerned about containment then they were about getting pressure. Not to mention the Bills only had 50 plays (Compared to the jets 71). 

The one time Catapano tried to be a hero and go way outside on a pass rush, Taylor burned him for a nice run. 

This.

They did the same thing that the Ravens did a week ago.  Keep Taylor in the pocket, don't give him lanes to run in if the pass rush doesn't get to him.  Hurt the sack number but took away Taylors strength.  

I think it is a fair point; are we better suited for a 3-4 or a 4-3? When Richardson is in, we shift to the 4-3 base. Last night was a certain game plan designed to stop the run and prevent Taylor from running; it mostly worked. And, the only time it really burned us is with that broken play TD. But, we won the game (thanks mostly to the offense).

Let's see how the DL plays in a few more games. With more pocket QBs like Brady, etc we may be killer with Richardson in. If we decide we are better off without him, I would imagine there will be plenty of teams willing to take him.

Richardson is and under achiever and a moron one to boot.  the guy is still living off his great 1st year imo.  Taking a taunting penalty when your team has just given up an 80 yard td takes a special kind of stupid.

As for Lee I've not changed my opinion on him at all.  Watch the last Buffalo TD, he was pure awful on that play and Bowles let him know it.

Yes, I'm about to change the subject because arguing about who is more 'expendable' L.Williams or S.Richardson, at this point in the season, and this point in both player's careers is silly-IMO.  

But did you guys see the power hit behind the line of scrimmage our shrimp LB Lee put on the RB in the 4th quarter as he shot through the gap and absolutely blew up the play?

Dude is FAST and instinctive. Where's @Mainejet when you need him????

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

This.

They did the same thing that the Ravens did a week ago.  Keep Taylor in the pocket, don't give him lanes to run in if the pass rush doesn't get to him.  Hurt the sack number but took away Taylors strength.  

What they didn't do was keep safeties deep which the Ravens did...and we should have done. 

16 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I think it is a fair point; are we better suited for a 3-4 or a 4-3? When Richardson is in, we shift to the 4-3 base. Last night was a certain game plan designed to stop the run and prevent Taylor from running; it mostly worked. And, the only time it really burned us is with that broken play TD. But, we won the game (thanks mostly to the offense).

Let's see how the DL plays in a few more games. With more pocket QBs like Brady, etc we may be killer with Richardson in. If we decide we are better off without him, I would imagine there will be plenty of teams willing to take him.

We ran a 4 man front against Cinci as well. Has nothing to do with Shelly. Lawrence Thomas started that game in Richardson's spot. 

8 hours ago, JetsFan12 said:

He's still much better and more talented than Williams who imo is the odd man out.

I certainly hope you are talking about MArcus

Jets fans 1-11 all know the Williamson may be the most gifted D lineman in the league. If he puts it all together and works hard enough he'll start stacking 1st team all pro's

Last night's Defensive scheme was to keep Taylor in the pocket. Beat the Jets with his arm not with his legs.  The blitz schemes seem to not be as agressive and everybody was staying in their lanes and trying to keep containment. And he was being spied most of the game. Unfortunately he completed a couple bombs and that game on paper should have been a blow out. None the less it was a win. I don't think it had anything to do with Richardson being on the line.

23 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, that one baffled me the most.  There was no one anywhere close to that throw away.

Bowles was screaming for the call.  And the crew was too busy bs'ing about something else, never even commented or showed a replay.  

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Richardson is and under achiever and a moron one to boot.  the guy is still living off his great 1st year imo.  Taking a taunting penalty when your team has just given up an 80 yard td takes a special kind of stupid.

As for Lee I've not changed my opinion on him at all.  Watch the last Buffalo TD, he was pure awful on that play and Bowles let him know it.

The taunting was stupid, but I like that he shows emotion and isn't fine with what happened.  Leonard just seems like a robot.....

As for Lee I completely disagree.  You see the makings of an animal and playmaker.  Not saying he doesn't need to tighten things up but he's only going to get much, much better.

The statistical drop off both years is somewhat odd but not like they were getting 7 sacks per game with or without. Different team, different situation. They blitzed a lot more last week, non-mobile QB, were home. As Ape said, a lot of holding non calls...

But the thought crossed my mind too last night. 

1 hour ago, JetsFan12 said:

Yes, and the results and game changing plays speak for themselves....

Again, you appear to be watching different results and different plays, though his jumping offsides last year in Buffalo week 17 on an obvious "draw them off" situation could be considered game changing.  Sheldon has clearly leveled off at this point of his career, his missing several games due to being a colossal idiot has probably contributed to that.  If there is one of the three that is not worth the long term investment it's Sheldon and it's not close.

Richardson probably made the play of the game, with the stop on 4th and 1. Who knows what happens if they convert there.

Totally different line responsibilities in last nights game, than against the Bengals. Last night they had to maintain their lanes and keep in front of the qb. You saw what happens if he breaks containment. They wanted to try and keep him in the pocket first, get sacks second. Totally different plans.

13 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I think OP is misreading the situation.  First, Sheldon is playing a different position this year than last year.  Last year he was a straight-up OLB.  Bowles switched to a base 4-3 this year and has Sheldon playing weak side DE, where he can manhandle finesse LTs and worry less about containing the edge run.  I like it.

The Jets game plan tonight was to not sell out for the sack, but instead focus on containing Taylor and making him throw from the pocket.  It was a good game plan, they gave up 24 points after adjusting for the Bills defensive TD, which isn't an abomination for a shootout type of game with 2 deep ball TDs on miscues by the secondary.  Don't misread it as Sheldon not playing well.  Sheldon made a big stop on 4th and 1 tonight too.

Exactly when did Taylor hurt the Jets when he was able to get outside. D-line did not push the pocket. Dalton and Taylor are different QB's. Taylor is at his best when he gets outside and is a threat to run. Dalton is a pocket passer and little theat to run you can push the pocket on guys like him and sacks will occur. Smith is a pocket guy and expect to see lots of pressure on him 

11 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

This.  This is a silly thread looking for something to complain about.

Hint: the defensive line is not it.

Why does it have to be complaining when someone brings up a point of discussion?  It's actually valid and something a little different than the same Geno sucks, Fitz sucks BS we've had on here for the past year.

20 hours ago, CobraVerde said:

Yeah he had a big play but this was something I had my eye since last year when he served 4 games. It's one week 2 and his first week back but keep an eye on this.

This is actually very interesting to me. I was thinking about this last night as well.  No one will deny that Richardson is a very talented player but last season the Jets were on a major tear in the sack dept for the first 4 games of the season. Sheldon's return looked like the missing piece that would make that D line even more unstoppable. What happened instead was a noticeable slow down.

We all know that last nights game plan was to be cautious not to over commit the rush and let Tyrod slip by for big runs. That has to be taken into account of course but the drop off from 7 sacks to zero is still something. I wonder if when Sheldon comes back into the fold the chemistry is somehow altered rendering the unit less effective overall.

Add to it the first Defensive play of the game I saw Sheldon get in the face of an O lineman after the whistle and an early taunting penalty on him and it's not something to completely overlook. Something changes when he comes in.

He did stop that 4th and 1 now didn't he? :D

5 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Here's a question that occurred to me since on poster mentioned trading him for a late 1st round draft pick.  

Where are we more staked and have better depth, DE or WR?  It's a tough call and quite a unique situation for this team.   

Incredibly unique.

I can't remember when we actually had a group of WR's this deep. It's very exciting.

I liked Braylon, Holmes and Cotch a lot too, but this is a whole different level when you add Enunwa, Marshall 2, Anderson into the mix. Don't forget Devin smith is waiting in the infirmary as well. 

Archived