Todd Bowles says no loss in confidence in Fitz

AFJF

9 hours ago, Kevin L said:

None of those guys have the same impact on the outcome of a game as the QB. 2 weeks, 13 points, 9 interceptions.

Half the interceptions the past two weeks either weren't Fitz' fault or were in garbage time, they wouldn't normally occur in the course of a game.  Forget KC, that was clearly a crazy anomaly.

Let's look at yesterday's game.  If our team is so fragile that it cannot overcome a single INT on the opponents 39 yard line, a full 61 yards away, we've got a bigger problem than lacking a franchise quarterback.  Fitz didn't throw some pick 6, he didn't give the ball to the Seahawks on the Jets 10 yard line, let's be real.  We lost the game not because of an INT but because our defense let the Seahawks march 61 yards down the field in the 4th quarter and score the game breaking touchdown.

Russell Wilson pass complete short left to Doug Baldwin for 4 yards (tackle by Buster Skrine)
Russell Wilson pass complete deep left to Jimmy Graham for 24 yards (tackle by Darron Lee)
Russell Wilson pass complete deep left to Paul Richardson for 27 yards (tackle by Calvin Pryor)
Russell Wilson pass complete short right to Christine Michael for 6 yards, touchdown

It took all of 2 minutes.  4 passes.  Gashed the secondary.  And this is Ryan Fitzpatrick's fault.

You people really need to watch the games.

SAR I

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Half the interceptions the past two weeks either weren't Fitz' fault or were in garbage time, they wouldn't normally occur in the course of a game.  Forget KC, that was clearly a crazy anomaly.

Let's look at yesterday's game.  If our team is so fragile that it cannot overcome a single INT on the opponents 39 yard line, a full 61 yards away, we've got a bigger problem than lacking a franchise quarterback.  Fitz didn't throw some pick 6, he didn't give the ball to the Seahawks on the Jets 10 yard line, let's be real.  We lost the game not because of an INT but because our defense let the Seahawks march 61 yards down the field in the 4th quarter and score the game breaking touchdown.

Russell Wilson pass complete short left to Doug Baldwin for 4 yards (tackle by Buster Skrine)
Russell Wilson pass complete deep left to Jimmy Graham for 24 yards (tackle by Darron Lee)
Russell Wilson pass complete deep left to Paul Richardson for 27 yards (tackle by Calvin Pryor)
Russell Wilson pass complete short right to Christine Michael for 6 yards, touchdown

It took all of 2 minutes.  4 passes.  Gashed the secondary.  And this is Ryan Fitzpatrick's fault.

SAR I

the pass defense is bad.  sometimes very bad.  but good teams score 20+ points even on good defenses.  to compete with good teams, therefore, you need to also be able to score.  this week so far, 17 teams have scored at least 20 points, out of 28 (2 byes, 2 playing tonight)., that's over 60%.  

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Fitz wouldn't be throwing those garbage time INTs if he could actually score points. I'm not giving Fitz a pass for that when he is the reason why we are down in garbage time in the first place.

Half the teams in the league score 24 points per game, but somehow our defense fails us when we can only score 10.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

the pass defense is bad.  sometimes very bad.  but good teams score 20+ points even on good defenses.  to compete with good teams, therefore, you need to also be able to score.  this week so far, 17 teams have scored at least 20 points, out of 28 (2 byes, 2 playing tonight)., that's over 60%.  

There is no question that if we can score 50 points each we we will go undefeated.  However, as you are aware, we don't have a franchise quarterback, we have JAG who is only capable of so much.  20 completions, 250 yards, 2 TD's, 1 INT, that's Fitzpatrick's usual stat line.

Let's pretend for a moment that Fitzpatrick didn't throw the first INT.  Jets just went 3 and out, punted the ball to the Seattle 39 yard line.  And then the defense in 4 plays in 2 minutes lets them march right down the field for the backbreaking TD.  We would be going crazy on the D, right?  We'd be crushing Revis and Harris and the other clowns as they deserve.  Well, let's have it.  See, that D is build for youth and speed and we've invested huge money on high draft picks and they blew the game yesterday far, far worse than the JAG quarterback. 

SAR I

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

I am not a Ryan Fitzpatrick fan.  I accept the fact that he is our best option at QB and that he is playing at the level all fans should expect.  He's 33, he's on his 6th team, if he were capable of playing consistently and at a high level he would still be with his first team.

If you're looking for a single point of blame, leave the old man quarterback alone and start with the areas of the team that are young and capable like our pass rush, like our LB's, and especially our secondary.  Joe Montana couldn't win games with a secondary gagging this badly, every game getting burned deep, multiple times, defenders out of position, it's a clown show back there.

SAR I

There is ZERO possibility that he is the best option at QB. ZERO. Geno, Petty and probably even Christian would play better than what he has shown. He is terrible. He is incredibly inaccurate, weak armed and football DUMB. He is a gunslinger without the tools to be a gunslinger. He is playing on a team with excellent to superior weapons in the most QB friendly offense in the NFL and he is the worst starting QB in the NFL. Geno with none of these weapons and with Rex trotting out the wildcat and other nonsense performed better and actually has the ability to win games in the 4th quarter. Ryan Fiztpatrick is now like 7-37 against winning teams. STOP with the "best chance to win" nonsense because it is sure as FUUCK not true with this fraud,

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

There is no question that if we can score 50 points each we we will go undefeated.  However, as you are aware, we don't have a franchise quarterback, we have JAG who is only capable of so much.  20 completions, 250 yards, 2 TD's, 1 INT, that's Fitzpatrick's usual stat line.

Let's pretend for a moment that Fitzpatrick didn't throw the first INT.  Jets just went 3 and out, punted the ball to the Seattle 39 yard line.  And then the defense in 4 plays in 2 minutes lets them march right down the field for the backbreaking TD.  We would be going crazy on the D, right?  We'd be crushing Revis and Harris and the other clowns as they deserve.  Well, let's have it.  See, that D is build for youth and speed and we've invested huge money on high draft picks and they blew the game yesterday far, far worse than the JAG quarterback. 

SAR I

i'm not defending the d at all.  but sometimes you have to be able to win 30-27.  until they find a real qb they're forced to hold other teams to less than 20 points and when you look around the league there are plenty of teams not making the playoffs scoring more than 20 points.  the jets have 1 way to win games and it's difficult.  there's too much size and speed on offense around the league to really shut teams down unless they have a guy like fitz at qb.

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick put up Russell Wilson numbers in the first half, moved the ball against the best defense in the NFL.

Ryan Fitzpatrick put up Geno Smith numbers in the second half, didn't move the ball, turned the ball over.

Look up the definition of the word "mediocre".  Fitzpatrick had an above-average first half and a below-average second half.  This should not shock you.  It's who he is.  The Jets are 1-0 against scrubs and 0-3 against playoff teams.  And this is because they are not a playoff team and don't have a playoff caliber roster, a playoff caliber pass rush, a playoff caliber secondary, and certainly not a playoff caliber coaching staff.  The quarterback is actually one of our smaller issues right now.

SAR I

Seattle literally just gave up the dumpoff to Bilal KNOWING that Fitz could not throw over the top or hurt them when the field compressed so he put up some numbers but was completely ineffective at running the offense. He is literally off the mark on every throw, He can only do like 3 things: back shoulder, scree and dumpoff. And defenses know it. He is the easiest QB in the NFL to defend and you rationalizing his play by deflecting to the defense is idiotic. Fitz should not even be benched he should be cut today to send the correct message to this team.

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

I could have used another bad quarterback in my Fitzpatrick analogy but Geno was the first one that came to mind.  Would it make you feel better if I change it to Johnny Manziel?  I can, if you like.

SAR I

Even Johnny Manziel isn't quite in the 1 TD NINE INT realm as your man crush, who, because you lack any grace or integrity, you've attempted to distance yourself from.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Well who exactly said we are a "good" team yet?  Beating cupcakes on a 4th place schedule last year?  Hype from the New York press?  Social media dimwits?

We are a 4-12 John Idzik disaster held together with rubber cement and duct tape, that's all we are.  We are in the middle of a 4-5 year rebuild and some of the flashy names are making you see Lombardi way, way too prematurely.

You can't dissect a team like this and scrutinize a single position, we are a work-in-progress, not some 10 win team just a few players away.  That's a ridiculous mistake in judgement if you feel that way.

SAR I

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

31 other NFL teams said NO to Fitzpatrick 

31 other NFL teams would have benched him by now 

This is not correct at all.  NFL teams are notorious for sticking with QBs far too long, its more common than teams actually making changes.  Arizona actually has a super bowl calibre team and Palmer is deep sixing them and the coach whom we all love as a good coach is going to go with him until they fail.

Ryan Fitzpatrick gets decked

The Seahawks’ Cassius Marsh, right, lowers the boom on Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick during the second quarter at MetLife Stadium on Oct. 2, 2016, in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)

The most obvious reason why the Jets are off to a bad start is the same reason that has plagued the franchise for the vast majority of its history — the quarterback/coach combination.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

This is a lie. If it is the truth well in that case, we are losing faith in you Todd.

Disheartening to hear his presser today...sounded a lot like Rex.  "We made plays", "we're close".  What plays and close to what, exactly?

He also said the issue isn't communication despite Mo, Marshall, Skrine, Pryor and Fitz saying there are communication issues.

On 10/2/2016 at 4:33 PM, T0mShane said:

If the words "he gives us the best chance to win" comes out of Bowles' mouth this week, I'm funding the blimp myself.

Jets coach Todd Bowles says Ryan Fitzpatrick is 'our best chance to win'

Coach Todd Bowles said he's sticking with Fitzpatrick based on what he did last season. You remember that, of course. Fitzgerald enjoyed a career year, setting the franchise record with 31 touchdown passes. Bowles is hoping that guy returns.

"Right now, it's chemistry, obviously," Bowles said Monday, explaining why he remains committed to Fitzpatrick. "Everybody has an arm and can throw the football, but based on what he did last year and the things they accomplished last year, going into the season -- from a confidence standpoint -- he's our best chance to win."

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63614/jets-coach-todd-bowles-says-ryan-fitzpatrick-is-our-best-chance-to-win

26 minutes ago, Pac said:

Coach Todd Bowles said he's sticking with Fitzpatrick based on what he did last season. You remember that, of course. Fitzgerald enjoyed a career year, setting the franchise record with 31 touchdown passes. Bowles is hoping that guy returns.

"Right now, it's chemistry, obviously," Bowles said Monday, explaining why he remains committed to Fitzpatrick. "Everybody has an arm and can throw the football, but based on what he did last year and the things they accomplished last year, going into the season -- from a confidence standpoint -- he's our best chance to win."

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63614/jets-coach-todd-bowles-says-ryan-fitzpatrick-is-our-best-chance-to-win

Not surprised to seeBowles being second-guessed. In many ways warranted, but in some ways I think people overlook that in each of the last 5 games, in the games we lost, the two central players on both sides of the ball...  Revis and Fitz... have been absolutely horrible.

Only so much a coach can do when players aren't executing.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Translation: not ready, or afraid, to make hard decision. Doesn't have sack for controversy, doing something unpopular with some players... incapable of putting team first.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Translation: not ready, or afraid, to make hard decision. Doesn't have sack for controversy, doing something unpopular with some players... incapable of putting team first.

Sad but true.  I thought the guy had more balls than this.

If we get waxed next week, (which I can't see how we don't), and Bowles is still giving us this crap, then he'll be inviting the controversy and acrimony whether he likes it or not.

The season is not yet a wash..  You can't keep trotting out this bearded mess and going all Baghdad Bob on us.

23 hours ago, SAR I said:

Once again, Jets fans scapegoat the quarterback, blame everything on a single INT, when in fact it's players like Darrelle Revis and David Harris and Calvin Pryor who should be the target of their vitriol.  It's ridiculous how so much emphasis is put on the journeyman quarterback when so many other established Jet veterans are sucking so badly.

SAR I

They're not mutually exclusive, you know. Crappy inconsistent QB play can exist with crappy defense. Both have massively contributed to our losses this season. 

Tampa Bay's coach came out in his presser going on and on about how concerned he is about the QB and his 8 ints thus far. Their 1st overall pick from last year. Bowles is going on about having no concern over his career journeyman WB on pace for 40 ints, saying it's a slump. News flash-Fitz's entire career is a slump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

As far as Bowels goes, there's nothing preventing Woody from calling Harbaugh or Herman's agent is there? Or does he need Casserly to tell him that?

Herman Edwards?Really? That would be unfathomable even just to inquire of him would set off a media bomb.

Harbaugh is second only to Saban in college HC salary. I think he is signed till 2022. Aint going nowhere he has his dream job.

3 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Herman Edwards?Really? That would be unfathomable even just to inquire of him would set off a media bomb.

Harbaugh is second only to Saban in college HC salary. I think he is signed till 2022. Aint going nowhere he has his dream job.

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/m-footbl-coaches.html

The most sought after coach in the nation currently

On 10/2/2016 at 5:06 PM, SAR I said:

One of today's INT's was in desperation time and another one was on Brandon Marshall.  The pick that hurt killed a drive but it put the Seahawks on their own 39, hardly a big challenge for any decent defense.  No one on D or ST's gave Fitz decent field position either. Brutal loss all around. 

SAR I

I'm late to this thread because I just didn't feel like posting during or after that game, but this is not really an accurate way of retelling the story.

If you want to blame Jets for his bad stat of an interception, that goes both ways in that it was a Seattle player that let a sure pick 6 go right through both hands. Intellectually dishonest to say one shoulda-woulda-coulda play shouldn't count against him but another one should count in his favor.

He stinks. The downturn in his play is more along the lines of: the 2016 Seahawks aren't the 2015 Jaguars, the 2016 Chiefs aren't the 2015 Titans, and the 2016 Bengals aren't the injury-riddled 2015 Redskins.

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm late to this thread because I just didn't feel like posting during or after that game, but this is not really an accurate way of retelling the story.

If you want to blame Jets for his bad stat of an interception, that goes both ways in that it was a Seattle player that let a sure pick 6 go right through both hands. Intellectually dishonest to say one shoulda-woulda-coulda play shouldn't count against him but another one should count in his favor.

He stinks. The downturn in his play is more along the lines of: the 2016 Seahawks aren't the 2015 Jaguars, the 2016 Chiefs aren't the 2015 Titans, and the 2016 Bengals aren't the injury-riddled 2015 Redskins.

So...you're saying he sucks, we suck.  AMirite?

On 10/2/2016 at 4:33 PM, Matt39 said:

They should ask him about the secondary

Absolutely. The Jets aren't going to beat anyone until they bench Calvin Pryor and Gilchrist. Neither has a clue mentally and physically Pryor has two left feet and can't cover or tackle in space. Bowles defense must be written in Latin or something the way Gilchrist keeps screwing up and forget Skrine, he hasn't made a play yet. Marcus Williams is a pi$$ poor tackler leaving only Darrell Revis being halfway decent. The Jets need to overhaul this unit and quickly.

Archived