"Todd Bowles did not want Paxton Lynch"- Adam Schein on Sirius

Matt39

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He will be judged by no one other than fans on that stupid topic.  The Panthers drafted Jimmy Clausen as a high second round pick (higher than Hack), bombed the year after, and picked Cam Newton in 2011.  Same thing can happen to us.  There's no way we could do that if we took Paxton in the first.  Macc didn't think he was a QB worth the risk of spending a first rounder.  I agreed with that to be honest.  There is a huge difference in risk between a 1st round guy and a 2nd round guy.

Macc will at least be given a chance to use a first round pick on a QB (unless Petty or Hack work out) and Todd Bowles will at least be given 3, maybe even 4, years to prove he can be the coach.  The sooner this circlejerk fantasy of firing everyone ends, the more tolerable this board will be.  It has become unreadable.

Eventually Maccagnan is going to have to tie the wagon to a QB not named Fitzpatrick....his two picks are sitting 3rd and 4th on the depth chart currently.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

He will be judged by no one other than fans on that stupid topic.  The Panthers drafted Jimmy Clausen as a high second round pick (higher than Hack), bombed the year after, and picked Cam Newton in 2011.  Same thing can happen to us.  There's no way we could do that if we took Paxton in the first.  Macc didn't think he was a QB worth the risk of spending a first rounder.  I agreed with that to be honest.  There is a huge difference in risk between a 1st round guy and a 2nd round guy.

Macc will at least be given a chance to use a first round pick on a QB (unless Petty or Hack work out) and Todd Bowles will at least be given 3-4 years to prove he can be the coach.  The sooner this circlejerk fantasy of firing everyone ends, the more tolerable this board will be.  It has become unreadable.

You live and die in this league by getting a QB, there is ZERO getting around it and he doesn't have to worry about the fans, the owners are the guys making the decisions.  I also agree he and bowles will be given time.  And like it or not comparables are always made with the most important position in the league.  The new Cleveland regime passed on Wentz, if they don't find a QB in a year or two and Wentz keeps trending upwards they will pay.

5 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

I'm at work so don't have the time to research.  But if you please let me know.    Another point also, he didnt choose players, he scouted players.  He did not develop players also so anything you tell me can not directly be blamed on him.

He's the GM he's involved in everything drafting,signing free agents,extending contracts it is all on him. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He's the GM he's involved in everything drafting,signing free agents,extending contracts it is all on him. 

We were talking about the past not the present.  Obviously he is the GM now but he wasn't one in the past.  He was a scout.  

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Ok then what QB's as a scout can he put on his resume, 

I just told you I'm at work and don't have the time to do that at the moment but please go ahead and do the research for me and let me know.  I also said that he only scouted and didn't choose these players so he would not be directly responsible for any player chosen in the past since he wasn't the GM.  

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Just said it fwiw and had several sources confirm he was the guy hat persuaded he Jets not to go QB there. Great.

That's ok by me. After what I saw yesterday, I don't want him either. According to most on here, if you don't look good in your first game, you should be benched and then cut. So Paxton STINKS.

10 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

I just told you I'm at work and don't have the time to do that at the moment but please go ahead and do the research for me and let me know.  I also said that he only scouted and didn't choose these players so he would not be directly responsible for any player chosen in the past since he wasn't the GM.  

Following Maccagnan's graduation from Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut with a bachelor's degree in economics, he joined the Washington Redskins scouting department as an intern during the teams training camp in 1990. He then joined the front-office of the newly-found World League of American Football as a league scout before becoming the director of player personnel for the London Monarchs in 1991, who went on to win the first World Bowl in England after a 9-1 regular season finish.

He spent one and a half seasons in the Canadian Football League (CFL) as a director of scouting and player personnel for the Ottawa Roughriders and Saskatchewan Roughriders from 1993 to 1994.

Maccagnan was reunited with the Washington Redskins as a scout from 1995 to 2000. He then joined the Houston Texans shortly after Charley Casserly's appointment as general manager, who had previously spent 23 seasons with the Redskins. He spent 15 years with the organization, starting as a coordinator of college scouting, rising to his most recent position in 2011 as Director of College Scouting.[2]

Maccagnan was hired as the general manager of the New York Jets on January 13, 2015.[1] Shortly following his hiring, Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles was hired as the new head coach.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Following Maccagnan's graduation from Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut with a bachelor's degree in economics, he joined the Washington Redskins scouting department as an intern during the teams training camp in 1990. He then joined the front-office of the newly-found World League of American Football as a league scout before becoming the director of player personnel for the London Monarchs in 1991, who went on to win the first World Bowl in England after a 9-1 regular season finish.

He spent one and a half seasons in the Canadian Football League (CFL) as a director of scouting and player personnel for the Ottawa Roughriders and Saskatchewan Roughriders from 1993 to 1994.

Maccagnan was reunited with the Washington Redskins as a scout from 1995 to 2000. He then joined the Houston Texans shortly after Charley Casserly's appointment as general manager, who had previously spent 23 seasons with the Redskins. He spent 15 years with the organization, starting as a coordinator of college scouting, rising to his most recent position in 2011 as Director of College Scouting.[2]

Maccagnan was hired as the general manager of the New York Jets on January 13, 2015.[1] Shortly following his hiring, Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles was hired as the new head coach.

This is from Wikipedia and is absolutely useless.  

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Actually Lynch hasn't proven anything yet. And Lee has shown something. He was a good pick and fit what the team needed a fast linebacker. He is showing he can play in the NFL. He got beat yesterday a few times but his coverage of skill position players wasn't bad. Not too many linebackers can stay with those guys. It makes you think when he gets better he can be a very good and valuable player. 

Don't you know every QB the Jets didn't draft is way better than anything the Jets did? What are Lynch's stats for this year? Can you imagine the panic, hate, hired banners if that Jets would have traded for Lynch and still chose to sit him. OMG - this place would explode.

I don't know if Lynch has the mental toughness to play QB in the NFL; let alone in NY on a team that is still rebuilding. But hey - anything is better than tiny LB

11 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Don't you know every QB the Jets didn't draft is way better than anything the Jets did? What are Lynch's stats for this year? Can you imagine the panic, hate, hired banners if that Jets would have traded for Lynch and still chose to sit him. OMG - this place would explode.

I don't know if Lynch has the mental toughness to play QB in the NFL; let alone in NY on a team that is still rebuilding. But hey - anything is better than tiny LB

I think Lynch is going to be pretty good. I mean they thought enough of him to let him be the backup. And he did lead the team to a W after coming in late in the 1st half with a 7 point lead. It wasn't garbage time like I said before that was incorrect. I looked it up and at least read the box score. But it's just one half of one game and he's playing on a team unlike ours that does not give up big plays to the opponent's offense regularly. If Denver was playing against Seattle yesterday it would have been a much tougher game for Russell Wilson. Every tendency of the Jets defense they saw on film came to fruition on Sunday. It wasn't that hard of game for Wilson to win. The Jets were just outplayed. And out coached. 

54 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Eventually Maccagnan is going to have to tie the wagon to a QB not named Fitzpatrick....his two picks are sitting 3rd and 4th on the depth chart currently.

Can agree with that. I'm also a firm believer that Petty would have won the number 2 spot if he didn't get hurt amd that if anybody is going to come in for Fitzpatrick, it's going to be him, not Geno.  I also don't blame him for not tying his wagon to the only 1st round QB left in the last draft.  We tried to move up for 1 of the big two (I think it was Wentz) and didn't.  After that fell through, I never thought we were taking a first round QB.  

This year hasn't gone well so far.  I think there is a much stronger chance that we take one this year.  Especially if Hack shows no growth and Petty bombs when given an opportunity.  Guys like Kaaya, Chad Kelly, Watson, Kizer etc. are all better prospects than Lynch though, IMHO, and are worth that risk.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

You live and die in this league by getting a QB, there is ZERO getting around it and he doesn't have to worry about the fans, the owners are the guys making the decisions.  I also agree he and bowles will be given time.  And like it or not comparables are always made with the most important position in the league.  The new Cleveland regime passed on Wentz, if they don't find a QB in a year or two and Wentz keeps trending upwards they will pay.

Again, I can agree with this. However I, like Macc, didn't think Paxton was worth that risk.  Wentz?  I would have traded the farm for him.  Didn't work like that though.  This year is a better QB class and, in my opinion, we'll have a much higher pick to use.

6 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

P. Lynch 14/24 170 1

First action off the bench due to injury. Long way to go obviously, but a good start. While I don't dislike Lee you don't pass on prototypical QBs for lbs. Lee hasn't proven much either, he's merely shown potential.

I understand that the kid is a rookie and i was really hoping he was going to be our pick. If you put R. Fitzpatrick instead of P. Lynch infront of those numbers we have 20 threads about how he is mediocre or "hot garbage"

5 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I understand that the kid is a rookie and i was really hoping he was going to be our pick. If you put R. Fitzpatrick instead of P. Lynch infront of those numbers we have 20 threads about how he is mediocre or "hot garbage"

As a rookie who only played a half and came in off an injury. Context..... Fitz had those numbers as a starter opening day.

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

what sources?  Schein has been known to be an extreme exaggerator at times, although fairly reliable most of the time.

Frankly, I'd be shocked if Mac let Bowles dictate personnel decisions as important as this.  I call bullsheet on this, absent the sources.

If Adam Schecter or Jay Glazer said this, different story. Schein is a clown. 

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Back to the Rex Ryan years of the coach dictating how drafts go?  If that is the case don't fire Bowles fire macacagnan.  Most coaches should have very little input into drafting at all, I'd kick their asses out of the draft process if it was me.

I totally agree. The only ones making the decisions should be the scouts and the GM. HC's coach, GM's draft, owners own and players play. Everyone has their role and Mac should draft the players his scouting department says and pay little mind to the desires of HC's who are shortsighted and want guys that fit their side of the ball. Look at Rex and Tanny, defense every year, with second round busts every year.

50 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Gee a all defensive minded jets hc wanted to selective defensive over offense.. Why does this sound so familiar? ? Wish our gm stopped listening to coaches when it comes to draft..

I wish fans would stop believing every HC kills our drafts.  Same old story with every draft from Kotite on. 

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

He's better than Fitz is currently and Prescott is light years ahead of Fitz 

Fitz ia and was a bum if Macc wasn't smart enough to realize he only beat 2 teams with winning records last season then we have bigger problems 

Does it matter to you Dak hasn't beat a team with a winning record?

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I wish fans would stop believing every HC kills our drafts.  Same old story with every draft from Kotite on. 

I wouldn't say "kill" but anyone with eyes and a brain can figure out defensive guru's like Rex and Bowles push defensive, defense , defense.. Rex had his paws over most of the picks when he was hc.. That was no secret 

7 hours ago, Dcat said:

what sources?  Schein has been known to be an extreme exaggerator at times, although fairly reliable most of the time.

Frankly, I'd be shocked if Mac let Bowles dictate personnel decisions as important as this.  I call bullsheet on this, absent the sources.

Like anyone - Schein or not - could out the leak. That could only happen if the source is an ex-employee who isn't seeking future NFL employment. Like if it's Gailey and he's just decided to retire after this last coaching gig anyway so he doesn't care about ratting out his HC. Anyone else gets outed and the source then gets fired and maybe never gets hired again by anyone else.

Really who could the source be? It isn't an infinite number of people. Most likely are people who would/could have otherwise wanted Lynch. So Maccagnan for one, especially since it shifts some of the blame off himself in terms of player assessment (but he's not any less to blame as a GM frankly); Gailey, since he's surely in the war room; Jets scouts who may have given Lynch a big thumbs up when asked by Maccagnan. Possibly Kevin Patullo as well. Then you have to cross off people who are unlikely to have any occasion to speak with Adam Schein.

BTW, it certainly fits so I don't doubt it. Bowles doesn't want 1st round picks who can't contribute as rookies; Bowles is the one who flatly said Fitz is the starter before the team re-signed him; Bowles is the one who kept Fitz in there even after throwing his 4th, and then his 5th (pick 6 at that), interception of a single football game; he's also the one who stuck with an injured Fitz after messing up his thumb; he calls a 6-interception game merely "a bad day at the office" which makes it sound like an impossibly bad game such as that just happens to everyone from time to time. Bowles must have some major man-love for Fitzpatrick. 

So I'd say so far I'm buying it. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I wouldn't say "kill" but anyone with eyes and a brain can figure out defensive guru's like Rex and Bowles push defensive, defense , defense.. Rex had his paws over most of the picks when he was hc.. That was no secret 

While anyone who understands that the draft and its results are squarely on the GM, who's job depends on it. So why would he ever pass on a player he want to draft someone he doesn't want?  Especially when it's a QB.  Makes absolutely no sense.  It's not a DLman over a LB, it's a QB. 

Also anyone confirm this story?  Haven't heard it anywhere other than here.  Google has nothing.  Who would the source be?  Who would know that Macc wanted Lynch and Bowles said no to it?  Seems awful shady. 

Archived