The NY Jets should stand up and take note of what the Mets just did

ASH1962

The Mets season ended after lost last night to a pitcher who put forth one of (if not) the best pitching performance(s) my 54 year old eyes have ever seen in a playoff game. The Mets were toast from pitch number 1. What was amazing is Noah Syndergaard threw a spectacular game as well, but in sports, someone has to win and someone has to lose. The NY Jets should take note of what a team can do if they work hard and combine a good manager, a lot of heart, young and veteran talent, top flight coaching/leadership, and belief that they can win. From what I see, this Jet team is not only lacking talent in certain major spot(s), but they lack leadership and heart. Look at the difference in personnel on both teams in proportion to each teams respective competition in their respective sports. The Jets are in no way devoid of talent and on paper, should be competitive every game no matter who they play. The Mets on the other hand, were all injured and and top rely on young minor league players to help get them to the playoffs, a remarkable feat by the way.

Think about where this Met team was in early August, 2 games under .500 and 6.5 games out of the wildcard, behind STL, SF, PIT and MIA for that playoff spot. I would say that is akin to a 4-6 record after 10 weeks in the NFL and going on a 6 game winning streak to get into the playoff tournament. The Mets lost David Wright, Neil Walker, Lucas Duda, Matt Harvey, Jake DeGrom, Steve Matz, got nothing from Zack Wheeler rehabbing, got nothing from Travis D'Arnaud who is just clueless at this point, Michael Conforto was repeatedly sent up and down to the minors all season, yet had the fortitude to bust their buts to make the run that propelled them into the WC game. This Jet team seems to walk around with a sense of entitlement whereby they think they are way better then they actually are, and do not have to work hard to win, or, they are feeding off of their moribund head coach. This is not a bash Todd Bowles thread, but you have to wonder how a guy who is a zombie basically, can motivate millionaire players to work hard and perform at the top of their industry. Would you listen to Bowles? How many times have we heard one word answers from him, along with the standard Kotite'ish "We have to get better" 's, and the Rex / Hermish "We have to clean up these mistakes" etc?

Anyway, I am so proud of the Mets and the job Terry Collins, Sandy Alderson, and the entire Met management and FO have done to make them a perennial contender.

I wonder, if Sandy Alderson can come and be the Jets GM after the Mets win a WS LOL.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mets took 5 years to smartly and patiently rebuild under a new general manager which has led to a platform for which they can compete for a world championship for 5 years.

That is what Jets fans should take away from the Mets.  They are in Year 5 Game 163.  We are in Year 2 Game 4.  Patience, people.  Patience.

SAR I

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

The Mets took 5 years to smartly and patiently rebuild under a new general manager which has led to a platform for which they can compete for a world championship for 5 years.

That is what Jets fans should take away from the Mets.  They are in Year 5 Game 163.  We are in Year 2 Game 4.  Patience, people.  Patience.

SAR I

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

164 games to win a chance at a one game playoff series?    No wonder baseball is a dying sport.  

Games start in April when it's cold.  Then, the championship takes place in October and going into November (when it's cold).  

Baseball needs to transition to a 100 game season which ends when the NFL starts.  Never happen (too much money involved), but it's my opinion.  Who really gives a crap about baseball once the NFL kicks off anyway?

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

giphy.gif

There is something wrong with site functionality where instead of showing the image you imbedded it shows this "imagegif" message when posting from iOS devices.  It happens to me quite a lot.  Usually when I'm in bed on Saturday mornings.

Can you alert the tech staff?

SAR I

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hey you know what would be great? If I was finally starting to move on from last night and someone decided to bring an analogy into the football forum that reminded me of Familia giving up that home run in the 9th OH WAIT I WOULD HATE THAT

2 hours ago, Lizard King said:

All these Yankee fans who won't see another World Series until I have grandchildren are going to hate this thread. 

The yankees farm system is stacked and the Yankees have a front office that isn't cheap. The Mets are in better shape today, but you wasted 2 years of Degrom/Harvey/Matz/Noah with nothing to show for it. These young pitchers won't be around forever (injuries/free agency) and you don't have much youth on the offensive side of  the ball. Don't get too cocky over a couple of playoff appearances. In Yankee land, what the Mets "accomplished" the last 2 years would be considered failed seasons. 

12 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

164 games to win a chance at a one game playoff series?    No wonder baseball is a dying sport.  

That is one way to look at it. The other way to look at is that these Teams had 162 games to win their division and failed and are lucky MLB added a Wild Card spot. 

19 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The yankees farm system is stacked and the Yankees have a front office that isn't cheap. The Mets are in better shape today, but you wasted 2 years of Degrom/Harvey/Matz/Noah with nothing to show for it. These young pitchers won't be around forever (injuries/free agency) and you don't have much youth on the offensive side of  the ball. Don't get too cocky over a couple of playoff appearances. In Yankee land, what the Mets "accomplished" the last 2 years would be considered failed seasons. 

Keep telling yourself that. Compared to Terry Collins, Girardi couldn't manage a traffic intersection let alone a professional ball club.

52 minutes ago, SAR I said:

There is something wrong with site functionality where instead of showing the image you imbedded it shows this "imagegif" message when posting from iOS devices.  It happens to me quite a lot.  Usually when I'm in bed on Saturday mornings.

Can you alert the tech staff?

SAR I

Fixed.

3 hours ago, Lizard King said:

All these Yankee fans who won't see another World Series until I have grandchildren are going to hate this thread. 

Not sure if you maybe missed this season due to the Comcast \ YES dispute but the Yankees just laid the foundation for the next dynasty.

The season is over and in the time it took me to write this Gary Sanchez homered two times.

52 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

Keep telling yourself that. Compared to Terry Collins, Girardi couldn't manage a traffic intersection let alone a professional ball club.

LOL yet Girardi just did his best managing job ever this season. Which says a lot because he has won a World Series as a manager. 

And he has another one as a player.

Why did nobody hire Terry Collins for such a long time? Asking for a friend.

3 minutes ago, MetsJets1962 said:

We could start with emulating a team who actually makes the playoffs

Super Bowl is the goal (winning it). Nothing else matters at this point.

The Jets need to get a QB that can win it all.

Archived