Petty's Status

varjet

He injured his shoulder in the last preseason game.  His throwing shoulder.

He has not practiced since.

We have received only very cryptic information regarding his status.

For a QB, the shoulder is a very critical body part to function effectively.  It can also be quite fragile and require extensive time to heal.  Sometimes/oftentimes for QBs and pitchers, surgery is required.

For some athletes for whom the shoulder is critical, they never return to their previous status.  

Should we be concerned about Bryce Petty's true injury status?  Are the Jets thinking about his best long-term future?  Is it possible that he does not see the field this year?  Is he being rushed back out of desperation?   If he is too injured to see the field this year, will be scream that he should be put on injured reserve?

Time will tell.

What's really going to bring this place to shambles, is when he's healthy and shows people that he's just not a good quarterback. Out of college, I didn't think he even belonged on an NFL roster. He did show improvement, which ultimately I think he could be a competent backup. Hackenberg would have been a terrible pick anywhere above the 6th round, in the 2nd, it was an absolute abortion. We have 4 QBs on this roster and not one of them gives any hope for the future. That's not the scary part; what's truly troubling, is that our FO seems to think that there is QB talent on the roster that they might pass on legitimate talent for another OT or CB...  I still hope Petty gets to start at some point, much better watching a young guy sink or swim than someone without a future on our franchise. 

While many on this forum are sceaming for Petty, Bowles has made it clear that Geno is the #2 QB. So does that mean if Fitz eventually rides the pine that Geno is the next man up??? There has been little said of Petty in the media and from the CS. It seems like not only the team, CS, game plans, offense and defense is in disarray, but the Jet QB decisions continue to plague this team.

15 minutes ago, hawk said:

He has been throwing.  He wouldn't be be throwing at all if it was a serious at all.

Could you imagine the outcry if Petty was "able" to practice?

Has he been? I wasn't aware, but this is at least some good news. Throwing is definitely a step up from just "healing" or "getting better" comments, which one could say about someone a month after ACL surgery. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Has he been? I wasn't aware, but this is at least some good news. Throwing is definitely a step up from just "healing" or "getting better" comments, which one could say about someone a month after ACL surgery. 

Sure, but I wouldn't get too optimistic.  "Throwing", is a vague term.  Ryan Fitzpatrick technically throws as well, but his throws are god awful aberrations of what's typically considered an NFL throw.

Petty is, potentially, the only redeeming quality of this season.  If he can play, there is hope for the future beyond 2017 (not actually 2017). If he can't, this team will be really bad for a few years....or longer.  A dark ages with no Parcells to quick fix.  Possibly like the entire 70s decade for the Jets, or the post 2002 SB losing Raiders until they found Carr.  

Petty is fine.  He has been doing individual drills from what I remember reading.  I think the CS took advantage of the opportunity Pettys injury granted them.  Hackenberg has been getting additional team reps.  So I think they have just taken their time with Petty so Hack gets extended work before going back to full time film study the rest of the year.

1 minute ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Petty is fine.  He has been doing individual drills from what I remember reading.  I think the CS took advantage of the opportunity Pettys injury granted them.  Hackenberg has been getting additional team reps.  So I think they have just taken their time with Petty so Hack gets extended work before going back to full time film study the rest of the year.

NY Jets QB grooming school. 

4 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

What's really going to bring this place to shambles, is when he's healthy and shows people that he's just not a good quarterback. Out of college, I didn't think he even belonged on an NFL roster. He did show improvement, which ultimately I think he could be a competent backup. Hackenberg would have been a terrible pick anywhere above the 6th round, in the 2nd, it was an absolute abortion. We have 4 QBs on this roster and not one of them gives any hope for the future. That's not the scary part; what's truly troubling, is that our FO seems to think that there is QB talent on the roster that they might pass on legitimate talent for another OT or CB...  I still hope Petty gets to start at some point, much better watching a young guy sink or swim than someone without a future on our franchise. 

How do you or anyone else know these guys (Petty & Hack) absolutely cannot play at all? Ok, granted, maybe they can't play, maybe our CS cannot get them ready properly (a recurring theme), but can we see first please?  Lets see these guys play first before we write them off. Obviously someone saw something in these guys. If they suck, they suck.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes, hes been throwing for some time, just not in team drills. 

4 hours ago, MaxAF said:

While many on this forum are sceaming for Petty, Bowles has made it clear that Geno is the #2 QB. So does that mean if Fitz eventually rides the pine that Geno is the next man up??? There has been little said of Petty in the media and from the CS. It seems like not only the team, CS, game plans, offense and defense is in disarray, but the Jet QB decisions continue to plague this team.

If that was truly the case, the Jets would have stashed Petty on IR...but they did not.  They want him back IMO to play some time this year, as soon as he is healed when the Jets are 1-6 or thereabouts.

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I would think if it were a bruised shoulder with no structural damage he would be OK to play 6 weeks later.

You can separate the shoulder (AC joint) without structural/ligament damage that would require surgery.  His hit and MOI are very suggestive of this.

6-8 weeks would not be an unreasonable downtime before returning to practice.

5 hours ago, varjet said:

He injured his shoulder in the last preseason game.  His throwing shoulder.

He has not practiced since.

We have received only very cryptic information regarding his status.

For a QB, the shoulder is a very critical body part to function effectively.  It can also be quite fragile and require extensive time to heal.  Sometimes/oftentimes for QBs and pitchers, surgery is required.

For some athletes for whom the shoulder is critical, they never return to their previous status.  

Should we be concerned about Bryce Petty's true injury status?  Are the Jets thinking about his best long-term future?  Is it possible that he does not see the field this year?  Is he being rushed back out of desperation?   If he is too injured to see the field this year, will be scream that he should be put on injured reserve?

Time will tell.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The injury may be a bit worse than originally thought but i also think the jets are playing games here as well.

Yeah on the one hand there are bruises and then there are bruises. But how many bruises - even bad ones - take nearly 2 months to heal with the medical attention these guys have access to? The initial estimate from Bowles on September 5th (granted, from Mehta on Twitter) was about a week or two. It's a direct quote, and I can't think of a self-serving angle for Mehta to have just made it up:

A 1-2 week bruise - if it really was only a bruise - doesn't take 3-5x that length to heal in a 6'3" tall, 230-lb, 25 year old athlete in they physical prime of his life. They're either playing games (as you put it), or it may have been more serious than just a bruise, like an initially-overlooked sprain or something. But what are the odds the team's sports-medicine orthopedist for the past 3 decades - chairman of orthopedic surgery at Lenox Hill (just looked it up) - would miss that when examining an NFL QB's injured shoulder? 

I agree something's not adding up.

Archived