Devin Smith Close to Return

AFJF

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-2015-second-round-pick-devin-smith-close-to-returning-1.12457637

ADVERTISEMENT | ADVERTISE ON NEWSDAY

Smith was a second-round pick out of Ohio State last year, a speedster with terrific athleticism, as evidenced by his eye-popping one-handed touchdown catch against Miami of Ohio in 2012 — long before Odell Beckham Jr. made those acrobatic types of grabs a routine sight in the NFL.

The Jets drafted him with the hope that he would provide a field-stretching element to the offense. But Smith injured a lung and a few ribs in training camp, sidelining him for several weeks. Once he returned, he struggled through the ups and downs of life as a rookie, trying to find his place on the team.

Against Tennessee on Dec. 12, 2015, Smith was covering a punt in the third quarter when his right knee gave out. He was carted off the field and found out a short time later his season was done because of a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

He finished with just nine catches for 115 yards and a touchdown — and plenty of disappointment.

A humbled Smith used the time since to re-evaluate himself while he was rehabbing, and his 16-month son Devin Jr. has had as big an impact on him as any coach or teammate.

Jets videos

“I got to watch him grow up a little bit and it really put some perspective to my life,” Smith said. “My little boy, it’s like he learns something new every day. It’s such a blessing to watch him grow. And I’m able to do what I do. Everything’s all good.”

Smith is getting better at just the right time as the Jets’ receiving corps took a major hit when Eric Decker was lost for the season with a shoulder injury. After Brandon Marshall and Quincy Enunwa, New York will have to rely on several inexperienced players , including rookies Robby Anderson, Jalin Marshall and Charone Peake.

“I just can’t wait to come back and do whatever I can to just help this team,” Smith said. “We’re down a couple of wide receivers, so adding me in, I think would just be good for all of us.”

Smith said he has been running and cutting every day, and his knee has felt good. He doesn’t think he has any limitations at this point and just needs to work his way back into game shape.

“In terms of practicing and doing some individual (drills) and getting my feet wet again, I’m looking forward to that, and I feel I will be able to do that,” he said. “In terms of playing in a game or how much playing time I’d get, I’m going to leave that up to the coaches.”

ADVERTISEMENT | ADVERTISE ON NEWSDAY

After a lost rookie season, Smith seemed a bit of an afterthought during training camp because of the uncertainty surrounding his knee and the influx of young receivers.

Smith never doubted he’d be back, though, even if people outside the facility were writing him off.

“That’s really kind of how it’s been ever since I was in high school,” said Smith, who was a football, track and basketball star while growing up in Massillon, Ohio. “Everybody forgot about me and I burst on the scene. It’s nothing new to me. I’m just sticking to the script and staying focused, and I’ll do what I’ve got to do.”

Coach Todd Bowles said he’s “hopeful” Smith will be able to get back in pads “in the next couple of weeks.”

Smith will just be happy not having to watch games on TV, instead of the sideline, and wishing he could make a play.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr. Devin Smith

1 Jets Drive

Florham Park, NJ

Dear Mr. Smith,

It has come to our attention that you plan to return from the injured reserve list before the end of this current season. It is with deepest respect and absolute concern for your well-being that we'd advise you stay on IR until you are released or traded, whereupon you can join a team with a quarterback capable of not causing you to be murdered. 

Best wishes,

The Fates

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mr. Devin Smith

1 Jets Drive

Florham Park, NJ

Dear Mr. Smith,

It has come to our attention that you plan to return from the injured reserve list before the end of this current season. It is with deepest respect and absolute concern for your well-being that we'd advise you stay on IR until you are released or traded, whereupon you can join a team with a quarterback capable of not causing you to be murdered. 

Best wishes,

The Fates

I think he will be safe. He will be 20 yards in front of the football.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

That is great. Let him come back and he can just run some vertical routes straight down the field. That gives the Jets a year to find someone to throw him the ball.

Petty time.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Devin Smith bobble head day coming soon. 

Lucky you. 

He's a good kid who got hurt, you have to be happy for him, and Fitzpatrick needs someone to fill Decker's shoes and you never know who it may be. 

SAR I

Vertical threat aside, I'd like to see him be moved around in order to get him open underneath and use his speed and athleticism in the open field. That is, if Fitzpatrick can ever get off the first read to find him.

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

He's a good kid who got hurt, you have to be happy for him, and Fitzpatrick needs someone to fill Decker's shoes and you never know who it may be. 

SAR I

Sadly you wont get to see him showcase his speed and ability to the stretch the field until we inset a QB who can throw the ball further than 35 yards 

I never said he was a bad kid 

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Vertical threat aside, I'd like to see him be moved around in order to get him open underneath and use his speed and athleticism in the open field. That is, if Fitzpatrick can ever get off the first read to find him.

The only way that happens is if fritz leads him in stride & what are the chances of that happening 

I have zero expectations for him.  I have seen significantly more separation from Robby Anderson on deep routes than Smith.  Smith showed no willingness to fight for the ball in the air on 50/50s. 

This guy has the feel of another horrible Jets 2nd round bust.  If he was a 4th rounder, I might be more optimistic.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Petty time.

Petty would be outstanding in getting him the ball.  Alot of what folks were complaining about were directly related to Fitz inability to get Smith the ball.  He was also a rookie which didn't help.

Smith can be very good if the Jets QB can just get him the Dam Ball!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Sadly you wont get to see him showcase his speed and ability to the stretch the field until we inset a QB who can throw the ball further than 35 yards

Bryce Petty may get a look before this year is over.  We aren't the only ones who know how difficult our early schedule is.  The Jets are fully aware as well.  Fitzpatrick will survive the year.

SAR I

Unlike a majority of the posters here I am looking forward to Smith returning.  I think that his true abilities will be shown once we switch to a QB that can actually utilize his speed.  You haven't seen much from Robbie Anderson much during the regular season yet either for the same reason.  Whether it be Geno or Petty it will be nice to see us stretch the field.  It would also open up some running lanes by the way.

Well they can definitely use him. There is an open job waiting for him. If he can be anything like he was at Ohio State we could use his long ball capabilities. He did get a chance last season and when used in important situations did not make plays. If he separates Fitz can hit him. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well they can definitely use him. There is an open job waiting for him. If he can be anything like he was at Ohio State we could use his long ball capabilities. He did get a chance last season and when used in important situations did not make plays. If he separates Fitz can hit him. 

Hit him 10 yards behind maybe 

I hear/read a lot here about Smith & Petty being able to take advantage of all of our mostly untried speedy WR, something Sixpatrick clearly can't do.  While I wholly agree that Petty has the arm I must point out that Smith, not so much.  I believe that, stats wise, Smith is only very slightly better at going deep than Sixp.  

So I'm hoping/praying that when  the time comes that is will somehow be Petty time and not Smith time.        

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

I hear/read a lot here about Smith & Petty being able to take advantage of all of our mostly untried speedy WR, something Sixpatrick clearly can't do.  While I wholly agree that Petty has the arm I must point out that Smith, not so much.  I believe that, stats wise, Smith is only very slightly better at going deep than Sixp.  

So I'm hoping/praying that when  the time comes that is will somehow be Petty time and not Smith time.        

Fitz's deep passes fall short, Geno's land out of bounds.

Let's hope Petty is somewhere in the middle.

3 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Hit him 10 yards behind maybe 

Look did you see Fitz hit receivers in stride against Buff for substantial yardage. It was not just ten yarders but I'll take those any day.  He can make those throws but when he's two TDs behind you get picks. Because the defense plays for the pass. Look he's having a bad year so far but so is the team. 

Archived