Joe Benigno reckons we should take a punt on Tom Coughlin

MetsJets1962

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't disagree with this. 

Herm, Mangini, Rex,Bowles  are or were first year head coaches, and all hired by Woody. So I can see where this is coming from. I would be making calls to guys like Billick, Shanahan, Coughlin, Gruden, Cowher and see what it would take to get them on board.

16 minutes ago, MetsJets1962 said:

I mean I want Bowles out but I'm not sure this is a great idea. The team is old enough as it is without an ageing coach. What direction do you guys think we go, I think this needs a massive overhaul.

You know, the coach doesn't player. His age is irrelevant. Coughlin would instantly be the best coach we've had since Parcells... and the first actual HC we've hired since. Not just another over-promoted coordinator.

3 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Herm, Mangini, Rex,Bowles  are or were first year head coaches, and all hired by Woody. So I can see where this is coming from. I would be making calls to guys like Billick, Shanahan, Coughlin, Gruden, Cowher and see what it would take to get them on board.

Cowher,Billick and Gruden enjoy their TV lives working much less the the 7 days a week a Coaching job requires..

You know, the coach doesn't player. His age is irrelevant. Coughlin would instantly be the best coach we've had since Parcells... and the first actual HC we've hired since. Not just another over-promoted coordinator.

I get what your saying but the guys 70 years old, head coach is a huge remit for a guy that age

I'm usually a person who has patience but I have soured on Bowles really quickly. He should definitely be gone by the end of the year. We are getting inexcusable results with all our talent on defense. 

As far as Coughlin goes...meh. I don't know how I feel about that. It would be nice to have someone with experience and knows how to handle New York. 

Right now, I'm interested in the following coaches: Todd Haley, Rob Chudzinski, Jim Schwartz...all I can think of off the top of my head. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Josh McDaniels raid the Patriots coaching staff its the only way. 

Woody needs to pen up the checkbook. 

Belicheck doesnt prepare his coaches to be head coaches. That's why his coaching tree is bare. 

34 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Billick has been out for, 10 years?  Gruden is not giving up his dream job of MNF, why would he.  I think similar on Cowher, he had offers for years, and turned them down.  Why would you give up a cushy 7 figure TV gig for the grind of being a HC of a team that is going no where, and is not run by the Rooneys?   Coughlin is old, like, really old.

9 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Belicheck doesnt prepare his coaches to be head coaches. That's why his coaching tree is bare. 

I say that's short sighted. I would love to tank. Bring in Josh & give him 3 years under Macc to rebuild & try to create an OFFENSIVE team for once. I think Josh would know how to get these guys open & he's smart enough to know who might be too dumb to put in a more complicated offense. Jets need to spend money on the Oline with younger tougher lineman.

NO MORE DEFENSIVE COACHES! STOP ALREADY!

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I say that's short sighted. I would love to tank. Bring in Josh & give him 3 years under Macc to rebuild & try to create an OFFENSIVE team for once. I think Josh would know how to get these guys open & he's smart enough to know who might be too dumb to put in a more complicated offense. Jets need to spend money on the Oline with younger tougher lineman.

There has yet to be one coach from his staff that has had success when he left. Houston is full of ex Patriots coaches. Our DL is coaches by an ex-patriot coach. I would rather try and steal a guy like Sean Payton and surround him with what he needs. A proven Head Coach.

3 years to rebuild? Your not selling that to anyone

Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

At 1-5 of course they are. Everyone sucks and is a moron. I get it. Fire the coach, fire the GM, bench the QB, then bench the backup, Woody needs to sell the team, cut everyone. Got it.

Exactly they built this team they coach this team 1-5 is pathetic we are the laughing stock of the NFL 

37 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Would be a panic move.  Let's see what happens the rest of the year.  But I do like Coughlin.

What would be a panic move, getting rid of the idiot we have now? Guess you enjoyed last nights extravaganza...

I'm not ready to quit on Bowles yet, but I see and agree with the points many make here to do so. 

But I'll play along. So you say an EXPERIENCED HC from the offensive side of the ball?

Sean Peyton from NO once he's fired 

or

Norv Turner from Minn.

Archived