The Hypocrisy of the New York Media and Fanbase

UnitedWhofans

Over the offseason, the media went nuts with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Muhammad Wilkerson. They wanted Wilkerson extended and Fitzpatrick brought back.

Manish Mehta wrote articles about how they should resign Fitzpatrick. Two grown men on SNY grew fricking beards to resign Fitzpatrick.

Joe Beningo was harping about resigning Wilkerson all the damn time. Fans were calling the stations agreeing.

So Maccagnan does both of these things, they are now 1-5, and the media and fanbase are beginning to sharpen their knives of hypocrisy.

This has always been the problem with the Jets. The media and fanbase get on them way too much and way too quickly. The Giants don't get torched at the same level of the Jets. There is an expectation. The Giants are the class organization and the Jets are the freak show. That will always be the narrative.

In New York, the media capital of the world, where the sports talk format was invented, the noise is so cacophonous that the organization will hear it.

Same with the fanbase, going on the Jets Facebook page and ripping them.

Now, usually, GMs and owner who listen to people in the seats end up becoming them, but in this town, it's almost impossible not to hear.

Which is why I have always believed that for the franchise to ever be successful again, they will need to move to a place where they are the top dog in town and the media pressure is less echoed. A place like St. Louis would be great for them. There is no rival to live up to.

Till then, It is going to be the same ole' Jets

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Over the offseason, the media went nuts with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Muhammad Wilkerson. They wanted Wilkerson extended and Fitzpatrick brought back.

Manish Mehta wrote articles about how they should resign Fitzpatrick. Two grown men on SNY grew fricking beards to resign Fitzpatrick.

Joe Beningo was harping about resigning Wilkerson all the damn time. Fans were calling the stations agreeing.

So Maccagnan does both of these things, they are now 1-5, and the media and fanbase are beginning to sharpen their knives of hypocrisy.

This has always been the problem with the Jets. The media and fanbase get on them way too much and way too quickly. The Giants don't get torched at the same level of the Jets. There is an expectation. The Giants are the class organization and the Jets are the freak show. That will always be the narrative.

In New York, the media capital of the world, where the sports talk format was invented, the noise is so cacophonous that the organization will hear it.

Now, usually, GMs and owner who listen to people in the seats end up becoming them, but in this town, it's almost impossible not to hear.

Which is why I have always believed that for the franchise to ever be successful again, they will need to move to a place where they are the top dog in town and the media pressure is less echoed. A place like St. Louis would be great for them. There is no rival to live up to.

Will you be going with them?

I think both of those were the right moves, especially at the time. Mo is a great player. Just because he is not playing very well right now, for whatever reason, does not mean re-signing him to a long term deal was not the right move. Furthermore, he was coming off a very good season. There was no reason to believe he would not continue playing well.  

Fitz was signed to a short term deal. A one year rental, really. You could argue 12mil was too much. And maybe it was. But there is really not much of a commitment to him. He's gone after this year. And for starting QBs, thats cheap. There was reason for the media to want Fitz back. He had a good season, he was a good leader, the Jets won 10 games (regardless of schedule), he had chemistry with the receivers, he knows and is comfortable in the offense and has history with the O-coordinator and finally, the Jets did not have a proven option other than Fitz. And even if they decided to go with Geno, it would be critical to have a legit vet backup.   

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time, both of these moves were good. And keeping Mo was a good move, even now. IMO. 

Also, do you really think Macc gives a rats behnd what the media thinks???? Maybe Woody does, but not Macc and not Bowles. 

2 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Although I am sick and tired of your threads and constant Bowles support, I agree with you on this one. I for one didn't want Fitz and I didn't want Wilkerson extended but I am in the minority unfortunately. 

I wanted Fitzpatrick nowhere near this team and I want Bowles fired its time to move on from both these morons. 

Bringing back Fitzpatrick was the correct move despite me personally wanting the team to move on from him. However continuing to trot Fitzpatrick out there every week is downright comical. As for Wilkerson he gets a little more leeway with me because he's been a good player in this league for years. I know he'll turn it around. The book is written on Fitzpatrick no need for him to still be the starter. 

Just now, kevinc855 said:

They made the right moves. Ftiz just won 10 games and played excellent. They didn't overpay or overcommit with a 1 year deal.

Mo is a great player and if you are trying to win you don't let good players leave.

What dont you understand he didnt beat anyone we had the easiest schedule in the NFL in 2015. 

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

They made the right moves. Ftiz just won 10 games and played excellent. They didn't overpay or overcommit with a 1 year deal.

Mo is a great player and if you are trying to win you don't let good players leave.

You used great and good in the same sentence which is he since getting his money??

I don't think the Fitz and Mo moves were the primary reasons why the Jets are so awful this year.   It is hard to look at any one player's performance, because they are all interconnected

I see four primary reasons:

1)  The Jets' depleted roster is finally catching up with it.  Dee Milliner did not work out at CB.  He is not on an NFL roster now.  Macc's draft picks are still in development/evolution/evaluation period.  And Idzik's hoarding of money required the Jets to spend it....

2)  Macc's Year 1 Competitive Rebuild Splurge unfortunately only had 1 year of efficacy.  I combination of Revis' eventual decline and his wrist injury, which apparently prevented and/or dissauded him from training in the offseason has left the Jets with a corner who is not effective enough man-to-man.  That has left Gilcrist exposed, and then Pryor exposed.  With no Milliner, and no Cromartie (as bad as he was, he looks better than this year) has basically created a useless secondary.  Skrine cannot play outside.  David Harris is now hurt/ineffective, another one year signing from last year.   That money was supposed to last at least 2 years, if not 3, in increased competitiveness.  It was basically a one year wonder.

3)  So if Macc's Year 1 Competitive Rebuild Splurge won him GM of the Year, his buildup of the roster this year was just awful.  We have seen signs that he gets it-they supposedly tried to trade up for Wentz.  They tried to sign the lineman from the Ravens who signed with the Raiders.  They tried to trade up for Tunsil.  I would like to see a team build long-term on the lines, and at the Edge.  We already had enough DL.  The OL is not effective.  Forte was signed as a pass-catching RB (rather than a TE), but he is used as a primary RB.  The team has no real RB and running game.  4 QBs, no TE, no RB, no CB, 4 DTs, no real Edge, 4 SS and one bad FS.   The roster is not built to win with the current coaches' scheme.  He signed players like McClendon, Jarvis Jenkins and Bruce Carter who have limited use and cost them compensatory draft picks.

4) The coaches are just doing an awful job. Games are not given away in the NFL-they obivously did something right.  But if in year 1 they outsmarted the league 10x (at least the teams they beat), they did not take their game to the next level.  Now they are being outplayed and outsmarted.  I am all for giving Bowles a chance, but if he coaching this bad, they may need a change.  Macc needs to wait for another off season to get better.   Bowles needs to up his game now-this will create issues in the offseason, as FAs will not want to sign with the team if they think Bowles is a deadman.

But most importantly, the Jets need a real Director of Football Operations.  Right now, Woody is a less competent but quieter version of Jerry Jones.  My guess is that Woody is telling Bowles to play Fitz again.  They continue to believe that Fitz can win them 5 more games against the weak part of the schedule.  That may be correct, but Fitz is not coming back next year.  Those 5 wins accomplish nothing.  

Bowles and Macc both appear to be 1-1.  If they go 1-2, its over.  Picking higher in the draft will help them.

31 minutes ago, peebag said:

There's a whole lot of us on this site (me being one of them) who thought this team was so-so...but they way that they're losing games is really, really disturbing.

+1000

I had them at 7-9, never thought we could be looking at 3-13.

SAR I

Everything is bad on this team.  Coach stimey iz making bad decisions all the time. 

Coaching is the #1 reason we suck.  Youll start hearing about it when the mutiny begins around week 10.  Players will be leaking rumors. 

Coach stimey needs to step down and do us all a favor i think he even knowa he is in over his head

47 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Unknown thats your guess. NOT FACT 

Joe, are you trying to say that you think we might have a winning record with Geno?  I mean sure, we don't know if we would be 1-5 or 0-6 right now with him, but the question is does anyone realistically think we would be 4-2 or even 3-3 WITH Geno starting every game?

Joe, are you trying to say that you think we might have a winning record with Geno?  I mean sure, we don't know if we would be 1-5 or 0-6 right now with him, but the question is does anyone realistically think we would be 4-2 or even 3-3 WITH Geno starting every game?

Its not impossible. Geno does open up different elements of the offense, and unlikely he has 11 ints at this point. Fitz is playing much worse than 2014 Geno

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Can we give this guy one thread to dump all this stuff into? Like @kelly?

Last night in another thread this OP said 1-15 would be good. Now this? And he is a fan of one of the greatest classic rock and roll bands of all time. I just cannot figure this guy out.

47 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Everything is bad on this team.  Coach stimey iz making bad decisions all the time. 

Coaching is the #1 reason we suck.  Youll start hearing about it when the mutiny begins around week 10.  Players will be leaking rumors. 

Coach stimey needs to step down and do us all a favor i think he even knowa he is in over his head

RFLMAO Coach Stimey.

1 minute ago, ASH1962 said:

Last night in another thread this OP said 1-15 would be good. Now this? And he is a fan of one of the greatest classic rock and roll bands of all time. I just cannot figure this guy out.

His avatar is of Dr Who?? That's a BBC TV show??:wacko:

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Wait, how are you excluding Macc from the blame? IIRC, wasn't he the one that traded for Fitz? Or was it Woody that said "Get me Fitz and I'll sign u up for the GM role"? Fitz is all on Macc and Bowles, from start to finish. So is Wilkerson. If Woody was desperate for Mo, he would've signed long time ago.

Lol at you even bringing up the "Giants are class organization" BS. They've just lucked into two SBs and have an average QB playing. I think its very well established how class those Giants are. Your bs about media and fanbase is just that. BS. 

So you wanna jump the bandwagon. Why not just say so? And yeah, lets move to St. Louis because the last team there loved it. This is a business. If a GM can't handle the media, wtf did he take a job in NY? 

Oh, **** off already.

Archived